Home

'Know Thy Enemy': Tampa Bay Rays Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

This is a discussion on 'Know Thy Enemy': Tampa Bay Rays Franchise [MLB 13: The Show] within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
'Know Thy Enemy': Tampa Bay Rays Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

TAMPA BAY RAYS 2013 SEASON PREVIEW

The names have changed, but will the results stay the same for the Tampa Bay Rays?

Always a money-conscious franchise by necessity, the Rays have nonetheless been a winner in recent years by making sound free-agent signings and striking it rich with young pitching.

They'll need that formula even more in 2013 after the latest round of changes to what had been the core of a lineup that had made three playoff appearances in five years.

Gone to the Kansas City Royals via trade is workhorse starting pitcher James Shields, a double-digit winner and 200-plus innings pitcher for six straight seasons; and super-athletic center fielder B.J. Upton, who signed a five-year, $75.25 million deal with the Atlanta Braves after combining for 51 home runs, 159 runs batted in and 67 stolen bases in the last two years.

Prospect-turned-regular Desmond Jennings will take over Upton's old spot in the middle of the outfield after playing 111 of his 132 games last season in left. The 26-year-old Alabama native was seventh in Rookie of the Year voting in 2011 in just 63 games, then hit .246 with 13 homers, 47 RBIs and 31 steals in year No. 1 as a legitimate full-time starter.

Jennings, incidentally, will make $486,900 in 2013.

"I feel like center field is my natural position," he said. "It's what I played throughout the minor leagues. It will be a little bit different from last year, but that's what I like. I feel like I get better reads out in center. There's more responsibility. You've got more ground to cover, but it's a position I love to play."

Making up for Shields' absence, while more glaring, may be easier for a team whose composite 3.19 earned run average was the best in the majors since 1990.

The Rays enter the schedule with reigning Cy Young Award winner David Price in the No. 1 starter's slot, followed by hard-throwing 23-year-old lefty Matt Moore, 2011 Rookie of the Year Jeremy Hellickson, three-time double-digit winner Jeff Niemann and 25-year-old prospect Alex Cobb.

Niemann was limited to just eight starts last season by a broken leg in 2012, but he's 40-26 across 97 career big-league appearances, a 60.6 win percentage that's second on the team to Price's 66.3.

And waiting in the wings at Triple-A, just the No. 36 prospect in the majors according to Baseball America, 23-year-old Chris Archer (139 strikeouts in 129 minor-league innings in 2012).

"We are a turnover team. We do change things on an annual basis," manager Joe Maddon said. "Welcome to the Rays."

2012 FINISH (90-72) - Third Place (AL East)

KEY OFFSEASON ADDITIONS: Wil Myers, Yunel Escobar, Jake Odorizzi

KEY OFFSEASON SUBTRACTIONS: James Shields, B.J. Upton, Jeff Keppinger, Wade Davis

PROJECTED LINEUP: C Jose Molina, 1B James Loney, 2B Kelly Johnson, 3B Evan Longoria, SS Yunel Escobar, LF Matt Joyce, CF Desmond Jennings, RF Ben Zobrist, DH Luke Scott

PROJECTED ROTATION: LHP David Price, LHP Matt Moore, RHP Jeremy Hellickson, RHP Jeff Niemann, RHP Alex Cobb

PROJECTED CLOSER: RHP Fernando Rodney

MANAGER: Joe Maddon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Pro

Re: 'Know Thy Enemy': Tampa Bay Rays Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

HOW GOOD CAN THE STARTERS BE?

Three words. Still. Darn. Good. As one scout put it during spring training last year, "The starting pitching depth is ridiculous. Their second five starting pitchers are as good as some of the other starting fives out there." And the landscape doesn't change all that much without Shields. A former No. 1 overall pick (2007), Price followed a subpar 12-13 record in 2011 with his first 20-win season (20-5) a league-best earned run average for starters (2.56 in 211 innings) and 205 strikeouts and 173 hits allowed, which translated to a 12th-place finish in MVP voting. Moore was just 11-11 in his first full season as a starter, but posted a 3.01 ERA in the back half of the year after the number was 4.42 in the first half. Hellickson slumped from 13-10 to 10-11, but still allowed just 163 hits in 177 innings and saw his strikeouts rise from 117 to 124 in 12 fewer innings. Niemann was kept in spring training ahead of Archer, most likely to maintain a year of contract service on the youngster, and Cobb was 11-9 in 23 starts in 2012.

OK, BUT WILL THERE BE ENOUGH OFFENSE?

The Rays were 11th in runs scored, 13th in hits 12th in batting average and 11th in slugging percentage among American League teams last season, yet still managed 90 wins. Many think things would have been different had it not been for continuing injury problems for Evan Longoria, who managed 17 homers and 55 RBIs in just 273 at-bats in 74 games. He went for 33 and 99, respectively, across 483 at-bats in 133 games a season before. Elsewhere, as much or more will be needed from the aforementioned Jennings, second baseman-turned-right fielder Ben Zobrist (.270, 20 HR, 74 RBI) and designated hitter Luke Scott (.229, 14 HR, 55 RBI). Also in the wings is No. 4-ranked big-league prospect Wil Myers, who was brought from the Royals in the Shields trade. In 134 games at Double-A and Triple-A last season, Myers hit 37 homers, drove in 109 runs and hit .314.

X-FACTOR: 1B JAMES LONEY

The exit of Carlos Pena prompted the offseason acquisition of James Loney (one year, $2 million), who skidded to just six home runs and 41 runs batted in across 144 games with Toronto and Boston last season. Previously, he'd managed at least 10 homers per season for five straight years with the Los Angeles Dodgers, including a sixth-place finish in NL rookie of the year balloting in 2007. Ominously, Loney hit just .235 in his initial 14 spring games, which could prompt a quick roster move by the Rays to get Myers into the fold.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
Pro

2013 TAMPA BAY RAYS PROSPECT HANDBOOK

CHRIS ARCHER, RHP
Archer throws two well above-average pitches with his quick arm and easy delivery. His fastball sits at 92-96 mph, has been clocked as high as 98 and features good run and sink. His success in the second half of the season coincided with his willingness to pitch aggressively off his fastball, which allowed him to get ahead in the count more often. In turn, that helped him do a better job of setting up his slider, his most consistent and best all-around pitch. His slider operates in the mid-90s with hard, cutting tilt and impressive depth. He has improved his changeup over the past two seasons, but it's average at best and he just uses it as a show-me pitch to keep hitters off balance. Control problems have plagued Archer throughout his career, as he has averaged 5.1 walks per nine innings in the minors. His mechanics are fine, which leaves most observers to believe his command issues result from his inconsistent focus and mental approach. When he got on his second-half roll at Durham, he walked just 12 in 45 innings, but then he issued 11 free passes in 18 September frames with the Rays. A good athlete, Archer also was used as a pinch-runner in the majors. He moves well off the mound but is prone to making errors and must do a better job of controlling the running game.

TAYLOR GUERRIERI, RHP
Clocked as high as 98 mph in high school, Guerrieri pitched at 90-95 with his fastball in his first pro summer. His two-seamer has hard, late sink and armside run, and he does an excellent job of spotting it on both sides of the plate and down in the strike zone. His sharp 77-81 mph curveball has good depth and is a swing-and-miss offering at times. His changeup has a chance to give him a third plus pitch as he incorporates it more into his repertoire. Guerrieri has a solid delivery and ideal pitcher's body, and he walked just five batters in his 12 starts. He displays a strong competitive drive and there were no issues with his makeup in 2012.

HAK-JU LEE, SS
Lee's calling card is his defensive acumen. He has quick-twitch actions, plus speed and a sixth sense about where to position himself. His hands are soft and he bolsters his above-average arm strength with good accuracy and a quick release. At the plate, Lee tends to slap at pitches and uses the opposite field more often than not. While his power is modest, he can drive the ball to the gaps. He needs to do a better job of working counts and getting on base so he can take advantage of his plus speed. He knows how to steal bases and swiped 37 in 46 tries in 2012, an improvement on his 33-for-49 total from the 2011 season.

ALEX COLOME, RHP
Colome has a special arm that generates impressive velocity and good movement. His fastball sits at 93-95 mph with excellent sink and some armside run. He also throws two breaking balls, a sharp curveball with tight spin and an upper-80s slider that's less consistent. He has added fade to his changeup, but he lacks the confidence to throw it when behind in the count. Colome made the transition from a thrower to a pitcher in 2012 after trying to strike out every batter earlier in his career. He struggled at the beginning of his starts early in the campaign before he improved his pitch selection and command.

RICHIE SHAFFER, 3B
Shaffer is the most polished hitter and biggest impact bat in the system. He employs a patient approach with good discipline, uses his hands well and has power to all fields. His swing generates leverage and impressive bat speed that creates loud contact. He'll chase out of the strike zone at times but has the ability to recognize pitches. Just the second third baseman ever drafted in the first round by the Rays, he's blocked by the first, Evan Longoria. Capable of playing first base and right field, Shaffer will remain at the hot corner for now. He has solid athleticism and ability to make throws from a variety of angles. He possesses average speed, plus arm strength and good instincts. He's a hard worker who loves to play.

* Scouting Reports are brought to you by BaseballAmerica.com

Old 04-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
Pro

Tampa Bay Rays April 2013 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Apr 2vs Baltimore OriolesW, 2-0
Apr 3vs Baltimore OriolesW, 8-1
Apr 4vs Baltimore OriolesW, 7-1
Apr 5vs Cleveland IndiansL, 1-3
Apr 6vs Cleveland IndiansW, 2-1
Apr 7vs Cleveland IndiansL, 1-3
Apr 8at Texas RangersL, 1-4
Apr 9at Texas RangersW, 4-1
Apr 10at Texas RangersL, 2-6
Apr 12at Boston Red SoxL, 1-4
Apr 13at Boston Red Sox
Apr 14at Boston Red Sox
Apr 15at Boston Red Sox
Apr 16at Baltimore Orioles
Apr 17at Baltimore Orioles
Apr 18at Baltimore Orioles
Apr 19vs Oakland Athletics
Apr 20vs Oakland Athletics
Apr 21vs Oakland Athletics
Apr 22vs New York Yankees
Apr 23vs New York Yankees
Apr 24vs New York Yankees
Apr 25at Chicago White Sox
Apr 26at Chicago White Sox
Apr 27at Chicago White Sox
Apr 28at Chicago White Sox
Apr 30at Kansas City Royals

Last edited by CBMerling; 05-07-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

I really like Archer a lot. He was actually the Cubs top pitching prospect that went to Tampa in the Garza deal. Before my real franchise, I was messing around with the M's and couldn't do anything with Hultzen so I traded him along with Triunfel and E. Thames to Tampa for Archer and Bourgeoius.

Good luck with the Rays looking forward to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Pro

Tampa Bay Rays 2013 Depth Chart
  • Catcher
  • J. Molina
  • C. Giminez
  • First Base
  • L. Scott
  • J. Loney
  • Second Base
  • K. Johnson
  • R. Roberts
  • Third Base
  • E. Longoria
  • Shortstop
  • Y. Escobar
  • S. Rodriguez
  • Left Field
  • M. Joyce
  • S. Duncan
  • Center Field
  • D. Jennings
  • Right Field
  • B. Zobrist
  • Starting Pitcher
  • D. Price
  • M. Moore
  • A. Cobb
  • J. Hellickson
  • J. Neimann
  • Relief Pitcher
  • R. Hernandez
  • C. Archer
  • J. Peralta
  • J. Wright
  • J. McGee
  • K. Farnsworth
  • Closer
  • F. Rodney
  • Designated Hitter
  • J. Loney
  • L. Scott
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
I really like Archer a lot. He was actually the Cubs top pitching prospect that went to Tampa in the Garza deal. Before my real franchise, I was messing around with the M's and couldn't do anything with Hultzen so I traded him along with Triunfel and E. Thames to Tampa for Archer and Bourgeoius.

Good luck with the Rays looking forward to it.
You know what? I should've added Wil Myers to that prospect list, because he was traded to Tampa Bay in the Jake Shields trade with Kansas City. I've already brought Chris Archer into the pen as a long relief to start the season. So he might be in the rotation before you know it.

I've already played Opening Day, but it is getting late, so I'm gonna refrain from posting it until tomorrow. But it was a good one. Tried to pump out some replies to start this thread before I called it a night, so I could get something started. Get the wheels turning for those that have been following my previous threads, HAHA!

Mission ACCOMPLISHED!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Rookie

skeletore2002's Arena

OVR: 5

Following. I've always been intrigued by the idea of using the Rays, but I can't bring myself to play 81 games in that stadium. And I'm a sucker for realism, so I can't have them playing in a different stadium for home games.

Good luck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »