Home

TheNumber35 Plays 162: A Colorado Rockies Dynasty (The Show 13)

This is a discussion on TheNumber35 Plays 162: A Colorado Rockies Dynasty (The Show 13) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #33
It's a New England Thing

CameRoN0407's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: TheNumber35 Plays 162: A Colorado Rockies Dynasty (The Show 13)

Glad you started it up again, always liked your franchises!

Team USA
Red Sox
Patriots
Celtics
Bruins
Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #34
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25

Giants Series:
Spoiler

Diamondbacks Series:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-13-2014, 01:56 AM   #35
Rookie

NightHawkTH's Arena

OVR: 1

Loving this man. What are your plans for arenado. Do you see him being a franchise type guy? Good work
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #36
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawkTH
Loving this man. What are your plans for arenado. Do you see him being a franchise type guy? Good work

Thanks man! And I absolutely see him as a franchise type guy, he was producing at a pretty high level before he got hit on the hand. For now, Chris Nelson is doing enough to hold the job until Arenado comes back...but the injuries are piling up for me right now. It's getting ridiculous
Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 AM   #37
MVP

OVR: 3

Good luck on the reboot of this. I don't think you are missing anything neccisarily staying with 13 this year.

The pitching problem may rear its head a lil bit earler than september if you get bit by any type of injury or the offense slows down. Right now you are bullying up teams by your sheer offensive will, but giving up just as much which gotta be frutrating. Hopefully the guys you got on the mound will catch some hot streaks and you can get them figured out soon because if CarGo goes down they are going to have to start winning you some games.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #38
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbiggio
Good luck on the reboot of this. I don't think you are missing anything neccisarily staying with 13 this year.

The pitching problem may rear its head a lil bit earler than september if you get bit by any type of injury or the offense slows down. Right now you are bullying up teams by your sheer offensive will, but giving up just as much which gotta be frutrating. Hopefully the guys you got on the mound will catch some hot streaks and you can get them figured out soon because if CarGo goes down they are going to have to start winning you some games.
Great to have you along man, and I certainly hope so. SCEA is one of those companies that I want to support every year because the product is one that is consistently so damn good. But I can't swing it right now, so we'll stick with good ole' 13, the throwback edition, for now.

As for dynasty things...I agree with everything you said. My offense is literally the only reason I'm winning games, with the exception of a rare dominating performance from a starter like Friedrich or Pomeranz recently. I have a guy in Chacin who I can count on for a quality start every time out...but he rarely goes deep into games and it becomes a bullpen game. Which will tire my guys out as we get deeper into the year. I need a game or two where I can rest them or burn my long guys in the later innings. A starting pitcher or two is definitely in the plans, although Oswalt is waiting in the wings for his chance too. I already know what I plan on doing, but you guys will have to wait and see!
Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #39
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

Rockies Struggle to Find Consistency Despite Great Start to Season

DENVER, CO-- If you would have told me in March that on May 22nd the Rockies would be in the division race, have won 30 games in 48 tries, and have the NL leader in homers on their squad...I admittedly would have called you insane. But I'm certainly not the only one who thought this way. Many (myself included) thought this team was destined to finish .500 or worse this season with a pitching staff that, to put it nicely, would suck so bad it would compare to the 2003 Tigers staff's ineptitude. Offensively this team looked like a top 5 club easily, with studs all over the place on paper but the staff looked to hold them back.

Around the quarter mark here, it's popular to judge how teams are looking and see what their prospects are for the season going forward. And honestly, this team could go either way for the rest of the season. The staff has shown stints of brillance from a trio young arms (Pomeranz, Friedrich, Chacin) and huge inconsistencies from everyone else they've trotted onto the rubber every fifth day. Whether it's JDR going from allowing 10 runs one day to flirting with a perfecto his next start, or Chris Volstad being the most consistent guy three starts into the season...and watching the Rockies on TV from the AAA dugout today. Juan Nicasio is the epitome of this season for Rockies pitchers; he's got an ERA floating around 4.20 right now, but if you've watched him throw the ball this season he's looked excellent at times. But at other times he's looked like post operation/exploding elbow Jeremy Bonderman (for my non-Tigers fans, he was awful after he blew out his elbow.) My point, is that in the rotation, the Rockies could use a ton of help to build consistency and improve their chances at a playoff berth. An arm (or even two) at the deadline could be important to making this season an excellent one for the Rocks. A wild card in things could be Roy Oswalt; Oswalt, a veteran working his way back into shape in Colorado Springs, has pitched incredibly well in AAA and could be challenging for a callup very soon here. Oswalt's been an ace before and if he could regain that form, it would be valuable for a very inexperienced staff going down the stretch.

Offensively, Colorado leads the league in homers because of the breakout player of the year in Wilin Rosario. Rosario leads the National League in homers and RBIs and is tied for 4th in batting average currently sitting at a cool .320 clip. Tulowitzski has 12 dingers and is playing just like he always does at the shortstop position. And Carlos Gonzalez has been red hot since moving to the leadoff spot and back into center field. What all that means, is that the Rockies are very strong up the middle with 2nd base being the only "weak spot" with weak being a very conservative way to describe the platoon of Eric Young Jr. and Josh Rutledge, both of whom are perking up with the bats after scuffling earlier in the year. First and third base have been a revolving door all year long with Nelson, Helton, Cuddyer, Colvin, Pacheco, and Arenado all seeing time at those two positions in the first 48 games. Arenado is on his way back from an injury and Cuddyer/Colvin are manning the outfield very well this year. All of that means the Rockies either need to get a consistent player at first base OR they need one of Pacheco/Helton to swing the stick well enough to stay in the lineup. The platoon hasn't warranted very good results from either player and inconsistent play could hurt Colorado down the stretch when teams finally figure out to stop pitching to Rosario and Tulo in important situations.

The bullpen rates out as one of the best in the NL, and with a bunch of power arms who mean business, I don't think their in for a huge regression going forward. Betancourt, Lopez, Escalona, and Brothers have all been nothing short of excellent all season long. Betancourt has been arguably the best closer in baseball this season and the backend of this bullpen has been solid. Matt Belisle has been pretty good as well in middle relief. Francis and Garland have been long guys and done exactly what long guys do...mop up messes. This is the one spot where I can honestly say the Rockies haven't had a determinable weakness all season long. Guys have off days every now and again (as do all relievers) but the league as a whole haven't figured this bullpen out yet.

So the outlook? Having said all those things and having looked ahead for the Rockies, they could surge a bit in June and July. But that starting staff currently isn't looking so hot for a stretch run. If your ace is Chacin/Pomeranz/Friedrich going into September...you'll have an awesome October! Watching the playoffs on your gigantic TV, since you're a professional athlete and can afford such a thing. Basically, the Rockies need to get at least one more (but preferably two more) starting pitchers or else they are in serious danger of losing out to LA, Arizona, San Francisco, and even the Padres if they can start hitting again. All these teams have good pitching and if their offenses get hot, it could spell a long winning streak for them, and bad news for the Rockies. Or the Rockies could get hot at the right time and coast to a division title. That's the beauty of inconsistency and baseball; it goes both ways and the Rockies are hoping they can catch lightning in a bottle and find their way into the postseason dance...because once they're in, it's not a season long grind. It's potentially 1, 5, and 7 games where anything can happen. And that's just the way these Rockies like it.

Last edited by TheNumber35; 08-09-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Good to see you back.

I just finished the 2014 season in my new M's Franchise defeating the Rockies to win the World Series.

It was crazy only deal I did for the Rockies was a July trade deadline deal sending Story and Wheeler to the Mets for D. Gee and Parnell.

Parnell absolutely dominated saving 30 gaves over 2 months as the Rockies went from 4th in the N.L. West to winning it and finishing with 94 wins (2nd in the Majors to my 100 with the M's).

Hope you all the best, would love to see the Rockies win a ring in your Franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »