Home

Barely Treading Water -- A Seattle Mariners Franchise (MLB 13: The Show)

This is a discussion on Barely Treading Water -- A Seattle Mariners Franchise (MLB 13: The Show) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Barely Treading Water -- A Seattle Mariners Franchise (MLB 13: The Show)

This is a Seattle Mariners franchise using MLB 13: The Show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Barely Treading Water -- A Seattle Mariners Franchise (MLB 13: The Show)

Today the Seattle Press announced the firing of GM Jack Zduriencik of the Seattle Mariners and the subsequent hiring of new general manager Kyle Montgomery. During the press conference Seattle owner Hiroshi Yamauchi had this to say regarding the sudden move: "We are very grateful for the services of Jack Z. over the last couple years, but we have decided that in order for this once proud franchise to continue progressing it was a necessity to make a change at the very top." After being announced as the new GM, Montgomery went into detail on his plans for the organization. "I'm very proud to be named the GM of such a great ball club. I understand that the fans have been witness to some very poor baseball here in Seattle for several years now and I am here to change that. I intend to get this team on the right path from the get go. As much as I hate to say it, nobody is going to be safe." Montgomery seems to be holding true to that statement already as we have learned that the entire scouting team has been replaced. It's hard to say what the future holds for Montgomery and the Mariners organization but it will definitely be interesting to watch.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Rookie

For starters, here is my master plan for the team. Things may change eventually but for now this is how I intend to run the organization.

-Heavy focus om cost-effectiveness and elimination of large, unnecessary contracts

-At least until i have built depth i intend to keep a close eye on the waiver wire

-As far as the draft goes I intend to focus on younger players that are closer to big league ready instead of projects. I will draft some college players but only if they are really close to MLB ready or if there is no one else worth taking

-I intend to follow the cardinals model of building from the ground up and setting up a strong and reliable farm system

-Spring training will always be an open competition. Players stats during this time will be the biggest factor with some influence also coming from money and track record.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Rookie

Positional philosophies:

Since I will be playing half of my games at the offensively anemic Safeco Field I will be focusing more on small ball tactics rather than the long ball. As far as pitching, I will be looking for a mixture of skill sets depending on role.

-The starting rotation will mostly be pitch to contact type guys that are more finesse than power with some exceptions such as Felix Hernandez. I also like inning eaters since I tend to be more conservative on bullpen usage and usually let my starter go deep into games with fairly long leashes.

-I prefer to have a bullpen of power arms that can pitch a fantastic inning or two with great velocity instead of guys that can go out there forever with less pop.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Rookie

Positional philosophies continued:

-At catcher I think I'm just going to focus on getting reliable offense. Whether that be with power or contact doesn't really matter to me at this point. I would prefer to have a good defender but I will emphasize offense more.

-In the infield I will be emphasizing strong defense, especially up the middle. At first I will be seeking an above average hitter that has at least average defense. At second and short I will be seeking speedy fielders with decent hit tools. Third base could be a bit of a wild card like catcher. I would like to get at least average defense with slightly above average offense and possibly even mid-range speed.

-In the outfield I will be looking for speedy defenders that can hit decently as well. I'm looking more for hitters that hit for average than power but some power would be welcome of the rest of the skills are present as well. Some examples would be a slightly better hitting Franklin Gutierrez or an Ichiro with slightly better pop.

-I am very welcome using platoons and absolutely will if I have the personnel necessary to successfully implement one. An example from the current roster would be Raul Ibanez against righties and Jason Bay against lefties in left field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Rookie

Positional depth analysis:

-SP: Very strong at the top with some minor question marks at the back end. Plenty of help ascending through the farm system.

-RP: Definitely a huge area of weakness. There is hardly anyone decent at the major league level and no help on the way. It is highly likely that I will have to use depth at starting and closing pitcher to fill voids.

-CP: Top notch talent at the major league level presently with two studs very close to ready for the bigs.

-C: Lots of unproven talent that is almost ready. A strong point currently. Will be a premium offensive position within three years.

-1B: Solid options at top with little to no minor league depth. Free agency could be a concern.

-2B: Waiting on certain players to realize potential. Could be a strong position in future. There is plenty of middle infield help nearing the majors.

-3B: Slightly closer to major league ready than 2B but not a strong point yet. Decent minor league depth with lots of players that are decent but unspectacular.

-SS: Definite area of concern. Little to no depth but middle infield help arriving eventually.

-LF: Good for now but age and free agency are concerns. Depth is needed.

-CF: Several mid-level veterans are holding down the fort currently. Durability and offensive output could be concerns. Depth is definitely needed.

-RF: There is decent talent sitting at the top with little to no depth. OF depth definitely needed to attain success now and in the future.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Rookie

I simmed through spring training and only played the last game. The roster seems set as well. There were several surprises such as Vinnie Catricala and Carlos Peguero, but unfortunately I wasn't able to squeeze either one onto the final roster. They will both be near the top of the list of potential call-ups however.

Here's the final roster:

SP Felix Hernandez
SP Erasmo Ramirez
SP Hisashi Iwakuma
SP Blake Beavan
SP Joe Saunders
SP Aaron Harang
RP Charlie Furbush
RP Josh Kinney
RP Danny Farquhar
RP Bobby LaFramboise
RP Oliver Perez
CP Tom Wilhelmsen
C Jesus Montero
C Kelly Shoppach
1B Kendrys Morales
1B Justin Smoak
2B Dustin Ackley
2B Robert Andino
3B Kyle Seager
SS Brendan Ryan
LF Mike Morse
LF Raul Ibanez
LF Jason Bay
CF Franklin Gutierrez
RF Michael Saunders
Old 05-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Good luck. Will be following to see what you do.

Obviously with your approach, I take it you won't be looking to resign Morse or Morales if Montero heads to the DH spot.

Also depending on what you do with Wilhelmsen, you have a pretty good bullpen with Capps,Pryor and Furbush taking care of the 7th and 8th. So you really just need starters that can go 6 innings. Perez and Luetge give you some decent LHP options in the pen, and if Kinney can pitch like he is for me in AAA, you have a pretty decent RHP there as well.

Should be be fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »