Home

The McGovern Manifesto- Restoration, Reformation and Retaliation

This is a discussion on The McGovern Manifesto- Restoration, Reformation and Retaliation within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who Should Royals play his upcoming Franchise with?
Mets 7 77.78%
Twins 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: The McGovern Manifesto- Restoration, Reformation and Retaliation

So after winning the series at the Tigers then getting whacked by Minnesota, we head back home to lick our wounds and hopefully, right the ship. Things have started to fall apart since we last came to you. Salvy is hitting a measly .232, Moose is at .175 and Gordo still doesn't have any idea of what he's doing at the plate.

And apparently, Jeremy Guthrie doesn't have any idea what he's doing on the mound:

Guthrie has had yet another poor outing. He allowed 5 runs against a tough Tigers squad... but then 5 runs to the Twins? What are you doing??? He's 1-0 on the season but he hasn't even come close to earning that.

Everything just seems off. He isn't the 20 win force we rolled into the postseason with last year. This isn't the guy that finished 3rd in Cy Young voting because of his ability to hit corners with 5 pitches and generate weak contact.

Guthrie has no control over any of his pitches... Today alone he walked 5 batters. We can't have that, from a #3 starter on a championship caliber squad. Guth knows that, Freidman and Dayton know that... we all know that.

Still the question remains: HOW IN SAM HILL DO YOU GET BLOWN OUT BY THE HOUSTON ASTROS!!!???

While we let you figure out the answer to that... we need to take a look at Chris Reed, the dude's been lights out in every situation. We want him to develop a better slide piece and eventually could see him operating out of the back end eventually. He's arguably been our best arm this season.

We darn near could've been shut out had it not been for #countrybreakfast trying to put da team on his back. Butler has finally started to develop more power and we're looking at a 30 homerun season from him. He's going to be a free agent at years end and there's a chance he's doing this for more cash but we can't really focus on that; we'll just cross that bridge when we get too it.

Now, a loss is a loss, but this means more for Jeremy Guthrie...

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #42
MVP

Jeremy Guthrie sat at his locker after Joe Maddon pulled him from the game... The Royals were getting shelled and it was all on his shoulders. It was his 3rd consecutive game allowing at least 5 earned runs.

As he sat at his locker and watched the game, George McGovern walked into the locker room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovern
Tough outing huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie
Yeah, I don't know what's wrong this season, I just can't seem to find it.
Quote:
That's what I came to talk to you about son. It's one thing to get rocked by the Tigers and the Twins but to give up 7 earned runs to the Huston Astros in just 5 innings? We can't have that kid... and we won't allow it.
Quote:
So what are you saying?
Quote:
I'm saying that we value your service for our organization and we're going to send you to the bullpen rather than cut you.
Quote:
You can't just ship me off like that!
Quote:
Oh but I can and already have. We're giving Cash your next start and then sending him back down for Ted Lilly.
Quote:
I can't believe this George, after all I've done for the team...
McGovern shook Guthrie's hand and apologized then left the clubhouse.

After Guthrie had changed into his street clothes and was getting ready to leave, he got a call on his phone.

Quote:
Uhh... Hello?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
That was a poor outing kid and it's too bad about what the old man told you...
Quote:
Who is this?
Quote:
Don't play stupid, if I remember correctly, we're acquainted rather well...
Quote:
What do you want from me?
Quote:
I want you to tell me who you were talking to in the clubhouse.
Quote:
... That's for me to know and for you to find out.
Quote:
....exactly, that's why we're having this conversation.
Quote:
Look, I don't know who you are, but what goes on in the clubhouse, stays in the clubhouse.
Quote:
Suit yourself....
Guthrie hung up his phone and quickly left the Royals clubhouse....

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 06-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #43
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

OVR: 44

Uh oh.... I sense trouble....
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #44
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Just read everything. I love the arguments between the coaches and the stroylines, smart, hilarious, and fun to follow indeed!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #45
MVP

BlueJays09's Arena

OVR: 29

Great job. Interested to see what happens next
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #46
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaysfan65

I'm scared...
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJays09
Great job. Interested to see what happens next
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFry
Just read everything. I love the arguments between the coaches and the stroylines, smart, hilarious, and fun to follow indeed!
Thanks for following guys. The storyline is something I really take pride in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaysfan65
And you would be correct in that assessment my friend.

Prior to the Royals game against the Braves, McGovern enjoyed a tall glass of ice tea while he talked with Royals' Pitching Coach Dave Eiland.

Quote:
OK.... Let me get this straight, Jeremy Guthrie hasn't shown up to the ballpark in what, 5, 6 days and you're just now calling to tell me he's missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiland
That would be correct.
Quote:
You've got to be kidding me... I have millions invested in him and you just all of a sudden lose him!?
Quote:
Now before you get your britches in a wad, we went back and looked at the security tapes... Looks like he got shoved into some sort of SUV by big guys with guns.
Quote:
...And when did you look at the tapes?
Quote:
....ummm, 3 or 4 days ago.
Quote:
Damn it Dave!
Quote:
I'm sorry sir!
Quote:
Shut up! Just shut up and let me think!
There was a long pause on McGovern's end of the phone as he contemplated what to do about the situation. He knew he couldn't go out there and look for Guthrie himself...no,no,no, it would rustle too many bushes, draw too much attention. Someone else would have to do the dirty work this time around.

Quote:
Alright, so here's what's going to happen. I can't go out and look for him for obvious reasons so it's on your shoulders to find Guth. Kapeesh?
Quote:
But who'll be pitching coach?
Quote:
I'll handle the duties, starting tonight...
Quote:
So is anyone else going to be with me? I mean this sounds pretty risky... Do I get any cool gear?
Quote:
This is a solo mission... and you get a whistle so you can call for help... Good luck, you'll need it. *Click*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eiland

Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #48
MVP

Heh, McGovern sure knew where the party was at when he took over as pitching coach because tonight, the Atlanta Braves are coming in town for a little Monday Night Baseball presented by "All Football, All Year Round"... err, ESPN.

Any way, this was our chance to prove ourselves on the National stage. We wanted to show everyone that we could go toe-toe with perhaps the best team in baseball. Not many people outside of the Midwest got to see us do our thing and now we finally have a chance to ahem, "Shock the Nation" if you will.

And it all starts with this dude tonight. Wade Davis aka "The Silent Assassin". The title was given to him by James Shields and it's fitting because he doesn't say much and comes in and does work just about every single outing.

The image is pretty fitting itself as Jason Heyward looms in the background, unaware that he's about to be picked off... Love it.

And this ain't to shabby either... Gordo is finally starting to come around. Coming into today he's posting a triple slash line of .275/.333/.450 which isn't bad at all but will hopefully get better. He still has his flaws however, hitting .200 with runners in scoring position. The bottom line is, he's getting better and we just need to be patient to see the dividends.

However it's a different story with another one of our potential cornerstones.

Spoiler

We're rapidly losing patience with Moose. I know he's been a slow starter traditionally, but this is just ridiculous. We expected him to be a massive threat in our lineup and he's let us down. The fact that we don't have his bat in our lineup leaves a gaping hole. Really who do we trust to drive in runs? Hos? Butler? This is a HUGE cog for us, we can't afford to have these kinds of slip ups. He hasn't driven a ball since the postseason and every hit is some weak *** groundball in between fielders, he isn't seeing pitches... he's become a massive issue. To make sure it isn't a user error, we've gone into manage mode and watched and he swings at everything... Show some discipline kid... yeesh.

After today, we're taking the next step and benching Moose. Joe Maddon can't do it any more, McGovern can't stand it any more and George Brett sure as heck won't take that. In his place, we're going to put in Elliot Johnson. I'm really curious to see how Johnson does in an everyday roll. He's usually played very well when we've started him.

Enough of the formalities, let's get down to baseball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »