Home

Contemplating a baseball dynasty

This is a discussion on Contemplating a baseball dynasty within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Contemplating a baseball dynasty

I've never done a baseball dynasty, so not sure how I'd format it/write it up. Football is easier to "lay off" on a bit since it's a weekly game - also more opportunity to put news in between.

Baseball is a day by day sport so trying to figure how best to manage it. Maybe one game per day, just like in real life.

Also - team. I like maybe 3 NFL teams. I like several MLB teams:

Washington Nationals
Boston Red Sox
Florida...er Miami Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays (still want to say Devil Rays)
Colorado Rockies
Detroit Tigers
St. Louis Cardinals

Would be using MLB the Show 13 of course.

So some advice and tips welcome as I would want to do a good job of it.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-18-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Legend

KHarmo88's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Contemplating a baseball dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I've never done a baseball dynasty, so not sure how I'd format it/write it up. Football is easier to "lay off" on a bit since it's a weekly game - also more opportunity to put news in between.

Baseball is a day by day sport so trying to figure how best to manage it. Maybe one game per day, just like in real life.

Also - team. I like maybe 3 NFL teams. I like several MLB teams:

Washington Nationals
Boston Red Sox
Florida...er Miami Marlins
Tampa Bay Rays (still want to say Devil Rays)
Colorado Rockies
Detroit Tigers
St. Louis Cardinals

Would be using MLB the Show 13 of course.

So some advice and tips welcome as I would want to do a good job of it.
My first piece of advice is you have to be dedicated and motivated to do a baseball dynasty. Even if you don't play every game, you have to want to do this and have fun doing it as well.

Secondly, it makes it easier to use a team you want to use and have interest in. I know you want suggestions from others, but you don't want to be stuck doing a franchise you don't REALLY want to do.

As far as formatting goes, there's several options you can have to keep it interesting. You could take the angle of like the teams website, like my dynasty, or the ESPN reporting, like crains Reds dynasty, or I'm sure there's lots of other ways. Depends how much time you want to spend. Do you want to do a video dynasty? Do you want to include pictures? Endless opportunities, just have to do what you feel you can handle.

Most importantly, whatever you decide, create multiple save files for your franchise. I have three. This is just a safeguard in case a file gets somehow corrupted.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

First - thanks for the great response.

Second - I took a look at your dynasty and it's style seems close to how I'm writing up my football dynasty. I can handle that with a few pictures/videos/highlights now and then as time permits.

Third - good point about the team selection. I think I'd pick the Devil Rays.

Thanks for the advice
Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Legend

KHarmo88's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
First - thanks for the great response.

Second - I took a look at your dynasty and it's style seems close to how I'm writing up my football dynasty. I can handle that with a few pictures/videos/highlights now and then as time permits.

Third - good point about the team selection. I think I'd pick the Devil Rays.

Thanks for the advice
Sure thing man. I didn't even realize you were the one who had that Raiders franchise until I looked again haha. That's a great read as well!

I'd like to get into a Madden franchise once next gen systems are out but I think I'm going to go into hibernation until baseball starts up again. A 162+ game season of a baseball franchise is a lot of work haha
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Some tips from a casual reader:

-Decide if you want to do one in depth season, playing all or majority of the games, or if you want to go through 2 or 3 seasons with more simming involved.

-Make sure you have difficulty and slider settings at a level where you can get fairly realistic stats and results: I lose a lot of interest in dynasties on here when gamers are winning 45/60 games, especially with teams that should be hovering around .500. Another turn off is hitting .320+ with 6 or 7 players and leading majority of both hitting and pitching, team and individual, stat categories.

-Try to make fairly realistic and/or fair roster moves: It makes it much more interesting to me when realistic and fair trades are made instead of trading for all-stars that would never be moved in real life and making fairly major trades before their season even starts. I'm sure you've seen the Trade Discussion thread over on the main The Show forum.. that is a great tool to use to get advice on fairness, realism, and ideas.

In the end, just do what's fun and entertaining to you. This is just my opinion on what I like to read. You are the one putting the work in so do whatever keeps you interested.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

So far I believe everyone has give great advice. As someone who pretty much just stuck to doing College Hoops, and College Football, I have love my baseball thread. So much in fact that I havn't purchased NCAA14 yet, because I prefer to spend my time playing baseball. I have always had Xbox, so this is my first time with "The Show" after my wife bought me a PS3 for my Birthday.

The only thing, I would disagree with from the previous statements made is on the realism of win/loss. I am using the M's, if I was to keep it realistic to real life, I would have to lose 3/4 of my games and battle the Astros for last place in the AL West. Personally doesn't sound all that fun to me. So what I do is play 1 and sim 2. If I lose, I lose, but if my team wins, I don't reload just to make sure my record doesn't get to good. So for me this meant I ended up making the playoffs with the M's this year, and then my team kept winning the sim games, so I made the World Series and then I ended up winning the World Series. Realistic? Nope, Fun? Yep..

However Gino makes a good point in regards to trades. I do use the trade boards, and if anything I prefer to overpay giving a team a higher rated prospect then they deserve for their role player who will help me win..

Also as a side note, because the M's AAA team was stacked I spent the first half of the season, playing mostly all my games with Tacoma to get a feel for what prospects I liked and wanted to keep around and what players I felt like I could part with to acquire new talent.

last but not least, I love your pick of the Rays. I have been trying to encourage someone to take them on.. With them I think the first question you have to ask yourself is can you afford Price longterm, or do you deal him for prospects? Can Longoria survive as the only All-Star bat in the lineup as well.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
The only thing, I would disagree with from the previous statements made is on the realism of win/loss. I am using the M's, if I was to keep it realistic to real life, I would have to lose 3/4 of my games and battle the Astros for last place in the AL West. Personally doesn't sound all that fun to me. So what I do is play 1 and sim 2. If I lose, I lose, but if my team wins, I don't reload just to make sure my record doesn't get to good. So for me this meant I ended up making the playoffs with the M's this year, and then my team kept winning the sim games, so I made the World Series and then I ended up winning the World Series. Realistic? Nope, Fun? Yep..
Yeah that's not really what I was getting at. You don't have to replicate the teams record in real life to keep me interested.

An example would be taking the Mariners and going 45-15. There's just really no adversity to it, it's just "hey I'm dominating this game and playing on a difficulty to easy for me." That's where I lose interest. What do you really have to look forward to as a reader when you know they are going to win 4/5 games and they are obviously going to win the WS?

I definitely didn't mean you had to replicate the record of the team you picked. I just don't like people completely dominating, especially with a team that shouldn't be THAT dominant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »