Home

The Cardinal Way- Crops, Clydesdales and Championships

This is a discussion on The Cardinal Way- Crops, Clydesdales and Championships within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: The Cardinal Way- Crops, Clydesdales and Championships

It's been a while since we've discussed the standings so here's a little graphic about the Wild Card race a.k.a. the only race that matters to St. Louis at this point. At this point, it looks like if we remain around .500 then we have a shot in this race and maybe, maybe if we get above .500 we have a shot to win this thing.

But that's really pushing it. Look at all the teams above .500 in this Wild Card race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Holliday
It can't be this easy... First the Cubbies and now the 'Stros? Son...
Couldn't have said it better myself. The quality of teams we've been playing lately has been lacking... severely.

But wait.

Lookie, lookie... the Astros came to play.

I know, I know. We can't expect every team we play to just lay down and die. There's always those try hards, the little pockets of resistance that will fight to the death.

Ahem... anyway, once we found out the Astros came to play, Lance Lynn came to pitch.

Lynn threw a decent game, I'll give him that. 6 strong innings but way too many hits. He'd start them out with that running fastball then mix in an offspeed pitch then polish them off with either a challange fastball or a breaking pitch.

Lynn might have the best overall stuff on the roster because he's on every single game. Shelby Miller might have the best when he's on his A-Game though.

Regardless though, 98 MPH heat that moves like nobody's business is nearly unhittable... unless you are in fact the Huston Astros.

See this is what we get for expecting a blow out. The Astros came in and played an unbelievable game. We came in here looking for an easy win; and let me tell you, it wasn't easy.

They tried to break Yadi's back, made great plays and got the hits when they needed. They just couldn't capitalize on it.

We got a couple clutch hits, Lance Lynn did work and the rest is history.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #58
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

Nice couple of wins vs rivals (I'm pretty sure the Astros where rivals to the Cards when they where in the NLC). Keep up the winning!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #59
MVP

And we're back folks with a little live Cardinals action. Since we last came to you 5 or so days ago, a lot has transpired in the Cardinal world. Legends have been brought back, the rumor mill is beginning to churn and best of all, we've been winning games.

Yeah, it's been quite a time to be a Cardinal's fan. So now, grab a glass of water, get yourself a snack and sit back and take a look at the latest updates from St. Lou.

Actually, we'll be coming to you from the land of milk and honey down in SoCal.

The Angels have themselves a nice squad this year. Albert Pujols is turning it around, Mike Trout is doing Mike Trout stuff and Mark Trumbo is chasing 80 homeruns.

On the other hand you have our Cardinals platoon lead by Jon f'n Jay. Not Allen Craig, not Yadier Molina, not Carlos Beltran... Jon F'n Jay. The roster is oozing with talent yet, we're somehow a fringe contender. The problems that we're encountering this year deserve their own post and unfortunately, that is not the point of this one.

We're here to see a little live action between the Cards and Angels.

How 'bout we start here?

The Angels have the best outfield in the game. Hands down. End of story. Josh Hamilton sucks defensively but to compensate, they have Mike Trout and Peter Bourjos. With that outfield, they can afford to have Hamilton sleep his *** off in right field.

As exemplified in the play above, Bourjos is arguably one of the best defenders in baseball. With that being said, he's one our targets heading on into the trade deadline. While he obviously a defensive upgrade for us, he is by no stretch of the imagination an offensive upgrade and it's crucial we add to our club defensively as well as offensively.

Going back to the game, we had trouble right from the get go. Surefire double's were taken away by spectacular sprinting plays, bloop singles were snatched away by incredible diving catches and even a pair of homeruns were robbed by a jackknifing Mike Trout.

The only way to get runs across was to blast them a good 100ft over the fence... just as a precaution.

So while the offense managed to plate a few runs, Jake Westbrook was doing work. Westbrook has arguably been our most consistent arm outside of Adam Wainwright. In a contract year, Westbrook has gone all out and has carved up nearly all the teams that he has faced.

Tonight vs. Jarred Weaver and the Angels was no different. They were fooled by the sinker-circle change combo. End of story.

One individual in particular looked silly.

Yes, you guessed it. Mike Trout was a complete non-factor offensively tonight. Heading into the waning days of the first half, it's imperative that we continue to pile onto the wins. Most importantly to keep us in the postseason race which is gradually slipping out of our hands.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 01-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #60
MVP

On Wednesday, July 3rd, the Cardinals got the best news they've had in weeks. Carlos Beltran is back in the saddle! It's about damn time. We need that big middle of the order bat to get a better punch from our lineup.

By hold your horses right there, he ain't back in the saddle just yet.

Quote:
Rule #1

All players that suffer injuries for an extended period of time will be required to complete a rehab assignment. Rehab assignments will be determined on a case to case basis.
You can't just take somone who's torn their shoulder and been away from baseball activities for nearly 3 months, you have to ease them back into things; shake out the cobwebs and that's why we have the rehab assignments.

But see we encountered early problems in the early day of Beltran's rehab assignment with the AA Memphis Redbirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Singleton
So let me get this straight, they're intentionally walking him while he's batting leadoff and when they do pitch to him it's nothing but breaking balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Director
Uhh... Yessir, that would be correct.

Quote:
We're trying to win a playoff race up here and it is absolutely imperative that we have Beltran back at most a week after the All-Star Break. And by back, I mean that he has to be absolutely ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm Director
I understand but I don't know if that's realistic considering the pitches he's seeing and the way the plate appearances are going. I just don't see this happening.
Quote:
Well make it happen!
Beltran ain't getting any better taking more walks. We need to see the home runs, the batting average and all that. A promotion to AAA might be in order not because he's ready but because he just simply isn't doing anything other than playing defense.

Regardless of the way the assignment is going, it is undeniably good news that Beltran is making his way back to joining the Cardinals within a week or so.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #61
MVP

So while things fly south with the Beltran assignment, we have another assignment of sorts to hash out. During the first half, the pitching was just awful, Wainwright was OK, Westbrook was OK but the other 3 guys have been inconsistent and just plain embarrassing. With our guys in AAA inconsistent as well, we can't depend on them to come in and get the job done. There's always an outside chance of a trade but realistically, it makes little sense for us to trade some of our talented prospects for a starting pitcher that will only be valuable to us for a half season or so. Ahem, so given the unique circumstances, our hero Willie Singleton decided enough was enough and he called in a favor.

Quote:
Look Bob, I'm not asking you to come in here and be the pitching coach. I know you want to take care of your family. But Bob just hear me out; the Cardinals need you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Now look Willie, we've known each other for a while but I just don't know if I can come back and hop back on the baseball grind. It's been a while.
Quote:
You've attended Spring Training the past few years. This is nothing different. Bob, if it makes you feel any better all I'm asking for is a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Alright... you suckered me in. Where do you want me? St. Louis?
Quote:
Can you get down to our facility in Florida? I want you to work with the starting staff and see if you can get them turned around. It's imperative that this group is firing on all cylinders heading into the 2nd half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
Willie, I'll see what I can do. The kids these days are just... different.
Quote:
Bob, you have my word that this group will be here to work hard to get that ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
So, Florida eh?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #62
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Great detail, great story, great everything so far!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 PM   #63
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
Great detail, great story, great everything so far!
Thanks man, I appreciate it. It took me 3 or 4 tries but I think I've finally hit my stride here in the dynasty forums. I've come along way since my early days on these forums.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what you've got on tap with your National's franchise!

After we wobbled into the All Star Break and somehow managed to keep our lead in the Wild Card race, it was time for us to take a little vacation from Cardinals Baseball and partake in a little tasty treat known as the Midsummer's Classic.

But before we get to the big enchilada, we have to take a little stop at the Future's Game and the Home Run Derby.

Now with arguably baseball's best farm system, we of course have a lot to look forward to here in the Future's Game. We have guys like Michael Wacha, Stephen Piscotty, Tyler Lyons and C.J. McElroy to get excited about. On top of that, we have a strong group of nearly major league ready talent in Future's Game participants Kolten Wong and Carlos Martinez... but wait, aren't we missing someone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Taveras

Quote:
Quote:

Dude, I'm just some minor league guy... I'm too good for this Future's Game **** man.

Eh... Fair enough. Taveras is hitting .339 with 27 homeruns in AAA right now and probably warranted himself a little taste of that big league action probably a month ago. But guess what? He ain't gettin' that... not this year. He'll probably break a couple bats; smash a few things. Fact of the matter is, John Mozeliak doesn't care, Willie Singleton doesn't care and I sure as hell don't care. He's just going to have to be patient like all the other kiddies at the water fountain waiting to wet their whistle with a little taste of MLB action.

*Ahem* So where were we? Ahhh... Yes, getting ready to check into the Futures Game; that's right.

Carlos Martinez; the starter for the World Team and our most advanced pitching prospect. How he got to start the Future's Game, I have no clue. You can't allow 140 hits, have and ERA over 5 and expect to start the Futures Game.

But apparently Carlos Martinez can.

If our bullpen woes continue, he's going to have to be recalled. He's a cold 98 off the bump with a hammer curve and a nice little change piece. As I mentioned at the beginning of the year, he's a little Pedro Martinez clone... now that's a player I can deal with.

So while Martinez embarrassed himself off the mound, Kolten Wong was putting on a show at the plate... worthy of MVP honors.

Wong is currently leading AAA in batting average with a nice little .353 average... no home runs of course. He's not bad... heck, he's actually pretty good. He's a plus defender and obviously he's a plus hitter. With our woes in the infield, it's becoming increasingly likely that Wong earns a promotion to the MLB level. But as long as Danny Descalso keeps doing work at short, Wong is staying right where he is.

Next year though is going to be a whole different story.

So after Wong collected 4 hits in 4 trips to the plate, I figured that he was gonna be walking away with the MVP award for tonight.

Was I right?

Of course not.

No let's give it to Joc Pederson because he had a line drive homer that barley cleared the fence... what a punk. They just gave it to him because he plays for the Dodgers.

Can we say that? I don't think we can.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #64
MVP

The Home Run Derby? Sure why not. No Cardinals of course but still it's always a nice treat to watch players drop bombs into the stands. Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to partake in the Home Run Derby to say that I could, I promptly went to the selection screen.

Jose Bautista, bland... Chris Davis... typical... Miguel Cabrera... nobody wants to see that. But at the bottom of the list, a certain MVP candidate caught me eye.

That's right folks... Jayson f'n Werth.. the long time Phillie. I loved watching him with the Philly teams back in the day and I'm convinced that the departure of Jayson Werth was a turning point.

Regardless, I can't believe this dude is leading the league in MVP voting... I just can't. So when I saw him up for grabs in the home run derby, I figured why not get him a little extra hardware to put with the MVP trophy right?

He breezed through the first round and then had to go through three consecutive swing offs with Jose Bautista to make it to the final round. I didn't think he had any gas left.

Apparently he did... As you can see, Werth sprayed the whole field with 21 dingers... It doesn't get better than that.

Still, would that be enough to overcome the great Chris Davis?

Easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »