Home

We Are Queens Boulevard | New York Mets Franchise

This is a discussion on We Are Queens Boulevard | New York Mets Franchise within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Rookie

ESexton18's Arena

OVR: 0
We Are Queens Boulevard | New York Mets Franchise

MLB 14 The Show, PS3
Rosters: OSFM v1.0
Sim/Play: Playing every 3rd game.(Unless otherwise noted)
Quick Counts: Off
30-Team Control: Yes
Trades: I'll be making all trades made in real life up to around mid July. After that I will use the Trade Thread for fair and realistic trades. Limit 2 trades max in season per team, 1 trade per offseason.

Owners: Fred Wilpon
General Manager: Sandy Alderson
Manager: Terry Collins

The 2013 season was the fifth straight losing season for the New York Mets finishing at 74-88. Although the Mets finished below .500, there were some bright spots. The Mets hosted the 84th annual MLB All-Star game at Citi Field, where hometown sensation Matt Harvey started for the National League squad. On May 30th, the Mets swept the rival cross town Yankees for the first time in modern Subway Series. Zack Wheeler debuted and along with Harvey had Mets fans excited for the future of their rotation.

Matt Harvey was the main bright spot for the Mets. Harvey went 9-5 with a 2.27 ERA, with 191 strikeouts in 178.1 innings in 2013 before making his final start on August 24th. Harvey was found to have a partially torn UCL and underwent successful Tommy John Surgery in October of 2013. Harvey has publicly stated he would like to return before the end of 2014 but with a bright future in front of him the Mets may opt to hold their ace out until 2015.

Last edited by ESexton18; 08-01-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
Rookie

ESexton18's Arena

Re: We Are Queens Boulevard | New York Mets Franchise

The Mets didn't spend on any top tier free agents but incrementally upgraded at positions of need during the 2013-2014 off-season.

Bartolo Colon was signed on December 11th to help fill in the rotation after the loss of Matt Harvey. The 41 year old veteran is a marvel to watch, enjoying arguably one of his best seasons last year with Oakland going 18-6 with a 2.65 ERA in 30 starts for the AL West Champions. Colon should be expected to be a work horse in the rotation this year for the Mets.

Curtis Granderson agreed to a 4-year $60 million contract on December 6th. Granderson had an injury plagued 2013 with the Yankees only seeing 214 at bats. The Mets hope to get the guy who produced a combined 84 home runs and 225 RBI's in 2011 and 2012. Granderson should be an improvement in either corner outfield slot.

Chris Young was the final "major signing" the Mets made in the offseason agreeing to 1-year $7.25 million deal on November 22nd. Young spent last season with Colon on the Oakland A's hitting .200 12 HRs and 40 RBI. A down year for the former Diamondback, like Granderson the Mets will hope Young can rebound into the former 20/20 player he used to be.

Last edited by ESexton18; 07-27-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Rookie

ESexton18's Arena

1. Noah Syndergaard - RHP - 21 Y/O - ETA: 2014
Syndergaard improved in multiple ways in what can only be described as an awesome 2013 putting up great numbers in Class A and AA. With the build of a workhorse, a fastball up to 98 with downhill plane, and a plus change up Syndergaard projects as a 200-inning work horse at worst. If the curveball continues to improve we could see the man they call Thor be a top of the rotation starter in Queens for years to come. Will begin the year in AAA.

2. Travis D'arnaud - C - 25 Y/O - ETA: 2014
D'arnaud was acquired along with Noah Syndergaard in the R.A. Dickey trade before last season. D'arnaud is currently ranked the #2 prospect but finsihed the season in Queens and will be the Mets starting catcher this season. D'arnaud shows the ability to be an impact player on both sides of the ball if he can stay healthy. Will begin the year in MLB.

3. Dominic Smith - 1B - 19 Y/O - ETA: 2016
Smith was considered one of the top pure hitters in the 2013 draft as the sweet swinging lefty also possesses above average power. His ceiling projects as an impact middle of the order first baseman with 25-30 HR power. Will begin the year in A.

4. Rafael Montero - SP - 23 Y/O - ETA: 2014
Montero is advanced beyond his age with good make up and command. He doesn't project as a top of the rotation guy like Syndergaard, but could possibly get the call to the majors before Noah this year. Montero wields a fastball in the 93-95 range, an above average slider and change up, with plus command of his pitches. Will begin the year in AAA.

5. Brandon Nimmo - OF - 21 Y/O - ETA: 2016
Nimmo was the Mets first round pick in 2011 out of a Wyoming high school that didn't have a baseball team. Nimmo is a solid defedner with good OBP skills and other tools to go with it. He should be an above average player by the time he makes the majors in any outfield position. Will begin the year in A.

6. Kevin Plawecki - C - 23 Y/O - ETA: 2015 Will begin the year in AA.

7. Dilson Herrera - 2B - 20 Y/O - ETA: 2016 Will begin the year in A.

8. Amed Rosario - SS - 19 Y/O - ETA: 2017 Will begin the year in A.

9. Cesar Puello - OF - 23 Y/O - ETA: 2014 Will begin the year in AAA.

10. Gavin Cecchini - SS - 21 Y/O - ETA: 2016 Will begin the year in A.

Last edited by ESexton18; 07-27-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

You disgrace the race of phillies fans..... lol kidding

Since I'm a fellow phils fan myself ill be following
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Rookie

ESexton18's Arena

Haha I know I feel dirty... I think my appeal for the Mets was because I live about an hour from Binghamton (where their AA team is) and enjoy going up there every summer.

Last year I saw a few Syndergaard starts and I've been up a couple times this summer and saw Plawecki before his promotion, Nimmo after he was moved up to AA, Dilson Herrera and a few others.

I'm going up on Wednesday to watch the BMets play New Hampshire, I'm excited to watch Daniel Norris pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Rookie

ESexton18's Arena

Alderson: This is a 90 Win Team

NEW YORK - Mets GM Sandy Alderson has set a 90 win goal for his team this season. Skeptics are abound already with ace Matt Harvey lost for the 2014 season and 41 year old Bartolo Colon replacing him, an offense upgraded only by an aging and diminishing Curtis Granderson and Chris Young, all while coming off a season that finished 14 games under .500. Alderson's comments were originally told to Mets executives but have since leaked to the public.

"90 wins is our goal for this season," Alderson told reporters. "It's time to change the culture, five straight losing seasons is enough. We have talent coming through or system and already on the major league roster. I feel it's a realistic goal for 2014 and it's part of my job to see that we get there."

Alderson's comments certainly come off as ambitious, but in his fourth season as Mets GM he may need the 90 wins to help save his job. Although playing in the large New York market the Mets have been reluctant to spend big money on top tier free agents. Something the fan base has been none too pleased with. Alderson has instead made good trades for top prospects, including dealing RA Dickey for Noah Syndergaard and Travis D'arnaud, and has done well in recent years with the amateur draft. Whether or not the Mets get to 90 wins this season, it should be noted that the future seems as bright as the big city lights.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
Pro

KingFry's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESexton18
Haha I know I feel dirty... I think my appeal for the Mets was because I live about an hour from Binghamton (where their AA team is) and enjoy going up there every summer.

Last year I saw a few Syndergaard starts and I've been up a couple times this summer and saw Plawecki before his promotion, Nimmo after he was moved up to AA, Dilson Herrera and a few others.

I'm going up on Wednesday to watch the BMets play New Hampshire, I'm excited to watch Daniel Norris pitch.
Yeah man the Mets have a good farm. I'm doing a White Sox 'chise and not having a farm is annoying lol.

Last edited by KingFry; 07-27-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Rookie

ESexton18's Arena

The Mets break from spring training with their 25 man roster set as follows:

C - Travis D'arnaud (74ov), Anthony Recker (63ov)
1B - Ike Davis (71ov), Lucas Duda (69ov)
2B - Daniel Murphy (82ov), Josh Satin (67ov)
3B - David Wright (90ov)
SS - Ruben Tejada (71ov)
OF - Eric Young Jr. (73ov), Curtis Granderson (85ov), Bobby Abreu (74ov), Chris Young (73ov), Juan Lagares(67ov)

A platoon situation is expected in right field between Left handed hitting veteran Bobby Abreu and Right hander Chris Young.

SP - Jon Niese(78ov), Dillon Gee(75ov), Zack Wheeler(78ov), John Lannan(70ov), Jacob de Grom(66ov)
RP - Jeremy Hefner(76ov), Scott Rice (L, 69ov), Vic Black(61ov), Carlos Torres(73ov), Kyle Farnsworth(77ov), Josh Edgin (L, 70ov)
CP - Jenrry Mejia (72ov)

After an outstanding spring rookie Jake de Grom earned the 5th starter spot for the Mets. A noted absence is that of free agent signing Bartolo Colon who suffered a pectoral strain in his second spring outing sending him to the 15 day DL to begin the season. With Colon on the shelf Jon Niese will get the ball opening day against the Washington Nationals.

In the Bullpen a lights out spring campaign sees Jenrry Mejia in the closers role to begin the season with veteran Kyle Farnsworth waiting in the wings. Jeremy Hefner will act as the long reliever/spot starter and Josh Edgin and Scott Rice provide left handed balance.

The Mets begin their 2014 season at home against Stephen Strasburg and the Washington Nationals.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »