Home

The Ted Turner Memoirs Part VI. - Lines in the Georgia Sand

This is a discussion on The Ted Turner Memoirs Part VI. - Lines in the Georgia Sand within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: The Ted Turner Memoirs Part VI. - Lines in the Georgia Sand

I just found this and could not stop reading. This excellent. Looking forward to more!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #34
Rookie

jmcole33's Arena

OVR: 0

Unbelievable. Will definitely be following.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #35
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbiggio

What this? No Carlos Clemente's? No Charles Tommy's? Where's the Orlando Fitzpatricks?

Maybe I haven't been paying attention the past couple of years, but it seems this 2015 class actually sounds halfway realistic with the naming. Boring and vanilla coke sounding names such as Vic Lowry, and Jose Diaz wasn't what the home team was expecting.

The guy we decided to base our draft around, Emmitt Tyson, wields a switch hitting power bat from The University of North Carolina. He's not really all that fast, nor does he grade out to be anything spectacular in the field, but that's what Schafer is for.

This guy could be our next Justin Upton or Heyward, because the guy has potential to get on base at a silly rate with such high contact numbers.. And again from both sides of the plate he will be an everyday player at some point in his career. There weren't many switch hitting bats in the draft so we made sure to get one for the future, and it didn't hurt that he's going to be close to AAA ready in maybe an offseason or two. This was a good pickup for us that late in the draft.
First off, let me say it's killing me trying to figure out what you'll get for Dan Uggla. Looking forward to that!

Secondly, man did you get a weirdo 1st rounder, lol. A combo of Emmitt Smith and Mike Tyson in stature and in name. A 19 y/o who also is a 4-yr college guy (???!!?). This guy is not only a ballplayer, but was a child prodigy who had a perfect MCAT score and got accepted to the top medical schools at age 12 (feel free to take any of this stuff I'm spewing out my @$$ as background material).

The ratings are a little troubling to me in the sense that at 19, if he runs like that, what will his speed and defense look like at 25? I hope he doesn't end up a DH in the NL.

Love the hitting attributes and the 62/90 rating on him for late 1st Rd. Tyson looks like he could hit in the big leagues right now....if only you had control over your draftees before the next season after drafting them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #36
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

btw, just noticed that this thread had yet to be rated, which is an out and out crime! 5 stars all the way.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royals19
Bunting to break up a no-no definitely seems like a Ted Turner type of call. It wouldn't surprise me if he's giving signs from the press box or his seat somewhere in the ball park.
It was a questionable call. It is written somewhere in an unwritten book of useless baseball facts and man laws that the first hit of a no-hitter should not be a bunt.

It's a chicken**** thing to do. Bob Brenly's words not mine.

But if you think about the sequence to even get to that point, you may come to the conclusion that I did, that the CPU tactic put us in a situation to not win the ballgame.

1. Schafer bunts, breaks up no hitter

2. Manager immediately removes SP and brings in Closer

3. 8th inning rally supposedly put on breaks, but the "no-hitter" is off the books.

Quote:
Diamond Demos: Schafer's Bunt. Good Offense or Bad Defense
Zimmermann was struggling, and was either going to give up the crucial hit to break his back, or he was going to walk a guy and get the next guy up to the plate to cash in. Da fugg is Schafer doing breaking that gravy train up in such a selfish way????

You could just tell after 100 pitches he wasn't quite the same and the dude was pushing 120 pitches at this point. The CPU electing to bunt in that situation and take the easy money of not being no hit, took Zimmermann off the hook and put our Braves in a worse situation as a much better pitcher entered into the game. Surprised we got out of that one on the plus side of the bar.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #38
MVP

Quote:
First off, let me say it's killing me trying to figure out what you'll get for Dan Uggla. Looking forward to that!
That's a really good point. One that had I realized just how low on the great 2nd basemen of the league totem pole our boy Dan Uggla was we wouldn't even have gone in this direction. You are exactly right, Dan Uggla has goose eggs for trade value at the moment. He's not only not a good fit for our lineup, he doesn't appear to logically fit on ANYONE's roster.

damn...

Much to Ted Turner's delight of course. Dan Uggla being forced to stay home in Atlanta due to the fact that he is the 27th best 2B in the game may be a statistical loss. But All and all as we saw earlier he really didn't want to trade him as the guy is a long tenured Brave and deserves better than a straight exile to Oakland or Miami..

Whoops already served hard time in Miami you say Dan? My bad....

Still, we have a log jam at 2B.. La Stella is getting the nod unfortunately. His first official action in the starting lineup as a starter coming just a few days ago up in New York. Dan Uggla is now the 10th man on our roster, which is not a bad spot to be, since dude's need rest and he can fill in...

but financially here's a massive contract sitting on the bench, taking money out of our cold pockets and into the red of the fiscal page. We need another option on this one.

Quote:
Secondly, man did you get a weirdo 1st rounder, lol. A combo of Emmitt Smith and Mike Tyson in stature and in name. A 19 y/o who also is a 4-yr college guy (???!!?). This guy is not only a ballplayer, but was a child prodigy who had a perfect MCAT score and got accepted to the top medical schools at age 12 (feel free to take any of this stuff I'm spewing out my @$$ as background material).
I like this intelligence angle you have going here... I'm not really sure what they were implying with the class years, but having a rocket scientist in our system could make for an interesting back story.

Last edited by lilbiggio; 07-11-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #39
MVP

June comes to a close and the Braves are still not in first place.

OH LAWD, sound the alarms, boil up the coffee, and start biting your fingernails. This is appearing to be our worst season in Memoirs history. Washington doesn't appear to be giving up the reigns of first. They are actually getting annoyingly stronger.

So why are the Braves struggling? Well when you lose 3 of 4 to the Mets that will get the job done. When you take a sweep from the defending champs to end the month of June on a 6 game slide and kill any work that was done earlier in the month...

Well, you're going to fall from grace. That's the nature of the race.

The rankings screen will give you a quick insight on our troubles.

The Pitching has been great. You can Thank Teheran for having an all-time historical type year. We're also getting great starts from Minor and Medlen, and Hanson has been dominant.

But the batting is straight killing us. Carrying so many rookies, and learning on the fly batters is destroying our average, and it appears to finally be catching up to us on the simulation side of things. With the play 1- Sim 5 approach, I just don't see us making up the gap. By July it may be time to set our sights on the Wildcard.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #40
MVP

In another OH LAWD, sound the alarms, boil some coffee and let's prepare to do the Charleston moment. A player got injured.

Now granted a year ago, it was my fault that injuries were non existent. And it made things a bit too easy to be honest. I miss the days when guys would get hurt seemingly every other week and we were having to demote and premote and send guys to AAA for rehab stints.

Where the heck did that GO?!! That was so much fun!

But yes... a dude got hurt. It IS in the game. I was genuinely worried bros.

Quote:
Jameson Taillon Gets Knocked Out Of Game

A scary moment at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, as a ball ricochets off of the bat of Chris Johnson towards Jameson Taillon.
We have seen this animation happen probably hundreds of times. The pitcher gets hit. He is then shown limping around with Matty V wondering if he can continues. We all know that he most certainly will continue.

But NOT this time my firiends. First time I have seen a guy get legitimately K.O.'ed in the game. And stay down for the count. And rightly so, if you take a ball straight to the dome.. you shouldn't be getting up and pitching a few more innings. The little things...

Prior to the knockout, Taillon had only surrendered 1 hit, a walk and no runs. As soon as he got hit, Schafer scores, the Pirates frantically sub in a replacement, and the wheels come off. An ugly win for the boys and we'll have to wait and see how we fare on the sticks when a guy isn't concussed out of the ball game.

Last edited by lilbiggio; 07-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »