Home

'Santa Maria!': San Diego Padres Franchise [MLB 14: The Show]

This is a discussion on 'Santa Maria!': San Diego Padres Franchise [MLB 14: The Show] within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
'Santa Maria!': San Diego Padres Franchise [MLB 14: The Show]

SAN DIEGO PADRES 2014 SEASON PREVIEW

Last season, Bud Black's Padres were waylaid by injuries, but they managed a 76-86 record, which isn't bad in context. That record was helped by a 16-11 record in September. Can the Pads recapture that late-year momentum and notch their first winning season since 2010? Let's break it down for 2014 ...
Probable lineup
1. Everth Cabrera, SS
2. Will Venable, CF
3. Chase Headley, 3B
4. Carlos Quentin, LF
5. Yonder Alonso, 1B
6. Jedd Gyorko, 2B
7. Seth Smith, RF
8. Nick Hundley, C

Bench: C Rene Rivera, OF/1B Kyle Blanks, INF/OF Alexi Amarista, OF Chris Denorfia, OF Reymond Fuentes

Last season, the Padres ranked 12th in the NL runs scored. Petco Park, despite the fences being drawn in, still played as a pronounced pitcher's environment. On that point, it's worth noting that the 2013 Friars ranked a more respectable seventh in runs scored on the road. Also on the positive side, only the Giants achieved the offensive platoon advantage a higher percentage of the time.

What will help the Padres in the season to come is if Headley, the lineup fulcrum, enjoys a bounce-back. His numbers last season certainly weren't bad in context (116 OPS+), but after his stellar 2012, expectations weren't quite met. There's no doubt that the fractured thumb he suffered in spring training dragged down his numbers. He maintained his base-level hitting skills, so now that he's fully healthy the power numbers should return. Speaking of injuries, the Padres put a player on the DL 22 times last season, and 12 of those were position-player transactions. Given better health, the offense should improve in 2014.

Probable rotation
1. Ian Kennedy
2. Andrew Cashner
3. Josh Johnson
4. Tyson Ross
5. Eric Stults

In 2013, the Padres ranked 12th in the NL in rotation ERA and last in rotation WAR. Suffice it to say, you're not going to contend with starting pitching of such a low quality. Moving forward, it's worth noting that a good bit of the damage last season was done by Edinson Volquez and Clayton Richard, who combined to allow 144 runs in 195 innings. Volquez is now a Pirate, and Richard opted for free agency after being out-righted to the minors. Moreover, a full season of Kennedy, the breakout potential of Cashner and the upside of Johnson all portend better days. Expect improvement on this front.

X-Factor: Avoiding Injuries
The Padres won’t be able to prove their talent unless their key players can stay on the field. While staying healthy is only part of the issue—many of the team’s oft-injured players have question marks on the field as well—there’s no question various injuries have constantly held the Padres back.

On paper, this team has a decent shot to contend for a playoff spot once the injured players return. Josh Johnson was one of the National League's best pitchers when he was healthy a few years ago, and Cameron Maybin has shown his ability to anchor an outfield in the past, with a solid 4.5 WAR in 2011. In short, the Padres’ chances are questionable even when healthy, but those chances go down to nil if the key injuries keep occurring.

Last edited by CBMerling; 05-19-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Pro

Re: 'Santa Maria!': San Diego Padres Franchise [MLB 14: The Show]

San Diego Padres Depth Chart - 2014
  • Catcher
  • Y. Grandal
  • N. Hundley
  • First Base
  • Y. Alonso
  • Y. Grandal
  • Second Base
  • J. Gyorko
  • A. Amarista
  • Third Base
  • C. Headley
  • A. Amarista
  • Shortstop
  • E. Cabrera
  • A. Amarista
  • Left Field
  • C. Quentin
  • S. Smith
  • X. Nady
  • Center Field
  • C. Maybin
  • W. Venable
  • Right Field
  • W. Venable
  • C. Denorfia
  • S. Smith
  • Starting Pitcher
  • I. Kennedy
  • A. Cashner
  • J. Johnson
  • E. Stults
  • T. Ross
  • Relief Pitcher
  • R. Erlin
  • J. Benoit
  • A. Torres
  • N. Vincent
  • D. Thayer
  • T. Stauffer
  • Closer
  • H. Street
  • Designated Hitter
  • W. Venable
  • S. Smith

Last edited by CBMerling; 05-20-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Pro

San Diego Padres Prospect Handbook

1. Austin Hedges, C
Defense stands out. Absolutely terrific defensive player with incredible polish for his age. Potential complete package defensively. Blocks, receives, leads the pitching staff, throws, potential to completely control the game from behind the plate. Tremendous. More bat than originally thought. Has ability to use the whole field with at least gap power. Potential .270-.280 hitter with 10-15 home runs and 20-25 doubles. Will get to big leagues on defense alone. Should hit enough to be an All-Star level backstop. Defense could move quickly through the system but the bat will have to be proven at each level. Potential plus player overall.

2. Matt Wisler, RHP

A tall, thin pitcher being developed in the Padres system, Ohio native Matt Wisler looks every bit a future rotation anchor. In 20 AA starts last season, Wisler struck out almost exactly one batter per inning while walking barely more than one per game. That's exactly the sort of performance that the control-obsessed Padres love to see, and it's enough to put him in the mix for MLB consideration in mid-to-late 2014. Wisler works a couple of different low-90's fastballs with accuracy to both sides of the plate, but it's his slow curve that turns heads and misses bats most often. How he'll perform against better opponents is an open question, but if he continues his careful, clever approach while trusting his stuff, he should succeed.

3. Max Fried, LHP

Lots of tools and potential. Highly projectable pitcher with long frame and solid present stuff. Shows some feel for pitching at a young age, helping his long term projection. Good athlete with solid fielding ability. Very inexperienced and will have to learn sequencing and how to keep base runners from getting a good read on him. Above-average pickoff move but needs to improve the variety of looks. Potential number two or three starter depending on how much of his projection he fulfills.

4. Hunter Renfroe, OF

A catcher and pitcher in high school, Mississippi native Hunter Renfroe was drafted by the San Diego Padres (13th overall in 2013) as an outfielder, presumably signalling the team's intent to develop him quickly. And that's reasonable, given that his calling card is his offensive ability. The Cal Ripken League MVP in both 2011 and 2012, Renfro hit .395 and .366 in 2011 and 2012, respectively, and made himself known as a major power threat from the right side of the plate. He's an above-average runner, and has a real plus arm (he hit high-90's in his pitching days), which means he should be quite happy in right field soon.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
Pro

OP's Declaration

First and foremost, thank you to those who have already checked out this thread and to everyone who does from now on. I do this as much for myself, as I would for those that are following this franchise. It is fun, in my opinion. This is just a quick summation on what to expect from this franchise and what kind of settings I'm gone to use. It is also a bit about myself.

As I've mentioned before, this is my THIRD franchise. I did two others with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and my hometown team, the Houston Astros. Work got in the way and I couldn't keep up with updating. But now I am ready to get back on that horse and do another franchise. Hopefully with some better luck in regards to work. I'm going to start this franchise from day one, which is Opening Day.

If I make it past the first season and into the second, I'm going to do Spring Training for the 2015 season. If you've never seen my past franchise posts, I play every pitch, every strike, every out, and that starts with game one. I'm not even going to think about using quick counts, I enjoy working the counts myself.

I'll also being using PsychoBulk's sliders, on Hall of Fame difficulty. On my ABs I use zone hitting and I use the pitching meter while on the mound. Keeping things OLD SCHOOL!

I sort of went against my poll and chose a National League team, although a lot of people chose the Minnesota Twins in that poll. I've always been a National League "guy". My past two franchise on the OS forums were both from the American League, so this is a change of pace. No DH! As this point in the San Diego Padre's team history, things are interesting. They're rebuilding, but I like their starting rotation core.

Another thing that caught my attention with the Padres is, they've never won the World Series. I'm always a sucker for the underdogs.

The main reason I've done this OP message, etc, is to get you guys, the followers, involved. I'm gonna be controlling everything in the Friar's organization. I'd like those that keep track with this franchise to pitch me some ideas on some moves I should make, if ever the situation stands for it. I do this franchise-gig mostly for interaction with other baseball gurus.

Finally, tomorrow I plan on putting up the schedule for the month of April, and knock out that Opening Day game against the Dodgers. It should be updated tomorrow or at least Thursday morning. I truly do hope that you guys enjoy this thread, as said, I'm open to any and ALL suggestions. I'd like to keep this fresh and not let it go stale.

Thanks, and let the franchise BEGIN!

Last edited by CBMerling; 05-21-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm really excited for this man! Good luck and I'll be reading the whole way through!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
Rookie

beamerball811's Arena

OVR: 1

This looks really good! I'm heading out west for a summer internship in Los Angeles and hope to check Petco Park out for the first time. I really like the Padres and the potential they have, certainly following this!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
Pro

San Diego Padres April 2014 Schedule
DATEOPPONENTRESULT
Apr 1vs Los Angeles DodgersL, 9-2
Apr 2vs Los Angeles Dodgers
Apr 4at Miami Marlins
Apr 5at Miami Marlins
Apr 6at Miami Marlins
Apr 7at Cleveland Indians
Apr 8at Cleveland Indians
Apr 9at Cleveland Indians
Apr 11vs Detroit Tigers
Apr 12vs Detroit Tigers
Apr 13vs Detroit Tigers
Apr 14vs Colorado Rockies
Apr 15vs Colorado Rockies
Apr 16vs Colorado Rockies
Apr 17vs Colorado Rockies
Apr 18vs San Fransisco Giants
Apr 19vs San Fransisco Giants
Apr 20vs San Fransisco Giants
Apr 21at Milwuakee Brewers
Apr 22at Milwuakee Brewers
Apr 23at Milwuakee Brewers
Apr 24at Washington Nationals
Apr 25at Washington Nationals
Apr 26at Washington Nationals
Apr 27at Washington Nationals
Apr 28at San Fransisco Giants
Apr 29at San Fransisco Giants
Apr 30at San Fransisco Giants

Last edited by CBMerling; 05-26-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Pro

I appreciate all the enthusiasm, guys! I'm going to get that first game knocked out tomorrow, got a bit held up. But I've posted the schedule!

Going to make a change to settings also. Sliders I'm using work best with "Timing" hitting and "Pulse" pitching. So I'm gonna make the switch over. Be on the lookout tomorrow for the first game-posting!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »