Home

Minnesota Shakes | A Tale of Twin Cities (MLB14)

This is a discussion on Minnesota Shakes | A Tale of Twin Cities (MLB14) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #17
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Minnesota Shakes | A Tale of Twin Cities (MLB14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
I was a big fan of your Astros chise last year, but I already know I am going to love this even so much more. I have family in St Paul and have been to several Twins games back in the day at the Dome (talking 80's here with Pucket, Gagne, Gaetti, Hrbek ect).

Looks like Suzuki and Pinto are struggling at the plate. Any chance Joe goes back behind the dish so you can add a big bat at 1B?
Thanks. I always liked those same Twinkie teams back in the day. Scott Erickson was one of my favorite pitchers and who didn't like Kirby Puckett? Especially him being from the Chi. Some great players on those late 80s/early 90s squads. Remember Frank Viola? Jack Morris? I just barely remember the tail end of Bert Blyleven and Jeff Reardon's careers, lol.

No way is Mauer going behind the plate. He's strictly a 1B from now on. Only way he plays C is if both of my catchers get hurt in the same game. Pinto is a highly regarded prospect. I'd really need to start him for a whole year before I'd think of giving up on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrulenc
Great looking layout. Looking forward to continued video and picture coverage to go along with your game summaries.
Thanks. I am looking forward to that also!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #18
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Series 3 vs Athletics

Oakland Brings A-Game to Target Field

Music courtesy of Wilco. "I Might." The Whole Love. dBpm, 2011.

The Minnesota Twins continue their ice cold stretch on offense. The Twins were held to 4 runs over the entire 3-game series with Oakland. Jesse Chavez and his mohawk finessed their way through a 6-0 series opening shut out. Lefties Drew Pomeranz and Tom Milone baffled Minnesota with their junkballing ways in games 2 and 3. Pomeranz struck out 10, threw 33 knuckle-curves (88% for strikes), and the Twins went 0-10 off that pitch in the middle game.

Minnesota's starting pitching regressed badly after a successful 1st time through the rotation. Kevin Correia and Phil Hughes were hit very hard and Gardy's club could not keep Oakland at bay. Coco Crisp stung the ball--he and John Jaso got a combined 13 hits from the 1-2 holes in the order.

The series sweep has Minnesota on a 5-game losing streak and poor T.C. Bear on the edge of madness.

Game 7: A's 6, Twins 0

Game 8: A's 7, Twins 2

Game 9: A's 4, Twins 2

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 06-05-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Series 4 vs Royals

Kansas City Becomes Royal Pain

Music courtesy of The Jackson Five. "I Want You Back." Goin' Back to Indiana. Motown Records, 1973.

The Kansas City Royals came out on top 2 games to 1 after a nip-and-tuck series punctuated with a blow out get-away-day.

The first game took a series of improbable events to turn Kyle Gibson's 8.1+ IP masterpiece into a 13-inning loss for the Twins. Gibson had a 3-hit shutout entering the 9th before getting squeezed a bit and Glen Perkins couldn't save the game. Lorenzo Cain was on a mission for the Royals as he plated the tying run on a sac fly to force free baseball and also scored while hitting a "triple" in the 12th. Cain's "triple" was a well-hit ball to right that was played very poorly and as though LoCain could anticipate the relay would be offline, he shockingly made the turn around 3rd with the ball being relayed by Pedro Florimon. Luckily for KC, Florimon's throw was crap, far up the 1B line and Cain just beat a lunging Kurt Suzuki to the dish.

However, the Twins were able to equalize in the bottom of the 12th when a pair of walks and a groundout led to 2nd and 3rd, whereupon Aaron Hicks scored on a Greg Holland wild pitch. But the Twins fell behind again in the 13th on an Alex Gordon RBI single and Wade Davis saved the ballgame.

Minnesota was able to pull out the middle game on the strength of an 8th inning 3-run homer by Trevor Plouffe off Kelvin Herrera's best fastball. Ricky Nolasco was solid and the Twins got off the schneid after a 6-game losing skid.

Game 3 was a laugher and Kevin Correia continues to get pounded. Correia had very poor command and could not get out of the 5th inning. Correia had to throw 38 pitches in the 2nd inning alone. At this point, it's not hard to see whose rotation spot Alex Meyer will end up taking later in the summer. The Royals were 5-8 on Correia's 4-seamer, 2-2 on Matt Guerrier's curveball, and 3-4 on Kris Johnson's running FB.

The Royals batted balls found holes and gaps, whereas the Twins, despite 9 singles, were robbed by the BABIP gods on more than one occasion. Too many "at 'em balls" to count. The baserunning gaffes did not help either with Brian Dozier caught napping at 1st base, Joe Mauer getting tossed out at 2nd on a straight steal, and Pedro Florimon actually stealing 2nd as Salvador Perez's throw went into CF, but getting gunned down at 3rd on the same play by LoCain.

Game 10: Royals 4, Twins 3

Game 11: Twins 4, Royals 2

Game 12: Royals 8, Twins 3

Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Ouch. 4-8, not quite the start to the year we were all hoping for.

I just started up my M's Franchise again and when I got ready to start the season, I realized that Matt Harvey didn't resign with the Mets and they didn't have any budget room left to get him, so he joined the Twins on a 4 year 32 million dollar deal.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 PM   #21
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Ouch. 4-8, not quite the start to the year we were all hoping for.

I just started up my M's Franchise again and when I got ready to start the season, I realized that Matt Harvey didn't resign with the Mets and they didn't have any budget room left to get him, so he joined the Twins on a 4 year 32 million dollar deal.
Good for them! He'd be a very nice Twinkie at that price.

While 4-8 isn't very good, I'm still tweaking sliders etc as I go and let's be honest, no one expects this Twins team to contend for the playoffs after 3 straight 95+ loss seasons. Even in real life where they're around .500, no one expects that to last. We'll see what happens, but I am resigned to having a losing season and building it the right way. The team should improve on offense once I get Willingham and Arcia back in a month. Willingham can actually be a legit cleanup hitter. I am also excited to see what Alex Meyer can bring to the table when I call him up. Throws gas.

Oh, and Matt Harvey is out for the year with elbow surgery in mine...I made the injuries true to life. Maybe he'll come back weak and the Mets will trade him to me! lol not likely
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #22
MVP

BZito75's Arena

OVR: 11

Awesome franchise and great work chipping in your dedication on the rosters. Quick question, do you use meter or classic pitching. I ask cause your stats look phenomenal.

Edit: read the first post... Sorry. Go twins! Great stuff.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #23
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Series 5 vs Blue Jays

Twinkies Jump Jays, Dickey Immune to Creamy Filling

Music courtesy of Alabama Shakes. "Heavy Chevy." Boys & Girls. ATO Records, 2012.

After a sputtering start to the 2014 season, the Twins offense pounced on lefty J.A. Happ in Game 1 of this series. Happ was knocked around for 3+ IP and Brian Dozier clocked a pair of HRs to seal the deal for Minnesota.

The Jays starters did not do them many favors in Game 2 either as Twins castoff Liam Hendriks was pounded in his 3+ IP of work. The Jays pen made it a game, but ultimately the Blue Jays could not come all the way back against a wild Sam Deduno.

R.A. Dickey was magnificent in helping Toronto avoid the sweep. Dickey could not miss the strike zone and even though Twinkie hitters were laying the lumber, Dickey's late movement was just too much. Twins hitters made weak contact and tallied 4 popups, 6 choppers, a 27% foul ball rate, and 10% swing-and-misses. The Twins had only 4 batted balls register as line drives all game. Kyle Gibson was not magnificent and his 5 BBs and 1 wild pitch that allowed a run to score gave Toronto too much for free.

The Twins won their first series since beating the White Sox 2 of 3. Both Jason Kubel and LHP Kris Johnson are on DFA watch after seeing their slumps deepen.

Game 13: Twins 8, Blue Jays 3

Game 14: Twins 4, Blue Jays 3

Game 15: Blue Jays 4, Twins 1

Old 06-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Looks like the real life Twins think they needed a new 1B/DH. Now the question is does your team?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »