Home

The Beginning - OOTP 16 - 1871

This is a discussion on The Beginning - OOTP 16 - 1871 within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2015, 05:24 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Beginning - OOTP 16 - 1871

Welcome all, I will be starting in the year 1871. I will beginning with the Chicago White Stockings. I will have cannot be fired off so if i get fired than I will start over in the minors or with a different team. We will cross that bridge when we get there. OOTP Development will be on rather than real stats just for fun and there will be AAA, AA, A, Short A and rookie ball. They will for the most part be useless in the early years until we get further. Anyways here we go:

The year is 1871, the dawn of baseball is just upon us. 8 new franchises are awarded to the following cities: Baltimore, Maryland which will be called the Canaries, Boston, Massachusetts which will be called the Red Stockings, Brooklyn, New York which will be called the Atlantics, Chicago, Illinois which will be called the White Stockings, Cincinnati, Ohio which will be called the Reds, Cleveland, Ohio which will be called the Forest Citys, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania which will be called the Athletics and St.Louis, Missouri which will be called the Brown Stockings.

These 8 teams will be spilt into 2 leagues called the American League which will contain the:
Baltimore Canaries, the Cleveland Forest Citys, the Philadelphia Athletics and the St.Louis Brown Stockings.

The other league which will be called the National League will contain the

Boston Red Stockings, the Brooklyn Atlantics, the Cincinnati Reds and the Chicago White Stockings of course.

There are 115 eligible players who will go into the Inaugural Draft. The draft follows as this:

1. Chicago White Stockings
2. Brooklyn Atlantics
3. Baltimore Canaries
4. Philadelphia Athletics
5. St.Louis Brown Stockings
6. Boston Red Stockings
7. Cleveland Forest Citys
8. Cincinnati Reds

Believe me or not that was the draft order when I went to the draft screen, I was going to go with whatever it was whether I'd be drafting 8th or not. It is also a snake draft anyway. As today comes to a close we will learn more about the draft tomorrow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: The Beginning - OOTP 16 - 1871

Who to draft? with the first overall pick in the inaugural draft, that is the question. There are 115 players gunning to be drafted. 115 players who are raring for this to happen yet only 1 will go down in baseball history as the 1 player who was the 1st EVER drafted player in Major League Baseball History. With only 10 starting pitchers available I am leaning toward a pitcher. There will always be hitters available but only 10 SP, thats an astounding 9% of the draft. What also made my choice easier is that I wont pick until 15 spots later at 16 you wouldn't think 10 starting pitchers would last 14 picks right? This is where it gets tricky though. I am torn between 2 players.

Asa "Count" Brainard and Al Spalding. Asa is already 29 and in his prime. He has a 5 star/5 star rating while Al is the second best at 4 star/5 star rating but is 9 years younger. Asa's best pitch was a sinker ball which was at a 55 rating while Al's splitter came in at about 39. Both have the same stuff which is 16 and both are groundball pitchers which should have been obvious by now. Hmm. What a tough decision. Here I thought 1st overall picks are supposed to be easy. My 'recommendation" is Asa "Count" Brainard. However until I do the draft here are the top 10 players based on potential:

1 - 18 Year Old 3B Cap "Pop" Anson
2 - 20 Year Old 2B Ross Barnes
3 - 29 Year Old SP Asa "Count" Brainard
4 - 21 Year Old CF Dave Eggler
5 - 22 Year Old RP Frank Fleet
6 - 21 Year Old CF George Hall
7 - 19 Year Old RF Dick Higham
8 - 28 Year Old LF Steve King
9 - 24 Year Old LF Andy Leonard
10 - 21 Year Old RP Joe McDermott
Old 04-15-2015, 02:30 AM   #3
Rookie

January 1st, 1871, The pick is in, The Chicago White Stockings have made a decision on who they will draft 1st Overall in the inaugural draft. GM and Manager Shawn Howard has went with potential rather than a player in his prime and selected SP Al Spalding. Tops out at 90-92 MPH.

The next pick belonged to the Brooklyn Atlantics and they selected SP Asa "Count" Brainard. I knew he wasn't going last very long after I didn't select him. He is already 29 so he has what only 5 years left of his prime. Tops out at 90-92 MPH.

3rd overall went to the Baltimore Canaries and they selected arguably the best hitter available in 2B Ross Barnes. Only 20 years of age and he has the a contact rating of 69 with a potential rating of 98 while he a plus defender as well.

Philadelphia came in with the 4th overall pick and they selected SS George Wright who is a great defender and has plus speed. His hitting is that of Ross Barnes but he has plus power at a rating of 4 with potential of 7 and gap power of 76 but his contact skills need work.

St.Louis Brown Stockings had the 5th overall pick and a 3rd pitcher was selected as SP George "Charmer" Zettlein. He is only 26 years old and his stuff is just a bit worse than Al and Asa's stuff at 14 and his splitter is coming in at 39. He has great movement at 89. Tops out at 89-91 MPH.

Boston comes up with 6th overall an announce they will select the 4th pitcher of the first in SP Dick McBride. Dick McBride is a fastball pitcher as its at a rating of 31 while his control comes in at 89 and movement at 85 with potentials of 100/89. Tops out at 90-92 MPH.

Cleveland is at 7th overall and they select 3B "Long" Levi Meyerle. He is listed as a 3B but he may very well be used as a RF as thats where he is better defensively. He is a massive power threat with HR power rating at 23 while contact comes in at 83 with a potential rating of 97. He is not a threat on the basepaths though.

The State of Ohio drew the short straw as they are 7th and 8th with the Reds selecting SP Bobby Matthews. The 5th pitcher of the first round tops out at 89-91 MPH. He is a has some decent stuff at 12 with a potential of 19. Still young enough to improve since he is only 19.

There we have the first round here is how the the whole draft played out:

Rounds 1-9
HTML Code:
file:///C:/Users/Shawn/Documents/Out%20of%20the%20Park%20Developments/OOTP%20Baseball%2016/saved_games/Operation%20Sports%201871.lg/news/html/leagues/league_100_draft_log_0.html
Rounds 10-15
HTML Code:
file:///C:/Users/Shawn/Documents/Out%20of%20the%20Park%20Developments/OOTP%20Baseball%2016/saved_games/Operation%20Sports%201871.lg/news/html/leagues/league_100_draft_log_1.html
Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
Rookie

Roster Overview

Starting PItchers

Al Spalding - Round 1 - Pick 1 - Age 20

Al Spalding was the first overall pick in the inaugural draft and for good reason. He has some of the best stuff in the draft. His control and movement are in the 90's with control having the potential to be 100. He has a good splitter at 39 and his fastball is not far behind with 31. He won't be winning and gold gloves anytime soon but he is an average defender. His hitting needs work but that is expected from a pitcher. His contact though has the potential to be 74. No threat on the basepaths. The only man who can challenge him for best pitcher in baseball is Asa "Count" Brainard who is 9 years older.

"Uncle" Al Pratt - Round 2 - Pick 16 - Age 23

Al Pratt was the last pick of the 2nd round. I took him for pitching depth. I don't want Al pitching all spring training games and all season, so he was a depth move and with me having the very next pick due to this being a snake draft, I took a pitcher. This isn't to say he is a bad SP at all, his stuff is just a bit below Spalding's but his movement and control have topped out in the mid 80's. He has a very good cutter compared to other pitchers at 35 while his fastball comes in at 28. He is about as good as he will ever get as a hitter which isn't very good, good thing we pay him to pitch.

Catchers

Henry Kohler - Round 12 - Pick 96 - Age 18

Henry was selected to be the back-up catcher. His game calling is above average with 61 and his catcher arm is average with 51. He doesn't make a lot of contact but he does have gap power if he does make contact. He is only 18 so maybe he will improve but now he just proves to be your prototypical backup catcher. No speed what soever. Can also play 3B and 1B if need be with ratings of 45 and 46. If he hits in spring training though, I will think about starting him more.

Fergy Malone - Round 5 - Pick 33 - Age 26

Fergy Malone will be the starting catcher this year. It will be his to lose going into spring training. Just like Henry, he is above average at game callling and his arm is average. He makes decent contact coming in at 56 and his gap power is at 52 so he will hit doubles and his average speed may squeak in a triple every now and then. Like I said, starting catcher is his as long as he produces like a starter. Can also play 1B if need be albeit in dire situations as his rating is 29.

First Base

Charile Bierman - Round 15 - Pick 113 - Age 25

Charile Bierman was really a pick for depth. He was one of the last picks in the draft and for good reason. He's not very defensive and that doesn't mean he is offensive either. He is more of a pinch hitter and will not play much this year unless injuries really really pile up. Contact rating of 23 is yikes but has decent gap power if he makes contact. No speed. Can only play 1B not very well albeit.

Charlie Gould - Round 7 - Pick 49 - Age 23

Charlie Gould, like Malone will be the starter unless he completely falters and is out hit by Bierman. Gould is an above average defender. Grades out at 59. His contact rate he a little below average as it is at 44 with potential of 49 while his gap power is pretty good at 62. He also has some home run power you would assume with that gap power. His power is at 13. He is also a semi threat on the bases with 84 baserunning, 79 stealing and 54 speed. Could have a decent MLB career. Can only play 1B.

Second Base

Bob "Magnet" Addy - Round 8 - Pick 64 - Age 28

Bob Addy is a pretty good ball player. He is already in his prime at 28 so I will need to develop another one rather soon. He will make the defensive plays you would expect and sometimes pull off the spectacular. He grades out at a 58 2B. His contact skills need some work at 42 but can improve to 57 in the future. He has some gap power at 50 but no home run power. He can be a threat on the bases but don't expect too much. He isn't the best 2B but he is serviceable. Can also play SS at a 36 rating.

Third Base

Fred Waterman - Round 3 - Pick 17 - Age 25

Fred Waterman was the first position player I chose. I chose him because he is very exceptional at the hot corner. His infield stats all grade out at 75+. His contact skills need work but has the potential to be 85. He will be hitting 3rd in the lineup his whole life it seems. He also has very good speed. He will swipe double digits. He can also play catcher and he won't be out of place there at all.

Warren White - Round 13 - Pick 97 - Age 26

Warren White is your typical backup infielder. He can play 3B which he is pretty decent at. He can play 2B which is ok and SS but only if no one else can fill in because that is his lowest rated position at 27. His contact skills aren't good but they can improve to 50 is all falls into place. He can also swipe a bag or two a year.

Shortstop

Chick Fulmer - Round 6 - Pick 48 - Age 19

Chick Fulmer is a plus defender. He can play short with the best of them. It is his hitting that will decide whether he will be an all star for years to come or not. As it stands he is an ok hitter with contact at 39 with potential of 49 and some decent gap power at 59. He has some home run power at 7. He is not a threat to run. It will be interesting to see where he goes in his career. He can also fill in at 3B.

Left Field

Ralph Ham - Round 9 - Pick 65 - Age 21

Ralph Ham is a serviceable LF. He isn't going to be the best fielder but as long as he doesn't mess up to bad I shouldn't have too much of a problem with him here. He is a pretty decent hitter coming in with mid 40 ratings of contact and gap power. Where he will really make a difference is on the bases. He will steal a bunch year in and year out. His future lies as a pinch runner as he get further on in years. Can also play 3B and SS just as well as LF all at high 40's.

Center Field

George Bird - Round 10 - Pick 80 - Age 20

George Bird is much in the same boat as Ham. He can field ok with his good range but his mental error let's him down. He is going to make ok contact and has decent gap power. He has no speed but he will do for now.

Right Field

George Bechtel - Round 4 - Pick 32 - Age 22

George is my out field pillar. He is the best fielder and the best hitter. His fielder grades out as above average as he has great range. The rating is at 60. He can also play LF if need be. His hitting though very great he should provide good protection for Fred Waterman. He will also swipe a lot of bases in the coming years. His speed is next to none, well other than Ralph Ham. Bechtel and Waterman should be a formidable duo for years to come. The offence will live and die through these two.

George Ewell - Round 14 - Pick 112 - Age 20

George Ewell will be just depth. Will not really play that much unless Bechtel completely falls flat. Will be one of the first players off the 40 man roster in the coming years.

I'm hoping for a very decent year and hopefully challenge for a playoff spot right away. We will see how spring goes as the owner expects a winning season and for me to build a team to reach the playoffs within 5 years. Next up is Spring Training!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Rookie

Top 100 Prospects:

1. Cap "Pop" Anson - St. Louis Brown Stockings - Round 2 - Pick 12 - Age 18 - 3B or C

Cap Anson comes in as the top ranked prospect in the coming season. He has the potential to be one of the greatest hitters in the game and he is only 18. His contact potential is an outstanding 85 while he home run power potential is at 16. He also has great gap power at 74. He can also steal a few bases a year. It will be interesting to see how he turns out as he will have a long career depending on injuries. Defence needs a little work though. Not the best defender.

2. Ross Barnes - Baltimore Canaries - Round 1 - Pick 3 - Age 20 - 2B or SS

Ross Barnes is the 2nd ranked prospect who is already a very polished hitter. He makes good contact and has amazing gap power. His contact can also improve from an amazing 69 rating to an unreal 98. He is also a threat to steal everytime he reaches base. His defence is also very acceptable although he will commit the odd error a season. Gold Glove potential. First position player taken in the draft makes me wonder why he is ranked 2nd and not 1st. He seems to be better in every way compared to Cap Anson.

3. Cal McVey - Cincinnati Reds - Round 2 - Pick 9 - Age 21 - C or RF

Cal McVey comes in ranked 3rd in the top 100. He is decent at play calling and has an average catchers arm. His contact skills are off the charts already at only age 21 as it is rated 71 with a potential to 91. His gap power is great at 73 while his home run power can improve to 7. A few things I can think of that is holding him back are playing catcher as that will take a toll over a season and his lack of speed. He isn't the fastest runner butthat certainly doesn't mean he is the slowest. Will swipe a few.

4. "Long" Levi Meyerle - Cleveland Forest Citys - Round 1 - Pick 7 - Age 21 - RF or 3B

Levi Meyerle is a very good hitter. He can make solid contact despite being only 21 and has the potential to be the best contact hitter in the game at a potential rating of 97. He has good gap power and he has the most home run power in the game today at 23. What has him ranked so low is his defence which is average to subpar depending on the position he plays He also has no speed. He can be the best hitter in the world but can he defend at just a serviceable rate?

5. Fred Waterman - CHICAGO WHITE STOCKINGS - Round 3 - Pick 17 - Age 25 - 3B or C

Fred Waterman is the oldest of the top 5 at 25, so there may not be room for a ton of improve say that of Cap Anson who is only 18. Fred though is a plus plus defender. He can turn the double play and make it look easy and he has great range, the only downside is he can lose focus sometimes. His hitting is decent but can improve from 55 to 81 in the contact department while he also has above average gap power and some speed.

6. Deacon White - St.Louis Brown Stockings - Round 3 - Pick 21 - Age 23 - C, 2B or RF

Deacon White projects to be one of the top catchers in the game. His play calling is good and his arm is ok. His hitting and gap power are above average but just like everyone we have talked about so far, his contact skills can improve a lot, from 50 to 74.

7. George Hall - Brooklyn Atlantics - Round 3 - Pick 18 - Age 21 - CF

George Hall comes in at number 7 mainly due to being a superb outfielder. He has great range and a decent arm. His hitting needs to improve to be one of the best OF in the game. His contact skills are below average but can improve to 79. Has ok speed.

8. George Wright - Philadelphia Athletics - Round 1 - Pick 4 - Age 23 - SS

The 2nd position player taken in the draft is only ranked 8th? why? well let me tell you his contact skills need work coming in at only 46 but it can improve to 79. His defence though is off the charts as he will be a perennial gold glove candidate. He also has plus plus speed. The hitting needs work then we would have an amazing all around player.

9. Lip Pike - Brooklyn Atlantics - Round 2 - Pick 15 - Age 25 - LF, RF, 2B, 3B or CF

Lip Pike is more of a hitter than a fielder although he can play multiple positions, albeit not very well. His best two are LF and RF both at 49. He can make ok contact at 57 but has a potential of 79. His gap power is off the charts at 85 while he has solid home run power at 23. He has decent speed can swipe a few here and there but it is his defence that keeps him ranked so low.

10. Dave Eggler - Philadelphia Athletics - Round 2 - Pick 13 - Age 21 - CF

Dave Eggler rounds out the top 10 of 100 I have here for you to read. Eggler is an outstanding fielder with amazing range, chances are he will catch whatever you hit toward him or even toward the gaps. He has great speed to get to double digit steals every year. His hitting is what will let him down as he makes average contact and that doesn't seem to improve in the future. The rating is only 50 with potential of 55.

There we have it folks the top 10 prospects in the year 1871!

rest of the list can be seen here:

HTML Code:
file:///C:/Users/Shawn/Documents/Out%20of%20the%20Park%20Developments/OOTP%20Baseball%2016/saved_games/Operation%20Sports%201871.lg/news/html/leagues/league_100_top_prospects.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Rookie

Very interesting idea
Old 04-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Rookie

Are the links working? if you guys happened to look at the links that is
Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
Rookie

Spring Training Stats:

Pitchers:

Code:
                   Spring Training
Starting Pitchers   W  L SV SO  IP   ERA   |  W  L  ERA   WHIP  G GS   IP    H ER HR BB SO
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Pratt            8  7  0 21 119.2 5.57  |  8  7  5.57  1.87 18 17 119.2 174 74  1 50 21
Al Spalding         6  4  0  8  90.2 3.67  |  6  4  3.67  1.65 11 11  90.2 130 37  0 20  8
Batters:

Code:
                        Spring Training
PO  Batters              BA  AB  H  R HR RBI SB  |  BA    OBP   SLG  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1B  Charlie Bierman    .288  66 19 23  0  13  0  | .288  .333  .470  66 23 19  6  3  0  13  5  0  0  0
1B  Charlie Gould      .329  85 28 31  1  19  3  | .329  .356  .529  85 31 28  4  5  1  19  3  1  3  4
2B  Warren White       .298  84 25 23  0  13  0  | .298  .352  .452  84 23 25  3  5  0  13  7  1  0  1
3B  Fred Waterman      .337  83 28 28  0  24  2  | .337  .412  .530  83 28 28  4  6  0  24 12  2  2  0
SS  Chick Fulmer       .313 115 36 38  3  28  0  | .313  .413  .609 115 38 36  3 11  3  28 21  1  0  0
LF  George Bechtel     .254  67 17 20  0   9  4  | .254  .320  .284  67 20 17  0  1  0   9  7  2  4  4
LF  Ralph Ham          .347  75 26 23  0  14  8  | .347  .398  .573  75 23 26  3  7  0  14  7  0  8  3
CF  George Bird        .252  81 33 21  0  30  1  | .252  .342  .417  81 21 33  1 10  0  30 18  1  1  2
RF  George Ewell       .407  81 33 33  0  19  0  | .407  .463  .531  81 33 33  4  3  0  19 10  1  0  1
RF  George Heubel      .366  93 34 34  2  27  1  | .366  .417  .720  93 34 34  5 11  2  27  9  3  1  0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PO  Catchers             BA  AB  H  R HR RBI SB  |  BA    OBP   SLG  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS
C   Henry Kolher       .273  77 21 25  0  20  0  | .273  .325  .429  77 25 21  4  4  0  20  6  1  0  0
C   Fergy Malone       .362  94 34 33  1  21  8  | .362  .435  .468  94 33 34  1  3  1  21 13  2  8  5

Last edited by SHoward19; 04-18-2015 at 10:18 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »