Home

~~Saving A Sinking Ship~~ The Seattle Mariners/Pittsburgh Pirates (08)

This is a discussion on ~~Saving A Sinking Ship~~ The Seattle Mariners/Pittsburgh Pirates (08) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #41
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: ~~Saving A Sinking Ship~~ The Seattle Mariners/Pittsburgh Pirates (08)

GAME #39

May 12,2008

PITTSBURGH PIRATES(25-13) VS ATLANTA BRAVES (17-21)

Braves blow 5-1 lead as Pirates rally in late innings for come from behind WIN!

PITTSBURGH- The Braves held a 4 run lead until the bottom of the 6th.

Rookie Right Fielder James Watterson stepped into the box. His eyes stared down the Pitcher Chuck James. One fastball later...

The Pirates were starting their 5 run inning to mount the comeback. Wattersons Home Run started it all. After that blast, MVP Candidate and Captain Jason Bay stepped in.

The rest is history.

The Buc's popped off 5 runs to mount the comeback.

"We have alot of heart. We keep fighting as long as the game is still going. This team has no quit." Manager Shawn Fulton stated.

"We know what our goal is and we're hungry to make it happen." Captain Jason Bay stated. Expect Pittsburgh to resign him in the Offseason.

Braves left hander Chuck James lasted 5 innings giving up 4 hits and 4 runs with just 4 Strikeouts.

"Rough game. No excuses." James stated.

For the Pirates, young left hander Zach Duke struggled himself today as well. He pitched 4 innings giving up 9 hits 5 runs and got 5 K's himself.

"He's young. He's gonna have those games. It's just baseball." Pirates Catcher Mike Piazza stated with a smirk.

Piazza, also on a one year deal has been phenomenal for his new club this year.

The Pirates(26-13) will start their 6 day road trip against Division Rivals, the St. Louis Cardinals(15-25) who have been struggling this year mainly due to injuries. Star Pitcher Adam Wainwright is on a 4 week D.L with a finger contusion.

The Pirates will then head to Chicago for a 3 game series with the Cubs(15-23) who are also having a bad year. The Cubbies are still in "Rebuild mode" even with the offseason signing of Kenny Lofton. The 40 year old has just 1 Homerun and 19 RBI's in 141 AB's.

It appears the "Kenny Lofton Experiment" is not paying off well.

With the injury to Adam Wainwright, St.Louis is expected to start Rookie Don Layne in his place. The young left hander has just been called up from Triple A Memphis.

He didn't come alone. Left Fielder Jonathan Hayward and Short Stop Hayden Haynes also got promoted with the injuries for the 2006 World Series Champions.

With the call ups, St.Louis will look to knock off Pittsburgh.

HOMERUNS

PIT: Wilson(4) Bay(25) Watterson (18,19) Bautista(5)

ATL: Jones (8)

WP: Dave Davidson(1-1)
LP: Manny Acosta(2-2)
SV: Tanashi Sasaki(13)

Last edited by johnstone1987; 01-16-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 PM   #42
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

GAME #40

May 12,2008

SEATTLE MARINERS(27-12) VS TEXAS RANGERS (18-21)

Welcome to The Show Tom Hubbman! Rangers knock off Mariners 3-2!

ARLINGTON- The Texas Rangers had an ace up their sleeve before Seattle landed in Dallas.

That ace was Tom Hubbman. A top Rangers prospect who was in Triple A Oklahoma at the start of the year has really blossomed in the Farm System.

Hubbman got the call that morning Seattle landed. He was also told he would be making his Major League Debut that day.

"It was surreal. I had butterflies in my stomach. This was something I've been dreaming about since I was a kid." Said Hubbman the new Rangers Pitcher.

The real surreal part however was Tom Hubbman's performance against the red hot bats of AL West Rival the Mariners.

Tom Hubbman was phenomenal in his debut. He went 8 innings giving up just 4 hits and 2 runs but picked up 15 Strikeouts in his debut.

That also includes striking out the dangerous Ichiro. Three times. Ichiro was 0-4 in todays game.

"He's one of the best. I mean that. It was an honor to shake his hand after that game." Hubbman stated.

Carlos Silva(3-2) pitched 6 innings but got rattled for 8 hits and 3 runs. Also picked up 7 K's.

Young Rangers Second Baseman Ian Kinsler got the party started with 2 triples.

"He's a great player. Very fun to watch.Love watching him play." Rangers Skipper Ron Washington stated.

Washington deserves credit for the curveballs. The Rangers(19-21) have beaten Seattle 4 of the last 5 games.

Thats impressive.

"It's important when you're chasing a team like Seattle who's also in the same Division that you throw curveballs and have aces up your sleeves."
Ron Washington stated.

Todays curveball was Tom Hubbman.

"Washington had the idea. I listened." General Manager Jon Daniels stated.

"They really deserve credit. Always keeping us on our toes." Mariners Brian Carmichael stated.

The Mariners will have a card up their sleeve themselves tomorrow when King Felix(7-0) takes the mound.

HOMERUNS

None

WP: Tom Hubbman(1-0)
LP: Carlos Silva(3-2)
SV: CJ Wilson(9)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 AM   #43
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

GAME #40

May 13,2008

PITTSBURGH PIRATES(26-13) VS ST. LOUIS CARDINALS (15-25)

PIRATES RALLY FOR COMEBACK WIN!!

ST.LOUIS- Relief Pitcher Don Layne took the start tonight for the injured Adam Wainwright, And it wasn't pretty. The Cards were down 3-0 in just the first inning.

Then the struggling Tom Gorzelanny(1-4) took the mound. We all know how this story goes.

Gorzelanny was terrible like he has been all season.

Gorzelanny lasted 3 innings giving up 11 hits 11 runs 2 walks and NO STRIKEOUTS.

The Cardinals had a 11-4 lead in the middle innings.

Then the Pirates went to work. The Bucs mounted a 7 run comeback to take the lead 13-12 in the 9th inning.

Then it was time for St.Louis to meet Tanashi Sasaki. The Japanese sensation picked up his 14th save of the year.

"He's really our backbone in that Bullpen. We all feel confident when #23 walks out." Pirates Skipper Shawn Fulton stated.

The Pirates look to keep the momentum going as they have now won 3 in a row.

Adam LaRoache got the comeback going as he had 6 RBI's.

WP: Romulo Sanchez(1-0)
LP: Joel Pinero' (0-1)
SV: Tanashi Sasaki(14)

Old 01-17-2018, 03:42 AM   #44
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

May 13,2008

PIRATES to upgrade Bullpen with Call-Ups!

PITTSBURGH- Its no secret that the weakest link for the Pittsburgh Pirates this year has been Pitching.

The Club overall is ranked 26th in Pitching. The Pirates have also given up the most Home Runs across the league. Today General Manager Neal Huntington has made some moves to bolster his Bullpen.

THE PROMOTIONS

Closer/Relief Masumi Kuwata.(39 Years old)

The Veteran have spent 2008 in Triple A Indianapolis to make room for Rookie Sensation Tanashi Sasaki.

Kuwata in 15 games have picked up 14 saves and 18 Strikeouts with an ERA of 1.98. He's expected to go to the Bullpen in a Relief Role.

DEMOTED to Triple-A (Romulo Sanchez) 11 K's, 5.11 ERA

Elmer Dessens (37 years old)

Another Veteran that can hold his own. 6-1 record, 33 K's, 4.50 ERA)

DEMOTED to Triple-A (Juan Perez) 9 K's 3.95 ERA

Last edited by johnstone1987; 01-17-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #45
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

GAME #41

May 13,2008

SEATTLE MARINERS(27-13) VS TEXAS RANGERS (19-21)

KING FELIX DOMINATES TEXAS IN COMPLETE GAME 6-0 VICTORY!

ARLINGTON- Last night Texas threw Seattle a curveball. A Rookie Tom Hubbman who kept Seattle's bats quiet for most of night.

Tonight, Seattle throws Texas a curve ball of their own. The King.

Felix Hernandez(8-0)

Hernandez dominated the Rangers tonight pitching a complete game picking up 16 strikeouts and only allowing 3 hits. DOMINANCE. Hernandez shut out Texas making them pay for their sins.

"He's hands down the best Pitcher in Baseball right now. The things he does, no one else can do." Mariners Manager Brian Carmichael stated.

"Felix is the guy who comes out and makes teams pay. Hands down the best in the game." First Basemen Richie Sexson stated.

"Everytime he takes the mound i'm watching him. He's an amazing player. I'm glad I don't face him." Joked Adrian Beltre the Mariners 3rd Baseman.

"My mindset is simple. I go out there to win. I feel confident I'll always get the job done." Felix Hernandez stated.

"It's always hard gameplanning for Felix (Hernandez). The guy is a CY Young candidate everytime he's out there." Rangers Skipper Ron Washington stated.

Kevin Millwood(3-4) struggled vs the Seattle's bats. 10 hits allowed, 3 runs, only 3 K's.

"Seattle is a tough team to face. That lineup is loaded with power." Millwood stated.

It looked to be a pitching duel with a 1-0 Seattle in the 7th until Adrian Beltre smacked his 14th Home Run of the year.

"We wanted to give Felix a cushion and knew 1-0 wouldn't cut it. I knew I had to go out there and hit the ball as hard as I could." Adrian Beltre stated.

The Texas Rangers(19-22) were completely helpless against Seattle.

"It was one of those games where you can't get anything going. " Ian Kinsler stated.

"Against a Pitcher like that, you're not going to play very well." Hank blalock stated.

Felix Hernandez(8-0) is a top candidate for the CY Young. He leads the entire league with Complete Games(4) Shutouts(3) Strikeouts(112) And Innings (69) .

The Mariners(28-13) and Rangers(19-22) will wrap up their 3 Game Series tomorrow afternoon in Arlington.

HOMERUNS

SEA: Beltre(14)

WP: Felix Hernandez(8-0)
LP: Kevin Millwood(3-4)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2018, 01:12 AM   #46
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

GAME #41

May 14,2008

PITTSBURGH PIRATES(27-13) VS ST. LOUIS CARDINALS (15-26)

ST.LOUIS-Despite a struggling season with injuries and mishaps, the Cardinals showed they can still be a team that can pick up wins. That was the case tonight. Cardinals Pitcher Chris Carpenter(3-5) pitched a solid 6 innings while allowing 9 hits and 2 runs but got 6 K's.

The Cardinals(16-26) jumped out to a 7-2 lead in the 6th inning making Freddy Garcia(5-3) scramble to find a rhythm. Garcia lasted just 5 innings allowing 4 runs 6 hits and 7 K's.

Albert Pujols 2 Home runs sealed the win for the Cardinals. The Pirates would attempt to comeback pulling within a 8-7 Card lead but Jason Isringhausen shut the door on the Pirates for his 9th save of the year.

The Cardinals would go on to win 8-7 despite a desperate comeback attempt by Pittsburgh(27-14).

WP: Chris Carpenter(3-5)
LP: Freddy Garcia(5-3)
SV: Isringhausen(9)

Last edited by johnstone1987; 01-18-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #47
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

GAME #42

May 14,2008

SEATTLE MARINERS(28-13) VS TEXAS RANGERS (19-22)

MARINERS HOLD off Rangers Comeback, win 10-9 and take Rubber match in Arlington

ARLINGTON- The rubber match today between Texas and Seattle was to simply put, World War 3. Both teams refused to go down without a fight. No one batted an eye. No one blinked.

The Mariners drew blood first. Opening up a 6-0 lead in just the 2nd inning off young Brandon McCarthy(1-6).

"It was one of those games where it could of gone either way." McCarthy stated.

McCarthy struggled. 13 Hits, 8 runs, 7 Strikeouts.

"It's not just his fault." Rangers Center Fielder Josh Hamilton stated. "We need to play better defense and not give up so many runs."

Hamilton had a day. He blasted 3 Home Runs and 6 RBI's.

Rookie Rick Thomas(6-1) took the ball for Seattle today. The Rangers pounded the rookie during their comeback attempt in later innings.

Thomas pitched 7 innings giving up 8 hits, 6 runs, got 14 K's.

Of the runs and hits were Home Runs by the Rangers.

"It just wasn't my day. I was solid for awhile but in the later innings they were hitting everything I was throwing at them." Mariners Rick Thomas stated.

For a Rookie out of Triple A Tacoma this Spring, Thomas has been phenomenal. 6-1 Record with a fastball in the triple digits.

"He's gonna be a star in this league. I tip my hat to that kid. Great Pitcher." Rangers Skipper Ron Washington stated.

Ichiro had a career day of his own stealing 4 bases (20).

"He's gonna break that record. Ichiro is just that determined. He puts his mind to everything." Mariners Skipper Brian Carmichael stated.

The Mariners(29-13) have tomorrow off while they travel back to Safeco Field to get ready for a 3 Game Series against their first National League team, The San Diego Padres(18-23).

The Rangers(19-23) also have tomorrow off where they get ready for a Series with the Houston Astros(19-22).

HOME RUNS

SEA: Ichiro(2) Ibanez(9) Watson(20)

TEX: Catalanotto(3) Hamilton(6) Barry(2) Byrd(1)

WP: Rick Thomas(6-1)
LP: Brandon McCarthy(1-6)

Old 01-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #48
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

GAME #42

May 15,2008

PITTSBURGH PIRATES(27-14) VS ST. LOUIS CARDINALS (16-26)

Tempers flare as Bucs beat Cards in 10 innings!

ST.LOUIS- Matt Clement was a real piece of work today. And not in a good way. The 33 year old struggled in just the first inning giving up 7 runs.

Rather than take a breath and work out of it, Clement decided to do the unthinkable. He purposely blasted Ian Snell at the plate with a fastball to the side of his head.

Snell went down motionless. The Cardinals faithful inside Busch Stadium was even stunned. Snell got up and trotted to first. Then Nyjer Morgan stepped in to the box. Clement hit him in the back then all hell broke loose.

Morgan charged Clement. It wasn't pretty. The Benches cleared. The fight was on.

"There is absolutely no excuse for a act like that. None." Cardinals Manager Tony La Russa stated.

After the brawl, Clement left the game and sources say he was so upset he even left the Stadium altogether.

"I was shocked that something like that happened." Pirates Skipper Shawn Fulton stated.

"It was disgusting. We're professionals up here and we acted like kids. I let my temper get the best of me." Pirates Outfielder Nyjer Morgan stated.

The Cardinals would battle back to force extra innings but fell in the bottom of the 10th when Tanashi Sasaki came in.

The Pirates(28-14) will leave St.Louis and fly to Chicago for another battle with the Cubs(17-24) who continue to struggle. The Pirates will finish out May against N.L Central Rivals.

The Cardinals(16-27) will do battle with the Rays(23-20).

No word yet on if Major League Baseball will throw out fines.

WP: Dave Davidson(2-1)
LP: Russ Springer(1-2)
SV: Tanashi Sasaki(15)

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »