Home

Old 05-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0
Miami Vice

Just some footnotes before I begin:

-Using OSFM 1.5, but with real contracts.
-30 team control.
-I'm editing the created free agents to be international FA's (Some real, some not), to avoid random high potential FA's from the US and Canada during the first season.
-The majority of trades that I'll be using trades are from the trade forum.
-Hoping to update on my franchise progress every 15 or so games, monthly prospect reviews, a draft review, trade deadline review, and then semi regular updates as the league heads towards the playoffs.
-I'm just using this as a tool so that I can be more immersed in my franchise (I have a habit of starting a franchise, losing interest and then starting a new franchise). I'm not expecting many to follow, but any feedback and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by kinsmen7; 05-27-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Re: Miami Vice

March 1, 2018-Miami:

After tearing the soul out of their few remaining fans yet again, Derek Jeter and the Marlins have hired me to take over as the new GM/scapegoat of the organization. I'm essentially here to mend our broken relationship with a community that this organization has essentially stolen millions upon millions of dollars from. There's a reason why there were no qualified applicants.

Even after an offseason where the team traded away 3 of the top outfielders in the league, I'm still only inheriting the 19th ranked farm system in baseball. A preseason ranking has us at 28th out of 30 teams, but that seems like it's probably a stretch. The organization is so far behind the ball to start the season that even our teams header is filled with players that no longer play for this team.

Manager Don Mattingly returns this season with an entirely new staff. Mattingly was extremely unhappy with regards to the organizations offseason activity, but was unwilling to walk away from the final 4 seasons of his contract, and we don't have the budget to fire him. His new staff is a mix of youngster getting their first taste in the big leagues, which seems like it's going to be a trend all around the organization this season.

What's the plan? Funny you should ask! My personal philosophy is that we're in such rough shape right now, and have pushed so many of our fans away from us, that the only solution is to push a bit farther and find the best possible offers for our last remaining stars (Barraclough, Bour, Castro and Realmuto), and build from there.

Jeter has a 3 year plan in mind though. 2018-Continue building up the farm. 2019-Ease young guys in and try to get as close to .500 as possible. 2020-Make the playoffs (wildcard or bust!).

Considering the lack of interest in my position before I was hired, I worry that if I have any small successes over the next couple of years, someone with a better resume will take interest and I'll get pushed out the door. So, I've cut it down to a 2 year plan: 2018-Build the farm, ease the kids into it, indentify areas of need around the team and stay competitive up until the trade deadline. 2019: Play the kids, shock the world.

Lofty goals, but with attendance issues and a community that hates us, we need to change the way we do business.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

March 5th, 2018-

MLB.com released their organizational lists of top 30 prospects this morning. Our top 10 looked like this:

1)Lewis Brinson (OF)
2)Monte Harrison (OF)
3)Jorge Guzman (RHP)
4)Braxton Garrett (LHP)
5)Trevor Rogers (LHP)
6)Magneuris Sierra (OF)
7)Isan Diaz (2B)
8)Nick Neidert (RHP)
9)James Nelson (3B)
10)Brian Miller (OF)

There's certainly some interesting players on there.

Brinson is a stud. He'll start the year in the majors. He already plays plus defense, but his bat hasn't quite caught up.

Sierra had a cup of coffee in the league last year for the Cards. He has a chance to make the club coming out of spring training, but he'll most likely start the year in AAA so that he can get a few more at bats.

At this point, we're hoping that Guzman, Garrett and Rogers are our future big 3. That's probably a bit of a stretch, but Guzman could have an impact at some point this year.

Honestly, if I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times in the short period that I've been here-This system is not where it needs to be.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

March 8th, 2018:

We could blame this situation on Loria's horrible ownership, the unfortunate passing of our ace, Jose Fernandez, or the first tear down of the Bruce Sherman/Derek Jeter era, but none of that matters anymore. I've got a job to do, and it's time to get my hands dirty!

A complete review of our major league roster tells me that we've got more questions marks than we have answers. J.T. Realmuto, our star catcher, demanded a trade before I was hired. After a quick chat with his agent, it's clear that he still wants out (and here I was thinking that as a rookie GM, I'd be able to walk in and immediately have the respect of our players!).

Interest immediately poured in on J.T. He's a star and everyone knows it. Sandy Alderson (Mets) and Mike Rizzo (Nats) both called, but we've done enough to hurt our fans without trading our best player to a division rival. I needed to get this done quick, so the questions wouldn't loom over us through spring training.

Jeff Bridich from the Rockies has a well rounded team that could compete for the NL West title this year, but he's got a glaring hole behind the plate and, and he's a bit thin at first base. You can't have holes if you're trying to beat the Dodgers!

We'll hold off on any major moves for the time being, but at some point we're going to have to maximize the value of the last few major league assets that we have.

Last edited by kinsmen7; 06-18-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

March 28, 2018-

Tomorrow is opening day. It's like Christmas day for baseball fans.

Spring training was rough. The team started out 8-8, and then proceeded to lose the following 12 to wrap it all up. Hard to get the negativity out of the locker room, but a few moves have given us a bit of reason for optimism.

Everyone is aware that this is going to be a long season, but we've got a few young players coming up, including Caleb Smith and rule 5 pick Elieser Hernandez. If these guys can perform a bit, and we have a few surprises then perhaps the team can avoid the basement.

Last edited by kinsmen7; 06-18-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #6
Rookie

alot of work ahead of you..Good luck
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

June 6th, 2018-

Draft day wrap-up.

What a successful day for our struggling franchise. We reached a bit to get our guy, but Humberto Feliciano seems like a great kid to keep building around.

An 18 year old Californian, Feliciano comes in fairly raw, but his speed will play well in the future with this team.

Second baseman Ramon Estrada was a compensation round pick, and may be the most major league ready players to be drafted. A 22 year old Texan, Estrada offers plus hitting skills, good speed, and has a bit of upside defensively. His power isn't there, which could be why he slipped as far as he did.

Connor Elez is another raw prospect with a whole lot of upside. The 18 year old center fielder from Minnesota has game changing speed, but will need a lot of work when it comes to his bat, and his defense.

Michael Carmona was the first pitcher to be chosen by the Marlins. A 20 year old lefty from Florida, Carmona has a plus fastball, but will need some time to develop his secondary pitches which include a curveball, slider and two seamer. His control is also seen as a potential issue.

High school players Adrian Nunez (SP) and Luis Ruis (SS) were the next two chosen by the team, followed by Alexis Rosado (LF). All three are young and raw, but are excellent athletes that the team hopes will develop into long term Marlins.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

July 2nd, 2018-

Today may have been the toughest day of my short tenure as GM of the Marlins.

At 32-54, it's clear that we're nowhere close. J.T. Realmuto has been very productive, but it was time to move him.

Marlins: Realmuto
Rockies: Brendan Rodgers + Riley Pint

Rodgers one of the top 5 prospects currently in the minors, and could be a mainstay in 2019 and beyond.

Pint's pure stuff is exciting, as he has the potential for four plus pitches -- if he can control them. He has an electric fastball that sits at 94-98 mph and has climbed as high as 102 with life and downhill plane, though he has yet to blow pro hitters away with it because he struggles to command it. He also can make hitters look bad with his pair of power breaking balls and his fading changeup but has had trouble getting ahead in the count to set up his secondary offerings.

A couple of hours later, we pulled the trigger on a Justin Bour trade. Bour was an allstar in 2017, and, along with Realmuto, was one of the lone offensive producers so far this season. The Yankees, looking to catch the Red Sox for the lead in the AL East, gave up their 2nd best prospect to get him.

Marlins: Bour
Yankees: Justus Sheffield

Sheffield could have three plus pitches when all is said and done. His 92-97 mph fastball features some run and sink and is his most consistent offering, though his mid-80s slider may have more upside. His changeup isn't as reliable as his first two options, yet he still shows the ability to miss bats with it.

Though Sheffield is a little shorter than desired for a starter at 5-foot-11, he still creates downhill plane with his delivery and doesn't throw with excessive effort. He's athletic and has been durable as a pro outside of his oblique injury. He improved his control in 2017 and has the potential to become a No. 3 starter.

What were we supposed to do?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »