Home

Rock N' Rolla In Hollywood [L.A Clippers]

This is a discussion on Rock N' Rolla In Hollywood [L.A Clippers] within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Rock N' Rolla In Hollywood [L.A Clippers]

Game: NBA 2K11
Platform: Playstation III
Difficulty: Superstar/Hall of Fame
Game Sliders: Simulation Mode with minor tweaks
Game Quarters Length: 11 Minutes
Simulated Game Quarters Length: 12 Minutes
Season Length: 82 Games
Salary Cap: On
Trade Deadline: On
Allow CPU Trades: On
Roster Update: On

Allow me to introduce myself:

- Hey everyone, the name's Tonji, this is my first time trying this out, I’m new to the site, but after following a few other dynasties from the Madden Forums and 2k forums, I figured that it was time I try one of my own. I like this idea and its fun – also it makes me stick with one team for once instead of changing every time that I get bored. Not only is this entertaining for you guys, but it keeps me entertained as well.

I chose the Clippers because I like what they have to offer; I think with the right adjustment, they could be a pretty good team in the NBA, possibly playoff contenders. Or, maybe that’s just my personal opinion. I was caught in a dilemma between the New York Knicks, and the New Orleans Hornets, then I ended up eliminating the Knicks from the equation because I simply don’t want to be matched up with any team from the East, and after a few test/exhibition games, I realized that I had a better feel for the game with the Clippers. So hence why I picked the ‘second rate’ L.A team with the intention of bringing back a title to L.A only this time, while wearing the Red and Blue.

Anyways, right now I’m playing in Superstar mode, still trying to get a feel for the game, and believe me I struggle a lot especially with the passing lanes, but eventually I plan to move on and play in Hall of Fame mode.

So until then, your boy is sticking with All-Star. I’m going to try my best to give you guys a realistic feeling about my association mode [spoiler alert]; minus the fact that Sir Charles is the GM of course, I just figured that it would add a little nice spark to my season.

Oh yeah, I will try to play every game, if not then I’ll probably play two straight games, and simulate the third one [I'll be playing every single team at least once, that's for sure.], and just continue that cycle until the end of the season.

Also, pardon me for my spelling/grammar errors; English is not really my first language, so I’m still learning as I write this out.

TABLE OF CONTENT

Last edited by Mr.Tonji; 01-27-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Rock N' Rolla In Hollywood [L.A Clippers]

The Interlude

2009–10 Los Angeles Clippers Season

On May 19, 2009 the Los Angeles Clippers were awarded the first overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft. The Clippers had a 17.7% chance of being awarded the first pick. With the 1st selection in the draft, they selected forward Blake Griffin from Oklahoma. To open up a spot in the starting lineup for Griffin, Los Angeles traded Zach Randolph to Memphis for Quentin Richardson on July 1. Richardson was then traded on July 20 to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Sebastian Telfair, Craig Smith, and Mark Madsen.

Although Griffin immediately impressed in training camp and the preseason, his rookie season was short-lived. On October 23, he broke his kneecap during the Clippers' final exhibition game against New Orleans, most likely after a dunk that left him wincing in pain. Initially, the Clippers' stated that Griffin only had a sore left knee which would make him questionable for the season opener the following Tuesday night before revealing the break. The injury ultimately sidelined Griffin for the entire season.

On February 4, 2010, head coach Mike Dunleavy resigned his position as head coach, and Kim Hughes was named interim coach. Dunleavy retained his front-office title and duties for just over a month, but on March 10, 2010 he was fired as General Manager of the Clippers, being replaced by Neil Oshley. Dunleavy received the news of his dismissal from the internet, as well as friends and reporters calling his cell phone. The Los Angeles Times reported on April 20, 2010 that Dunleavy has filed for arbitration and that the Clippers have cut off his salary, even though his guaranteed contract does not end until after the 2010-2011 season. Although the Clippers did see some minor improvement, finishing with ten more wins at 29-53, Hughes was fired as head coach at the end of the season.

2010–11 Los Angeles Clippers Off-Season

On July 6, 2010, multiple sources close to the team confirmed that Vinny Del Negro will become the Clippers' next head coach.

On August 16th, the team introduced new uniform designs at a photo shoot, at the team's practice facility. Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan modeled the new uniforms, which were re-designed for the first time since the 2000–01 season. The Clippers' primary and secondary logos, which are modifications of the previous ones, were introduced to the public weeks earlier, on the night of the 2010 NBA Draft. The remodeling of the team uniform was the one of the very first steps towards a new direction for the team.

On, August 21st, 2010, following some heavy rumors regarding the Clippers’ next GM position, it was finally announced later that afternoon, that the Clippers had reached a multi-year contract agreement with former NBA All-Star and Legend, as well as, NBA TNT Commentator, Charles Barkley. Nicknamed as "Sir Charles" and "The Round Mound of Rebound”, Barkley established himself as one of the National Basketball Association's (NBA's) most dominating power forwards. He was later on recognized as one of the best broadcaster and most compelling color commentator in television today. The former Most Valuable Player had expressed on numerous occasions that he would love to become the General Manager of a professional Basketball team. The owner and president of the team, Donald Sterling had reached out to the former All-Star, deciding that it was best to give the position to a man that knew more about the game and whom had felt it hands on.

On August 23rd, 2010, Charles Barkley made his first media appearance as the new General Manager of the Los Angeles Clippers and here is what the former All-Star MVP had to say. “First and foremost, I’d like to thank Donald Sterling and the Los Angeles Clippers for granting me this opportunity. Becoming a General Manager of a basketball team in this league is something that I’ve always wanted to accomplish. I believe that as a former NBA Player, and as one who knows the game pretty well, I can help a team get where they’d like to go, or at least try my best to do so. At first, I felt like I wasn’t ready to take that step, but after dwelling on the possibility, I just couldn’t pass it up. The Clippers have a lot of great players in their roster, it’s a great organization, and I believe that we have a lot of great talents surrounding our team – especially now that we have a healthy Blake Griffin back on the court to give Chris Kaman a lot of help in the paint – and of course we got an extremely talented scorer in Eric Gordon and a great playmaker and veteran in Baron Davis. I think that we are in a great position right now, we can only flourish as of now, and try our best to wins some games and get into the playoffs. You all know my background, I’m a fighter, and I hope to turn this team into fighters as well hopefully contenders.” With that said, the press conference came to an end with multiple comments expressed by the president of the organization, and new coach in Vinny Del Nigro whom had a few interesting words to say as well. “I’m really looking forward to this year’s season. I have a great feeling for our team, and I can definitely tell you that we’re heading towards the right direction – especially with a returning Blake Griffin to our roster. Not that I’m going to sleep on Chris Kaman, Davis, or the rest of the team for that matter. It’s just that knowing that it’s enthralling thinking about the possibility of having to coach two great players that could work in the post, and by that I’m referring to Blake and Chris. With an emerging scorer in Eric, and a great leader and playmaker in Baron, I can only begin to imagine how great this team could truly be. It has a lot of potential, and this year we look to execute, live up to our own high expectations of ourselves.”

The conference was held with professionalism up until Charles re-took the spotlight away from the new head coach of the team. “Yes, that is very true, so you better believe that the Lakers will not be the only team running the show here in this city. I tell you, the Clippers are the new sheriff in town, this city ain’t big enough for both of us, and I and the organization will make sure, that we give the humble Clippers fan a great season.” Laughter and light cheers were heard buzzing around the room right after that statement to end the press conference.

This year, both Vinny Del Nigro and Charles Barkley are faced with the task of transforming the previously low seeded Clippers into playoff contenders, and hopefully even, championship contenders. With a great playmaker in Baron Davis, a great all around scorer in Eric Gordon, an all star center in Chris Kaman and a potential rookie of the year and possible future all star power forward in Blake Griffin, the future is certainly bright for this young and hungry Clippers – as of now, only time will tell, but their progression and hopeful growth will surely be a fun thing to watch as their road to a dynasty begins.

Last edited by Mr.Tonji; 10-21-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Rookie

Los Angeles Clippers Depth Chart - 2010-11
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGBaron Davis (C)Eric Bledsoe
SGEric Gordon Randy Foye
SFRasual ButlerRyan GomesAl-Farouq Aminu
PFBlake GriffinCraig SmithBrian Cook
CChris Kaman (C) DeAndre JordanJarron Collins

HEAD COACH
Vinny Del Negro (College - North Carolina State)

ASSISTANT COACH(ES)
Marc Iavaroni (College - Virginia)
Dean Demopoulos (College - West Chester)
Robert Pack (College - USC)

ASSISTANT COACH FOR PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
Dave Severns (College - Cal State - Chico)
Howard Eisley (College - Boston College)

STRENGTH-AND-CONDITIONING COACH
Richard Williams (College - Tabor)

ATHLETIC TRAINER
Jasen Powell (College - Cal Poly Pomona)

ASSISTANT TRAINER
Johan Wang (College - UC Davis)

C – Captain
** - Unsigned Draft Pick
(FA) - Free Agent

Last edited by Mr.Tonji; 10-21-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Rookie

Los Angeles Clippers Stats - 2010-11
Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
Rookie

Clippers' latest revival plan hinges on Davis, not youth
By Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA[.]com

There is a rare uncertainty in Baron Davis' tone, an uncommon doubt that appears in the words and demeanor of a player who has never been short on emotional energy, a player with a swagger that is practically tangible, a player who has always embraced standing at the center of drama.

He knows his production at point guard will be the difference between the Clippers reaching the success within reach or stacking another disappointing season on the pile.

"Absolutely," Davis agreed. On that there is no doubt.

But then he is asked about his confidence on being able to deliver.

"We'll see."

Huh?

"So, sort of confident?"

"We'll see," Davis repeated.

"I'm sensing hesitation."

"Probably. You should."

"Where does the hesitation come from?"

"There's no reason to talk about it," Davis said. "We'll see. We'll see."

This is the linchpin to the hopes of the 2010-11 Clippers?

This is the point guard who will orchestrate an offense full of potential while all others, even in their own Lakers-loving city, ready with the familiar claim of same 'ol Clippers?

This is him. And this is not good.

Or is it?

"He and I have known each other for 15 years," said Neil Olshey, the new vice president of basketball operations. "Baron likes the idea of the mystery and the underdog and coming from behind and everyone counting us out. I think it was really important last year for the marketplace that Baron really had to talk a big game for us about leading us back to the playoffs. Right now, I think the fact that he's underselling it shows that he has actually more confidence in the roster than he did last year, when he was probably more of a vocal advocate of what he was trying to do."

So it is not necessarily a supremely self-assured man showing doubt, a stage veteran comfortable in the spotlight ducking responsibility. It is, though, a different Davis at a critical juncture, as if his words and actions wouldn't be under enough scrutiny anyway.

The outcome will be the funnel for everyone's credibility, that's all. Certainly his own, after returning to his hometown in 2008 and failing to transfer the emotional and playmaking burst of the sometimes-magical Warriors run. And Mike Dunleavy, the coach and general manager at the time who signed Davis to the five-year, $65-million contract that makes Davis virtually untradeable (though in Dunleavy's defense he saw a future of Baron and Elton Brand before negotiations with Brand collapsed).

More recently, it became about the new coach, Vinny Del Negro, and the new personnel boss, Olshey, neither of whom will face blame if Davis proves incapable of rising to meet the moment. There they were on Sept. 27, telling Davis in a private meeting they were going to reveal he was out of shape for the start of camp. The new faces of basketball operations wanted to give Davis the professional courtesy rather than have him hear about it from a reporter, but they were not going to cover for him. If someone began asking questions about why the starting point guard was sitting out drills the opening practices of the season, the Clippers weren't taking the time to concoct a cover story.

"He was right," Davis said of the comment within the comment by Del Negro. "He was right and there's nothing I could say. Just work hard and try to have the best season of my career."

This is how they will move forward for the latest Clippers fresh start. Davis will be held accountable at new levels as part of a renewed emphasis on atmosphere after the poor locker-room chemistry of 2009-10, and he'll go along with it.

There is the obvious risk involved: they have no one to take over if Davis plays poorly and the hierarchy tries to hold him accountable then, too. Eric Bledsoe is an intriguing rookie, a point guard overlooked by fans because he played at Kentucky and the Wildcats had a guy named John Wall at the position. But Bledsoe isn't close to threatening Davis' starting spot.

Davis is it. The Clippers have center Chris Kaman coming off an All-Star campaign, a shooting guard in Eric Gordon coming off an important role for victorious Team USA and a potential-laden power forward in Blake Griffin. But no one knows what to expect from the highest-paid player who will have the ball in his hands the most.
"We're going to go as Baron goes," Olshey conceded.
Said Del Negro: "Baron has a huge responsibility. He knows that, we know that. We have to continually make him accountable. He's been putting in a lot of great work. He's excited about the season. It's not a one-man team. It's a team. You need the whole group."
But can the Clippers truly have a good season, even with other success stories in the opening lineup, if Davis does not?

"Yes, we can win," Del Negro said. "We can't, probably, win as consistently."
They'll see, in other words.

The Showtime Clippers or that other L.A team?
By Tonji Spenza, Operationsports[.]com

It’s fair to say that this year all eyes will be focused on a few role players within the Los Angeles Clippers organization, and by role players, that include just about everyone who has an important role to this team. Last season, the eyes were on former all star point guard Baron Davis, to lead the Clippers to the playoff like he had done so with the Warriors when they took the Dallas Mavericks by storm and knocked the 67 and 15 first seed team out of the first round. Unfortunately, Baron didn’t quite live up to the expectations, misleading his team to a dead end, and the last place of their division.

But let’s take a second to be sincere, and fair. The Clippers losing season wasn’t all due to Davis’ performance. The team was faced with a lot of misfortunes fit to write a melodramatic Hollywood movie. First off, they lost their first round draft pick Blake Griffin due to an season ending injury, Mike Dunleavy eventually resigned his position as head coach, and their All-Star Center, Chris Kaman, eloquently expressed his opinions about the team’s direction, blasting the front office for trading away their defensive big man, Marcus Camby. Yes, a lot of drama that James Cameron would surely love to turn into a movie.

With all that said, this year the Clippers can only hope that history doesn’t repeat itself. So far, it’s right to say that it probably won’t, well, or at least doesn’t seem like it will.

The summer of 2010 saw the most shocking decisions made in Professional Sports today when Lebron James decided to take his talents to south beach, to play along Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade. To many surprise, the Clippers were amongst the team that tried to lure in one of the big three to their organization, sadly for the other L.A fans, they came short of accomplishing just that.

However, they were enthralled yet shocked, to find out that a former Most Valuable Player of the league, had decided to take his talents – management talents that is – to Hollywood where Lakers play, where dwells the best entertainers in the whole wide world…and oh yeah, where those darn Clippers play as well. Sir Charles, that’s the name that we, as basketball fans, bestowed upon him, had decided to take his management skills to the team that apparently, made him an offer that he simply couldn’t refuse, thus, accepting the role of becoming the new General Manager of the Los Angeles Clippers.

So, the key to the Clippers’ possible success lies in the hand of key players such as Charles Barkley, yes his Sir-ness himself, the new head coach of the team, Vinny Del Nigro, and a few players by the name of Baron Davis, Chris Kaman and the former number one pick of the draft, Blake Griffin. When Charles was asked rather or not he’s confident the Clippers are going to make the playoffs, this was what he had to say;

“I’m not bright enough to predict the future. Only God knows what lies ahead. I’m no god.” He said jokingly. But that wasn’t the question that was asked, oh sir Charles. “But if you’re asking me if I believe in my team, then yes. I believe that we could make the playoffs, we have the talent, now we just need to play as a team, and try our best to win.”

Well answered Charles, now could you say that you will be able to deliver for this team, in time of needs, and help them make the playoffs.

“Of course, look I’m not afraid of failing. I’ve always been expressive about that, I can take a lost but I surely don’t embrace it. This is going to be a tough challenge, but I like to believe that I’ll be able to pull through for this team, and make them a better team that they were last year.” Alright, that’s the type of motivation that you like to hear from your General Manager.

However, one would think that the same motivation would be displayed by the players who will after all, put the work on the court, but that wasn’t the case – especially when Davis was asked about his opinion to deliver. Now when Charles was asked about Davis here is what the former All Star had to say;

“Yes, I do believe that Baron will have a big impact on our team, and I see why many think that the weight of team lies on his shoulders. But you got to understand that this is not a one man team, this is a team of fifteen players, everyone has a certain responsibility, and Davis knows that. I’m confident that he’ll be the same player when he played for the Hornets and for the Warriors; he’s a great player and knows what he has to do to get this team where it wants to go.” Well said, at least this Clipper is confident about his team.

Many are speculating that the weight of the team lies on Blake Griffin, solely due to the fact that he was drafted as the number one pick of the L.A Clippers – in other words, the new face of the franchise.

“Yes, we understand that Blake is faced with a lot of responsibilities, and all eyes are probably on him. I expect him to play like the player that he is. A kid like him won’t back down from the challenge, and I can see that. He’s a big part of this team, and the direction that we’re trying to take it – for now, I can tell you that he’ll take it one game at a time. Ignore the hype and just play ball.” said Barkley once again acknowledging the expectations that are put on his team.

The Clippers have always been a team that had their little fifteen minutes of fame only to fall short on their next attempt to make a big name for themselves. There have been too many turnovers for the Clippers, and they have endured a lot of losses within their twenty years in this league. Making the playoffs only once in this decade. For some odd reason they have always been surrounded with some great players; looking at their past one would agree with that statement.

Leaving us fans, and followers buzzing around, and wondering thoroughly if this Los Angeles Clippers will finally mirror their twin brother, and give the fans a little showtime and flavor to their game, or will this year be yet another melodramatic season for this other L.A team, thus meaning falling short from the playoffs?

Only time could tell, but for now, the good famous quote from a certain movie comes to mind when we think about this year’s season, and the possible negative, or positive outcome of this franchise ‘fasten your seatbelts, it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.’

Last edited by Mr.Tonji; 10-21-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

lovin it bro

My Mariners dynasty!
XBL Gamertag- xLMJx21
Old 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Rookie

Thank you homes updated the season preview, up next, an overall around the league preview, and hopefully the first game of the season.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 13

This is some nice stuff, real nice, loving Barkley over there in Clippers, always loved that team :] So I'm looking forward to you making them championship contenders but I'm not sure if they'll make it to the playoffs, hopefully you can prove me wrong? Graphics are good, description is good, dynasty sounds good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »