Home

CLAWING && CLIMBING - A TORONTO RAPTORS FRANCHISE

This is a discussion on CLAWING && CLIMBING - A TORONTO RAPTORS FRANCHISE within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 13
Re: CLAWING && CLIMBING - A TORONTO RAPTORS FRANCHISE

THE OCTOBER NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION NEWSLETTER

Players of the Week (Oct 26-30): The first player of the weeks were revealed in the National Basketball Association. On the west side of things, it was an obvious choice with Carmelo Anthony taking away the temporary crown. He debuted the season with a stunning 36 points in a victory against the Utah Jazz but to those who believe it was nothing but the results of hogging, they must realize he also had 3 assists and garnered 11 rebounds for the double double. His second game, he did even better, scoring the season high 46 points and recording 10 rebounds, adding to that, 2 steals and 2 blocks. The next game, he almost broke his career high but fell one point short, getting 49 points and breaking the season high he made a game ago, this time adding 9 rebounds to his totals. Close behind him were Kobe Bryant, Monta Ellis and Brandon Roy who are all average at least 30 points and five assists per game. On the east side of things, it was once more an obvious choice, yet a surprising one at that. Raptors’s starting shooting guard stepped up to the plate, Demar Derozan. He recorded a career high 34 points on his first game along with a 2 steals and 4 blocks, a game later, he stepped it up and recorded another career high 44 points. Behind him are Dwayne Wade, and Joe Johnson although they were far from taking the Raptor’s crown.

Signings: The Utah Jazz signed Flip Murray to a one year, 1.51 million dollar contract, giving him the role of a bench warmer. Flip has already demanded his role to be upgraded so that he’s at least looked at as a role player, and he has reason to complain, averaging a career 10 points and bringing in at least 2 rebounds and 2 assists every game. Larry Hughes was also signed by the Phoenix Suns, unlike Flip, he’ll be playing a more important role as the teams sixth man. He was signed to a one year 2.28 million dollar contract and is currently average 15.5 points per game and 2.5 steals after his first two games with the team. He’s been shown to be happy with his new team so no complaints have been heard from him.

Rookie Report: Evan Turner is leading the rookies in points per game with 15, followed by 14.7 from Wesley Johnson and both John Wall and Solomon Alabi with 13.5 points per game. Al-Farouq Aminu is upstaging his teammate in the rebounding department with 12.3 while Blake Griffin simply holds 9.7. Right behind the two Clippers is Damion James with 9. In the assists region, John Wall is dominating to no surprise with 7 assists per game. Far away is Evan Turner with 3.3 assists per game and a surprising Solomon Alabi with 2 assists per game.

NBA Drama: Over in New York City, Wilson Chandler is coming up an expiring contract. The Knicks have pressured him to resign with team before the off-season but Wilson has seemingly been weighting in his options. This is a good chance for teams like Toronto and Cleveland to get the possible star on their team. In Sacramento, the Kings have considered trading away Beno Udrih and Lakers have shown interest. It is no surprise that the Los Angeles Lakers are going to need to start searching for a point guard soon with Fisher nearing retirement and Udrih has shown capability at the position. However, should Beno come to the Lakers, chances are it’ll be for Steve Blake. At Portland, Marcus Camby has publicly stated - “I love Portland to be honest! It’s a great city. I don’t want to leave. If I can stay in Portland I’ll stay. In the end it’s not my decision though, I don’t think it’d make much sense for me to stay in a team that doesn’t want me. When it all comes down to it, I’m in this league because of the game, I’ll play for any team that would want me and that would appreciate me!” Unfortunately for the center, they have already declared he’s available for trades and many teams have shown interests in him. Over in Toronto, two friends seem to be sharing completely different fates. While Demar Derozan has earned far more playing time and has shone in the process, his good friend, Sonny Weems, hasn’t. The shooting guard is playing about four minutes, average one point and the new General Manager, Jake Hunter doesn’t seem to be looking to change it. He commented - “Why will I change something that’s not broken. People call us the worsts team in the league, but if Demar continues that all-star playing he’s been doing as of late, then I don’t think that’ll be our name anymore. Nothing against Weems, but we don’t really need him in Toronto. If a trade comes up, I’ll be more then willing to let him go somewhere where he can get playing time. That goes for Amir Johnson too, we’re willing to get rid of that dead weight contract he has!” Jake certainly doesn’t hide anything he has to say.

Injury Report: There have been many injuries across the league but we’ll simply be highlighting the more severe ones that have caused people to be out. Brandon Wright has a sore ankle only lasting day-to-day but he will still be unable to play. Danillo Gallinari is finding a sad start to his season as he is gone for 4 to 6 weeks after breaking his wrist from a foul by Toronto’s own Reggie Evans. Rudy Fernandez of the Portland Trail Blazers has suffered a Broken Ankle and will be out for 6 to 8 weeks. Finally, Chris Kaman will be gone for the same amount of time as Rudy with a Broken Jaw. But this could definitely mean some playing time for rookie Blake Griffin.

Prospect Look-Out: This week on the prospects look-out, we’ll be holding an overview of the top three prospects in each position. In the week before the Playoffs, we’ll be doing the same to see what has changed and what has stayed.
Point Guards: The best point guard in the draft and also one to be in the top five is Kyrie Irving. The prospect from Duke has many teams scouting for him such as the Raptors, the Lakers (although doubtful that they’ll get him), and the Timberwolves. He is being compared to Utah’s Deron Williams and is graded with an A coming into the season. After him is Brandon Knight who is set to go in the Lottery. He’s also coming in with an A grade and has the honor of being compared to legendary and veteran point guard; Jason Kidd. He’ll be sure to make Kentucky proud and make an impact with the league. Finally there is Kemba Walker from Connecticut. His comparison isn’t as great as the top two in Kyle Lowry but he’s got talent nonetheless. There are a few other prospects to watch with Shelvin Mack, Maalik Wayns, Demetri McCamey, who could possibly be drafted to the first round.

Shooting Guards: The number one shooting guard in the draft and generally number one player going into it is Jonathan Tshinanu from Michigan. The shooting guard comes in being compared to Kobe Bryant, unfortunately that might be too high of expectations when considering his lack of strong defensive presence. After him we have Josh Shelby, the shooting guard from Kansas. He’s received great praise for his tremendous shooting and has been compared to 3 point shooter, Ray Allen. Then you have Travis Leslie from Georgia. The short shooting guard is a dark horse in the draft and has gotten comparisons to Roger Mason for his average abilities. Other shooting guards to watch are Shawn Khalifa, Lacedarius Dunn and Alec Burks.

Small Forwards: The number one small forward in the draft is Jaden Mutonji being overrated in this competition and compared to LeBron James. The small forward comes from Illinois and brings a jack of all trades playing style to the NBA. Another top small forward and surprisingly underrated is Perry Jones. The small forward is seen personally by most top coaches as the best in the draft but by the scouts, he is seen as more of a fourth and fifth round pick. The prospect from Baylor is receiving comparisons to the Grizzlies’s Rudy Gay. Then there is Harrison Barnes of North Carolina who’s seen as a work in progress. The Small forward is definitely the best offensive small forward of the draft but not so great in the other departments, he’s been compared to Rudy Gay as well. Other notable small forwards are Terrence Jones, Tyler Honeycutt and Kris Joseph.

Power Forwards: Projected as the fifth pick comes Jared Sullinger who brings great defense and rebounding skills to the NBA with some decent offense as well. The Ohio State power forward has been compared to Josh Smith and this is definitely a great comparison to give for Jared. Derrick Williams is another great defender coming into the draft. He hails from Arizona and has received comparisons to great rebounder; Kevin Love. Finally there is also Donatas Motiejunas, the tall power forward standing at 7 foot comes from Lithuania and can rebound greatly as well as play the offensive game. His defense will need some work but playing with shorter guys might help him out. He’s received comparisons to Bobcat’s Tyrus Thomas and much like all the European big man, can shoot the ball. Other notable power forwards have been seen such as CJ Leslie, Jonas Valanciunas, Jan Vesely, Marcus Morris and Trey Thompkins.

Centers: The big man position doesn’t have anyone over 10th pick unfortunately. Projected eleventh is Enes Kanter who can grab the rebounds well and brings a decent defense however is offensive game will definitely need to improve if he wants to make an impact in the NBA. He’s been compared to the Jazz’s Al Jefferson. Next up is Ethan Hart from Boston College. The center has been compared to Andrew Bynum although a better comparison could easily be seen in Ben Wallace who was a great defending and rebounding big man. Finally there is Dalton Henry, the big man much like Ethan, can defend and rebound rather greatly but his offense needs work. He is being compared to Marc Gasol but once more, we believe Shaquille O’Neal could be a better comparison of course bar the offense. He is another man coming in from Ohio State much like Jared Sullinger. Hopefully he can do better than Gred Oden. There are no other center in the top 30 picks.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Rookie

VICTORY IN THE FIRST OF FOUR!
@

Nov 1, 2010 - TOR at SAC
TEAM1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Toronto Raptors (1-1)2825302396
Sacramento Kings (2-1)2423271993
Toronto Raptors
TOP THREEMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Demar DeRozan356-110-07-86201419
Jose Calderon304-62-38-82200518
Andrea Bargnani346-161-24-411002317
Sacramento Kings
Tyreke Evans4011-241-16-96340429
Francisco Garcia354-61-43-52222112
Jason Thompson274-70-02-44111110

IT WAS OVER BY THE FIRST!

@

Nov 3, 2010 - TOR at UTA
TEAM1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Toronto Raptors (2-1)1425321990
Utah Jazz (2-1)41242626117
Toronto Raptors
Demar DeRozan349-240-02-24101120
Leandro Barbosa264-133-66-104210217
Andrea Bargnani334-120-47-812004215
Utah Jazz
Deron Williams307-114-68-103700026
Al Jefferson346-90-07-1110105119
Andrei Kirlenko356-101-34-414331117
Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
Rookie

UPSET IN CALI!
Toronto Raptors flew into Los Angeles knowing that the chances of coming out with the victory was slim to none. Their opponents happened to be the defending champions who came into this season undefeated with five victories. However, DeRozan came into the game showing that undefeated or not, they weren’t going down without a fight. Of course, he wasn’t being matched with Kobe Bryant today as the Raptors decided to shake up their line-up, taking Evans and Kleiza out and replacing them with Alabi and Barbosa. After his first dunk earlier on in the match-up, DeRozan went cold and missed two consecutive three’s. Fortunately for him, the rest of the team were able to keep it together with some good playing on both sides of the court. Weems was also given time in the court and attempted to show his talent but missed most of his attempted field goals. On the Lakers side of things, simply nothing would go in. It was a matter of the ball bouncing off the rim and always missing. Furthermore, the numerous turnovers by the team didn’t help them either. Another factor that played into the Lakers bad game was the fact that Raptors constantly kept things fresh. By the end of the first quarter just about 10 of the 12 players had been in the game. Unfortunately, things could only be kept solid for so long. The Lakers seemed to adjust to the Raptors near the first and Bynum, Brown, Odom all stepped it up a notch to go from 23 and 15 to 25 to 23 and should Odom have beaten the buzzer, they could’ve seen themselves winning by one. The scoring was spread among both teams with Andrew Bynum and Jerryd Bayless leading the way for their respective teams.

Early in the second quarter, Lakers were able to come back with the lead, yet, the game was still as tight as ever and there was no clear leader. The Raptors unfortunately missed most of their three pointers attempts and didn’t convert on all of Los Angeles’s turnovers. Near the half of the second, Ed Davis was able to get his first ever double digit game as he locked in 10 points. That shot also happened to be the one that allowed the team to retain the lead. Once Weems came in, they finally cut in deep into the lead, the underrated star by Jake Hunter went on to bring the lead up by ten as he easily penetrated the Lakers defense before the Lakers were finally able to stop the run. Triano, awfully pleased with Weems showing even allowed him to get the final shot of the second quarter in which he unceremoniously missed. Despite that, he ended the second quarter as the top scorer for the Raptors with 16 points in front of Ed Davis’s and Jerryd Bayless’s 10 points. On the home town’s side of things, Brown led the charge with 11 as the only player to have a double digit score. However, Both Gasol and Kobe neared double doubles. The two top players of the game going into the second half were the two Spaniards, Jose Calderon and Pau Gasol.

The third quarter started with a bang as Barbosa busted a three to continue breaking into the lead. The Raptors’s star player, Demar DeRozan found himself locked down by one the NBA’s top defenders; Kobe Bryant. Bargnani finally shot his first three pointer to bring the lead up by ten points again, giving Calderon his tenth assists in the game. Meanwhile Kobe continued struggling with his shots and Demar continued seeing some tough defense. When it wasn’t Kobe, it was Artest. They would not allow the sophmore to get hot. Demar was visibly getting frustrated and called for an isomotion, driving in and dunking on both Artests and Gasol simultaneously. Awkwardly falling but after a check-up by the ref, it was clear that he wasn’t injured or anything. The Black Mamba slowly started to get hotter, finally getting into some double digit scoring. The crowed immediately sored after the miraculous lay-up and Raptors immediately sought to shut them up. Unfortunately, Demar failed after two consecutive missed threes. Turnovers slowly started to plague the Raptors as well but much like the Raptors did earlier, the Lakers were unable to convert on them. The third quarter took an end and Raptors held on to the lead as Raptors had 79 against Lakers’s 70. Kobe who had 6 points in the first quarter ended up with 17 by the end of the third. For Toronto, their scoreboard was continuously spread with 5 players holding a double digit score. Almost everyone had gotten a point besides Evans and bench warmer; Julian Wright who had yet to enter the game.

The fourth started and the Phil Jackson decided to go with a full court press defense. It had worked and the red team gave away a turnover on the inbound only for Solomon to learn from his mistake and block an attempted dunk by Shannon Brown. Calderon was able to reach a double double, clinching ten points and ten assists and 4 rebounds away from a triple double. Early in the fourth, Pau Gasol found himself fouled out, worsening Lakers chances of coming back into this one. The story of the first part of the fourth was Lakers constantly fouling DeRozan and him constantly getting his free throw shots. Near the end, it was all about Kobe trying to take over but despite his numerous points, they just couldn’t seem to come back. The Raptors carried around a 21 point lead but near the end of the game decided to lay back and Lakers went for nine unanswered and the lead was shortened to 12 points, nonetheless. The Raptors had done the impossible, they had defeated the champions, they had ended their streak and pulled out the biggest upset in the NBA. The Player of the game was Jose Calderon for his near triple double as he collected 3 steals, 11 assists, 7 rebounds and 10 points. Bargnani and Davis also reached a double double while Weems reached his season high and Derozan collected 23 points. Over at Lakers, Kobe had 27 points, Brown had 17, Odom had a double double 12 and 13 while Gasol also had a double double 10 and 11. Calderon had a few words to speak on the game - “It was intense to be honest. In the fourth quarter we had a ten point lead and I was thinking to myself, double double... double double, Triano made the plays and I made the shots. I wanted to go for those 3 rebounds but coach wanted to give Wright his playing time. Still, great game, but we can’t celebrate just yet, we’ve got a tough road ahead and this is just the first of many big challenges this season. I’m sure when Kobe, Gasol and the rest of the Lakers come to Toronto later in the season, they’ll be looking for revenge.” Kobe was also available to comment on the game and he was obviously disappointed. “I don’t know what happened, I wasn’t hot, I missed most of my shots and when I started getting them in it was too late. I gotta’ give it up for Shannon though, he did his best to keep us in the game but this is a team thing, he couldn’t do it all on his own and that’s why we lost. You had Bynum who’s still getting used to the NBA again, Gasol was in foul trouble. Blake was simply shooting way too much. Artest was missing his shots much like me and for some reason Fisher isn’t getting much playing time. I’ll have to talk to Phil about that.” There you have it.
Nov 5, 2010 - TOR at LAL
TEAM1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Toronto Raptors (2-2)25272732111
Los Angeles Lakers (5-0)2323242999
Toronto Raptors
STARTERSMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Jose Calderon323-90-24-471131510
Leandro Barbosa243-51-32-2421009
Demar DeRozan317-170-69-106210223
Solomon Alabi222-40-01-1212215
Andrea Bargnani343-91-63-310211110
BENCHMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS