Home

The NBA Career of Brian Happel

This is a discussion on The NBA Career of Brian Happel within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: The NBA Career of Brian Happel

Good article. I was wondering, is there any way to coax players out of retirement at the end of the season? or is it where if they announce it during the year, it's a done deal they're retiring and there's nothing you can do?
Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #50
Pro

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichettehappens
Good article. I was wondering, is there any way to coax players out of retirement at the end of the season? or is it where if they announce it during the year, it's a done deal they're retiring and there's nothing you can do?
That's a good question... In My Player, there's nothing I can do to prevent any other player from retiring. I don't know if that's the case in Association mode. I did check and saw that Nash has another year left on his contract as a Team Option.. so maybe if they pick it up, he'll return? They don't give you a list of who actually retires at the end of each season (they do in MLB The Show, which is nice to keep track of). So, I'll keep my eye out to see if he's still in the league next year!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #51
Pro

JANUARY 12, 2013

SMALL FORWARDS PAYING "BIG" DIVIDENDS
By Joe Smith
NBA.com

Two of the best small forwards in the game are about to square off in Oklahoma City. Kevin Durant and Brian Happel are taking smaller market teams and turning them into big-time marketing possibilities. Orlando was already on the map when Happel got there 2+ seasons ago. But what Durant has done for the Thunder, especially after moving from Seattle, is nothing short of amazing. Oklahoma City... a basketball town? That's football country. At least, it was. So, that got me thinking (scary thought for all you hoops fans, I'm sure). Who are the biggest contributors among small forwards in the NBA today?

Paul Pierce Stats
PlayerGPMINPPGRPGAPGTOPGFG%3PT%FT%
Career108536.521.65.93.32.8.445.374.809

Paul Pierce did not make the list of my top five. But, he HAS to at least be mentioned. He is still among the elite at this position, despite his 35-year-old legs. He has been the face of the Boston franchise his entire 15 year career. And, his numbers aren't too bad, either. There's been a definite decline, mind you. But, a large part of that is due to the fact that since 2008, he's been a part of the "Big 3" - and then the "Big 4" when Rajon Rondo started to become a star. He doesn't need to score as much, so he doesn't. But, 21.6 points per game over his career is pretty good, as is the more than 23,000 points he's scored over the course of his entire career. Now, here are my top 5 "Big Time" small fowards:

5. RUDY GAY, MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

It took a year for Rudy Gay to adapt to the 82 game season in the NBA, but once he did, he took off. Gay went from averaging 10.8 points per game his rookie year to 20.1 points his second season, and he's been pretty consistent ever since. For his career, he's averaging 18.3 points per game and 6.2 rebounds per game, both respectable numbers. The fact that he's stayed in Memphis his whole career, now into his 7th season, helps in terms of his importance attached to the Grizzlies. There has also been a sharp rise over the last couple of seasons as Memphis relies on Gay more and more as the team leader. He's up to 24 points per game now and 8.5 rebounds per contest. His defense is also much improved, as he is among the leaders in thefts at this position.

4. CARMELO ANTHONY, NEW YORK KNICKS

It's impossible to keep Carmelo Anthony of this list. He is one of the best pure scorers in the game, as evidenced by his 24.3 points per game for his career. He came out of Syracuse his rookie season and was able to put the ball in the hoop right away, and it's never really slowed down. "Melo" wasn't able to win a championship in Denver, but his move to the Knicks certainly gives a jolt to his marketability in this league. His defense is his one weak point, and there really aren't any signs of that improving any time soon. But, he has been working on other aspects of his game, significantly raising his rebounds from around 6.5 a game up to 8.1 per game this season. He's also cut way back on his turnovers, from 3.3 a contest down to 2.2. Taking care of the basketball is leading to more opportunities, both for him and his teammates.

3. BRIAN HAPPEL, ORLANDO MAGIC

Orlando swingman Brian Happel has certainly worked some "magic" over his short career in the NBA. At the ripe old age of 22, he's already won an NBA Championship, been named NBA Finals MVP and won the regular season MVP. In his third season out of Syracuse (I know, 2 S.U. guys on this list, something must be wrong with this picture), Happel is already averaging 28 points per game. He's a double-double machine, averaging 12.8 rebounds for his career so far. He's always been able to shoot the ball, though a lot of that has to do with his ability to get to the rim. His outside shot is solid, to the point where he's shooting nearly 50% from behind the arc this season. Happel is even finding his teammates more often. Despite averaging a ridiculous 38.6 points per game this year, he's also handing out 5 assists a game. His defense is also much improved, as he typically shuts down the other team's best player. The scary thing: he still has plenty of life in those legs and could be dominating for years to come.

2. KEVIN DURANT, OKLAHOMA CITY THUNDER

Kevin Durant is easily the best pure scorer in the game today, and he could hold that title as all-time best scorer by the time all is said and done. Durant puts the ball in the basket, it's as simple as that. He can shoot from outside, break you down with the dribble and get to the rim with his athleticism. He's averaging 27 points per game over his 6 year career, all with Oklahoma City. Once again, Portland Trail Blazers fans can only shake their heads, as the team passed up on Durant in the 2007 draft to pick Greg Oden. How's that working out so far? The thing about Durant is he's really working on other aspects of his game as well. His rebounding has improved tremendously. He was only averaging 4.3 boards a game his rookie year. Now, it's 10+. Like "Melo", "Durantula" is also cutting down on his turnovers, and that's only helping his team out, as the Thunder are off to a fantastic start this year.

1. LEBRON JAMES, MIAMI HEAT

Love him or hate him, it's hard not to put LeBron in the number one spot. He is so dominant in just about every aspect of the game. He's got speed, athleticism and power. He scores, rebounds, finds open teammates and plays solid defense. He couldn't do it in Cleveland, but after making "The Decision," to take his talents to South Beach, LeBron won that elusive NBA Championship. At the age of 28, he already has more than 20,400 points and has a legitimate shot to challenge Kareem's record, as long as he stays healthy. Whether he is as good as Michael Jordan, he is certainly as dominant a figure in the NBA today as Jordan was in his time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #52
Pro

HAPPEL TAKES SHOTS AT DURANT AHEAD OF BIG SUNDAY NIGHT SHOWDOWN

Oklahoma City, OK (AP) - Orlando forward Brian Happel may have given Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder some bulletin board material. While speaking to the media after the team's walk-through, Happel called Durant over-rated. "He's a great scorer, and that's fine. But what else can he do? He's bigger than me, he should be able to get rebounds - I still outrebound him. I can also outscore him. Everyone talks about what a pure scorer he is. I can score the ball just as well, but I also help make my teammates better."

Happel didn't stop there. He also went off on Durant and other NBA stars complaining about the referees too much. "And, I don't whine about not getting every single call. He's not alone either. A lot of stars cry and complain. Maybe you should stop worrying so much about the refs and control what you can - how you play the game. You're not going to get every call, nor should you. Get over it!"

Happel vs. Durant Stats - 2012-13
PlayerGPMINPPGRPGAPGTOPGFG%3PT%FT%
Brian Happel2741.938.613.65.12.0.688.461.949
Kevin Durant3938.626.510.21.32.5.504.333.934

The frustration has been boiling for Happel, as teams continue to gun for him and his Magic teammates. "You should hear some of the crap that comes out of their mouths on the court. It's sad, really, the jealousy that exists. Instead of talking so much, I let the scoreboard and my stat lines do the talking." Orlando has won 10 straight games coming in to Sunday night's matchup in Oklahoma City. The Thunder, meanwhile, have been struggling, playing .500 basketball over their last 10 games. Oklahoma City, and Durantula, certainly have some extra motivation. "I'm not sure what set him off, but he ought to take a look in the mirror. I'm crying and complaining? Sounds like what he's doing to me," said Durant after practice Saturday afternoon. Whatever the case may be, things are certainly heating up in the dead of winter!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #53
Pro

DURANT WINS BATTLE, HAPPEL AND MAGIC WIN THE WAR

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: Happel did his best to silence Durant and the Thunder all night

Oklahoma City, OK (AP) - Two of the best scorers in the league went at each other, and Kevin Durant came out on top. But, Magic forward Brian Happel finished on top in the more important category: the final score. Orlando picked up a hard fought road victory against a good Western Conference team, winning 90-82. There was some controversy going into the game between Happel and Durant, when Happel essentially called out Durant. He stood by his comments after the game, "Yeah, he outscored me, I'll give him that. But look at the scoreboard. Who won? That's right, the Magic won. Durant got his points, but he couldn't lead his team to victory, he couldn't make the plays down the stretch. We did. We won."

Marquee Matchup
PlayerStats
Kevin Durant45 points
19-34 FG
10 Reb.
BRIAN HAPPEL33 points,
13 Reb.,
4 Blk.,
3 Stl.

After the game, Durant was visibly frustrated, "Man, I don't know what to say. We should've won. He can keep running his mouth, but we really should have won that game. Don't worry though, I won't forget this." When asked if there was concern Happel may have lit a fire under the Thunder, Gilbert Arenas wasn't concerned, "It's all part of the game. He got in their heads. Sure, Durant got some points. But, he couldn't finish, and it's because Brian got in his head."

Happel denying Durant a close shot near the rim, one of 4 blocked shots on the night for Happel.

Orlando got started off the right foot, that's for sure. The Magic started the game with a 10-0 run, including 6 points from Happel. But, the Thunder fought back to within two to start the quarter. The Magic once again pulled away in the second quarter. A Happel jumper from the left wing at the 6:01 mark capped an 11-2 run, giving Orlando a double-digit lead. But once again, Oklahoma City climbed back into it. Jeff Green made a jump shot from the right baseline to tie the score up at 43 with 19 seconds left in the half, capping a 14-2 run for the Thunder. It was Oklahoma City starting the second half strong, jumping out to a 6 point lead. But then, Orlando turned things around and ended up leading by four to start the final quarter. It still remained a tight game, until the Thunder, including Durant, went cold in the last 3 minutes of the game. The Magic sealed it with four free-throws down the stretch, 2 by Gilbert Arenas and another 2 by Happel.

Happel and his Magic teammates had plenty to celebrate after pulling out a tough win on the road.

Happel led the way on offense for Orlando. The swingman scored 33 points and grabbed 13 rebounds. He was also a force on defense, blocking 4 shots and collecting 3 steals. However, he also struggled taking care of the basketball, committing 4 turnovers. Happel also missed all 4 of his three-point attemps, making him 0 for his last 9. Happel and Andray Blatche were the only ones that really shot the ball well, going a combined 23-40. Blatche was solid on the low block, dropping 23 points and pulling down 7 rebounds. The rest of the starters, Stephen Jackson, Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas, were a combined 11-41. "We struggled a little more than usual," admitted Howard in the post game press conference, "But we made enough shots to get the job done."

Happel vs Conferences Stats - Career
ConferenceGPMINPPGRPGAPGTOPGFG%3PT%FT%
Western Conference6741.629.411.94.22.1.628.479.932
Eastern Conference11340.927.513.43.72.2.606.447.923

One of the big problems with Durant and the Thunder in this game was the lack of support he had. Durant had a great game, scoring 45 points on 19-34 shooting, while pulling down 10 rebounds. Nobody else did much of anything else. Russell Westbrook had 8 assists, but just 12 points. Nobody else scored in double-figures. Oklahoma City really struggled shooting the basketball, connecting on just 38% of their shots. Orlando was no better, hitting on 39% from the field. The three-point shooting may have been the worst ever seen on an NBA court. Orlando missed all 15 of its shots from long range. The Thunder only made 2-14.

Happel enjoyed this dunk so much, he just couldn't let go (of the rim, that is!)

Neither team really protected the basketball well. Oklahoma City coughed it up 15 times, while Orlando gave up 11 turnovers. The Magic won the rebounding battle, cleaning the glass 53 times to just 44 for the Thunder. Orlando also forced Oklahoma City into a lot of tough shots, clogging up the middle thanks to 11 blocked shots. Orlando must now try to shake off the poor shooting and get ready for another rival coming to town. This time, the Magic will welcome the 18-20 Boston Celtics to the Amway Center. Orlando won both games by an average of 25 points, and Happel is averaging a whopping 55 points per game against the C's.

Jan 13, 2013 - ORL at OKC
TEAM1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Orlando Magic (31-6)1924242390
Oklahoma City Thunder (23-17)1726201982
Orlando Magic
STARTERSMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Gilbert Arenas354-110-22-24311310
Stephen Jackson404-180-60-0541118
Brian Happel4212-200-49-913134433
Andray Blatche3211-200-11-17131023
Dwight Howard363-120-01-2912307
BENCHMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
DeJuan Blair203-50-01-41301107
Marcin Gortat90-10-00-0100000
John Salmons70-10-10-0013000
Mack Bledsoe50-00-00-0010010
Cory Coleman100-30-10-0000000
Wayne Washington70-40-00-0100020
Ryan Anderson31-10-00-0011002
TEAM TOTALS38-960-1514-18531315111190
Oklahoma City Thunder
R. Westbrook414-110-04-57840412
J. Harden363-131-40-0501027
K. Durant4019-341-76-710201245
J. Green363-80-10-0401126
C. Aldrich130-10-00-0501000
C. Schneider292-50-00-0401224
M. Conley171-90-00-0141022
S. Ibaka111-10-00-0401002
B. Warner81-40-00-0100002
D. Cook70-30-20-0100000
E. Maynor41-20-00-0100012
T. Sefolosha30-00-00-0100000
TEAM TOTALS35-912-1410-1244141041582

AROUND THE NBA 1-13-13

Portland, OR (AP) - Washington pulls even to .500 after beating the Trail Blazers 88-76 on the road. The Wizards pulled ahead in the third quarter and never looked back, outrebounding Portland 50-35, while holding the Trail Blazers to 40% shooting. Washington's Javale McGee had a huge game down low, scoring 17 points and grabbing 19 rebounds. Brandon Roy was Portland's lead scorer with just 13 points.

Jan 13, 2013 - WAS at POR
TEAM1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Washington Wizards (20-20)2420212388
Portland Trail Blazers (21-19)2417132276

>">
GAME HIGHSSTATGAME HIGHSSTAT
Rebounds: J. McGee19Rebounds: G. Oden10
Assists: R. Lewis3Assists: B. Roy4

Denver, CO (AP) - Miami keeps pace with Orlando thanks to an easy 25 point victory on the road against Denver. LeBron James led the way with 35 points, including 4-7 from long distance. Dwayne Wade added 27 points and Chris Bosh scored 14 points and collected 8 rebounds in the victory. Miami was on fire all game, hitting on 52% from the field. Denver was a horrific 6-27 from three-point range. J.R. Smith was the top scorer for the Nuggets with 19 points. Carmelo Anthony added a double-double (13 points, 12 rebounds).

Jan 13, 2013 - MIA at DEN
TEAM1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Miami Heat (30-11)30192733109
Denver Nuggets (20-18)2121202284

>">
GAME HIGHSSTATGAME HIGHSSTAT
Rebounds: C. Nash/C. Bosh8Rebounds: C. Anthony12
Assists: M. Chalmers5Assists: T. Lawson7
Old 03-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #54
Pro

HAPPEL, CURRY PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

New York, NY (AP) - Another week, another award for both Orlando small forward Brian Happel and Golden State point guard Stephen Curry. Happel was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for the week of January 6-12. The Magic swingman led his team to a perfect 3-0 record last week with wins over New York, Atlanta and the Los Angeles Lakers.

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: Happel put on a show for the fans all week, flying through the air with the greatest of ease

"The award is certainly nice, and I give all the credit to my teammates," said Happel after practice yesterday when he found out he received the award for the third straight week, "It will certainly be a week to remember." Happel reached a milestone last week, scoring his 5,000th career point versus Atlanta. He was also mired in a bit of controversy, after speaking out about Kevin Durant and some other stars. For the week, Happel averaged 41.7 points, 15.7 rebounds and 5 assists per game.

It was also a good week for Stephen Curry, who was named Western Conference Player of the Week after leading his Warriors to victories over Miami and Sacramento, both at home. Curry averaged 24.5 points, 6.5 assists and 5.0 steals per game. He also shot 58% from the field for the week. It's the second time in three weeks Curry has received the honor.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #55
MVP

OVR: 16

good job with that small forward article
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #56
Pro

ORLANDO THUMPS BOSTON FOR 12TH STRAIGHT WIN

VIDEO HIGHLIGHTS: Happel got free for some rim-rocking dunks against Boston

Orlando, FL (AP) - The nets were on fire at the Amway Center for both teams, but Orlando shot just a little bit better en route to an easy 114-97 win over their rivals, the Boston Celtics. You knew it was going to be one of those games, when the Magic got out to a really hot start. Actually, it was their swingman that started off on fire, as Brian Happel scored the team's first 15 points. Boston managed to hang around, and was actually leading 14-11 early on. But, Orlando went on an 11-2 run, ultimately jumping out to a 9 point first quarter lead. The Magic remained hot in the second quarter, and ended up shooting a ridiculous 63% from the floor, including 6-10 from long range. That gave Orlando a 16 point halftime cushion, and the Celtics could not turn things around enough in the second half.

NBA League Leaders - Updated: Jan 15, 2013
Field Goal PercentageFG%Free Throw PercentageFT%
1. BRIAN HAPPEL.6831. Gordon Hayword.966
2. Carl Landry.5552. Paul George.963
3. Patrick Patterson.5503. Luke Babbitt.956
4. Derrick Rose.5474. BRIAN HAPPEL.954
5. Carlos Boozer.5445. Chauncey Billups.944

For his part, "The Captain" dominated on offense, especially in the first half. Happel scored 32 of his 43 points in that first half, connecting on 14-19 shots, including 3-5 from behind the arc. Happel also picked up 3 steals and grabbed 8 rebounds. He has absolutely destroyed the Celtics defense this season, and the rest of the NBA for that matter. After the game, Happel was bordering on cocky with his answer to what this team can do this season, "Keep getting me the ball, and we're gonna get a ring. I can put this team on my back, but they have to let me."

Happel vs. Celtics Stats - 2012-13
DateMINPTSREBASTSTLBLKFG%3PT%FT%
11/16 HOME41671501028-375-56-7
12/1 AWAY42441272119-324-82-2
1/15 HOME4043833019-304-101-1
AVERAGES41.051.311.73.32.00.3.667.565.900

Happel may not feel like he needs help, but his teammates certainly provided some. Dwight Howard notched a double-double with 20 points and 14 rebounds. Stephen Jackson also played the best game he's played in a while, scoring 15 points on 6-14 shooting, including 3-7 from long range. Andray Blatche was on fire on the low blocks, making 8-11 shots and scoring 17 points.

Happel started out on fire from three-point land, hitting 3 of his first 4

The Celtics played pretty well, also. Five players scored in double-figures. Kevin Garnett led the way with 19 points. He also grabbed 10 boards. Ray Allen scored 17 points on 7-14 shooting. Rajon Rondo and Glen "Big Baby" Davis also contributed with double-doubles, with Rondo scoring 13 and handing out 10 assists, while Davis scored 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Celtics captain Paul Pierce didn't take too kindly to Happel's words after the game. "I'm not sure what's going on with him, but he's just giving teams a bigger reason than ever before to gun for him and his teammates. As defending champs, teams are already going to give them their best. Winners let their game do the talking instead of their mouths."

Happel put on a show for the hometown crowd, adding some sizzle to this dunk

Post game fireworks aside, both teams shot the ball well. Boston connected on 50% of its shots, while the Magic made 54%. Three-point shooting percentages weren't dramatically different, but Orlando took a lot more - 22 compared to just 7 for the Celtics. The Magic were able to get some easy breaks thanks to 13 Boston turnovers. The one real bright spot for the Celtics was the play of their bench. They outscored Orlando's bench by a 31-11 margin. Up next for the Magic: a home date with Utah on Thursday afternoon. They then travel to the "Windy City" to take on the Bulls on Saturday night.

Jan 15, 2013 - BOS at ORL
TEAM1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Boston Celtics (18-22)2425291997
Orlando Magic (32-6)33322227114
Boston Celtics
R. Rondo365-70-03-321000413
R. Allen337-141-22-35400217
P. Pierce365-130-13-34110313
K. Garnett389-160-01-210220119
D. Gooden122-20-00-0210004
G. Davis295-100-02-210110112
M. Christie192-70-10-0311004
G. Mobley112-50-00-0010014
B. Wallace111-10-00-0220002
A. Bradley73-52-31-1000019
H. Wolfe20-00-00-0000000
E. Kelley60-20-00-0011000
TEAM TOTALS41-823-712-143824601397
Orlando Magic
Gilbert Arenas334-120-30-0372128
Stephen Jackson366-143-70-06430215
Brian Happel4119-304-101-18330143
Andray Blatche328-110-01-36200317
Dwight Howard408-160-04-614501020
DeJuan Blair161-30-00-0601012
Marcin Gortat100-00-00-0100100
John Salmons101-10-00-0001002
Mack Bledsoe52-20-00-0010004
Cory Coleman50-00-00-0100000
Wayne Washington101-21-20-0050003
Ryan Anderson30-00-00-0020000
TEAM TOTALS50-918-226-1045291039114

Last edited by Hapshoops32; 03-07-2011 at 08:28 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »