Home

The Accidental Career of Guy West (CH2k8)

This is a discussion on The Accidental Career of Guy West (CH2k8) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #25
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The Accidental Career of Guy West (CH2k8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBears
While your record is impressive, I'd like to see you play somebody good
Ha, I know what you mean. I was expecting to struggle more in my non conference schedule. I mean, there have been some really close games I haven't posted yet, but nothing has quite brought me back down to earth like conference play.

And I'm enjoying the front line, even if Zeyphr can only rebound and play D. I'm really hopeful that I can recruit some size to replace him next year, because none of my other bigs are as good and specialized.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #26
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

Finishing Out the Non-Conference Schedule

Norfolk State (6-2)
Air Force (2-7) (72)
The Spartans get thumped as O'Quinn falls into early foul trouble and no one can get a shot off, much less in the basket. Air Force limited its opponent to 15 first half points. To add injury to insult, both Pauline and Tamares were injured during the game and won't return until conference play at the earliest.

Campbell (69)
Norfolk State (6-3)
This game was close throughout, but Norfolk State won on the back of its free throw shooting. Otherwise, Campbell was tearing apart the Spartan's porous perimeter defense and raining three after three after three.

Norfolk State (7-3)
Evansville (71)
The Spartans jump out to a 15-0 lead, stun the home crowd, and don't look back.

Norfolk State (8-3)
Jacksonville State (70)
Hampton bails out Norfolk State with some clutch three point shots and defense. Defense? Yes, defense. On a whim, Coach West switched to a 3-2 and Hampton masterfully played the passing lanes. The Spartans chipped at the Gamecock's lead until Hampton took over in the late game.

Norfolk State finishes its non-conference schedule on a high note with three straight wins and a very surprising 9-3 record. Pauline has recovered from his broken toe just in time for conference play, and Tarames is slated to return from injury soon as well.

More from Coach West in the next post. Also soon to come: a look at the Spartan's early conference games against Coppin State, Morgan State, and Delaware State.

Last edited by waytofailself; 04-04-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #27
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

R: Coach West, the Norfolk area is buzzing with the team's hot start that has defied expectations. Thoughts?
West: Our team has done what it has needed to do building up to conference play. We weren't perfect, we weren't flawless, and we still have plenty to work on. However, I'm proud of how our team has come together and the way in which we've been able to pull out some close games.

R: Some have said your team has benefited from an easy schedule that inflated your record. Do you think that's a fair assessment?
West: Really. Well, no, we haven't been taking on the power conferences. But my hope was to get our team ready for MEAC competition, not ACC or Big East play.

R: But isn't there some benefit to playing superior teams?
West: Sure, but I'm not a fan of being some other team's doormat either.

R: So you're saying your team's a doormat? Or would be a doormat?

West: No. No no no that's not what I meant at all, what I meant was...

R: Let's move on to something else. So far you have been playing with a fairly short bench, and even when your team was hit with some key injuries you haven't dug further into your bench. As the grind of the MEAC schedule wears on, who do you have tabbed to step up that maybe we haven't seen up until this point.
West: Well, the reason we've been using a short bench is from me and my assistants evaluating the roster and what everyone brings to the table. We're constantly evaluating, and looking to see whether players can step up. Even so, I'd say playing 8 or 9 deep is fairly reasonable and sustainable throughout the season.

R: Finally, what do you think your team's chances are to break through to the NCAA tournament?
West: Now, that's a quite a leap. If we keep playing like we've been playing, then I'd say anything is possible. But for now we need to focus on the season and take care of business. It's hard to make the NCAAs if we don't even make the MEAC tournament.

R: But everyone makes the MEAC tournament.

West: Oh. Well, you know what I mean. We'd love to get a bye.

R: Good luck against Coppin State tonight.
West: Thanks.

Coppin State (7-6) (1-0) (67)
Norfolk State (9-4) (1-1)
Key Performers
NSU
P. Williams
10 points
2 rebs
1 assist
2-8 FG
CSU
B. Doughtry
19 points
9 rebs
1 steal
2 blocks

Riding a strong winning streak and returning home for a big conference match up, the Spartans fall flat on their home floor. Coppin State attacked the basket from the start and got Norfolk State's star player, O'Quinn into early foul trouble. From there, the team settled for jump shots attacking the basket, and looked indecisive as they had 8 of their shots blocked in the first half by the far shorter Eagles squad.

West: "I guess our team bought into the hype a little too much. I don't know, we got into some early foul trouble and it took us out of our game entirely. We're going to have to have better focus going forward."

Norfolk State has a quick turnaround as Morgan State comes to town on Sunday.

Last edited by waytofailself; 04-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #28
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

What Happened to Morgan State?

Back in post 5 I highlighted just how strong of a squad Morgan State has. At least, how strong their squad is compared to the rest of the MEAC. They nearly swept the preseason awards, and have strong inside play, strong shooters, and strong play makers. Yet they're missing something despite having a realistically winnable schedule: wins. Before their trip to Norfolk, VA, the Bears have struggled to a 3-9 record and have thus far dropped two conference games. Somehow, in some way, the Bears have not lived up to their potential.

Dewayne Jackson has lived up to expectations, as he currently is the closest competition Kyle O'Quinn has to the MEAC scoring title, much less conference player of the year. Jackson currently averages 18.9 points per game and 2.5 three pointers. However, the honestly shocking stat line belongs to conference preseason player of the year Kevin Thomas. Although he missed two games due to injury, his averages of 6.3 points per game, 5.3 rebounds per game, and 0.6 blocks per game is troubling. His contributions might not show up on the stat line, but if they are there they aren't showing up in the win-loss column either.

R: You seemed to have caught Morgan State at a good time, as so far they have really struggled during the season. Do you think you have what it takes to get a win over them tonight?
West: Last I checked, we struggled mightily in our last game. I don't care about their record, or ours. They're a tough team and a tough match up, and we won't be taking them lightly.

Morgan State (3-10) (0-3) (77)
Norfolk State (10-4) (2-1)
Key Performers
NSU
K. O'Quinn
25 points
10 rebs
4 assists
12-19 FG
NSU
R. McCauley
10 points
4 rebs
1 assist
5-6 FT
MS
J. Black
19 points
5 assists
3 steals
3-7 3PT
MS
D. Jackson
15 points
4 assists
2-5 3PT

Morgan State provided some tough punches, but in the end it was Norfolk State that delivered the final knockout blow. In a game featuring runs of 12-0, 15-3, and 13-0, it seemed like when one team was on the other was off. It was a see-saw match until the end.

In what is beginning to become a common theme for the Spartans, O'Quinn started the game with two fouls in the first four minutes. The Bears took advantage and flipped a small deficit into a double digit lead that would grow as large as 13 points in the first half.

With the team looking dejected towards the end of the half, Coach West called a time out and went against his assistants suggestion: he matched up against Morgan State's gigantic front line by going small and telling his team to push to the basket. Between constantly breaking down the court, and confusing Morgan State by switching between 3-2, 2-3, and man to man, the Spartans not only went on a run of their own, but ended the half with a small lead.

The second half illustrated where Morgan State might be going wrong. Thompson is indeed a beast of a defender, but their coach kept him on Zephyr (no offensive game) the whole game instead of switching him to O'Quinn (leading MEAC scorer) when playing man to man. As a result, the Spartans built a large lead in the second half by feeding the ball to the post and watching O'Quinn a) abuse Morgan State's center by committee or b) watching him kick out from a double team in the post to a jump shooter. And, for the most part, the shots fell. Morgan State had one more good push, bringing Norfolk State's lead down from 14 to 3 with a few minutes left, but Pauline and McCauley sealed the game on the free throw line.

West: "I'm proud of my team for getting down in the first half and not staying down. We got some good energy from McCauley and Good off the bench, and we took control of the game. I can understand the Bear's late game push -- they're too good of a team to keep the clamps down the whole game. But we pulled out at the end. This is a good building win going forward."

Last edited by waytofailself; 05-10-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #29
MVP

VandyRedskins21's Arena

OVR: 18

Same thing happened in my legacy with the whole Morgan State thing. UCSB was the highest rated team in the conference (76) and they were the last team to make the conference tournament (8 of 9 make it).
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #30
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

FYI: I have more updates coming but I'm in a weird transition period. On Monday my laptop decided it was a good day to die. I'll have to wait until next week when I get it back from being repaired.

At least it was a known defect of nvidia chips in macbook pros? So it's free!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 10

Having a solid season so far, hope the laptop gets back soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #32
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

Great job! JW, what made you pick NSU for your dynasty?
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »