Home

The Runnin' and Gunnin' Coaching Career of Terrell Wall (CH 2K8)

This is a discussion on The Runnin' and Gunnin' Coaching Career of Terrell Wall (CH 2K8) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 36
The Runnin' and Gunnin' Coaching Career of Terrell Wall (CH 2K8)

UT Martin Announces New Hiring

In the 2009-2010 season, the UT-Martin Skyhawks experienced one of the roughest years in school history. The Skyhawks finished the season at 4-25 and a laughable 1-17 in Ohio Valley Conference play. Now, the Skyhawks are trying to climb out of their conference's cellar with the new hiring of 25 year old Coach Terrell Wall.

Coach Terrell Wall recently coached a local high school in Tennessee, Craigmont High to a state title, and will now bring his coaching talents to Martin, Tennessee. However, if this is your first time hearing of Wall, and your a Skyhawk fan, you're in for a surprise. Wall's Craigmont teams weren't your normal teams as they averaged 97 points per game in just 32 minutes. Now Wall plans to bring his runnin' and gunnin' mentality to UT-Martin.

Now, Terrell Wall sits down for his first interview since his hiring at UT-Martin.

Reporter: Hey Terrell, congratulations on your new job, but first could you explain your style of play.

Terrell Wall: Well, I once fell in love with Paul Westhead's style of play with LMU, and brought that style to my teams. Basically, we play 10-11 guys with 2 groups of 5 players. We constantly sub these 2 groups out after 5-7 minutes spurts. I like to play very, very up-tempo shooting in the first 7 seconds of the shot clock most of the time, and then forcing the other team to do the same. We press all game long for 40 minutes, and hope to create havoc, and turnovers, and quick shots.

Reporter: Are you concerned you may not have the personnel to run this style of play until a couple of years here?

Terrell Wall: That's always a concern, as we may not have the shooters, and rebounders I'd like, but we're going to have to fight through it. I need 11 guys to buy into my system, and I can teach them how to run this to perfection. There may be bumps in the road, but I think we can run and gun very well this year.

Reporter: Last year UT-Martin won only 4 games, and 2 of those games weren't even against Division I competition. What are your expectations for this year?

Terrell Wall: Very high. We've scheduled a much tougher schedule this year, going on the road to Tennessee, UNLV, and Vanderbilt, I believe. So that should prepare us for our #1 goal, which is to be a contender in the Ohio Valley conference.

Reporter: Reuben Clayton is your returning leading scorer from last year's team averaging 11 points per game. Do you think he will fit well, and possibly blossom in your system.

Terrell Wall: Well this system really stuffs the stat sheet. So a good 3 point shooter, and scorer like Reuben usually does well. So I have high expectations for him for his senior season.

Terrell Wall: That is all, thank you very much
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
MVP

Re: The Runnin' and Gunnin' Coaching Career of Terrell Wall (CH 2K8)

Terrell Wall's 1st Year

Years Experience: 1

Year 1| UT-Martin

Schedule

11/26 at Tennessee L 116-64
11/29 at Arkansas State W 105-104
12/1 at Saint Peter's W 100-98
12/8 vs. Jacksonville State W 100-81
12/17 at Morehead State
12/22 at UNLV
12/29 at Vanderbilt
1/3 vs. Austin Peay
1/5 vs. Samford
1/7 at Tennessee State
1/10 at Eastern Illinois
1/12 vs. Morehead State
1/17 at Austin Peay
1/19 vs. Murray State
1/24 at Samford
1/26 at Jacksonville State
1/29 vs. Eastern Kentucky
1/31 vs. Tennessee Tech
2/2 at SE Missouri State
2/7 vs. Tennessee State
2/9 vs. Eastern Illinois
2/14 at Tennessee Tech
2/16 vs. SE Missouri State
2/24 at Eastern Kentucky
3/1 at Murray State

Ohio Valley Conference Preview

Pre-Season Conference Player of the Year: Sr. PF K. Faried, Morehead State (81 ovr)

Pre-Season Freshman of the Year: Fr. SF C. Griffin, Murray State (67 ovr)

Best Shooter: Sr. PG T. Laser, Eastern Illinois (89 mid, 89 3 pt)

Best Playmaker: Jr. PG B. Miller, Jacksonville State (94 pass)

Best Pro Prospect: Sr. PF K. Faried, Morehead State (81 ovr, A pot)

Best Defender: Sr. SG B. Jenkins, Murray State (76 def, 75 stl, 70 blck)

1. Murray State (79)

2. Morehead State (72)

3. Austin Peay (72)

4. Tennessee Tech (70)

5. Eastern Kentucky (70)

6. Jacksonville State (70)

7. Eastern Illinois (69)

8. Samford (68)

9. SE Missouri State (68)

10. Tennessee State (67)

11. Tennessee-Martin (67)

Year 1 Squad

Group #1

Fr. PG Omari Minor 6'0, 61 ovr.
Sr. SG Reuben Clayton 6'3, 65 ovr.
Sr. SF Daron Hood 6'7, 60 ovr.
Fr. PF Mopo Pierre 6'7, 58 ovr.
Sr. C Andres Irarrazabal 6'7, 60 ovr.

Coach's Thoughts: Clayton is the star of this group, and in this system I expect him to possibly score 30 ppg. Omari Minor is a quick point guard, and a mediocre shooter. He had 9 assists in the Midnight Madness game, and will be finding a lot of wide open players. Daron Hood is a non-shooter, but a slasher that can get to the rim. Freshmen Mopo Pierre scored 30 (although stats are really inflated with both teams playing our style of play) in the Midnight Madness game so he can finish by the rim, and is a good rebounder. Andres Irarrazabal is a very good rebounder and we need to him take care of the boards real well with our system and our height issues against the big teams.

Group #2

So. PG Tre Edwards 6'0, 60 ovr.
Jr. SG Dane Smith 6'3, 58 ovr.
Fr. SF Mike Liabo 6'6, 60 ovr.
Fr. PF Troy King 6'6, 60 ovr.
So. C Ron Spencer 6'9, 62 ovr.
Fr. Utility PG Chris Richardson 6'0, 57 ovr.

Coach's Thoughts: Tre Edwards is a similar player to Omari Minor, but is a little bit of a better passer. Dane Smith struggles shooting, but is another player that is really good at going by players and getting to the rim. Freshmen Mike Liabo and Troy King are our scorers in this group. Liabo is our 3 pt. shooter and he hit 5 threes in our scrimmage. Troy King lead all scorers in that scrimmage as he can shoot the three and is maybe the best slasher on the team. Ron Spencer is the tallest player on our team and he is a very good rebounder. Chris Richardson is needed for 3 pt. shooting and if a player gets in foul trouble in any of the groups.

Last edited by RayAllen20; 04-03-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Pro

delija66's Arena

OVR: 7

GL bro!...........
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
MVP

UT-Martin Embarrassed in Season Opener

Nov 11, 2010 - UTM at TENN
TEAM1ST2NDSCORE
Tennessee Volunteers (3-3)7056116
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks (0-1)442064

Top Performers
S. Hopson 20 points, T. Harris 19 pts.
T. King 15 pts., R. Clayton 11 pts.

As first year head coach Terrell Wall promised there would be a lot of points. What he failed to mention, was they would mostly all go to the other team. The struggling Tennessee Volunteers (3-3) completely dominated the UT-Martin Skyhawks for 40 minutes, en route to their 3rd victory of the season.

The Volunteers matched the Skyhawks' frantic tempo, with their own press, and a barrage of 3 pointers. Scottie Hopson and Tobias Harris only played one half of basketball, yet they combined for 39 points. The Vols jumped out to a 20 point lead, 39-19 behind their home crowd, and never looked back. At halftime, the Skyhawks trailed 70-44.

In the second half, the Vols played mainly bench players but it got worse. UT-Martin managed only 20 points, as they turned the ball over and missed shot after shot. The lone bright spot for Coach Wall, was Troy King who scored 15 points thanks to 3 triples.

Next up for UT-Martin is a trip to Arkansas State, which shouldn't be as difficult as the trip to Knoxville.

Last edited by RayAllen20; 04-03-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
MVP

UT-Martin Steals a Win Versus Arkansas State

Nov 29, 2010 - UTM at ARK
TEAM1ST2NDSCORE
Arkansas State Indians (2-4)5054104
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks (1-1)5253105

Top Performers
J. Boone 23 pts., T. Finn 22 pts.
T. Edwards 11 pts, 7 asts., T. King 17 pts.

Trailing 104-103 with 20 seconds left, somebody had to make a play for the UT-Martin Skyhawks. Dane Smith did just that, creating a steal and then slamming home a dunk with 15 seconds left, for his 16th point of the night. Arkansas State sharpshooter J. Boone then got one last shot, launching a deep three at the buzzer that missed, giving the Skyhawks their first win of the season.

The high pressure defense did much better in its second game of the season, as the Skyhawks forced over 15 turnovers, and scored 105 points. Tre Edwards was a real spark for Coach Wall, as he ran around creating havoc on defense, and found the open man on offense with 7 assists. Troy King shot well from behind the arc, and finished with 17 points, and Smith was right behind him with 16, while Clayton managed 14.

Boone and Finn both hurt the Skyhawks by drilling from behind the arc when left alone because of the double teams. Finn hit a three ball with 50 seconds left to give the Red Wolves a 3 point lead, but Smith cut the lead to 1 with a lay-in, and then made the steal, finishing with a dunk.

Coach Terrell Wall got his first win as a Division I head coach, and will now have his team travel to play the Peacocks of St. Peter's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
MVP

Clayton Carries Skyhawks to 2nd Straight Victory

Dec 1, 2010 - UTM at STP
TEAM1ST2NDSCORE
St. Peter's Peacocks (2-4)564298
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks (2-1)5050100

Top Performers
Jerome Belin 20 pts., Steve Samuels 17 pts.
Reuben Clayton 28 pts., Troy King 17 pts.

Down 98-95 with a minute to go, someone had to step up for UT-Martin. That man was Reuben Clayton, who had dissapointed in his first two games. Clayton drilled a 3 to tie up the game, and then with 30 seconds left, Ron Spencer grabbed an offensive rebound and kicked it out to Clayton. Clayton caught it inside the three point line, and didn't hesitate, hitting the bucket. Jerome Belin then missed a floater in the lane to try and tie it up for the Peacocks but it rattled out, and the Skyhawks won, 100-98.

St. Peter's and UT-Martin had 10 lead changes in the first half, but the Peacocks went on a 10-2 run to end the half, up 56-50. Then UT-Martin could not regain the lead no matter how much effort it put into its comeback. Belin continued to hit from outside the arc for the Peacocks, and keep the Skyhawks at bay. However, trailing 92-90, Clayton came through with a clutch triple to finally give the Skyhawks a lead with 3 minutes left.

Reuben Clayton lead all scorers with 28, and Troy King helped him out with 17. Belin had 20 for the Peacocks, and Steve Samuels complimented him with 17 of his own. Next up, the Skyhawks enter conference play, with a 2-1 record.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
MVP

Skyhawks Rout Jacksonville State in Home Opener

Dec 8, 2010 - JST at UTM
TEAM1ST2NDSCORE
Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks (3-1)3961100
Jacksonville State Gamecocks (3-4)433881

Top Performers
R. Clayton 27 pts., R. Spencer 10 pts. 10 rebs.
B. Miller 10 pts. 12 asts., J. Cornelius 27 pts.

It was a tale of two halves, but in the end the Skyhawks easily handled the Gamecocks in front of their home crowd.

Jacksonville State slowed down the pace, and prevented the pressure and double teams from getting to them in the first half. They took 20 seconds off the shot clock each possession in an attempt to slow down the Skyhawks. For 18 minutes it worked, as the Gamecocks held a 43-32 lead with 2 minutes left. However, the Skyhawks went off in the last 2 minutes going on a 7-0 run, capped off by a 35 footer at the buzzer by Reuben Clayton.

UT-Martin took that momentum into the second half, creating turnovers left and right, and catching fire from beyond the arc. Clayton was unstoppable with 17 points, and the Skyhawk defense did its best job of the season so far holding the Gamecocks to 38 points in the second half.

Jordan Cornelius had a solid game for Jacksonville State scoring 27 points, and point guard B.J. Miller dished out 12 assists along with his 10 points. However, the big storyline is how Reuben Clayton is coming to life after a rough start, and becoming the player Coach Wall thought he could be.

UT-Martin will play one more conference game at Morehead State before finishing off their non-conference schedule with tough road trips to UNLV, and Vanderbilt.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
MVP

hockeyplaya2724's Arena

OVR: 29

Nice 3-1 start, this dynasty is definitely realistic. Just one thing though, do you think you could bring the time down? Because getting 100 points a game is a bit unrealistic, for any team in the NCAA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »