Home

A New Journey (Closed Legacy 2K8)

This is a discussion on A New Journey (Closed Legacy 2K8) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: A New Journey (Closed Legacy 2K8)

CSUS CLAIM BIG SKY CHAMPIONSHIP TO EARN AUTOMATIC SEED!!!!

For the 2nd straight year the Sacremento Hornets will go Dancing!!!. Struggling going into the tourney, the Hornets got a huge boost from PF J. Legans and a pair of freshman (PG D. Meyer and L. Bates) as CSUS defeats MTSU (83-72) in the opening round, then Idaho State (71-65) and then regular season champ Weber State (92-72) in the championship.

Legans Avg 15.3 PPG and 6.0 RPG along with 2 BPG to lead the Hornets. FR PG D. Meyer had his 1st career Double Double with 14 pts 11 reb in the win over MTSU well Bates had a career and team high 21 pts. In the championship game it was JR F. Burke coming off the bench to score a team high 21 pts to lead the Hornets back to the Field of 64.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:10 AM   #58
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

COULD COACH YOUNG BE LEAVING THE NEST???

It's been reported that former ESPN 8 "The Ocho" reporter and current Sacremento State Head Coach Ryne Young is being highly sought after by several larger universities including with openings announced at both TCU and Tulsa as well as possibilites that Coach Young would also be the chosen one to replace S. Sutton at Gonzaga or S. Smart at VCU should either of those 2 coaches get a offer to move up the ranks.

Coach Young "Right now I am the Head Coach at Sacremento State and our season is not over, I have to get my team ready to make a run in the tourney. Last year we surprised some people and made it to the Sweet 16. This year I see no reason why we can't do it again. Both jobs at TCU and Tulsa would be challenges for me. Tulsa is coming off a 3-13 season in CUSA and a 6-23 season overall, well TCU went 4-12 and 10-18 Overall. As much as I would like the challenge of playing in a larger conference, I am not sure either of those schools would be the best fit.

I am a West coast guy so for me to leave I think it would be for a school ready to make that next step toward winning a championship, not a rebuilding project at this point in my career. VCU is one of those teams, as Coach Smart has done a great job of turning them into a powerhouse in the Colonial Conference. Coach Sutton has continued a great tradition at Gonzaga following in the footsteps of Mark Few. The Bulldogs have always been a favorite of mine after leaving in Spokane for 6 years, so they would obviously be on my short list of schools to coach at."

I guess at this point we will just have to stay tuned and find out where Coach Young might be next year, after we first watch what he and his Hornets can do in what can only be called "March Madness!!!!"

Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

SELECTION SUNDAY!!!!

Good Evening and Welcome to Selection Sunday. I am your host Greg Gumbel and joining me as always is Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis.

GG-We had some crazy finishes this year in conference tourneys, as some of the projected champs are no longer headed to the Field of 65 but instead will have to settle for a NIT berth. What teams stand out to you guys (Clark and Seth).

CK-For me the biggest one is from the Missouri Valley. Creighton finished just 7-11 in the MWC, but by winning their conference tourney they snuck in as a #14 seed, leaving Missouri State headed to the NIT. Another team who did the same thing was Sacremento State. The Hornets finished 8-8 and earned the last seed into the Big Sky yet they too will earn a #14 seed and head to the "Big Dance"

SD- I think the biggest thing that stands out to me is the Pac-10. They have produced the National Champs 2 of the past 3 seasons, yet this year have only 1 team headed to the "Big Dance" #11 Washington finished 8-10 but won the conference tourney in a down year for this power conference. Regular season champs Oregon, Oregon State, and USC will all be headed to the NIT.

GG- Well besides those teams, here is a list of several other top teams who are use to playing for a shot for a National Championship who won't be this year.

North Carolina 6-10 ACC 18-14 Overall
** Duke 6-10 ACC 16-14 Overall
Villanova 9-9 Big East 17-15 Overall
"Played in last year's National Title game"
Syracuse 6-12 Big East 16-15 Overall
Notre Dame 3-15 Big East 11-19 Overall
Cincinnati 1-17 Big East 8-22 Overall
Ohio State 8-10 Big Ten 15-17 Overall
Kansas 5-11 Big 12 12-17 Overall
Arizona State 7-11 Pac-10 17-13 Overall
"Played in Final 4 last year"
Stanford 7-11 Pac-10 12-17 Overall
** LSU 9-7 SEC 20-14 Overall
"Played in Final 4 last year"
** Kentucky 7-9 SEC 19-16 Overall
Tennessee 3-13 SEC 15-15 Overall
* Gonzaga 10-4 WCC Regular season Champs, 20-10 Overall
** Utah State 13-3 WAC, 22-8 Overall

**(Denotes Teams headed to the NIT)
Other Noteable teams head to the NIT- (Indiana, Saint Louis, Arkansas, Miami FL, NC State, Oklahoma State, DePaul,Cal,OSU)

*Conference Champs who have to settle for the NIT- (Weber State-Big Sky, Flordia Gulf Coast-A Sun, Radford-Big South, Cleveland State-Horizon, Manhattan-Metro Atlantic, MD-Eastern Shore-Mid Eastern, Missouri State-MVC, F. Dickenson-Northeast, Tennessee-Martin- OVC, Oregon-Pac-10, Alabama A&M-SWAC, W. Kentucky-Sun Belt, Gonzaga-WCC)
GG-Now that you have seen what teams are not going to the Field of 65. Let's take a look at those who are.
Play in Game
Northfok State vs Long Beach State
EAST REGIONAL

#1 Texas vs winner
#8 Troy vs #9 Boston U
#5 UAB vs #12 Hofstra
#4 Saint Joseph vs #13 UNC Greensboro
#6 Dayton vs #11 Iowa
#3 Providence vs #14 Creighton
#7 Florida vs #10 Miss State
#2 San Diego State vs #15 Fresno State

GG-What teams stand out to you guy's?

CK-I like #1 Texas. They are the #1 ranked team in both the Media and Coaches Poll and there is a reason why. They are the best team in the nation. They should be a lock for the Final 4.

SD-I disagree SDSU won 28 games this year and has only lost 5 with 2 of those to Utah (once in th MWC Final) who is also head to the Big Dance. I think the Aztecs have what it takes to beat Texas.

GG-Okay well let's look at the West Regional. This one shapes up for some upsets in my mind.

WEST REGIONAL

#1 Illinois vs #16 Arkansas Pin-Bluff
#8 Seton Hall vs #9 Wake Forest
#5 Vanderbilt vs #12 Holy Cross
#4 Alabama vs #13 Southern Miss
#6 Marquette vs #11 Penn
#3 Texas Tech vs #14 Sacremento State
#7 Charlotte vs #10 Xaiver
#2 West Virginia vs #15 Charleston Southern

CK-I agree with you Greg. This is upset city, and it all starts with #14 Sacremento State. The Hornets went to the Sweet 16 last year after upsetting Wisconsin and this year #3 Texas Tech better watch out.

SD-I like Xaiver in a A-10 battle with Charlotte. I think we could see the Musketeers then upset #2 WVU giving us a #10 vs #14 showdown in the S-16.

GG-Okay guys well let's move on to the South Regional, where I again think we could see some upsets.

SOUTH REGIONAL

#1 Missouri vs #16 Fairfield
#8 Coll of Charleston vs #9 VCU
#5 Nevada vs #12 Temple
#4 Virginia vs #13 Utah
#6 Iowa State vs #11 Washington
#3 UNLV vs #14 Illinois-Chicago
#7 Michigan vs #10 Wisconsin
#2 South Florida vs #15 Mercer

CK-After losing to CSUS last year Wisconsin is looking for revenge. I think they have the talent to get past Big Ten foe Michigan and then beat #2 South Florida.

SD-I like #11 Washington. I think the Huskies will surprise #6 Iowa State, but I have #3 UNLV going to the Elite 8, so the Dawgs run will be short lived.

GG-Okay guys we are 3/4 of the way through. Let's take a look at the Midwest Regional.

MIDWEST REGIONAL

#1 UConn vs #15 Central Connecticutt
#8 Georgia Tech vs #9 Michigan State
#5 Clemson vs #12 Middle Tennessee
#4 Memphis vs #13 Saint Mary's
#6 Kent State vs #11 North Dakota State
#3 Maryland vs #14 Stephen F. Austin
#7 Pitt vs #10 UC Riverside
#2 Louisville vs #15 Jacksonville State

CK- I like UConn repeating as National Champs if they can make it past the winner of GT vs Michigan State.

SD-I like #13 Saint Mary's to upset #4 Memphis. The Gaels were a #1 seed last year for a reason. They are good!!! Also I like #7 Pitt beating #2 Louisville in a Big East showdown and think they could even shock UConn in the Elite 8 with a chance to go to the Final 4.

Greg Gumbel- Well there you have it, your Field of 65.. Hope you enjoy the March Madness as much as I do, because this shapes up to be yet another exciting year of College Basketball
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

UPSET CITY PART II

#14 VS #3

For the 2nd straight year, the CSUS Hornets have upset a team in the opening round of the NCAA tourney. Last year it was Wisconsin, this year it was #3 Texas Tech.

The Hornets jumped out to a commanding 56-32 lead in the 1st half as SO SG R. DaSilva hit 4/6 3pt starting for the injuried SG I. Newby.

In the 2nd half it was FR L. Bates who took over coming off the bench to lead the Hornets with a team high 17 pts and 10 rebounds. Bates also recorded 4 steals and blocked a career/team high 6 shots as he dominated both sides of the ball.
FINAL SCORE CSUS-87 TEXAS TECH-68

OTHER 1ST ROUND UPSETS

EAST

#13 UNC Greensboro-69 #4 Saint Joseph-67
#11 Iowa-97 #6 Dayton-71

WEST

#10 Xavier-93 #7 Charlotte-74
"Hornets next opponent"

SOUTH

#13 Utah-79 #4 Virginia-74
#11 Washington-74 #6 Iowa State-69
#10 Wisconsin-95 #7 Michigan-69

MIDWEST

#13 Saint Mary's-78 #4 Memphis-69

Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #61
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

HORNETS HONEY IS SWEET AGAIN!!!

#14 VS #6

Goo things happen in two's for Coach Ryne "Deuce" Young. For the 2nd year in a row, Sacremento State will be heading to the Sweet 16 as CSUS has become known as the Upset King.

Trailing 40-32 at the half, many people counted the Hornets out, but not their coach and definetly not the players. SO SG R. DaSilva came to the rescue hitting 3/3 3pt in the 2nd half and FR. L. Bates followed up his career game against TTU with a solid 7 pt 12 reb 2 blk performance, but it was SO C. Freeman that carried the load with 19 pts to lead the Hornets to the victory.

FINAL SCORE CSUS-83 MARQUETTE-68

Coach Young "I thought the guy's played great tonight in the 2nd half. If we play like that the rest of the tourney, we could easily play for a National Title. Freeman and Bates dominated down low and DaSilva and Meyer both hit some huge 3's when we needed them."

THE REST OF THE SWEET 16

EAST

#1 Texas-108 #9 Boston U-87
#5 UAB-63 #13 UNC Greensboro-62
#11 Iowa-104 #3 Providence-89
#2 San Diego State-89 #7 Florida-74

WEST

#1 Illinois-67 #8 Seton Hall-52
#4 Alabama-83 #5 Vanderbilt-58
#10 Xavier 75 #2 West Virginia-69
"Now the Hornets next opponent"

SOUTH

#1 Missouri-80 #8 Coll of Charl-59
#5 Nevada-78 #13 Utah-68
#3 UNLV-85 #11 Washington-73
#10 Wisconsin-65 #2 South Florida-63

MIDWEST

#1 UConn-88 #8 Georgia Tech-57
#13 Saint Mary's-72 #5 Clemson-64
#3 Maryland-101 #6 Kent State-74
#7 Pitt-83 #2 Louisville-58

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

HORNETS REWRITE THE RECORD BOOK

#14 VS #10

The Sacremento State record books have been rewritten. After back to back Sweet 16 appearences, the Hornets are headed to the Elite 8.

CSUS took a 46-36 lead in the 1st half, but it wasn't without cost. JR PF J. Legans was forced form the game and already without SG I. Newby, Coach Young was left with just 9 players.

However 6 of those 9 would score in double digits led by SO C. Freeman who had a double double (17 pts 11 reb) and they would get 37 pts from the bench including a season high 10 pts each from C. Brewington and C. Hipsher.

FINAL SCORE CSUS-93 XAIVER-78

Coach Young "Again the team played great and battled when pushed. I thought we did a amazing job hitting shots from downtown (12/16 3pt)"

C. Brewington-I hope the best for Legs and Newby, but it was great to get a chance to play more minutes and hit some big shots for my team (2/2 3pt)

C. Hipsher-"I will be the first to admit I have been frustrated with my lack of PT afte starting 22/22 games as a Freshman, but when I look back at my stats I didn't produce (4.0 PPG 2.1 RPG 1.8 APG), so I guess I just need to settle into my role now and help whenever I can."

THE REST OF THE SWEET 16 RESULTS

#1 Texas-95 #5 UAB-82
#2 San Diego State-94 #11 Iowa-86

#1 Illinois-77 #4 Alabama-71

#5 Nevada-88 #1 Missouri-61
#3 UNLV-75 #10 Wisconsin-61

#1 UConn-84 #13 Saint Mary's-69
#3 Maryland-98 #7 Pitt-73

Selection Sunday Crew comments:

GG-I must say I am somewhat amazed that we have 3/4 #1 seeds in the Elite 8. Not nearly as many upsets this year as top seeds have advanced.

CK-I am sad to see #7 Pitt lose. I thought they had a great chance to beat #1 UConn in a Big East Battle. Also I think that Sacremento State has a great chance at beating #1 Illinois. I felt like they were the weakest of the #1 seeds.

SD-I am not surprised by #5 Nevada's upset over #1 Missouri. Coach Carter is a great coach and has been rumored to several powerhouse program openings at the end of the tourney. I am looking forward to watching the instate rivalary matchup with #3 UNLV
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

THE ROAD CONTINUES FOR SACREMENTO STATE

#14 VS #1

#1 Illinois finished the season with the #3 RPI and was ranked #3 in the Media Poll and #4 in the Coaches Poll. So on paper it was David was Goliath. However that wouldn't stop Coach Young and his Hornets from believing they stood a chance, and they proved it tonight.

Once again Sac State jumped out to the 1st half lead going into the locker room up 46-36.

Coach Young "Anytime you have a 10pt lead at the half you have to believe you have a chance to win, but I told the guy's that the game wan't over yet and we still had 20 minutes of our best basketball before we could start celebrating.."

Illinois would play with the Hornets in the 2nd half, but were unable to erase that 10pt deficit, as they struggle shooting just 8/26 from 3pt. With only 9 active players it was the Hornets bench who came through yet again scoring 44 pts in the victory.

FINAL SCORE CSUS-85 ILLINOIS-73

KEY PLAYERS

FR D. Meyer-13 pts 7 reb 5 asst 2/4 3pt
FR L. Bates-6 pts 10 reb 2 blks
SO C. Freeman-13 pts 6 reb
JR F. Burke-16 pts 11 reb (Bench)
JR C. Brewington-10 pts (Bench)
JR C. Hipsher-12 pts 2/2 3pt (Bench)

Coach Young "Injuries can normally kill a team, but in our case I think it might have helped. Brew and Hip have really stepped up and given us solid #'s off the bench, and L. Bates had already showed us he was more then capable of starting"

OTHER ELITE 8 SCORES

#1 Texas-85 #2 San Diego State-53

#3 UNLV-87 #5 Nevada-74

#3 Maryland-97 #1 UConn-79

Comments by the Selection Sunday Crew:

GG-I don't think it's to anyone's surprise that #1 Texas is in the Final 4.

CK-I agree Greg, I had them playing #1 UConn for the National Title. Guess I can still get 1 of the teams correct for my bracket

SD-Well I didn't pick #1 Texas, but I did pick #3 UNLV for my Final 4. At least I have 1 team left.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

WILL GLORY ROAD CONTINUE FOR SAC STATE ??

#14 VS #1

It's said good things happen in 2's for Coach Ryne "Deuce" Young. Well let's hop so. After beating a #1 seed and the #3 team in the nation to get here, Sacremento State now must beat their biggest and toughest opponent yet. The #1 seeded and #1 team in the nation the Texas Longhorns.

OPPONENT PREVIEW
Texas opened the year beating Gonzaga (79-70). They then went on to win 15 straight beating teams like (Kentucky, UCLA, UNLV, Memphis,LSU and DePaul), before losing in the Big 12 home opener to another #1 seed and Big 12 Champs Missouri. But Texas got their revenge beating Missouri in the Big 12 Championship, and with 7 straight wins including the (85-53 beating of #2 SDSU) the Longhorns were ready to take on the Hornets.

THE GAME

They key to defeating Texas in Coach Young' mind was to shut down SR PG Corey Joseph (17.1 PPG 5.6 APG). CSUS would do just that limiting the star PG to just 4 pts, but still Texas would lead 43-39 at the half.

In the 2nd half the Hornets would hang tough never trailing by more then 8pts and with less then 2 minutes to play the game was tied. Joseph would come up huge hitting his only shot and 3pt in the 2nd half with .48 seconds to play to give Texas the 2pt lead (72-70), but after a quick basket by C. Freeman and a steal and score by E. Cooperwood it was CSUS who was up 74-72 with just 28 seconds to play.

Texas looked like they were going to hold for the final shot, but instead with 14 seconds left Coach Young sent Joseph to the line for a pair of FT's. Having missed his only 2 Free throw attempts earlier in the game, Joseph however proved why he was a leader and drilled both shots to tie the game (74-74). Coach Young would call the timeout.

The Play was called. (PG Loop). D Meyer would start with the ball at the top of the key before giving it up to R. Da Silva on the wing. Da Silva would work it in to Freeman in the post who would swing it back outside to the opposite wing to E. Cooperwood and with 6 seconds to play Cooperwood would then hit DaSilva still set up on the opposite wing for a wide open 3pt shot. The ball would hit nothing but net as the Horents players, coaches and fans swarmed the court to celebrate the win!!!

FINAL SCORE SAC STATE-77 TEXAS-74

KEY PLAYERS

R. DaSilva-11 pts 3 asst 1/4 3pt
E. Cooperwood-10 pts 4 reb 2 blks
L. Bates-14 pts 9 reb 2 blks
C. Freeman-15 pts 8 reb
C. Brewington-7 pts 4 stls (Bench)

Coach Young after the game with Bonnie Bernstein

BB-Coach wow. How amazing was that. You just beat the #1 team in the country and for the second time in the tourney a #1 seed. You are going to the Championship game!!!

CY-It's crazy Bonnie. Never in a million years, did I think that I would be able to take Sacremento State in just 4 seasons to a National Title game.

BB-Coach what a gutsy call for the final play. You guy's were just 1/13 from 3pt before that shot and DaSilva was 0/3 from 3pt. The game was tied... Why not just work it into the post and hope for a easy bucket by Freeman or Bates?

CY-Well Bonnie that orginally was the plan, but Coach Barnes had his Defense ready for us inside. I am just glad Cooperwood didn't take the shot (25% from 3pt). DaSilva is a great shooter (42% from 3pt on the season) and showed it tonight.

BB-Coach, I am sure you are excited to get to the locker room and celebrate with your players and assistants. Before you go, it's either going to be #3 UNLV or #3 Maryland which team would you rather face?

CY-To be honest Bonnie, I don't think it really matters. Both teams are amazing.. UNLV is the #4 scoring team in the nation (84.5 PPG) right behind Texas (84.7) and Maryland isn't far behind #8 (81.2 PPG). Either way we are going to have to play even better against them then we did tonight if we have a shot at winning.

BB-Okay well thanks coach and good luck either way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »