Home

Bringing Back the Buzz: Zo & '92-93 Hornets

This is a discussion on Bringing Back the Buzz: Zo & '92-93 Hornets within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2015, 04:36 AM   #1
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Bringing Back the Buzz: Zo & '92-93 Hornets

(Quick note: there will be some things in this dynasty that require a leap of faith or overlooking small incongruities, mainly around what year it really is. I know that, but I think this will be fun. It’s my first one, and I’m excited)

The Backstory
After spending 10 years rapidly rising through the college coaching ranks, Coach J finally won his national title; and it felt great. After making the tourney so many times, but falling short over and over, he had his championship. This was his 5th year in charge of the Badgers, and this was easily most talented team, but it was one that was built off of the successes and learnings of previous teams. In his second year, his twin towers were seniors, but his starting guards were both sharpshooting freshman that couldn’t quite handle the heat of the tourney, getting knocked out in the Elite 8. There was redemption however; it was those two guards (now seniors) and some new big men that cut down the nets this past season.

By teaching these young men to be leaders, they had stepped up and guided the team to a 37-4 record this past season and the Badgers were looking to be among the favorites the next year as well. Coach J’s brand of basketball, branded “Trees & Threes,” was very difficult to stop, and Senior PF Eto Ruffin looked poised to dominate all of his opponents this next season.

However, he’d have to do it without Coach J.

Coach J's lone championship trophy.

It was late in the summer and Coach J was putting the last touches on his Basketball History elective. Half the class was student athletes wanting to take an easy class, but he enjoyed teaching it. As he was reviewing his work on Red Auerbach and the Celtics, his phone rang. “This is Coach J speaking.”

It was the owner of the Hornets. Coach couldn’t believe what he was hearing. They were asking him to take over as the head coach and director of player development. They’d been following him for several years and loved how young players responded to him, grew into NBA-ready talents, and his “Trees and Threes” approach could thrive with this young Hornets roster. The Hornets previous coach and some of his staff were dismissed in mid-August for actions that were unethical, sometimes immoral, and embarrassing to the organization. The owner and his closest advisors were scrambling to find a replacement. The future was bright, but they needed someone who could nurture the team and bring them to their full potential and they were looking to get away from the old boys club that was previously running the team.

Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, and Kendall Gill were all 24 and younger, great at defense, and played with power. The team was lacking a little bit in the way of “Threes” however, with Dell Curry being the only real deep threat. Was this what Coach J wanted to do? He was likely on the verge of starting a series of title runs that hadn’t been seen for decades. There was talk of him getting a lifetime contract from Wisconsin. This was a tough, and nerve-wracking decision…and he had 48 hours to make up his mind.

Picture of Coach J from the 2015 Wisconsin Media Guide

He had decided to move his family to Charlotte. The East Coast was a new adventure. He was an Iowa boy and he had coached at Illinois, Idaho, and Wisconsin. He’d also be leaving behind some players and relationships he valued. The Badgers’ three NBA ready starters took it the hardest.
  • Senior PF and Captain Eto Ruffin couldn’t believe it. He had such a close relationship with Coach J, who had helped mold him into a responsible man. Someone who now took care of his young boy and girlfriend instead of trying to abandon them for a flashier life.
  • Connecticut’s 2014 Mr. Basketball, Mamadou Banjo, had always clashed with assistant coach Clive Benjamin. Could he really get through this year playing for him?
  • Superstar Junior Jerret Carmichael began wondering aloud if he had made the right decision to stay another year. He was touted as a lottery pick last year, and his well-rounded game and good stroke could have thrived on the right team.
It was definitely far from ideal, and he’d be watching those guys from afar, but he had an exciting new opportunity.

Alonzo Mourning wasn’t as tall as his centers normally were, but he was probably more tenacious and talented than any big man Coach J had been around. He needs some seasoning, but his defensive instincts were top notch, and he wasn’t afraid to play with speed and power.

Larry Johnson was also a bit shorter than Coach J was used to, but his strength and mean streak more than made up for it. Larry reminded coach a bit of Charles Barkley, who played above his height and had both an inside and outside game. If Larry could start hitting threes, he could be a really valuable stretch 4, creating a lot of mismatches.

Coach wasn’t quite sure what he had with Kendall Gill or Muggsy Bogues. They had been around the league a bit longer and were well-rounded, but Coach J wanted to see how they’d fit in. Muggsy was so small and wasn’t a great shooter, and Gill was also a bit short for a Small Forward and didn’t shoot well enough to be a 2-guard in a Trees & Threes system. It doesn’t mean that couldn’t be valuable, but there were already hard problems to solve. The only thing Coach J knew for sure was that he was going to lean heavily on Dell Curry. He was a leader of men and a very reliable shooter. He may not be flashy, but that’s the kind of guy every team needs.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.

Last edited by studbucket; 10-17-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2015, 04:37 AM   #2
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Meta

Settings
House Rules
  • Will play 15 games a season (previously was 1 game per week, then 20 games per season)
    • 2 in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr
    • 3 flex games
  • Will play 2 games per playoff series. Rolling an 8-sided die to determine which games I play. (previously played game 1, first elimination game, and game 7. Before that, game 1, all elimination games)
  • Will try not to cheese, but I don't follow the NBA too closely, and haven't played a hoops game since College Hoops 2K8. There will be a learning curve for me.
Inspiration & Background
I've never had a favorite NBA team, and just followed Alonzo Mourning around for nearly his entire career. When I picked up NBA 2K16, the first thing I checked for was a team with him on it. To my disappointment, the late 90s Heat weren't in the game, but this exciting and young Hornets team was in the game.

Knowing that I could play with those Hornets and that I have the chance to take Alonzo Mourning from a rookie through his entire career, I knew I couldn't pass that up.

I actually started playing the career before considering a dynasty, but 2 things inspired me:
1) I had so much fun molding the team that I sent a long mail to friends about it.
2) trekfan's Sonics dynasty is awesome to follow, and as someone who loved the mid-90s Sonics and now lives in Seattle, I'd love to copy his logos and do a Sonics MyLeague at some point as well.

Trekfan gave me some great advice, and I took it and ran with it. I like the idea of my coach coming pro, coaching Zo, and seeding some of my past players in the league to add some spice.

Goals
I am not a writer. My skills lie in organization & communication, especially with technical subjects. I won't be looking to wow you guys with my story. However, just making up a story helped make me more excited and engaged.

I'll be looking to give you guys progress updates, but mostly just log this stuff for myself, since I love doing things like this. I probably should have done it with FIFA or FM13, given how much I played those.

Other Notes
Feedback and commentary welcome. Thanks!

Table of Contents (for Key Posts)
The final post is here, 2K cut this MyLeague short. Sorry friends.

Last edited by studbucket; 06-02-2022 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Re: Bringing Back the Buzz: Zo & '92-93 Hornets

Sorry for reserving all the empty posts last night. I think I got a bit overzealous as I was tired. It'll probably be best for me to intersperse Coach J's backstory throughout, instead of dumping it all u front.

I'm also thinking of putting some of his previous college players as free agents, so they get picked up. I'm not quite sure how to get a guy like Eto Ruffin into the draft, since I've already started and I chose to have the 2K-generated draft. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Week 1 Recap

Coach J had a sense for his roster coming in, but he certainly learned a lot after the first game. In a loss to the Heat that was full of sloppy play by Charlotte, a few things were confirmed.
  • The team really lacks depth, with a huge dropoff between the starters and rotation players
  • Zo and Larry Johnson are going to be a handful for other teams
  • There aren’t many shooters on the roster
  • Muggsy Bogues is quick, but his lack of height may prove to be a problem. Goran Dragic had his way with Bogues all game long.
  • The Hornets are fast and great on the break

With this knowledge in his arsenal, Coach J got to work, making some trades that drastically shook up the team. There were rumors that Charlotte were after Giannis Antetokounmpo or one of the 76ers big men, but it was obvious that they lacked the assets to make a deal unless they wanted to blow up their core. So, some more realistic trades were made.

Trade 1
Boston gets: Muggsy Bogues (PG), Sidney Green (PF)
Charlotte gets: Avery Bradley (SG), Kelly Olynyk (C)

Muggsy was dangled out there, and several teams came calling. Ultimately, nobody could match Boston’s offer. Bradley provides great defense and some good 3 point shooting, and can play the point competently. Olynyk has his flaws, but is immediately the best big man on the bench.

Trade 2
Washington gets: David Wingate (SF), 2018 2nd round
Charlotte gets: Gary Neal (SG), Ramon Sessions (PG)

Wingate was a SF who couldn’t shoot to save his life, and wasn’t going to add any value to this Hornets team. The deal wasn’t great for Charlotte, but they get a competent point guard in Sessions, and Neal turned out to be a useful trade piece.

Trade 3
Chicago gets: Gary Neal (SG), Johnny Newman (SF), 2016 2nd round, 2017 2nd round
Charlotte gets: Taj Gibson (PF), 2017 1st round, 2019 1st round

Johnny Newman was offered out to the league and Charlotte received a shocking 15 offers for him, 3 of which were worth considering. However, the best was one involving Taj Gibson, his contract (2 years, $17m), and a first round pick. Smelling blood in the water, a counter-offer was made, and ultimately Gary Neal and a few more picks were thrown in.

With those trades, the Hornets didn’t have a great roster, but they had something that Coach J felt a lot better about: better shooters and a bigger & better bench.

Here’s the team’s new rotation:
PG - Avery Bradley
SG - Dell Curry
SF - Kendall Gill
PF - Larry Johnson
C - Alonzo Mourning

6 - Ramon Sessions, PG
7 - Taj Gibson, C
8 - Kelly Olynyk, C
9 - Kenny Gattison, PF

Using that rotation, the Hornets got a big win at Atlanta, riding Larry Johnson and Alonzo Mourning to a victory.

The team is now 1-1 heading with 4 games in the next week: ATL, CHI, @DAL, @SA.

Last edited by studbucket; 10-18-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
Sorry for reserving all the empty posts last night. I think I got a bit overzealous as I was tired. It'll probably be best for me to intersperse Coach J's backstory throughout, instead of dumping it all u front.

I'm also thinking of putting some of his previous college players as free agents, so they get picked up. I'm not quite sure how to get a guy like Eto Ruffin into the draft, since I've already started and I chose to have the 2K-generated draft. If you have any suggestions, let me know.
First off -- following. I'm honored to have inspired you.

Secondly, as for getting players in from Coach J. college days, since you're in MyLeague you have ultimate control of the roster (at least I do, anyway -- I'm on PC, but it should work the same for everyone I would hope). I can edit any players name to whatever I want and the game lets me.

I would go ahead and dredge up the worst of the free agents (IE guys no one knows) or edit some of the guys on your team to whatever names you want. You can't change faces, but you can change heights/attributes/gear. It's not exactly what you want.

Or, since you're only two games into this, you can start it over again (with created players of your choice put on the Hornets roster before the MyLeague). Since you already made the trades above, you know what you want and how you got it, so re-engineering it won't be difficult.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
First off -- following. I'm honored to have inspired you.

Secondly, as for getting players in from Coach J. college days, since you're in MyLeague you have ultimate control of the roster (at least I do, anyway -- I'm on PC, but it should work the same for everyone I would hope). I can edit any players name to whatever I want and the game lets me.

I would go ahead and dredge up the worst of the free agents (IE guys no one knows) or edit some of the guys on your team to whatever names you want. You can't change faces, but you can change heights/attributes/gear. It's not exactly what you want.

Or, since you're only two games into this, you can start it over again (with created players of your choice put on the Hornets roster before the MyLeague). Since you already made the trades above, you know what you want and how you got it, so re-engineering it won't be difficult.
Thanks for the ideas. My time is somewhat limited, so I don't feel like throwing away what I've done (I know, I know, sunk cost and all). I'd actually started what you suggested: find a scrub who kinda looks like my college guys, and make them. I'll end up making 7 guys: 1 from Eastern Illinois, 2 from Boise, and 4 from Wisconsin.

I was thinking of letting them sit as free agents for some amount of time, as it would be more realistic for them to have been drafted by another team. How long into the 1st season before the CPU starts signing players? Or would you recommend I just assign them out as appropriate?

With the draft, there are 1-3 players from my team that will end up in next year's draft. I'll probably choose one of the players during the season, start pretending he's one of my guys, and will edit him once drafted. For future seasons, I'll make sure to import an edited draft class.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:12 AM   #7
MVP

studbucket's Arena

It's early, but we already have a pretty big injury: Blake Griffin out for 2-4 months with a broken kneecap.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:22 AM   #8
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Here are the 7 players I "made" (by editing existing players) who are free agents. I took their ratings as college seniors and brought them over exactly as is. However, if their overall was higher than their college potential, I knocked them down a bit. For example, Hope Law was an 86, but he had a B- potential (max of 83). So I decreased some of his attributes. I'm going to let these guys sit in free agents for a bit before I try to pick any of them up.

I believe that Joey Fletcher, Hope Law, and Chief Bing were all drafted (according to CHoops 2K8), meaning it's not super realistic for my team to have any of them given the last 3 draft picks were Gill, LJ, and Zo. However, the other 4 guys are fair game, provided they're still around in a few weeks.

Romain Martin - Eastern Illinois

Paul Noonan - Boise State

Wallace Anrin - Boise State

Chief Bing - Wisconsin

Tommy Camper - Wisconsin

Joey Fletcher - Wisconsin

Hope Law - Wisconsin

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »