Home

Juan Carlos Balestrieri [MY PLAYER MODE]

This is a discussion on Juan Carlos Balestrieri [MY PLAYER MODE] within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 13
Juan Carlos Balestrieri [MY PLAYER MODE]

The Juan Carlos Balestrieri Story
We never believed we would see anyone surpass Michael Jordan, we were proved wrong!

There was never any sort of hype or believe that Juan Carlos would come into the NBA and surpass the likes of Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. He proved everyone wrong. When the 19 year old kid from The Citadel (wherever that is) came into the NBA standing at 5 foot 7 and 145 lbs, nobody believed he'd be anything more than a cool name and a one year fixture in the association. Then again, after Kobe's 7 point opening season, no one thought he'd succeed either. He proved everybody wrong and it is my honor to write the introduction the story of Belestrieri.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Juan Carlos Balestrieri [MY PLAYER MODE]

Stars versus the Elites! The Rookie Showcase

We're in the Madison Square Garden, the MSG for Heaven's Sake. Home of the New York Knicks. Thousands of screaming fans watching the future of the NBA. Mister Steve Kerr and a bunch of other no names introducing us. It was a dream come true to say the least. It was my chance to shine in front of the world on national television, some scout had convinced the NBA to assign me to the showcase and while I was projected undrafted, I intended on changing that. My height made me an obvious point guard but I'd definitely consider myself within the Jimmer Fredette mold of things, I'm a scorer first. Threes and mid ranges always go in. Of course, you don't expect this lil' guy to drive in with 6 footers staring me down do you. Then again, my afro made me look like I met the 6 foot NBA standard. I was starting in front of the likes of Kyrie Irving, and opposite to guys like Jimmer Jammer, mister AAU, Brandon Knight. Was it some kind of sick joke? Place this nobody against and in front of these lottery picks. Whatever, time to prove these people wrong!

When that first shot went off, that one handed, no support shot fade-away, every body jumped up. Not to see if it would go in but to laugh. In fact, the players laughed as well, thankfully I redeemed myself by grabbing a defensive rebound, although it still didn't make up for the fact that I made a mockery of myself. I was surprised the coach never subbed me off but when I saw his comical face I knew he was setting me up to be embarrassed. It worked too. Two more missed shots, two turnovers, and I got blocked too (although I got the ball back and jacked a three that went in). All this within three minutes of the game. The team lost respect for me along with that, sure they let me bring the ball up but once I passed it, I never got it back. Hell, they ignored me off the fast break too (all open at three point line). Coach finally subbed me off with three minutes to go and I thought the JCB show was finally coming to an end. It wasn't, a minute or so later, I was back in the action. At shooting guard, facing mister Fredette. Irving seemed to feel sorry for me and gave me the ball a few times, I missed all of them though. Fortunately, the only time Jimmer got a three, I was in a mismatch with Williams but my future didn't look too bright.

My second quarter did start with a highlight though, I showcased my passing ability to Chris Singleton in a gorgeous fast break alley-hoop... if I do say so myself. The show started heating up in the second quarter for sure, to go along with my assists, a three pointer and a nice mid range jay. It was time to show the scouts what I was all about. It continued into the stretch, Irving was suffering but I was sky rising, this was my quarter and I wasn't letting anyone take it away from me. The commentators acknowledge the improvement too, commenting that despite the under-size, the fundamentals were clearly there. Irving eventually left to put me back in charge and I never stopped. Of course, it didn't help my case when Burks blocked an open lay-up but my skills were still bright in the lights. After 13 minutes of play time in the first half, I had 14 points (2 three pointers), 3 rebounds and 4 assists to go along with 50% shooting, let's forget the 2 turnovers. The scored board showed us behind three points.

A scout told me what he thought of my game, complimenting my scoring, rebounding, efficiency and passing (5 stars other than scoring which was 4 stars). My team play was all but average (3 stars) and my turnovers and defending was terrible (1 stars).

How did I start my third quarter. 3 missed shots, one turnover. We were all playing terribly to be honest though. They were simply dismantling us. After a free throw, I lest for most of the third quarter only to come back near the end of it. End of the uneventful third? 65-47. I think it's time to call for a retirement, don't you?

We did get a nice 8 - 2 run going but a time-out looked to kill our momentum. By that time I only had 4 more points and an assist than I did in the beginning of the third so things weren't going well to say the least. Our biggest problem was me. I couldn't keep up with Brandon Knight, the man was dissecting me like a lab rat. 21 points on 10-14 shooting, 6 rebounds, 7 assists, Burks killed me when I was on him too. I needed to improve if I wanted to make it far in the NBA. If there was still an NBA for me to go to. The horrible second half continued, 5 turnovers I had with three minutes still left. I had theoretically caused my team 10 points. My terrible defense got the chance to get worse as well, mister Vesely (who should rightfully be a power forward at the very least) got the chance to play on offense against a man over a foot shorter than him. How the hell did they expect me to guard him on the post, I don't know. Maybe the joke was on again. Second time he did that, I called a double team and Irving thankfully came to my rescue. I have to say that he became a good friend after this game alongside Klay Thompson. Despite us being down by 20 with three minutes to go. We never gave up. We were down six with 30 seconds left, that's how bad we wanted this. The crowd was also behind us. Unfortunately, we couldn't complete the comeback. Despite the 4 point difference, time was against us. Even fouls just worsened the differential. No one would doubt our determination though. The game ended 82-75. I finished with 26 points (10-25, 1 more than opponent), 3 rebounds and 7 assists. While my three point shooting was down to 50% that was merely because of the buzzer beater/late game jack-ups. The five turnovers would definitely be a turn off but I figured if Wall could do it, why couldn't I?

It was time to get to the interview session. This was all or nothing, last chance at getting up there.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Rookie

Charlotte Bobcats

The Charlotte Bobcats visited next which awfully surprised me considering they were highly expected to bring in Bismack Biyombo or Kemba Walker. They carried both the seventh and ninth picks after a complicated trade that had sent Stephen Jackson away. Nonetheless, I didn't want to be here, he had D.J. Augustin and if he chose to draft Kemba as well as me then there would be a serious conflict of interests going on the team.

He cleared any belief that I could start with his first sentence but there was a hint of interests in my talents and what I could bring! "I feel like we have our point guard of the future in D.J. Augustin, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't look at all available options in the draft. How do you think you compare to D.J.? To be honest with you, Augustin had never been an amazing talent, I felt I could or was better than him and he would be better off as a back-up to my talents. Arrogance wasn't going to help me here however. I didn't want to play in Charlotte in the first place though, I wasn't a fan of Michael Jordan to be quite honest with you. I was more of a Kobe kind of guy. So playing under the Greatest of All-Time wasn't in my mindset at the time. "Man, I like D.J.'s game a lot. I really do. (I really don't!) Ultimately, I think I'm going to be a much better pro than he is. I've got the physicals (who was I kidding?), I've got the smarts, and I've got the killer instinct necessary to take over a game. That being said, I'm not really interested in coming to Charlotte and having to fight for a starting role. I'm a better player than him."

As usual, these guys never get the message and he continued on with the interview. "As a younger team, I feel like we have a lot of opportunities for you. I'm here to tell you that you have a chance to be our franchise centerpiece if you put in the work. How many other teams can offer you that? That being said, we still have a couple years ahead of us where we are going to be acquiring young talent and assets. We might struggle a bit in those years. Are you going to be able to remain focused during the rebuilding years?" It sounds amazing right? Read in between the lines though. He mentioned seeing August as their point guard of the future, right now, it felt like he was just looking for his back-up point guard and was doing anything to reel me in. I don't think he actually saw me as the centerpiece. I did want to be the centerpiece though. Furthermore, the opportunity to grow with a team would be great considering I had a lot of time to use to get better. "Yes but with a caveat. If the direction of the team keeps changing towards becoming a contending team, I will be happy being a part of the rebuilding process. If I start to feel like decisions are being made because of money instead of talent, chances are I'm going to start becoming unhappy." His words showed clearly that I wasn't going to Bobcats, he wasn't impressed, that was for sure. One more interview left and I could only hope that it was a team with a great fit.

Last edited by Undead; 03-23-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Rookie

Utah Jazz

The Utah Jazz had great history but it simply never won an NBA championship. 2 conference titles but those only brought disappointment in the finals. From the John Stockton & Mailman era to the Deron Williams & Boozer era, Jazz were never able to reach the very top. Oddly enough, they ended the latter era early by letting Boozer go and getting rid of D-Will for Devin Harris. While Harris was good, he was no superstar point guard.

The Jazz visited me and I had some interests in the team. Sure, Devin Harris was better than Augustin at the moment, but he hadn't shown any centerpiece signs, if I could get there and show them that I could do wonders with the likes of Paul Millsap, Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors and the rest of those amazing forwards then we could definitely go somewhere. I doubted they would draft me with their third so chances was, If I was coming to this squad, they were getting me 12th. Also meaning I'd pair up with Derrick Williams (who I didn't really talk to) and Enes Kanter (who I didn't get along with) "I really think the first place to getting this franchise back on track is to find and develop our point guard of the future. (Essentially meaning they weren't looking for an immediate Kemba Walker or Kyrie Irving). The point is the one position that can really make or break a team, and change the overall direction of the franchise. Looking back at the Hornets, look at what Chris Paul did for that team. We want a point guard who will do the same for us (idiots, you guys had Deron Williams who in my opinion was better than Paul), and we think you might be that guy(Hallelujah). Convince us of that." Convince this, I put on my greatest egomaniacal act on and replied "Okay, look I know you're going to talk to some of the other point guards in the draft, but none of them are going to have my work ethic, my character, my dedication, and my sheer will to win (notice how I never said I was more talented). I'm eager to be the face of a franchise, and I don't want to do it anywhere else but in Utah (actually, it would be nice to play in Canada). I really feel like I would fit in nicely with this roster." The only way he wasn't drafting me was if someone else drafted me. That's how confident I was.

"We realize that here in Utah, we don't have the appeal of a Los Angeles, or a New York, or a Chicago. We tend to look for players who would be proud to be a part of this organization. Someone who can really take pride in being a member of the Utah Jazz. Someone who is willing to spend their entire career (I'm a F****** rookie and they're telling me this.) as a member of the Utah Jazz. Are you that person?" Never in my life had so much pressure been placed on me, did they expect me to be the next Reggie Miller? Kobe Bryant? They didn't want a LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony, that was for sure. I didn't know if I wanted to make that decision yet. I had to be honest and this might cost me my chance at the Jazz "I don't know to be honest. I'm still so young. I haven't even played a single minute in the NBA yet, so I don't feel that I can tell you with any certainty that I am going to play my entire NBA career for one team." His reply was enigmatic, mentioning knowing what decision he would make come the draft. It's time to go home and prepare for tomorrow.

I read the mock draft before going to sleep. They recognized me as an excellent outside shooter who plays with a high level of intensity and passion. Those are "you have a lot of heart" comments, not you are talented comments. Apparently my arrogance knew no boundaries, apparently I felt like other players couldn't be as talented as I wise. The obvious other weakness was being tremendously undersized for the NBA. Furthermore, a drive and dish game was lacking. My lack of experience, which was true enough considering I hadn't played college ball, caused me to be a bit uncontrollable with the ball. They had me going to the Warriors and I could only hope that they overlooked me in favor of someone else.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Rookie

NBA Draft

I sat all suited up in a pink and white merging. Surrounded by my mother, three sisters, an older brother a father and an uncle, needless to say, I had a lot of support. It would be awfully terrible if I got undrafted though. The impression I got was that I'd be making it into the lottery but getting into a team would be good enough for me. I talked to Klay Thompson quite a bit who mentioned similar teams being interested in him, Irving was nearly guaranteed to go to Cleveland but Williams's 20 point game at the showcase could easily upstage that. Leonard who blamed me for the loss at the showcase didn't help but laugh at me being here, unbelieving that I'd be drafted. Kanter was of the same mindset.

Stern spoke in his usual stale and boring speech and I knew I'd have to restrain myself from insulting Stern in my possible career. First to be drafted was evident... Kyrie Irving. We shook hands on his way and I congratulated him. Kanter went early at the third much to my hatred, he went to Utah Jazz. Oddly enough, Thompson surprised me by being drafted so early by the Cavaliers. How the hell did he get such an upset? Bobcats chose to send their first picks to Bismack Biyombo as was expected. Meaning if I went to Charlotte, there would only be one competition in August. Walker ended up going there instead however. Knight went far later than I expected after he destroyed me, this time going to the Pistons. Guess who didn't get drafted by the Golden State Warriors. ME! Instead, a good friend of mind did, Klay Thompson, we shook hands and hugged. He'd have his work cut out for him, but his deadly threes would certainly help him out. The Utah Jazz milked every last second of their time until Stern came out from the backstage and announced it out loud "At the 12th overall draft pick of the NBA draft... the Utah Jazz select... Juan Carlos Balestrieri (he butchered my name but I was too happy to care)." I came up the ramp with a huge smile on my face and shook hands with Stern while the hat laid awkwardly on my huge afro.

I was sat down for an interview minutes later. "Honestly, this was an amazing ride... or should I say is already an amazing ride. A month ago, I wasn't expecting to be here, sure, I would go undrafted and possibly impress people enough to sign me to a league minimum contract. When I was invited to the showcase it was an amazing experience. I made friends in Klay & Kyrie and I'm happy for them. I also got to show what I had in my arsenal, sure I had five turnovers but imagine what I can do when I get used to my teammates. Those 26 points and 7 assists I think it was, were definitely a nice attribute too. A few teams came to see me and to be honest, Utah was where I was hoping to go. That team has so many opportunities for me to grow, and behind a guy like Devin Harris, I can learn the game. It's also a chance to improve my relationship Enes Kanter. Despite the alley-hoops you saw at the showcase, we didn't get off to a good start so this is an opportunity for us to actually get to know each other. I also want to wish Leonard all the best because as we've just heard, he isn't a lottery draft pick." She asked about the number I would wear knowing I had worn 4 different numbers in high school. "Oh I intend on wearing number 25, you see, Kobe one-upped Jordan at number 24, I intend on one-upping him at number 25!" This drew me attention but most merely believed it was me shooting bull out of my arse.

Kanter was definitely unhappy to see me go to Jazz but we were teammates for the next 2 years at the very least unless I was traded. With that said, my contract included a cool 1.74 million dollars for 2 years with a team option going. Mom & Dad would definitely be moving to Utah with me. I wonder how the weather is over there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Rookie

NBA Draft

If Enes Kanter thought only his face would be seen across the city. He was wrong, guess what I saw while going through the city, it's pretty much screaming out loud, "GET TICKETS TO GO SEE THE AMAZING MIDGET":

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a whole bunch of posts in a short span of time, I was writing them all as I played though, posts should come less fast now. I just got in the NBA mood and decided to combine my itch with writing, although non proofread writing, still writing nonetheless. So here's the career of mister Juan Carlos Balestrieri! Let's wish him good luck shall we.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »