Home

Lucky Number Seventeen: A Toronto Raptors Franchise

This is a discussion on Lucky Number Seventeen: A Toronto Raptors Franchise within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
MVP

StraightBaylien's Arena

OVR: 12
Lucky Number Seventeen: A Toronto Raptors Franchise

Lucky Number Seventeen: A Tornonto Raptors Franchise

So the Dallas Mavericks defeat the Miami Heat in six games to claim a title, proving that team play truimphs over star players, and given the right
chemistry, any team can win it any year... The Raptors have been in Toronto for sixteen long, virtually winless seasons... could this be Lucky Number Seventeen?

In the aftermath of losing Chris Bosh, the Raptors put on an abyssmal 22-60 (.268) 2011-12 campaign, but upside is not far off the Tornto Natives feel.
Power forward Ed Davis and shooting guard Demar DeRozan are the faces of this upside. Given Davis' size, strength and potential, and DeRozan's unbelievable athleticism and constantly improving jumper, the duo is looking to be a foundation in Toronto for quite some time.

"After playing last season, seeing every crowd, every team, every arena, every different atmosphere, it was eye opening when I caught myself thinking 'Man, I wish my fans were this excited' then I realized, we just have to give them something to be excited about! And that's what we're gonna do. I have dreamed my whole life about getting to the NBA, and now that I'm here, my team is looked at as a joke? Nah, that's not the case anymore, trust me, Toronto is here to stay, and I'm here to stay." - Ed Davis

Trade rumors were flying around Toronto like fireflies after the draft.
Flashing here and there, taunting the natives of Toronto with talks of players like Chris Paul, David West, Jamal Crawford, 'Big Baby' Glen Davis, or Shannon Brown to be signed...

In the 2011-2012 Free agency the Toronto Raptors made the following signings...

Aaron Gray
Gary Forbes
Gani Lawal

Nothing to make too many Raptors fans rejoice...
Another boring free agency the Raptors faithful thought, but then controversy began to arise...

Andrea Bargnani took offense to the fact that Toronto drafted yet another big man in Jonas Valanciunas (5th overall) and demanded a trade. When asked about the situation, General Manager Bryan Colangelo had this to say...

"Look, we love everything that Andrea has done for this orginization. We drafted him number one, we know he's special! But Andrea has been, at times overly, critical of the orginization and his role in it. We have to give our guy what he wants, even if what he wants is not to stay with us."

In this wake, Andrea Bargnani was packaged in a 3-Team Trade and sent to Golden State in exchange for Andris Biedrins and a 1st round 2012 pick.
The third team in the draft, the Utah Jazz, sent their speedy guard Devin Harris to Toronto in exchange for Jose Calderon and a 2nd round 2012 pick.

Two days before the start of the season the Raptors signed shooting guards Terrico White and Willie Warren to back up Demar DeRozan at the 2.

Toronto Raptors Depth Chart - 2011-12

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGDevin HarrisJerryd Bayless

SGDemar DeRozanTerrico WhiteWillie Warren
SFJames JohnsonLinas KliezaGary Forbes
PFEd DavisAmir JohnsonGani Lawal
CJonas ValanciunasAndris BiedrinsSolomon AlabiAaron Gray

After a very successful off season campaign, aimed to get the fans back into the Air Canada Centre (entitled "THIS THANG IS OURS") the fans once again began to show support in Toronto, selling a record amount of pre-season tickets, full season ticket passes and merchandise.

It is official, the fans have backed their team and voice their opinion that this could be the Raps year...

************************************************** *************************************

FRANCHISE INFORMATION:
Rosters: Ultimate Trifecta by vtcrb
Draft Classes: Trifecta 2012 V2
Sliders: Ultimate Trifecta
Level: HOF 10 Minute quarters
Game Speed: 40 Player Speed: 35
Real FG%, Real FT%

************************************************** *************************************

Matchup Preview | November 2, 2011
@
Philadelphia 76ers
(0-0, 0-0 Away)

Toronto Raptors
(0-0, 0-0 Home)
Projected Starters
Jrue HolidayPoint GuardDevin Harris
Evan TurnerShooting GuardDemar DeRozan
Andre IguodalaSmall ForwardJames Johnson
Elton BrandPower ForwardEd Davis
Spencer HawesCenterJonas Valanciunas
Injury Report
Game Notes
The Raptors are going through an overhaul of their roster and hope to kick the season off the right way when they host the Philadelphia 76ers in the opening game of the season. Stay tuned...

Last edited by StraightBaylien; 06-24-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
MVP

StraightBaylien's Arena

Re: Lucky Number Seventeen: A Toronto Raptors Franchise

THE RAPTORS BLOW HOME OPENER

The Raptors could not pull out the home opener and fell 92-77 again Philadelphia on Wednesday night. After a great first half where the Raptors only trailed by two, they came out slow in the 3rd only to score 11 points in the entire quarter. This proved to be the reason for the loss as both teams played about even in the 4th... Andre Iguodala dropped 28 on the road to victory for the 76ers...

Philadelphia 76ers at Toronto Raptors
Nov 2, 20121ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Philadelphia (0-0)2719212592
Toronto (0-0)2321112277

The Raptors look to turn things around on Friday night when they go to the Quicken Loans Arena to face Kyrie Irving and the Cleveland Cavaliers...

CURRENT RECORD: 0-1 (0-1, Home)

Matchup Preview | November 4, 2011
@
Toronto Raptors
(0-1, 0-0 Away)

Cleveland Cavaliers
(0-1, 0-0 Home)
Projected Starters
Devin HarrisPoint GuardKyrie Irving
Demar DeRozanShooting GuardAnthony Parker
James JohnsonSmall ForwardAlonzo Gee
Ed DavisPower ForwardAntawn Jamison
Jonas ValanciunasCenterAnderson Varejao
Injury Report
Game Notes
Both teams suffered defeat in their opening games, Cleveland loss to Boston on the road, and Toronto to Philadelphia at home. Now, in Cleveland's home opener they plan to start the Raptors off 0-2 on the year, Ed Davis, Devin Harris and Demar DeRozan look to foil these plans... Stay tuned.

JAMES JOHNSON GOES FOR 29 AS THE RAPTORS BEAT THE CAVALIERS IN AN OFFENSIVE CLINIC, 121-111

After both teams lost their opening games, it looks as if they were both looking to prove something, and they did just that as both teams shot over 60% in the second half. People who witnessed this game are calling it one of the best offensive (or worst defensive) games they've ever seen. After a grueling shootout for the first three quarters, the Raptors were finally able to gain some momentum and grab a 10 point lead with about four minutes to go and never let it slip...

Toronto Raptors at Cleveland Cavaliers
Nov 4, 20111ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Toronto (0-1)31292932121
Cleveland (0-1)22293327111
Toronto Raptors
STARTERSMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Devin Harris3711-201-39-1251221232
Demar DeRozan157-110-10-06100014
James Johnson3611-151-16-105201129
Ed Davis316-90-01-110101113
Jonas Valanciunas234-80-01-1810129
BENCHMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Jerryd Bayless284-61-22-40310311
TEAM TOTALS48-783-922-3343284511121
Cleveland Cavaliers
STARTERSMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Kyrie Irving267-122-52-22721218
Anthony Parker228-143-50-04100019
Alonzo Gee306-162-80-20110014
Antawn Jamison302-80-21-2520005
Anderson Varejao357-100-03-311011117
BENCHMINFGM-A3PM-AFTM-AREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Daniel Gibson197-143-60-01310317
TEAM TOTALS46-9412-337-103720727111

CURRENT RECORD: 1-1, (1-0 Road)

BREAKING NEWS

Demar DeRozan took a fall in Friday night's game in Cleveland after a made jumper. It seems he strained his lower back and will miss anywhere from 2-4 weeks of playing time. This is unfortunate for Raptors fans as DeRozan scored a game high 18 in their opening game, and had 14 points in the 15 minutes he played in Cleveland.

Terrico White has been named his replacement in the starting lineup, thus leaving Bayless on the bench to still provide second-unit points and assists.

NEXT GAME: @ MIN (0-2)

Matchup Preview | November 5, 2011
@
Toronto Raptors
(1-1, 1-0 Away)

Minnesota Timberwolves
(0-2, 0-1 Home)
Stats Comparison
99.0Points Per Game99.5
101.5PPG Allowed108.5
.524Field Goal %.422
Projected Starters
Devin HarrisPoint GuardRicky Rubio
Terrico WhiteShooting GuardWesley Johnson
James JohnsonSmall ForwardMichael Beasley
Ed DavisPower ForwardKevin Love
Jonas ValanciunasCenterNikola Petrovic
Injury Report
Demar DeRozan
Lower Back Strain (2-4 weeks)

Game Notes
After a strong showing from Devin Harris and James Johnson in the win vs Cleveland, the Raptors are back on the road playing the winless Minnesota Timberwolves. The Wolves look to make their home record .500 on the year, and their overall record respectable... Stay tuned.

Last edited by StraightBaylien; 06-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
MVP

StraightBaylien's Arena

Also, I will be doing press conferences after the games, and interviews in between games, but I had already played these two, so I figured I'd post them. Off to play the MIN game now, will post the box score and press conference either tonight or tomorrow!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
MVP

nuka's Arena

Nice read.
Following
Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
MVP

StraightBaylien's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuka
Nice read.
Following
Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it!

RAPTORS UPDATE

After a good practice trying to get their rotation perfected for the game against the Wolves, coach Dwayne Casey has a new found love for Gani Lawal's game. Not so much in the offensive or defensive aspects, just his raw energy and hustle, not to mention outstanding rebounding abilities...

"I don't know how I haven't noticed it in other practices... the kid is an Energizer Bunny, he just keeps on going...", Casey said in response to who would be getting increased minutes, aside from White, in replacement of the injured DeRozan, "We understand that practice time minutes and game time minutes are two completely different levels of play, but I've seen enough out of him to take him at least off of injury reserve... at least until Demar can make a comeback..."

Dwayne Casey has said that Terrico White will get the start against Minnesota, but his minutes will still be limited, thus giving more playing time to role players such as Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes and the aforementioned Gani Lawal.

When asked about the Raptors organization, Lawal had the following to say...

"This is the most professional atmosphere I've ever been in... yet it is also the most personable. To hear a coach go out of his element and really brag on someone like that... it really hypes you up and makes you want to achieve. Given a shot, I'm gonna give it my all in Minnesota"

OTHER LEAGUE NEWS

CHICAGO--Derrick Rose took a hard hit from Atlanta's Josh Smith in a home loss and separated his shoulder. He is expected to miss no more than a month of NBA action.

ORLANDO--Hedo Turkoglu has been suffering from flu like symptoms and is a game time decision for the ORL/PHI game on Sunday.

GOLDEN STATE--Richard Jefferson landed gingerly on his ankle jumping for a rebound on Friday night and will miss 2-4 weeks.

Last edited by StraightBaylien; 06-21-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
MVP

StraightBaylien's Arena

RUBIO, T'WOLVES GET FIRST 'W' OF THE SEASON AGAINST TORONTO, 83-81

After a slow start for Minnesota, only 15 points in the first quarter, the Wolves used the next 3 quarters as a springboard for momentum. Devin Harris, who struggled offensively despite his double-double (12 PTS, 11 AST, 5-20 FG) fouled out halfway through the 4th, and it was downhill for the Raps from there as 7 turnovers occured in the last 5 minutes of the game. Minnesota grabbed a late lead (also their first lead) with a little over a minute to go, thanks to the steady hand of Ricky Rubio at the free throw line going 7-7 in the last few minutes of the game. The Raptors young Center, Jonas Valanciunas missed 3 FTs in a row which would have put the Raptors up by one at the time. Neither team scored in the final minute of the game, including Jerryd Bayless on the last-second, would-be-game-winning, 3 PT attempt. The Raptors slip to 1-2 on the season, as the Wolves share the same record, but with more momentum attached.

UPCOMING GAMES:
11/7 vs. DAL, (1-1)
11/9 vs. LAC, (2-0)
11/12 @ MEM, (1-2)
11/13 @ OKC, (3-0)

Press conference with Devin Harris, Jerryd Bayless, Ed Davis and coach Dwayne Casey coming right up! Stay tuned...

Last edited by StraightBaylien; 06-21-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
MVP

StraightBaylien's Arena

THE RAPTORS SPEAK WITH THE MEDIA FOLLOWING LOSS TO TIMBERWOLVES

"As impressed as I was with my guys for coming out of the gate so furiously, I was disappointed about how we handled getting a little winded. I could tell players were throwing shots up just assuming 'one of these has got to go in, right?' We really need to work on how to score the ball when both Devin or Jerryd can't be on the floor. This is the first time we've run into that, and I think this heartbreaker is a lesson to, when it happens again, be prepared."
When asked about the inactivity in the paint, Coach Casey had this to say...
"In the first quarter shots were falling. Now they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well, it was breaking down and we didn't prepare a new plan, the shots started missing and we had nothing to fall back on. Ed and Jonas were getting fed more than they're comfortable with I think. They are more... groove players, we don't like to call a lot of plays that purposefuly end in Ed or Jonas scoring, its usually in the flow of things."
A reporter followed with a question about Jerryd Bayless' performance and if he is considering starting him in the following games...
"I think we have our rotation set. Terrico brings great hustle at the two guard position and is an outstanding defender and that is key for success, starting a great defender. We need Jerryd off the bench for the reasons I stated earlier... when a few key guys are sitting, who scores? Jerryd scores. Now the key is to find the combination of players off the bench surrounding him. So to answer your question, no I'm not thinking about inserting Jerryd into the lineup, I am however thinking about my second unit a little bit."
Coach Casey stepped out and in came Devin Harris, Ed Davis and Jerryd Bayless, opening the floor to questions. One reporter asked Devin how he felt his team did tonight.
"I thought we got some great looks tonight near the end there and just couldn't hit shots. Games like this, where you have such a big lead heading into the 3rd, are hard to swallow. And when you have a poor shooting game as I did, its easy to blame yourself for the loss. But we just have to chalk this up as an L, get better for the next game and secure another W."
"I felt that I rushed shots up. I got plenty of loving on the offensive glass and just didn't focus on scoring, it was more about drawing the foul and it can't be. There's gotta be a balance between the two." said forward Ed Davis about his individual performance.
Jerryd Bayless was asked about the comments made by coach Casey
"Starting, not starting, that's not important to me. Winning is important. This game means nothing to me now. At the time, in the moment, its all hype. You're having a great game, helping your team attempt to close it out, then you lose. If I can average 2 points a game, and us win, then that's what I'll do."
Ed Davis closed the press conference on a humorous note...
"We might as well get these two losses out of the way before we go 80-2."
The Raptors have one day off before heading back into the Air Canada Centre to face a Jason Kidd-less Dallas Mavericks. Kidd suffered an elbow injury and will miss some action. Mavericks fans are happy that Kidd is only expected to miss 2-3 games tops.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
MVP

StraightBaylien's Arena

PRE-GAME INTERVIEWS: COACHES

DALLAS MAVERICKS, RICK CARLISLE

Rick Carlisle met with the Toronto media before the game and was asking a variety of question. Ranging from the Mavericks slow start, to Jason Kidd's injury... he had this to say about the latter...
REPORTER #1:"Rick, reports are that Jason Kidd will sit out tonight's game and possibly a few following, what are the truths behind this?"

CARLISLE:"The longevity of Jason's injury is nonexistant. Jason wants to play tonight, but since the injury is on his primary hand, we don't want to take any chances this early in the season. Maybe if we were playing the Lakers, or Boston, we'd throw him in there, but against a lower tier team, we don't want to take a risk. We're gonna let Jason sit this one, and our matchup with New Jersey, out, then he will suit up against Memphis."

REPORTER #1: "Is that confidence or cockiness?"

CARLISLE:"I'm not saying that this team is so bad I want to sit my stars. Trust me, if Jason was 100%, he'd be playing. But like I said, in a game that doesn't hold a lot of implications to it, its too risky."

REPORTER #2:"Rumors are flying around as to who is going to get the start tonight in Kidd's absence... Vince Carter, Jason Terry, Roddy Beaubois are names flying around. Who WILL get the start tonight?"

CARLISLE:"We love the combo of Jason [Terry] and Vince off the bench, so we're going to drop a few more minutes in the laps of Delonte and Roddy, giving Roddy the start, and see how that works out."

REPORTER #3:"Coach, through the first three games of the season, the Raptors have shot 21 more free throws than any other team, what is your plan on stopping their big men from getting to the line?"

CARLISLE:"Well, moving our feet on defense. Not playing defense with your hands and trying to be in position to contest, but not to foul. We have a veteran team here with a lot of young energy, I think we'll be fine."

REPORTER #3:"And what about points in the paint? Toronto is also leading the league in this category."

CARLISLE: "The same thing really. Just staying in front of our man and trying to make life hard for these young kids in the paint."
TORONTO RAPTORS, DWANE CASEY

Before walking onto the floor for the warm ups, the media caught up with Raptors coach Dwane Casey and asked a few questions...
REPORTER #1:"Rick Carlisle said just moments ago that if he was playing a different, maybe as far as better, team they would start Kidd tonight. How do you feel about that?"

CASEY:"I know Rick and he's trying to play mind games. He wants us to be beaten before we step on that floor. Defending champions or not, we feel we can win any game we play in, we just have to play it right. I know Rick, and he's looking at this game as seriously as I am right now. At least he better be or I'm convinced that ring got to his head!"

REPORTER #2:"What is the status of Demar DeRozan?"

CASEY:"He's hurting. You hate to see such a motivated player be limited by injury. I see the pain on his face in practices. Not just the physical pain in his back, but the emotional pain from not being able to contribute. At least not contribute physically, Demar has been very vocal in practices and is learning the game from an objective point of view. I think this injury might be the best thing to ever happen to his game, mentally."

REPORTER #2:"That's interesting you say that this injury is almost a good thing, it didn't look that way on Friday night."

CASEY:[chuckling] "Hey now, cheap shot. But seriously, we have watched the Timberwolves game about five times now. I could probably recite the shots like you could the lines of your favorite movie. Losses aren't bad for a team, it's how you respond to the losses which indicates whether it was or was not a bad loss. We'll see tonight if Friday was a bad loss."

REPORTER #3:"Given the explosion of Jerryd Bayless in that last game, should we expect to see more minutes for him, maybe somewhere in the 30s?"

CASEY:"Well, we lost that game, let's just be clear. Nothing about the game made me want to go patting anyone on the back, at least not yet. Jerryd saw extended playing time when Devin was in foul trouble, now if that happens again, sure Jerryd will see more minutes, but if not, nothing really will change. We plan to keep Jerryd in the 25-28 minute range."

REPORTER #4:"Any butterflies about playing the Champs?"

CASEY:"No. Hell no. Next question."

REPORTER #4: "What are you main focal points for a victory tonight?"

CASEY: "Limit Dirk. I can handle letting players who are not expected to produce big numbers to drop them on us, but if you let someone you know is one of the best scorers in the league and of all time go off... you got problems. It's like you saw it coming and did nothing about it. Really we just have to control Dirk and confidence should be gained. "
After a few more questions, the two teams hit the floor. Tip off is moments away, stay tuned for the game recap!

Last edited by StraightBaylien; 06-21-2012 at 08:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »