Home

Oh, Canada? | The CBL

This is a discussion on Oh, Canada? | The CBL within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
Rookie

Cope Digital's Arena

OVR: 0
Oh, Canada? | The CBL

Hey guys, this new dynasty report will be a little something that I can alternate time with my Utah Jazz thread. This will be based on a fictional Canadian basketball league, featuring 10 teams. The reports will be in-depth behind the scenes looks into these teams, and will follow each one through their season. Because I will be using random/obscure players and made up teams, there will be very little visual aid, so if you can't handle using your imagination and reading, then this might not be your favorite thread. Also between work, more work, and living, I don't get a TON of time to do this, so don't expect a huge amount of posts, but I will try to get to this and my Utah 'chise as much as possible.

LEAGUE SET-UP

10 teams split into three divisions. The divisions will be division one, two and three. Division one will host four teams, while divisions two and three host three teams each. The top teams from divisions two and three move up a division at the seasons end, while the bottom teams in divisions one and two move down a division.

Four teams will make the playoffs each season, the top three teams from D1, and the top team from D2.

EXAMPLE:

Division 1-
1. xToronto- 16-2
2. xCalgary- 12-6
3. xMontreal 12-6
4. Mississauga 9-9 (moves down, misses playoffs, plays in d2 next season)

Division 2-
1. xWinnipeg- 12-6 (moves up, makes playoffs, plays in d1 next season)
2. London- 10-8
3. Edmonton- 5-13 (moves down, plays d3 next season)

Division 3-
1. Brampton- 11-7 (moves up, plays in d2 next season)
2. Fargo Moorehead- 4-14
3. Surrey Delta- 1-17

Play-offs will be single elimination.

Each team will play the other nine teams in the league twice (18 total games).

Each team will have a roster of at least nine players.

GAME SET-UP

Four-10 minute quarters.

NO SHOT CLOCK.
This will put an emphasis on defense, passing the ball, team play, and will keep games close.

So there is the basis for this league, I will introduce you guys to the teams (which have already been noted in the example for the season standings) very soon.

While I tried to use mostly created players for this league, I had to use some current NBA roster holders, so sorry if you see a name you recognize. This league is not meant to be portrayed as a talent filled league, and ex-NBA role players and bench riders will pop up every now and then.

CAP TRACK

Max Vantchev, Edmonton- 1 Game, 8.0 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 8.0 apg, 4.0 spg, .428 FG%, 1.000 FT%

Tommy Harrison, Calgary-
1 Game, 10.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.0 apg, .333 FG%, 1.000 3P%, 1.000 FT%

Jacob Danovitch, Toronto-
no games played

Brandon Gillespie, Toronto-
no games played

Noah Jackson, Toronto-
no games played

DJ Porter, Surrey-Delta-
no games played

Last edited by Cope Digital; 10-24-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Rookie

Cope Digital's Arena

Re: Oh, Canada? | The CBL

-Team introduction-

Calgary Kodiak's
Arena: Bussler Hall (5,600)
2012 Division: One

Star Players:

C/PF- Eddie Fung

Fung is a 6'9" dominant force on the inside. A shot swatter and a terrific rebound, Fung's skill set single handedly puts Calgary in Division One. Fung will get most of his points coming off of the offensive glass, and on pick and roll opportunities. Easily a 15-10 average every night, with the ability to go off against smaller teams.

PF- Brian Scalabrine

Now retired from the NBA, Brian brings his talents to Calgary, where he will most likely sit on the perimeter and pick his spots, while providing rebound support on the inside defensively.

-Starting Lineup-

PG- Corey Joseph
SG- Junior Jones
SF- David Miller
PF- Brian Scalabrine
C- Eddie Fung

Last edited by Cope Digital; 10-17-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Rookie

Cope Digital's Arena

SEASON PREVIEW

Team Rosters
Calgary is ommited because they have been posted above.

Toronto Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGBrandon GillespieCarlos Arroyo

SGCharlie BellTim Bennett

SFJacob DanovitchRicky Butler

PFTom TolbertJason Howard

CNoah Jackson

Toronto is poised to make some big moves in the 1st Division this Season. Fresh out of high school, Brandon Gillespie and Jacob Danovitch have already formed a rapport, looking very comfortable in the pro setting in training camp.

Former NBA player Charlie Bell will play a big part in this teams success, as Toronto will look to him for perimeter presence, veteran leadership and defense as he will be matching up against a solid group of shooting guards in the first divison.

Big man Noah Jackson will also play a large role for this team. Jackson has the ability to score on the inside, but will have to match up one-on-one with centers like Dre Gordon, Jon Leuer, Mosie Perez and Eddie Fung this season. Jackson could be a make or break piece for this team.

Montreal Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGDee WilksSherron Collins

SGEtwaun MooreJim King

SFVlade KursovDom Jones

PFAndres Nocioni

CJon LeuerLuther Rackley

Montreal is hands down the most talented team in D1. Dee Wilks is a break neck point guard who has the speed and vision to cut teams apart in both transition and half court sets. Former NBA players Etwaun Moore, Jon Leuer and Andres Nocioni join the mix, along with Czech product Vlade Kursov.

Former Dallas Maverick Dominique Jones comes off the bench and sharp shooter Jim King can fill in at both guard spots. Montreal has a great mix of youth and veteran leadership, speed and power, inside and outside presence and has all the pieces to win the first division.

Missasauga Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGIsaac KayEarl Boykins

SGDillon MossAntoine Wright

SFJason KaponoJuwad Williams

PFJeff AdrianBrian Cook

CDre GordonJosh Harrellson

Missasauga is a tough name to say, and is going to be even a tougher team to beat. A stockpile of NBA talent lays on this team, plus add in Canadian League vets Isaac Kay and Dre Gordon, and you have a formula for success. Missasauga is going to rely heavily on the score first mentality of PG Isaac Kay, and the pick and roll chemistry they hope will develop between Kay and center Dre Gordon. Dillon Moss is a defensive minded shooting guard, but does not lack fire on the offensive end, and his athleticism makes him a venerable threat in transition.

The bench includes Josh Harrellson, Brian Cook, retired NBA point Earl Boykins and Antoine Wright, all deep threats, which makes Missasauga a very identity rich team. Great perimeter shooting, solid rebounding and inside game, strong backcourt play and aspirations for a 2012 championship.

Winnepeg Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGCharles JenkinsHoward Eisley

SGWilly WarrenTrey Johnson

SFJud BuechlerKevin Lynch

PFLazar Hayward

CMosie PerezVincent Askew

Winnipeg is the early favorite in D2 this season. Mosie "Mo" Perez leads this team into battle. The 6'7" 270 lb. center has been called "fat", "out of shape", and "sluggish", but the guy has a great basketball IQ, and makes his plays based off of smarts rather than athleticism. Despite having a horrible vertical, Perez manages to be a prolific rebounder, and is a terror in the pick and roll game. Teamed up with point guards Cullen Jenkins and Howard Eisley, who split time evenly, Perez could find himself in the thick of the MVP race.

Former Marquette stand out Lazar Hayward hops on board at the four spot, a sign that Winnipeg plans to play small and fast. It will be interesting to see how Perez fits in with the new athletic roster, but it could be a nice balance.

It is worth noting that at 6'8" small forward Jud Buechler is the tallest player on the team.

London Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGJerry SichtingSam Vincente

SGJon McGlocklin Jr.Stephan Graham

SFFlip KerseyDee Carroll

PFEd NealyGarret Siler

CPops Mensah-BonsuKyrylo Fesenko

London has a decent starting lineup highlighted by monster Small Forward Flip Kersey. This team will take some time to develop an identity, as they really have no glaring strong holds. But maybe that is their identity. Kersey is a strong all around player, and Sichting and Mensah Bonsu have a chance to develop some pick and roll chemistry. London has by far the best bench in the entire league, and that alone gives them a shot at winning a championship out of D2.

Edmonton Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGMax VantchevArmon Johnson

SGVon Wafer Willi McCarter

SFDom McGuireJohn Brown

PFGahi LawalMatt Bullard

CRich JohnsonPaul Mokeski

Edmonton is another team with a few NBA players, Dominic McGuire and Von Wafer the highlights. Young point guard Max Vantchev will have the tough task of running this squad, which has no strong scoring presence.

Rich Johnson and Gahi Lawal are two very strong presences on the inside defensively, and they alone could be the key to this teams chances at staying in ball games with better teams. If Johnson and Lawal can stop teams from scoring and give Vantchev a chance to make something happen on the other end, things might work out for Edmonton. With that said, Edmonton is definitely the team in D2 that is looking at a last place finish and a drop to D3 at seasons end.

Brampton Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGAnthony CarterTravis Leslie

SGLuther HeadKyle Weaver

SFRod Higgins

PFDerrick CaracterJon Brockman

CTod MacCulloch

Brampton is a little shorthanded to say the least (So head over to the CBL CAP thread and create a star for Brampton). Brampton has a tough group of guys, a few former NBAers and some talent, but they need more depth, and some guys who can put the ball in the bucket. 36 year old Anthony Carter will run the point and the question becomes how much offense can he produce. The frontcourt for Brampton is offensively inept, and Luther Head cannot score all the teams points, so Carter will need to show the ability to score.

Overall Brampton probably won't be getting out of D3 anytime soon, so this season will probably be used to gauge who on this team they can count on for the future.

Fargo-Moorehead Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGZabian Dowdell

SGA.C. AbombieaRonald Dupree

SFDarrington HobsonDa'Voy Cunningham

PFCorie BlountGreg Foster

CHerb WilliamsJason Collins

Fargo is a stacked team that will begin its rise this season. AC Abombiea is an MVP candidate right off the bat and has the tools to make this team a threat. Dowdell has range and athletic ability at the point guard and compliments Abombieas slash and pass game well. Youngster and former Milwuakee Buck Darrington Hobson brings speed and elevation, is a transistion threat and can hit the three as well. The frontcourt will even out the minutes to four big men, all pretty much defensive stallworts who shy away from the ball.

Most of the scoring for Fargo will go to the frontcourt and small forward, and we may see Fargo go small with Cunningham or Dupree at the four for more offensive firepower up front.

Surrey Delta Roster Depth Chart - 2012

STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGOrien Green

SGKevin SmithAndy Rautins

SFPatrick Ewing Jr.Scott Hastings

PFDJ PorterDJ Mbenga

CBrian SkinnerEarl Barron

Surrey Delta is represented by one face; DJ Porter. Porter is a solid PF who can score, rebound and even distribute the ball on occasion. Porter will see some scoring support from sixth man and former Syracuse standout Andy Rautins, otherwise this team pretty much plays hit and miss with their rosters offensive ability.

Surrey-Delta will most likely fight with Fargo-Moorehead for the right to move up to D2, but ultimately they will have to pull out some amazing performances to beat many of the leagues better teams with this roster.

Season Predictions

CBL PRESEASON AWARDS PREVIEW
AwardPlayerPosTeam
Most Valuable PlayerA.C. AbombieaSGFargo-Moorehead
Rookie of the YearJunior Jones IIISGCalgary
Sixth Man of the YearAndy RautinsSGSurrey Delta
Defensive Player of the YearJon LeuerCMontreal
All-CBA Team
All-NBA 1st TeamDee WilksPGMontreal

A.C. AbombieaSGFargo-Moorehead

Vlade KursovSFMontreal

Eddie FungPFCalgary

Mosie PerezCWinnipeg

Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Rookie

Cope Digital's Arena

Upstart CBL blamed for poor Canadian recruiting class.

The new Canadian Basketball League is being blamed for a rather poor recruiting class for NCAA college basketball teams. Several players who opted to stay at home in Canada and attend domestic universities and play ball for CBL teams had been on NCAA teams horizons for quite some time.

Notable players who opted to stay in Canada were Toronto high school phenoms Brandon Gillespie and Jacob Danovitch. The two players, who were cross town rivals in high school will team up for the Toronto Panthers of the CBL for the 18 game 2012-2013 season. Gillespie had scholarship offers from Loyola (Ill.) and UW-Green Bay, before he decided he wanted to go pro. CBL players all earn the same amount of money, a negotiated %58 of the leagues net revenue. That number is split evenly among players. Projections suggest that players could earn as much as $62,000 in the first season of the league, if the average roster stays at nine players.

For Gillespie it was a no brainer. The cash talked.

For Edmonton native Max Vantchev, the decision was a little more about circumstance. Vantchev had an offer from UC-Santa Barbara, but decided that losing his health insurance, leaving his ailing mother and trying to find work stateside was just not worth the chance at a free education. Instead Vantchev will try to save as much of his salary made with Edmonton as possible to put towards college when is done taking care of personal issues.

CBL teams have been very accepting about catering to young players schedules. Teams have bent their practice schedules around their players college schedules. Danovitch, attending York university has not had to miss a single practice. "I think the teams want to win, and they realize that us young guys can help them do that" said Danovitch.

Back stateside coaches aren't exactly fuming, but they are concerned what this could do to future recruiting classes from Canada. One recruit from Canada who signed with a Horizon Conference team told us; "I guess I'll know if I made the right decision in four years. I think I did. But I guess if in two years they are making a lot of money, and I'm here playing for free I will be a little mad. But I mean, I am getting a really good education, and thats what matters to me, the CBL can't pay me enough money to retire someday, all those guys will either need to get a job or go to Europe to play some day."

If the CBL can reach an anticipated TV deal with TSN to air games, taped and live, player salaries could rocket as high as $100,000, which is the leagues cap on player earnings.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Rookie

Cope Digital's Arena

WEEK 1 PREVIEW

November 1st-

Calgary (0-0) @ Fargo Moorehead (0-0)
Winnipeg (0-0) @ Edmonton (0-0)

November 3rd-

London (0-0) @ Brampton (0-0)

November 5th-

Toronto (0-0) @ Montreal (0-0)

November 7th

Missasauga (0-0) @ Surrey Delta (0-0)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

This is looking verrrrry nice so far. Great job.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
MVP

nuka's Arena

OVR: 12

Looks good!
Can't wait !!! Gonna make Toronto!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Rookie

Cope Digital's Arena

Season Opener Thrills
Fargo-Moorehead stages 4th quarter comeback.

Very rarely are season opening games this exciting. Usually one team comes out rusty, or broken, or overpowered, but in Tuesdays match-up of first division Calgary and third division Fargo-Moorhead, the rust was wore off, both teams were operable and Fargo showed that it was far from "over matched". Calgary came out killing it, shooting guard Tommy Harris scored his teams first eight points (before cooling down and scoring just two the rest of the way) as Calgary hopped out to an early 10-4 lead. Fargo struggled finding shots in the first quarter, A.C. Abombiea shot 1-7 and at more than one point PF Corie Blount seemed like the most impressive weapon they had.

The second quarter saw Fargo even the ship though, finding offense from Zabian Dowdell, who finished the first half with 11 points on 5-8 shooting. Calgary missed several opportunities to capitalize on mistakes by Fargo, most notably on several missed fast break buckets. As if to match the weak performance by A.C. Abombiea, Calgary's Eddie Fung scored no points in the first half to match his six rebounds. The teams entered the half with the score at 38-32 in favor of the Kodiaks.

The third quarter started as abysmal as the first for Fargo, missing their first five shots of the half, but near the five minute mark in the quarter, Abombiea was pulled, giving Dowdell the full reigns, and after trailing by as much as 14 points, Fargo came within a missed last second three of taking the lead going into the 4th quarter, 50-48.

Very early in the fourth the Bison were able to put themselves in front, scoring on a pair of Abombiea free throws, and getting major uplifting shots by Dowdell. However with about three minutes to go in the game, Calgary hit a 7-0 spurt and started outpacing Fargo. With just over a minute to go Junior Jones hit a three, then stole the ball on the other end and made a layup, all but sealing the game.

Calgary Kodiaks (0-0) at Fargo-Moorehead Bison (0-0)
Nov 1, 20121234Final
Calgary1820121767
Fargo-Moorehead1220161361
Top Performers
Calgary Kodiaks
Junior Jones III- 19 pts, 3 reb, 3 stl, 8/17 FG, 3/9 3PT
Tommy Harrison- 10 pts, 8 reb, 1 ast, 2 blk, 3/9 FG, 2/2 3PT, 2/2 FT
Fargo-Moorehead Bison
Zabian Dowdell- 19 pts, 5 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 8/17 FG, 3/7 3PT
Darrington Hobson- 16 pts, 7 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 7/15 FG, 2/6 3PT
Team Stats Comparison

CGYFMH
FG Made-Att24-6322-63
3PT Made-Att5-135-15
FT Made-Att14-2212-20
Rebounds4239
Assists1616
Turnovers35
Steals53
Blocks65
Calgary Kodiaks
STARTERSMINFG3PTFTREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS
Fargo-Moorehead Bison
STARTERSMINFG3PTFTREBASTSTLBLKTOPTS

Overall the game was a tight game, and it was fun to watch Fargo fight back into a game that by all means they were supposed to lose. Eddie Fung finished with just four points and 12 rebounds, taking only three shots all game. A.C. Abombiea wound up shooting 1-14, and 6-10 from the line. Corie Blount had a decent game at PF for Fargo scoring six and bringing down eight boards, five offensively.

Things we heard:

"Well its apparent I can't play the way I did tonight, I just have to rethink the way I approached this game, and find the things that work for us" -Fargo SG, AC Abombiea (8 pts, 5 reb, 10 ast, 1-14 FG, 6-10 FT)

"I think it was one of those nights where I didn't need to take shots for us to win, I went out there and busted my tail on the glass, got ugly, it worked, we won." Calgary PF, Eddie Fung (4 pts, 12 reb, 1 ast, 1-3 FG)

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »