Home

Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13)

This is a discussion on Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #49
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13)

4-29-2013

Sandy Collins

Was up, Shiners! Guess what?

SUNS WIN, SUNS WIN, SUNS WIN!!!!!!!

Suck it Spurs!

*ahem*

Now that that is out of the way, how about them Suns, huh?

After stomping the Spurs in game five to the tune of 103-75, the Suns came out hot in game six. They were going to shut the Spurs down and do it on their own court! Boy, did they do it too, crushing the Spurs on offense virtually everywhere … the only one they let get hot was Dujain Blair (like he could bring the Spurs back!)

By the time the fourth quarter started, the Suns had a decent lead. Then they decided to curb stomp the Spurs and outscored them 37-19 in the quarter!

I was standing the entire fourth quarter, no lie, as I watched them on TV. My dad was cheering the loudest I’ve heard since the Suns made the Western Conference finals (which seems like eons ago, doesn’t it?).

The Suns got great efforts all around but it was my boy, Dragic, who deserves a lot of the credit for the win I think. Not only was he ultra-super-sexy after the game (he was dressed in such a nice suit … )but he also had 17 points, six rebounds, and seven assists as he dished the ball to anyone with a Suns jersey on. He didn’t have a single turnover and he made Markieff Morris look like Karl Malone-Morris had 15 points in 13 minutes of play!

So, the Suns won and we got some sweet revenge against our longtime rivals.

But the revenge train hasn’t run its course yet. Next up we face those smug SOBs from LA … no, not the Lakers (who were eliminated by the Grizzlies 4-1 … suck it Lakers fans! I bet Dwight leaves!) but the Clippers, who managed to grab the division title from us on that last day.

They swept our punching bags (otherwise known as the Utah Jazz) and have been waiting for us … well, Clippers, we’re coming. The last time we faced them in the playoffs, the series was legendary … I’m much happier to face them than the Lakers-having to crush Steve Nash’s title hopes would be tough to swallow. Having his title hopes crushed by someone else is much easier.

So, with the first game in that series not too far away, get ready, Shiners, to cheer our Suns on! This season is magical, it has to be …

Go Suns and Shine on!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

It only gets sweeter: second round preview

Tim Hardy

May 1, 2013

PHOENIX – The Suns have conquered their longtime rivals, the Spurs, and now face a division rival in the Clippers. Though they are the surprise team of the season, the Suns aren’t the only surprise team left in the playoffs. Here’s the second round preview.

Grizzlies vs. Thunder

The Grizzlies face a familiar playoff foe in the Thunder, who eliminated them in the 2011 playoffs, but the Grizzlies are not the same team that the Thunder faced then. While the Thunder are largely the same the Grizzlies no longer have OJ Mayo, but that hasn’t hurt them during the season. Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph make up perhaps the best frontcourt left in the playoffs, while their bench sports Maurice Speights and Darrel Arthur.

The Thunder still have Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, and James Harden. The midseason addition of Jajuan Johnson has added to the depth of the frontcourt for the Thunder and has served well in his role of sixth man. The Thunder can’t overlook the Grizzlies but with their core three still

together-that may change in the offseason-the Thunder have an advantage that few in the league do.

Prediction: Thunder in six.

Suns vs. Clippers

It’s a battle of division rivals and the Suns are the healthiest they’ve been in nearly two months. For them, this series will come down to Eric Gordon and how consistently performs. That’s been the question all year with Gordon and his consistency has improved as the season has gone along. If Gordon can continue to perform at the high level he has all year, that will open up opportunities for the rest of the Suns.

The Clippers must take better advantage of the Chris Paul/Blake Griffin connection. The season series was a mixed bag for the Clippers as finding holes in the Suns defensive scheme was, at times, tough. With Grant Hill out with a knee injury the Clippers lose a key contributor off the bench, but enter the playoffs with Chauncy Billups still in good shape. If Mr. Big Shot can provide the second unit with some leadership and offense, the Clippers will have an easier time with the Suns than expected.

Prediction: Clippers in seven.

Nets vs. Heat

The Brooklyn Nets are making noise in the playoffs and that’s energized the team and the fanbase. The energy that the Nets started off with this season has reappeared and they matchup very favorably against the Heat.

Deron Williams, being the elite point guard that he is, is someone the Heat have had trouble with all year. Gerald Wallace will gladly take on the task of attempting to lock down Lebron James while Joe Johnson gets to play against a somewhat hobbled Dwayne Wade, who is dealing with a strained groin. Brook Lopez will have a distinct advantage inside as the Heat lack size, besides Chris Bosh.

The Heat don’t play traditionally, however. Expect the Heat to mix it up as far as lineups are concerned and pencil in a big second unit showing from Ray Allen, who is instant offense and clutch off the bench. Miami’s Big Three will likely not dominate the series but their bench, a weakness in the past due to its inconsistency, is filled with shooters and has an advantage against the Nets.

Prediction: Nets in seven.

Bucks vs. 76ers

It’s the ugliest series on paper and likely will be in execution, as two defensive minded squads take to the court to see who is the better. The Bucks upset the Bulls in the first round, winning in six games, while the Sixers had to go seven against the feisty Indiana Pacers. For the Bucks, this is possibly the last time they’ll see Brandon Jennings in their uniform. Jennings is heading to free agency and the Bucks made moves during the season to prepare for that, bringing in Shawn Marion and Jeff Green. Both those additions have been key to their improbable playoff run. Jennings has also stepped up his game, averaging career highs in points and assists. In order for the Bucks to win, they must keep the ball out of Andrew Bynum’s hands and they must attack with Jennings early.

For the Sixers, the season has had its ups and downs. Bynum has performed as expected, but new players like Nick Young and midseason addition JR Smith have had difficulty fitting in with the team. Jarrett Jack, also acquired midseason, is thriving as the resident sixth man. Besides Bynum and point guard Jrue Holiday, the Sixers have few offensive options. In order for them to win they must keep the ball in Bynum’s hands.

Prediction: 76ers in five.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #51
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

5-6-2013

She looked over the newsfeed and smirked to herself. It had started. NBA teams were in the process of hiring and firing people … the first two to be let go weren’t surprising. The Rockets fired Kevin McHale while the Magic fired Jacque Vaughn. Neither had performed well in their stints there. The Magic had also fired their GM while the Rockets were thinking of doing the same.

The offseason had begun for them. It would soon begin for the Suns.
The team was down 0-2 against the Clippers. Dragic had been injured last game, a pulled hamstring, and the Suns offense was struggling to score.

The Clippers were taking advantage of things and Veronica was happy for them. Once the Clippers eliminated the Suns from the playoffs, she could eliminate Andy from the front office.

Her phone rang and she picked it up. “Angela.”

“Veronica.” Her voice was, as usual, rather pleasing to the ear. She was trained to be that. “I got your message.”

Veronica smiled. “Tomorrow night it happens. You know what you need to do.”

There was silence on the other end of the line. “Actually … is it really necessary?”

Veronica’s hand gripped the phone tighter. “What do you mean?”

“I mean … does it have to be how we discussed? There must be better ways to go about it that aren’t so … messy.”

“This is the only way,” Veronica insisted. “We all win here.”

“He doesn’t.”

Veronica grimaced. She had assumed Angela could keep her feelings from entering into the equation. “He’s not important.”

“I know … but he’s not a bad guy.”

“I never said he was. He’s just in the way.”

“I can convince him to leave and go somewhere else.”

“It has to happen like this,” she insisted angrily. “You’re being compensated well … you don’t have much further to go. Tomorrow night will be it for you.” She didn’t need Angela for what came after though it would have certainly cemented things better … but she could do without her. It wouldn’t be nearly as foolproof but it would still get him out of the front office in a way that would allow Robert to save face and for her to get that job.

“All right,” Angela said after a long moment. “I don’t want to be contacted again after tomorrow night. You’ll have everything you need then … but I want to be left alone. Understood?”

“Agreed,” Veronica said with a sigh. Angela hung up and Veronica leaned back, her heart racing.

This could all fall apart.

She would know tomorrow night.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #52
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

5-8-2013

He didn’t feel good. Not at all. Andy pulled himself out of bed and instantly felt dizzy. He sat back down and took a deep breath. He stared at the bottles of booze on his night stand and frowned. “Oh.”

He remembered why he was drinking. The Suns had lost to the Clippers again, going down 0-3 in the series. He wasn’t happy about that. He and Angela had come back to his place after the game and they decided to drink their woes away. It wouldn’t be fun in the morning but they needed a pick me up during the night.

He rubbed his head and squinted out the window. It was raining. “Angela,” he called out.

Maybe she was in the kitchen fixing breakfast. She was always better at taking the abuse of the booze than he was. She constantly referred to him as a “lightweight” and it was true. He just didn’t have the stomach for it. He took a deep breath and stood. The dizziness was less this time and he slowly guided himself out of his room and into the hallway.

“Angela,” he called out again. The lights were all off and there were no other sounds coming from the house. He got to the living room and looked out into the driveway.

Her car was gone.

Andy felt a headache coming on and fixed himself some green tea while trying to remember where his phone was-he wanted to call her, see what was up. After about twenty minutes of searching through the house slowly, his movements still uncoordinated, he found his phone in the couch.

“Twenty missed calls … damn,” he said as he forced himself to sip his tea. He sat down on his couch and dialed Gil up, the last one to call.

The old man answered his phone immediately, unusually for him. “What the hell, kid?!”

Andy set his green tea down. “Not so loud, please … I’m dealing with a massive hangover at the moment.”

“Christ … ”

Andy could hear the concern in his voice. “What’s up?”

“You haven’t seen the news yet?”

“News?” Andy turned on the TV and kept the volume low.

ESPN was running a story … about him.

“ … Andy McCutcheon, the surprise GM hire of the Phoenix Suns earlier this year, has been accused of rape. The accuser has not declared her name but has a lawyer who has issued this statement:

‘My client has been brutalized by Mr. McCutcheon and has proof to that effect that has been submitted to the authorities. We hope that we can avoid any trial, as to not further traumatize my client, but if need be we will go that route.’

Owner of the Phoenix Suns, Robert Sarver, has issued this statement:

‘We are aware of the accusation against Mr. McCutcheon and we are currently assessing the situation. We will not drag this out … if wrongdoing has been found we will cooperate fully with the authorities and take whatever steps needed in order to properly settle the matter.’

ESPN will have more on this story as it develops … ”

Andy stared at the screen, his eyes taking in the images.

“Kid, are you there?”

The panic took over. He knew who that mysterious accuser had to be. “Oh, God … Gil I don’t remember what happened last night after the booze, Angela was here and I don’t remember what happened—”

Gil cut him off quickly. “You didn’t do anything, we both know that. You’re actually more hopeless drunk than you are sober … I believe in you. You need to believe in yourself right now.”

Andy put his hand over his head. “What do I do?”

Gil didn’t take long to answer. “Stay there, lock the doors, and don’t let anyone near you. Sleep off your hangover and let me make some calls … I know a lawyer or two who could help us out.”

“Gil … thanks.”

“Don’t thank me yet … depending on what she has, this could get a lot worse. Don’t leave the house, understood?”

“Got it. I’m sorry … I’m sorry I didn’t listen to you.”

“Yeah … we’ll talk about that later.” Gil hung up.

Andy put the phone down and turned off the TV, trudging back to his room, his mind heavy with worst case scenarios.

Was he going to go to jail?

Was his family going to get dragged through the mud?

He sat down on his bed and looked over at his nightstand, a picture of Angela and him at the All Star game staring back at him.

He picked up the picture and stared at it, tears beginning to form in his eyes.

Why had she done this?

He didn’t know.

He wasn’t sure if want to.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #53
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Suns swept by Clippers: what’s next?

Tim Hardy

May 10, 2013

PHOENIX – The Suns are now out of the playoffs, a close game four loss to the Clippers being the final memory of their surprise season … at least, on the court. The Suns struggled all series with getting their offense in gear in the fourth quarter, being outscored in that time period in three out of the four games.

But what is of more concern to the Suns is the fate of their front office leader, GM Andy McCutcheon, who is in the middle of a potentially nasty situation. McCutcheon has been accused of rape. The evidence has not been revealed to the media, but sources within the Suns organization say that it’s compelling.

The Suns surprise season was thanks, in part, to the brilliant move of Andy McCutcheon trading for Eric Gordon. That trade and the addition of Greg Oden, two moves that at the time appeared somewhat skeptical, allowed the Suns to construct a team reminiscent of the prime Nash years.

The situation with McCutcheon will have ramifications for the Suns in the offseason. Here’s a look at five issues McCutcheon or someone else, should he be fired, will have to deal with.

1. What do with Channing Frye?

Frye is a favorite in the Suns locker room, the organization, and to the fans. The big man is a player who can easily knock down threes just as easily as he can rebound the ball. Frye missed all of this year due to dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition that weakened his heart and made it life threatening for him to play. The medical prognosis since his condition was discovered is still more or less the same … Frye has strengthened his heart but not to the point where doctors feel confident enough to let him play in a game.

Will the Suns keep Frye and hope for his return? Waive him and let his NBA career end? Will Frye risk playing again despite his condition? Whatever the answer to those questions, one thing is clear: a decision will have to be made this offseason.

2. Is Kendal Marshall really the future at point guard?

Marshall did not have a good rookie year and now there are questions as to whether the Suns reached to take him out of desperation to replace Steve Nash. Marshall averaged only 1.4 PPG and 3 APG in 11 MPG this season. The rookie had notable difficulty reading defenses and making smart passes.

Despite this, there is still interest around the NBA in Marshall … will the Suns take another year to let him develop or will they trade Marshall while they can still get something back for him?

3. What to do with Greg Oden?

It’s a tough situation to gauge for NBA scouts. Oden, who has had significant injuries in each of his NBA seasons, finally managed to stay relatively healthy this year, playing in 79 games. In his 15 minutes of play he averaged 6.9 PPG and 4.6 RPG. Those numbers seem to indicate that if Oden saw 30 minutes a night he could average a cool 12 PPG and 9 RPG.

Oden did see a stretch of a few weeks where he was the team’s starting center, but did not have the same production starting as he did off the bench. It will be interesting to see if the Suns retain Oden as a bench player, move him into the starting role-trading Gortat away likely, or trade Oden away.

4. Is Jared Dudley really a starter?

That question has dogged the Suns all season. Dudley has dealt with hamstring issues all year and his production took a hit, but he doesn’t provide much for a starter, at least in terms of stats. He averaged 11 PPG and 4.6 RPG this year, numbers that some sixth men in the NBA best on a nightly basis. Dudley is one of the few above average defenders the Suns have, however, and removing him from the starting lineup will give opposing small forwards the green light to shoot. Will the Suns look for another small forward in the draft or free agency or will they stick with Dudley?

5. Will Amar’e return to Phoenix?

The rumor mill is churning in New York, where Melo and Amar’e are apparently at odds as to how the team should proceed. The Knicks missed the playoffs but Stoudemire returned to his previous form, averaging 21 PPG and 7.1 RPG in 31 MPG. More importantly, Amar’e avoided major injury and played in all 82 games this year.

Despite this, whispers from the Knicks are that Amar’e wants to be back in the starring role once more … Melo is pushing for the Knicks to trade Amar’e. The Knicks don’t have many assets left and are locked into some truly unfortunate contracts for the next few years; Amar’e’s being one of them. The likeliest place for Amar’e to end up in any trade situation is back in Phoenix.

Stoudemire has said on numerous occasions how fond he was of that organization and that no ill feelings are present on his end about what happened in the summer of 2010. The question is will Phoenix take back Amar’e and his contract? Will it make them better? Or is Luis Scola enough?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #54
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Conference Finals preview

Tim Hardy

May 16, 2013

PHOENIX – The NBA playoffs continue to surprise and amaze, especially in the East. Here’s how things breakdown after the conclusion of the second round.

Clippers vs. Thunder

For the Los Angeles Clippers, getting the Western Conference Finals was an easy affair. They swept both the Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns, neither team being able to overcome the devastating Paul to Griffin combo, but now the real test begins. The Clippers have yet to face such a well oiled machine in the Thunder, a squad that seems desperate to win a championship.

That desperation was on full display last night as they beat the Grizzlies by 30 points, giving their home crowd a much needed shot in the arm. The Grizzlies shouldn’t have been that much trouble for the Thunder but the team played inconsistently the entire series, letting the lead in game six get away and giving the win to the Grizzlies.

Now, these two very different squads face one another for the chance to represent the West in the Finals. The wildcard in all this? Russell Westbrook. His play in the Grizzlies series left something to be desired but Westbrook is now facing the premier point guard in the West-and possibly the NBA-in Chris Paul. If Westbrook can use his freakish athleticism to his advantage then the Thunder should expect another trip to the Finals.

If Chris Paul wins the point guard battle, the Clippers have a shot at upsetting one of the favorite preseason picks for NBA Champion. Blake Griffin will be key for the Clippers, his battle with the Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins likely to determine at least one if not two games. Griffin must stay out of foul trouble for the Clippers to capitalize.

Prediction: Thunder in seven.

Nets vs. 76ers

It’s an Atlantic Division throwdown for the Eastern Conference Finals and no one would have predicted both these teams making it this far. The Sixers easily swept the Bucks in the second round whereas the Nets had to battle against the Heat, but they won in six closing the deal on their home floor to an uproarious crowd.

It’s doubtful even Jay-Z could have predicted the Nets making it this far but they have and they’ve done so behind the amazing play of Deron Williams and the emerging Brook Lopez, who has stepped up in a big way in the playoffs. Miami never was able to negate Lopez’s size in the paint despite multiple formations from the Heat, many featuring Lebron at the point.

With the Nets having beaten the defending NBA champions they are now the favorites in the East to make the Finals.

The Sixers are well aware of that and probably prefer it that way as they thrive on the underdog role. Andrew Bynum will face another big man in the East, this time Brook Lopez, and is considered around the league to be tougher than his Brooklyn counterpart. The Sixers are counting on this as they’ll need Bynum to score and hold Lopez back while they force the rest of the Nets to play their game: ugly.

Doug Collins coaches his players to make the other team’s life hell on defense. Expect the Sixers to use their deeper bench to great effect in this series, as Collins won’t be afraid to foul and foul hard to make a point.

Prediction: Nets in six.

Last edited by trekfan; 10-25-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #55
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

5-26-2013

The room was quiet. It was bound to be after what had just been said. Andy sat there, floored, unwilling to believe his ears.

“I’m innocent!” He insisted loudly.

Gil looked down at the table while his lawyer friend, Fred Miller, stared back at him. “I know that.”

“You know it but you don’t believe it!”

“I can’t afford to believe anyone in this business … I’m just representing you.”

Andy’s hand slammed on the table. “Do a better job!”

Miller sighed and pulled a folder from his briefcase. “Do you want to see the pictures?”

The color from Andy’s face drained.

“Accept the offer on the table, kid. It’s the best Fred can do.”

“It is,” Miller agreed. “I worked quite hard to get you this deal … and remember I’m doing this as a favor to Gil here. If not for that, I’d be charging you through the roof.”

Andy bit his lip and motioned desperately for the pictures. “Give me them.”

Miller hesitated. “It won’t do anything for you. I recommend—”

“Give me the God damn pictures!” Andy yelled.

Miller slid them over without a word.

Andy opened the folder and felt his heart sink.

His hands dropped down to his lap as his eyes took in the images. Bruises on her face. Blood on her clothes. Her eyes … fearful. Desperate. Her dress she was wearing that night was in tatters.

“Your DNA was found on her and in her, Andy … I understand you two were involved and that it was consensual but the pictures paint a different story. When she went to the police that’s what they saw.” Miller got up and took the pictures away from Andy. He stood there beside him. “She wants a sum of cash you can’t pay … she wants to settle. Your employer will pay the settlement but will only do so if you agree to leave the organization. He’s put stipulations into this deal that will ban you from working in any NBA front office in the Western Conference. He’s even giving you severance pay.”

Gil snapped his fingers and Andy’s eyes drifted to him. “Kid … you have to take this deal. You can’t fight this in the courts. You’ll lose.”

Andy felt a surge of anger rise up in him. “That’s not for certain.”

“It’s the likeliest outcome,” Miller said. “She has the evidence to back her up, light as it may be. She struck first in the PR battle with the accusation and she is woman, which means that the jury will take her word over yours in this case. Andy, you can’t win this … the best you can hope for is a mistrial. She doesn’t even want a trial, luckily for you. Take this deal and get out of this now, before it gets worse.”

Andy put his head between his hands, trying to make it all go away. “I’m innocent,” he insisted again. “I have a job to do here … I have a team to build, to run.”

“You can’t do that anymore,” Gil said. He stood up and came over, putting a hand on Andy’s shoulder. “You’ve done all you can now.”

Andy looked up at him. “But the people, Gil … they died and I promised them that I’d win for them … that I’d make this team a champion for them!”

Gil gripped his shoulder gently. “I know … but it can’t happen here. Not with you here. You need to take this deal.”

Andy looked back to Miller who dutifully produced the sheet of paper from his briefcase. He set it down in front of Andy and gave him a pen. “Your call.”

Andy stared at it and, his hands shaking, he signed the deal.

Miller took the pen and the paper, his mood much improved. “Good. Within a few days this will be finalized … then it will all be behind us.” Miller left the room.

Andy’s shoulders slumped. “I’m doomed.”

Gil gripped his shoulder tightly.

There was nothing else to be said.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #56
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

The Finals: an unexpected surprise

Tim Hardy

May 28, 2013

PHOENIX – The Miami Heat. The Oklahoma City Thunder. The Los Angeles Lakers. Three of the favorite preseason picks to claim the NBA title now have one thing in common: each is going to be watching them like the rest of us.

The Finals have arrived and with it two distinct storylines.

The Nets, who no one expected to make it this far, surpassed the 76ers in six games. With their victory comes a certain amount of envy from another New York team, the Knicks, who made all the splashy moves-Carmelo, Amar’e, Tyson Chandler, Jason Kidd-and didn’t even make the playoffs. The Nets traded for Joe Johnson, helping the Hawks clear his contract off the books, and then signed Gerald Wallace to a deal that would have been fine … four years ago.

The Nets have made it to the Finals for the first time since the Jason Kidd era. They’ve proven that a change in scenery can do wonders.

Then you have the Clippers. They’ve always been the “other team” in Los Angeles. But thanks to David Stern, they’ve achieved a relevance their fans never thought possible. Billy Crystal must be gloating to Jack Nicholson as we speak. The Lakers fans must be sick to their stomach as they watch their previously misfit co-tenants reach the Finals.

The Clippers are not as glamorous as the Lakers or even the Nets. They don’t have more than a few good years in their franchise history. But Chris Paul and Blake Griffin have changed all that. Veterans like Chauncy Billups and Caron Butler have found new life in a uniform that no NBA player wanted to wear at one point. The Clippers have gone from joke to legitimate. Beating the Thunder in six games has given them an air of confidence never seen before.

For the first time in years the NBA Finals will be a battle of point guards: the debate that has raged on for nearly two years now will finally be settled here. Who is the better point guard? Chris Paul or Deron Williams?

Both have had career years and both play with a young big man and a mix of veterans. Both make their teams infinitely better and both play the point guard game better than anyone else in the league.

That makes picking a winner hard. The Clippers have the better bench but the Nets have a more potent starting five. What this will ultimately come down to is which point guard can hide the deficiencies of his team better.

Prediction: It’s been a dream season for the Nets … the dream continues. Nets win the NBA Finals in six.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »