Home

Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13)

This is a discussion on Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #57
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Fate and Fortune: The Andy McCutcheon Story (NBA 2K13)

Nets crowned NBA champions

Tim Hardy

June 11, 2013

PHOENIX – “This is the best day of my NBA life!” Exclaimed an overjoyed Deron Williams to a raucous, delirious, Barclay’s Center crowd. Williams was named the Finals MVP, averaging 19.2 PPG and 8.4 APG. The Nets beat the Clippers Monday night, 98-94, in a game seven that was electric from the get go.

The game started out with a Chris Paul/Blake Griffin alley-oop, and the crowd was silenced a bit in the beginning of the game. That silence would continue well into halftime, where the Nets were down seven points.

“Of course we were concerned by it but we knew that we were making progress,” said Nets coach Avery Johnson. “We had been down before in this series. We knew what we needed to do to come back.”

The Nets were down the previous game as well at halftime. The Clippers looked to close out the series but the Nets stormed back in the third quarter.

The same script played out here. The Nets came out at halftime on fire from beyond the arc, hitting three quick three pointers and taking the lead. They wouldn’t give it up the rest of the night.

Joe Johnson hit all three of those three pointers. With each one drained the crowd roared. When the Nets got the lead that roar became deafening.

“It was the loudest thing I ever heard,” said Johnson.

The celebration on the Nets home court was one for the record books as the crowd was so loud that the Barclay’s Center sound system had difficulty being heard. New York had finally won a championship again in basketball and it wasn’t the Knicks that did it. It was the Nets.

For the Clippers, their story of being “the other team” continues. The halftime lead evaporated in the third quarter and despite desperate play from Chris Paul and Blake Griffin, the Clippers got little help from the other starting five.

“It hurt … it hurts a lot,” said Paul.

Griffin was similarly at a loss for words. “It was a great season … I wanted this and it didn’t happen.”

As the Clippers try to regroup in the offseason, the celebration in Brooklyn and the greater New York area will continue on throughout the summer.

“It’s been a magical season … let’s do it again,” said Williams to the crowd. They responded with chants of “Brooklyn”.

That will be where the NBA season starts next. Not in Miami. Not in OKC. Not in LA.

It will start with the Brooklyn Nets, NBA Champions.

Last edited by trekfan; 10-26-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #58
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

6-12-2013

The doorbell rang again and Andy, again, covered his head with his pillow. “Go away!” He yelled at whoever was at the door from his couch.

Hard knocks came at the door now and Andy, wanting to make the noise stop, got up and opened it.

He found Gil standing there with a cup of coffee and a disappointed look on his face. “Kid, get dressed. We have a meeting.”

Andy stared at him and grimaced as he walked away from the door and lay back down on the couch. “I’m done, Gil … banished. Tarnished. No one will touch me with a fifty foot pole.”

Gil came inside, shut the door, and said, “Get your butt up and get dressed. We have a meeting.”

Andy sat up and glared at him. “I’m blacklisted.”

“Only by the teams dumb enough to believe Sarver.” He handed Andy the coffee.

Andy stared at it and then back at him. “I don’t drink coffee.”

Gil kicked at the bottles of booze on the floor and then looked back at him. “Will green tea cure you of your hangover?”

Andy’s shoulders slumped. Gil was right. He took the coffee and sipped at it slowly, the hot liquid not particularly good tasting but it did wake him up.

Gil gave him the thumbs up as he motioned for Andy to follow him to his room. “We need to get you dressed.”

Andy followed, slowly, as they entered his room. Gil began to rummage through Andy’s closet as Andy’s mind began to register that he had somewhere to be.

Which meant someone wanted to talk to him.

“Who is it?”

Gil came out of the closet, his hands full of clothes. He tossed them on the bed. “Pick something.”

Andy set the coffee down and crossed his arms. “Gil.”

The old man’s face grew relaxed. “Are you all there? Are you ready for this?”

Andy looked away for a moment. He’d been stuck in … depression, he guessed … since he signed that contract. He felt like he had signed his soul away. He hadn’t done much with himself since then besides drink and watch ESPN.

“Andy, if you don’t want this—”

Andy’s heart leapt and he turned his eyes back to Gil. “I want this. I don’t care who you got me a meeting with … I don’t care if it’s the damned janitor job at the arena. I want back in the NBA … I want back in.”

Gil smiled. “That’s what I like to hear. I recommend you wear something blue.”

Andy shot him a look. “Blue?”

“The Magic.”

Andy stared at him. “The Magic? The same team that traded Dwight Howard for nothing?”

Gil nodded. “It’s why they fired their last GM and why they’re still looking for a new one. No one wants this job … the Magic’s roster is a mess and they have no clue who they’re taking in the draft.”

Andy nodded. “They have the number one pick.”

“And a load of cap room … but they’re directionless and the roster doesn’t have anyone that’ll fetch them anything. It’s gonna take some serious creativity to make them into something and not squander what they have.” Gil tossed Andy a pair of khaki pants. “That’s you.”

Andy took off his pajamas and threw the pants on. “Why do they want to talk to me?”

“I know the owner and I’ve sworn to him that you’re innocent. He doesn’t like Sarver much at all and that makes it easier for him to believe us.”

Andy took off his shirt and threw on a nice blue polo. “And that was enough to get me this meeting?”

Gil chuckled. “Kid, the fact the Magic are the worst team in the league, bungled the Dwight trade, have a barely average roster, and a new arena that barely gets filled is what got you this meeting. They’re desperate … you’re desperate.”

Andy went into the bathroom and stared into the mirror. “A perfect marriage?” He asked himself more than Gil.

“A match made in heaven,” Gil answered.

Andy sighed.

What did he have to lose?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #59
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

6-14-2013

Andy’s eyes darted to the clock.

Five minutes. In five minutes he would know whether he had gotten this job or not. The interview with Orlando had gone well in his mind. He had answered all their questions, even the personal ones, and he was an open book to them. He told them, with no room for misinterpretation, that he would take any test and cooperate with any investigation they wanted to run on him in order to prove he was innocent.

They had taken him up on that offer. They ran a lie detector test on him yesterday.

They liked him. They liked what he did with the Gordon trade, they liked how he brought in Oden, and they liked how Phoenix went from nothing to second round playoff team because of his trades. Orlando was in desperate need of a team that competed and won.

But they didn’t like the PR hit they would take if they hired him. ESPN was already running stories on how his hiring would impact the Orlando community. Of course the stories focused on interviewing women.

Universally they all claimed to hate the idea and they all wished he would go off somewhere and rot.

Andy didn’t like that. He would have to rebuild his image just as much as he would have to rebuild the Magic.

He looked back at the clock.

Two more minutes.

He got up and began to pace.

Gil, who had been sitting there silently the entire time, sat back in his chair. The two were back in Andy’s house in Phoenix … they had spent yesterday in Orlando. The decision was going to be made today. The decision was going to be made in the next two minutes.

“Relax. You’ll get it.”

Andy shook his head. “No way they take a chance on me.”

“Kid, you’re high risk, high reward … you’re a bold move for a franchise that desperately needs one. They’ll call.”

Andy looked back at the clock and took out his phone. “It’s time.”

Gil leaned back in his recliner. “They might be a little late, you know.”

Andy was about to respond when his phone rang.

It was the Magic.

He held it for a second before answering it. The conversation lasted mere moments before Andy hung up.

Gil held out his hands. “Well?”

Andy smiled widely. “Do you believe in Magic?”

Gil got up out of the chair and gave Andy a hearty slap on the back.

“That’s what I’m talking about, kid. When do we fly out?”

Andy took a deep breath, the relief flooding him. “The jet will be here later this afternoon. We just need to be packed.”

Gil smirked. “Lucky I packed last night.”

Andy grinned at him. “And you say I’m the optimist.”

Gil went into the fridge and pulled out two beers, handing one to Andy. “Here’s to the Magic.”

Andy clinked the bottle with Gil’s. “To the Magic.”

It was new start.

A new beginning.

Andy could start fresh. He opened the beer and took a deep swig from it, the refreshing coolness washing over him.

Gil sat back down in his chair. “So, where do you want to start?”

That was a no brainer for Andy. “We need to determine who we’re taking in the draft.”

“Muhammad or Noel?”

Andy sat down, nodding. “I’ve only half paid attention to either of them all year long … we never had a shot at getting them with the Suns.”

“Lucky I pay attention to those types of things.” Gil took a sip of his beer and sighed. “It’s a damned tough call. The Magic are going to concede one of those two guys to the Hawks, who draft right behind them.”

Andy smirked. “I know. It’s not a really pretty option either way. We either give them Noel by taking Muhammad, watching them stack their frontcourt with him, Horford, and Smith at small forward, or we give them Muhammad by taking Noel and watch them score on us to death with him, Horford, and Smith.”

“You’d think they’d trade the pick to us?”

Andy and Gil looked at one another for a moment before both burst into simultaneous laughter.

It was good to talk basketball again … it had been awhile.

Gil pointed at the TV. “Look, ESPN is breaking the news.”

Andy almost unmuted the thing but didn’t as he watched the images on the screen. The images of him running away from cameras. Pictures of Sarver. Signs during the playoffs that made fun of him.

Andy put the remote back down and stared at those images. “This is going to be how it is, isn’t it?”

Gil looked at the TV and then to Andy. “For a while, yeah … but we’ll set them straight, kid. Maybe not right away but we’ll set them straight.”

Andy locked his jaw and nodded.

He would set them straight. Just like he’d set the Magic straight.

He had unfinished business.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #60
Pro

Wait...so you resigned, and picked a new team, which is the Magic? Very cool. Loving the storyline, and thanks for the help in the OS Trade Finder Thread.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #61
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.So
Wait...so you resigned, and picked a new team, which is the Magic? Very cool. Loving the storyline, and thanks for the help in the OS Trade Finder Thread.
That's exactly what I did. Before the playoffs started I resigned and signed on with the Magic, and the storyline reflects this (in much more dramatic fashion). I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far and that I could help ... stay tuned as more is on the way as we get to my favorite part-the offseason
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #62
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

COMMENTARY

Let the dismantling begin: Magic gut roster

Hector Young

June 16, 2013

It won’t be a quiet offseason for the Magic. Not if these past few days are any indication.

The Magic hired embattled GM Andy McCutcheon, formerly of the Phoenix Suns, to help guide their franchise into a new direction because, frankly, former new GM Rob Hennigan had this team heading nowhere fast. Hennigan tried his best to get back decent pieces in the Dwight Howard trade but turned down Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol for bit players, rookies, and picks.

The Magic fans suffered through last year’s abysmal 29-53 record and the new Amway Center was relatively empty. The Magic saw sales go down at the gate and saw profits go down across the board. For the first time in years the Magic had no presence in the public … there was no one on the team willing or able to be the face of the franchise.

That may be true now too but only in the sense that no one player on the team is ready to take that responsibility. New GM Andy McCutcheon is though.

His hiring was interesting a number of fronts. Firstly, the Magic needed a new direction in the front office and needed someone who could work-pardon the pun-some magic with the roster assembled by Hennigan. It was going to take someone willing to take risks and willing to make moves, even if they weren’t necessarily ones everyone liked.

McCutcheon, in his short time with Phoenix, proved that he could do that. From a business standpoint, McCutcheon was good for the Suns. He took them from a potential lottery team to a good playoff squad.

But McCutcheon, much like the roster he inherits, has baggage. The accusations of rape and his subsequent firing from his position in Phoenix tainted his image. Women’s rights groups across the nation have made McCutcheon their focus. His hiring in Orlando has caused local women’s rights groups to call for a boycott of all Magic games. More action from those groups should be expected as the season goes on.

The Magic knew this was going to happen and knew this was going to have ramifications for as long as McCutcheon held the post of GM. The Magic have wagered that McCutcheon’s brilliance in the front office with Phoenix wasn’t a fluke and that his brilliance will lead to wins in Orlando, wins this franchise desperately needs after what nearly everyone perceives as a loss in the Dwight Howard trade.

With McCutcheon, for better or worse, as the face of the franchise at the moment everything he does is magnified, analyzed, and overdramatized.
That’s what he signed up for when he took this job and he doesn’t seem to be shying away from that. Only on the job for two days, McCutcheon has made some significant moves.

In the span of a day he traded away Jameer Nelson, a team leader and one of the few leftovers from the Magic’s 2009 Finals run, to the Bucks for … Beno Udrih? It was a salary dump for the Magic as Nelson was due to make 8 million dollars this season and a similar amount next year. Udrih was unhappy in his role with the Bucks. He’ll likely be just as unhappy in Orlando

but at least it’s sunnier.

McCutcheon followed that up with a big deal to the Timberwolves. He traded Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Hedo Turkoglu, and the Magic’s 2014 1st and 2nd round pick for Andrei Kirinlenko, JJ Barea, Malcom Lee, and the Timberwolves 9th overall 2013 1st round pick.

Now, if you’re looking through the players and wondering what the point of this trade was for Orlando, you won’t find it as far as players are concerned. McCutcheon coolly sent Afflalo to the chilly north for a top ten pick in this year’s draft, which experts are calling just as good as last years.

Seeing Hedo leave again has to make Magic fans happier but seeing AK47, 10 million dollar contract included, arrive does temper that enthusiasm a bit. What exactly does McCutcheon plan to do now that he possesses the first overall pick and this one?

He’s trying to rebuild in one draft. He’s going all-in for this draft alone.

This is the type of move that can get you fired as a GM. It’s only been tried a few times in NBA history and the results are, as always, mixed. The Bulls attempted to do something similar to this in the 2004 draft by taking Ben Gordon third overall and then trading for Luol Deng, the seventh overall pick. Deng was picked by the Suns who sold him away for 3 million dollars and a second round pick.

Obviously, Minnesota made out much better here. They picked up a young wing player in Afflalo who is an instant starter, picked up Turkoglu on the cheap (he declined his player option and resigned with Orlando for 1.82 million dollars), took Al Harrington, and received the Magic’s unprotected 2014 first round pick which could easily be in the top five with the way this roster looks.

The Magic pretty much got bit players and a pick here. AK47 will likely assume the starting role and then be let go next offseason. JJ Barea is nice off the bench and that’s about it. Malcolm Lee may get waved because he doesn’t provide much of anything except defense.

There had been thoughts that the Magic would make a run at a few restricted free agents, notably Brandon Jennings, but McCutcheon doesn’t seem keen on that idea.

“I’m an admirer of Brandon Jennings and the way he plays his game, but I have no intention of offering a contract to him,” said McCutcheon. “The Bucks are going to match any offer made on him and that’s a fact in my mind.”

McCutcheon has made moves and shown he’s still just as bold, just as brash, as he was last season … the question is will this young GM guide the Magic into a future full of wins or more lottery picks?

Only time will tell and the clock is ticking.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #63
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

6-27-2013

Andy’s hands were still sweating. He rubbed them on his pants legs as he pace back and forth in the war room. His eyes looked at the clock. Three minutes until the draft. They were still at an impasse.

“Damn it, Andy, you have to pick Noel!” Gil’s fist slammed against the table.

“We can’t risk him getting away … he’s a future all-star big man!”

Andy ran his hand through his shortened hair. He had gotten it cut for the more humid summer weather in Orlando. “Muhammad is the best talent in this draft.”

“I understand that, but the kid is not a big man … think how many teams would kill for Noel.”

Andy shook his head and emphatically pointed at the scouting reports scattered about the warroom table. “Scouts love his physical tools, but mentally they think he’s another Demarcus Cousins … the kid just doesn’t seem all there. Those are character questions, Gil, and no one wants a knucklehead on their roster.”

Gil scoffed. “You’re going to take Muhammad and bet Noel falls to us at nine? You’re insane. There are teams aplenty who would kill for him before us. We have to take him.”

“I know we do, but not first overall!” Andy glanced at the clock, his heart pounding in his ears. “We have another minute before our pick is due to be in.”

“You’re the GM, not me,” Gil said angrily as he stood and poured himself a whiskey. “But you don’t ignore future big men.”

“And what if we pick an Oden over a Durant?”

Gil shot him a glare. “And what if we let a Dwight Howard slip?”

Both were entrenched. They had been for nearly two weeks now. “The Magic have picked two big men first overall before … both left this franchise in bad shape. I’m not going to make that mistake a third time.”

Gil set his drink down angrily. “You think Noel is gonna leave?”

“He’s a headcase, he might.”

“The kid is a good one … a little overwhelmed by everything but he’s a good one. Once he gets in a stable environment he’ll be fine.”

Andy bit his lip and picked up the phone. He had made his decision. “Muhammad,” he said quickly and hung up.

Gil stared at him and shook his head. “I hope you’re right.”

“If Noel doesn’t fall to us, we can pick up Zeller or McAdoo.”

“And what if they’re not there?”

“Poythress. This draft is deep, Gil … we’ll get an important piece of the future at the ninth spot.”

Gil sighed. “Next year’s doesn’t look nearly as good.”

“Agreed,” Andy said as his eyes locked onto the TV. “Our pick is in.”

Gil looked at it and smirked. “Feels good.”

“Muhammad will be good for us.”

“I don’t doubt that,” Gil said as he sipped his glass.

They remained silent as they waited for their next pick.

While they waited, Andy fielded calls for it. He listened but didn’t budge … he wasn’t convinced by any of the offers he heard.

Gil’s eyes were intently focused on the TV.

Noel kept sliding down the draft board.

The calls from the teams under them grew more frequent. The offers more outstanding.

Andy was smiling as he watched their turn come up.

Gil finished his glass of whiskey and shook his head. “Insanity.”

Andy winked at him. “It’s because we’re that good.”

“What spell did you cast on the other GMs?”

“The same one the Lakers do to make themselves better while screwing everyone else,” Andy said with a chuckle as Gil shot him a look.

He picked up the phone and said, “Noel.”

Their pick was in.

Their future was set.

Muhammad and Noel.

Andy couldn’t wait to see them work together.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #64
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan

6-27-2013

Andy’s hands were still sweating. He rubbed them on his pants legs as he pace back and forth in the war room. His eyes looked at the clock. Three minutes until the draft. They were still at an impasse.

“Damn it, Andy, you have to pick Noel!” Gil’s fist slammed against the table.

“We can’t risk him getting away … he’s a future all-star big man!”

Andy ran his hand through his shortened hair. He had gotten it cut for the more humid summer weather in Orlando. “Muhammad is the best talent in this draft.”

“I understand that, but the kid is not a big man … think how many teams would kill for Noel.”

Andy shook his head and emphatically pointed at the scouting reports scattered about the warroom table. “Scouts love his physical tools, but mentally they think he’s another Demarcus Cousins … the kid just doesn’t seem all there. Those are character questions, Gil, and no one wants a knucklehead on their roster.”

Gil scoffed. “You’re going to take Muhammad and bet Noel falls to us at nine? You’re insane. There are teams aplenty who would kill for him before us. We have to take him.”

“I know we do, but not first overall!” Andy glanced at the clock, his heart pounding in his ears. “We have another minute before our pick is due to be in.”

“You’re the GM, not me,” Gil said angrily as he stood and poured himself a whiskey. “But you don’t ignore future big men.”

“And what if we pick an Oden over a Durant?”

Gil shot him a glare. “And what if we let a Dwight Howard slip?”

Both were entrenched. They had been for nearly two weeks now. “The Magic have picked two big men first overall before … both left this franchise in bad shape. I’m not going to make that mistake a third time.”

Gil set his drink down angrily. “You think Noel is gonna leave?”

“He’s a headcase, he might.”

“The kid is a good one … a little overwhelmed by everything but he’s a good one. Once he gets in a stable environment he’ll be fine.”

Andy bit his lip and picked up the phone. He had made his decision. “Muhammad,” he said quickly and hung up.

Gil stared at him and shook his head. “I hope you’re right.”

“If Noel doesn’t fall to us, we can pick up Zeller or McAdoo.”

“And what if they’re not there?”

“Poythress. This draft is deep, Gil … we’ll get an important piece of the future at the ninth spot.”

Gil sighed. “Next year’s doesn’t look nearly as good.”

“Agreed,” Andy said as his eyes locked onto the TV. “Our pick is in.”

Gil looked at it and smirked. “Feels good.”

“Muhammad will be good for us.”

“I don’t doubt that,” Gil said as he sipped his glass.

They remained silent as they waited for their next pick.

While they waited, Andy fielded calls for it. He listened but didn’t budge … he wasn’t convinced by any of the offers he heard.

Gil’s eyes were intently focused on the TV.

Noel kept sliding down the draft board.

The calls from the teams under them grew more frequent. The offers more outstanding.

Andy was smiling as he watched their turn come up.

Gil finished his glass of whiskey and shook his head. “Insanity.”

Andy winked at him. “It’s because we’re that good.”

“What spell did you cast on the other GMs?”

“The same one the Lakers do to make themselves better while screwing everyone else,” Andy said with a chuckle as Gil shot him a look.

He picked up the phone and said, “Noel.”

Their pick was in.

Their future was set.

Muhammad and Noel.

Andy couldn’t wait to see them work together.
Amazing. Noel and Muhammad. Wow. You've been hoping for that since the season completed, did you plan it or are you a sorcerer like McCoutcheon? LOL. Nicely done.

Also, what's your ratio of association games simmed to games played? I don't want to post 82 media articles, write all the ESPN, Twitter stuff from around the league and make 82 box scores. I have school!

DISCONTINUED:

Current Association:

Los Angeles Lakers (NBA Champions)
vtcrb Rosters (SS)

Last edited by K.So; 10-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »