Home

Cold As Ice: The Tony Winter Story, an NBA 2k13 Dynasty

This is a discussion on Cold As Ice: The Tony Winter Story, an NBA 2k13 Dynasty within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

OVR: 2
Cold As Ice: The Tony Winter Story, an NBA 2k13 Dynasty

This Is Going to be My GM Dynasty Series on NBA 2k13.

I will be using the Default 2k updated rosters as of 4/12/13.

I will be using my custom slider set on all star difficulty

and I will use an edited version of NBADraft.net Draft classes.

I know it sounds shady, but I'm more focused on giving you guys a good storyline rather than great gameplay (that you won't even see anyway).
I have already picked a team, and I am prepared to start now and will try to get 2-3 post done on the weekends and maybe 1 during the week if my school and sports load permits, and I can finish enough games in that time span. Mostly in my free time during the week i will play the game and over the weekend I will write and play some as well. This will be done as an association where I will only control one team but to counteract 2k's weird trade logic I will turn off CPU trades and control the trade deadline myself.

To review:
Rosters: Default
Sliders: Custom
Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Sim Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Draft Class: Custom
Season Length: 82 Games
Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Injuries: On
Progressive Fatigue: On
Player Roles: On
Team Chemistry: On
CPU Trades: Off
Trade Override: Off

The storyline (which is the most important part I reiterate) will be focusing on the on the court and off the court action. If any of you have read Trekfan's
'The Ronnie Gold Story', it will be similar to that, as that is where I got my inspiration to do this. If you haven't read it, then you should it is an excellent story. I will play 2 or three of the big games every month of the season and have 'news report' style posts as add-ins explaining on-field story-lines and games and such, while the character-based posts will be focused on his perspective of the situations and a lot of off the field drama mixed in. I do want to stay with the same team as many people who do this type of thing struggle to do.

All feedback is accepted. I want to here what you guys think so I can improve the series as best I can, being that this is my first series on operation sports.

I hope we all can enjoy the thread together and I will likely have the first post up today, and then the second right after that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

Re: Cold As Ice: The Tony Winter Story, an NBA 2k13 Dynasty

(the posts will be from many different perspectives, which is why this post is not from the perspective of tony, this one is to give you a backstory, a foreword if you will, as to how the GM position opened up for Tony to get it)

Cold As Ice: The Tony Winter Story

It was a cloudy day in Atlanta, Georgia, and It would only get more depressing for Danny Ferry, GM of the Atlanta Hawks. he was about to receive some very bad news.

"I'm telling you--(cut off by his phone ringing) Hold on Mike I got a phone call"

"Hello?"

"Hey Danny its Bobby"

"Hey, Bobby how it going?" I was excited, I hadn't been able to get in touch with my brother in a few weeks now and it was good to hear his voice.

"Not well Danny, I have some bad news,"

"Oh no what happened?"

"Dad had a heart attack last night. We rushed him to the hospital-- he didn't make it" He choked up at the end.

My heart pounded, my mind raced, Dad, was dead. I was overcome with grief.

"ok, thanks for letting me know. I, I'm speechless. How did this happen?"

"The doctors say they don't know yet, but whats important now is that the family needs to be together, we need you to fly to St. Louis for the funeral"

"I understand" I said choking up, "I will fly there ASAP"

Now I've lost both of my parents. I just stood there dumbfounded, completely overcome with grief and sorrow.

Mike McNeive, the Hawks' director of Basketball Operations, was there.

"What was that about?"

My Father, he had a heart attack last night, he didn't make it."

"I'm sorry to hear that," he said "Do you want to be left alone?"

"Yes, you should leave, I need some time by myself right now."

"Ok. I'm deeply sorry for your loss,"

"Goodbye Mike"

Mike Left. I sat there for a moment, thinking about what came next.

I went to my desk and called in my secretary

"I need to speak to the owner."

"About what sir?"

"I am resigning, effective immediately, I'm needed elsewhere, my family needs me, Leanna, my Father passed away last night."

"Oh. Sir, i understand you are needed and I am sorry for your loss but don't you think full resignation is a little drastic?"

"A litte DRASTIC, MY father meant the world to me, and I lost my mother long ago, this is NOT drastic! I am resigning and that is my final decision"

"OK sir I apologize, I will schedule a meeting with him."

This was it. My last day as the GM of the Atlanta Hawks.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

October 4th, 2012

Its been dreary here since Danny Ferry, a man we all liked and respected as our GM, resigned because his father passed away tragically just 3 days ago.

A woman Dressed in a red suit and skirt walks into my cramped little office.

"Hello, I'm Anthony, Anthony Winter, do you need something?"

"Yes, and I know who you are, I am LeAnna Hopkins, Former GM Danny Ferry's secretary. well, I was, but now I am in charge of finding an interim GM for the team from within the organization. I was wondering if you were interested?"

"Who, me? I'm only 28 years old I'm no GM! Why would the owner want me to be the new GM?"

"Again, interim. Mr. Levenson is looking for an intelligent individual who has a background in scouting and a good business sense, judging by the fact that you have been a scout here since you came out of college, where you got a masters in sports business from HARVARD, you meet those characteristics that are required and we will just need you to take charge of the team while we look further into long term options. Will you meet with Mr. Levenson to talk about the opportunity?"

"I will, but i don't like the idea of being a substitute, where my job could be taken at any point in time."

"In theory, with good performance you could win the job yourself. And you will get to return to your job as a scout when we find the long term answer if it isn't you."

"ok, ok, I don't need anymore Convincing, Ms. Hopkins, I will meet with Mr. Levenson on my prospects for the GM position on an interim basis."

"Good"

Ms. Hopkins left the room, and I was left in disarray with how I, a 28 year old kid two years out of college could run an NBA team by myself. I forgot to ask her when the meeting was, being that I was overwhelmed by the news, but my fear soon subsided of missing the meeting when I got an Email from Th Hawks Owner, Bruce Levenson.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Winter,
I am very interested in the prospects of you becoming The GM of The Atlanta Hawks as you have been told by now. I wish to interview you on Monday, october 7th, 2012, at 2:30 pm.
In high regards,
Bruce Levenson, CO-Owner of the Atlanta Hawks
I'm still worried I can't do it.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

Monday, October 7th, 2012
"Mr. Levenson, Sir, Anthony Winter is here for his interview."

"Good, send him in"

She left the room and went out to the waiting area to meet me "Hello Anthony, He is ready to see you now"

"Ok," He takes a deep breath, he always found it hard to talk to her, she was, distracting, and very attractive. "He's right through that door right?"

"Yes"

"OK, and you can call me Tony if you would like Ms. Hopkins"

"Fine Tony, but now is not the time to exchange pleasantries, you have an interview"

"I know"

I walked through the double doors into a huge office with a viewing area overlooking the city. At his desk sat Bruve Levenson, Co-Owner of the Hawks

"Hello Mr. Levenson. I'm Anthony--"

"I know who you are Mr. Winter"

"Ok"

There was a short pause.

"Mr. Winter, or would you prefer Anthony?"

"I go by Tony, sir."

"Alright then. Tony, You are here to interview for the GM position for My hawks franchise, and looking at your qualifications, I must say I am impresed for someone who is so young"

"Thank you Sir."

"You can call me Bruce"

"Ok, Bruce"

"Well now that we have exchanged pleasantries, shall we get to business"

"Yes si--Bruce"

"Well I believe in you Tony, I like your qualifications but I have questions for how you wish to run this team"

"I'm ready"

"It is no secret that Josh Smith is an immensely talented player who would be a great asset to any team. But, he has been unhappy here and wee have tried to get a deal done to move him before but all of them have fallen through. What is your opinion, how will you handle Josh Smith and his situation with the team?"

"The first thing I planned to pertaining to Smith is to meet with him personally about what can be done and how he is doing on the team. Then if I decide his attitude is a detriment to the team I will shop him for another big to pair with Horford and a wing player. If he can live with being here and I can deal with his attitude then I will look for other ways to compensate him."

"good answer. Next Question, what are your plans for Lou Williams, who is talented but not really a fit as a starter, at least not here with Teague running the point, how will you play him, will you bring in a starter and make him our 6th man, or will you let him play out the season and look for a free agent or a draft prospect?"

"I believe I will let this season play out, but look to replace him ASAP after this year."

The interview continued for another hour, then it concluded

"Well, that was a good interview Tony, I believe you are the next GM, at least on an interim basis, of the Atlanta Hawks."

"Great!" I beamed. I was so excited, "When do I start?"

"Now"

"oh, ok then"

"LeAnna will show you to your office, she is your secretary now."

"Excellent."

I left his office and turned to LeAnna, "I got the job"

"You did? Great! I will show you to your office."

"Ok"

We walked to the elevator and went down a floor, she brought me to my office. It was wonderful, It was big, had a good view, noice desk, plenty of room to comfortably handle my business.

"Here we are Tony. What do you think?

"What do I think? I think its perfect!"

"Great. If you need anything, I will be right outside, I'm gonna go get you some
office supplies, there should be a list of instruction on your desk as to what needs to be accomplished, how you do this is up to you though."

"Sounds good. When will you be back?"

"Shortly"

She left me to myself. I waled over to the desk and read the instructions

Quote:
Instructions for new GM
1- hire staff
2- Meet with coaches and players of choice
3-Any other personnel you feel needs replacement other than coaching, replace in budget of 5 million dollars.
The list continued on but those were the three I would prioritize first.

LeAnna returned with supplies.

"thank you. Would you like to get coffee tomorrow to discuss what I want done while I still hold the office of GM?"

"Its fine with me as long you understand that our relationship is only professional ok?"

"Of course" Well, for now, of course, I thought.

"ok, where and when?"

"Well there is a coffee shop down by my apartment on 12th street. And i was thinking 9:30"

"Sounds good"

We said our goodbyes, and she left again.

Which was fine. I had some work to do.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

October 8th 2012
"Hi Leanna"

"Hello Tony"

She sat down and we ordered

"So what's your plan for the season? What are your goals?"

"my GOAL is to win a title, my plan is to make the playoffs.

"who's goal isn't that? Anyway, I meant like what personnel moves do you have planned?

"well I can't do this without some type of advisor who I trust, so I was going to hire my old college professor, mentor, friend, and Basketball whiz, Mark Alexander to help as an assistant GM. I want to hire my own scouts and retool the front office. I already talked to a few scouts yesterday that are interested in a job with us."

"sounds like you have a good idea as to what you want to do."

"Yeah, Bruce said I had free reign of control as long as a I stay under budget."

"Yeah, he takes a hands-off approach to owning sometimes, but steps in when necessary. Anyway, we should go over your schedule for the day?"

"Sure I think I have a fe---"

I got interrupted, the food came.

"here you go,so I know its not my place," the young waitress, probably in her teens, said,"But you two are really cute together, are you dating?"

It was an innocent question, but neither me, or LeAnna, were happy about it.

I blushed a little but took a sip of coffee to cover it up

"No, we are in a professional relationship only." LeAnna replied.

"Yes, you see I am the interim GM of the Atlanta Hawks and she is my secretary, and we're just here to talk business."

"Oh, ok sorry for bothering you enjoy your meal."

The waitress left, and I turned to LeAnna "So you were saying about my schedule?"

"Ahh, yes, you have a meeting at noon with scout Shaun Manning, and then Garry Patterson at 1, oh and the highlight of the day is a meeting with Josh Smith at 4...."

She continued to go through the list of things to do today.

After breakfast, I paid the check and we headed to the office, it was 11 so I had an hour to prepare for my meetings of the day.

later that day
"Tony, Josh Smith is here for you,"

"Thank you LeAnna, send him in."

He walked in, towering over everything, all 6 foot 9, 225 pounds of him. I was 6'3" and taller than most of the people I know, but Josh Smith was Really tall, and this was the closest I've gotten to a player that is a big man.

"Hello, Josh"

"Hello, sir"

"please, call me Tony"

"no prob"

"Do you know why I wanted to meet you, Josh?

"I dunno, aren't you meeting all of the players?

"Yes, but I have a special reason to talk to you. I want to know how you feel here in Atlanta,and how you feel about the team, because I want all of my players to be happy with their situation, because Happy players try harder."

"ok"

"well? How do you feel about you situation? I know that last few years here for you have been tumultuous, and I want to assure you that if your willing to commit to this team I won't disappoint in helping bring you, and this city, the finals getting the title."

"Thats what the last GM said. To be honest, I've lived here most of my life and I feel its time for a change."

"I understand. Are you asking to be traded?"

"Tony, Sir, I feel there is no other way for me to be happy, I wanna get outta Atlanta, and a Trade is the best way to go"

"I get how you feel. I will try to make a deal ASAP, but I need to know you will put in 100% effort until the move is made, even if that takes until the trade deadline, which it may."

"I can promise you the effort if you promise the transaction happens before the end of the trade deadline."

"ok. thats a deal. Are there any prospective teams you are interested in?"

"I can give you a top 5. Houston, Milwaukee, Chicago, Phoenix, and Either LA team would be a cool place to be,"

"I could look into those teams. Would you be fine anywhere, if you were traded though?"

"yeah i can deal with it if i got to"

"ok, then You may leave whenever you please"

"goodbye Josh"

"goodbye Sir"

I buzzed LeAnna in.

"Yes Tony?"

"Start looking for teams interested in smith, he will be traded before the deadline this season."

"ok tony, I'm on it. What are we looking for?"

"A combination of a big and a wing player, one talented, one serviceable, and draft picks are always nice."

"OK"

I need to talk to Mark. I Thought.

Last edited by BraedenG33; 04-13-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 8

I like the look of this so far, nice seeing a change of pace with that it's being done with the Hawks, the only complaint/tip is to use spellcheck before you post(not starting all your sentences after a full stop with a capital letter, 'noice', and a few other things). But it looks really promising, can't wait or the next update .
Old 04-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox_Caelum
I like the look of this so far, nice seeing a change of pace with that it's being done with the Hawks, the only complaint/tip is to use spellcheck before you post(not starting all your sentences after a full stop with a capital letter, 'noice', and a few other things). But it looks really promising, can't wait or the next update .
Thanks. I like that type of comment because its positive buts it has some constructive criticism not i hate u and not just good. This is my first thing I'm writing for operationsports so I could use the feedback. Im trying to post as many updates as possible because once the weekend is over i will have no free time until next weekend. And whatever freetime I have will be spent
Likely on this or actually playing the game. I played the first game, but i think I'm gonna tone down the difficulty because Im not great at the game I prefer the story element of this type of thing. When you see the report on the game you'll understand why. Im probably gonna keep tweaking the sliders until i have a good balance. If you jave any reccomendations for a base set im all ears. Tony won't be to happy after this one i suppose. But its a long season and Ive got plenty of games left so itll come around hopefully.

Ive already hinted at a Josh Smith trade and while Idont want to trade him yet, when i get closer to the deadline and i have more followers of the series, im thinking I might do a poll on the trade options for him. I think if you guys are more involved it will be more interesting. So when a big decision needs to be made i might do a poll for them. Do u think thats a good idea?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

(Tony is in Boston, where Mark Lives, to talk with him)

I knocked on the door, waiting for Mark to answer. The door opened.

"Hello, Tony, boy you've gone and made quite a name for yourself Mr. Youngest GM in NBA history, You've made me proud to have been your teacher."

"Hello, Mark. Thank you, but I'm only the Interim GM right now, and if I turn 29 before getting the job then that means Rick Sund was younger when he was with the Mavs, if you remember."

"You always were a smart-a**. Like a walking encyclopedia. Not that anyone uses those anymore. But don't sell yourself short, your only 2 years out of college and you have a job as a top end exec in the biggest basketball league on the planet"

"True."

"Now, would you like to come inside and talk? I assume you have a reason for being here"

"I do. And yes I would like to come in,"

I followed him through the door and we sat down in the living room.

"So, What brings you here to The Hub of The Universe?"

"Actually, you do Mark, I came to ask you if you would like a job with the Hawks as an assistant GM. I need an advisor, a wingman, a right hand man who I can trust and look to for help."

"What's in it for me?"

"A chance to do what you never got to do before. You always said you wanted to be a GM, but it never worked out so you became a teacher. This is your chance to live out your dream of helping build a team, to make them into perennial title contenders. What other reason do you need?"

"I dunno, its a big commitment and I would have to leave my job at the University. What if you don't keep the job, then you get your scouting job back and I get a one-way ticket to the unemployment line."

"I will make sure you will be financially secure until you can get your job back at the University and--"

He cuts me off,"and what? what if they don't give me my job back!? What do I do about living in Atlanta? You act like I can just drop everything and join your fantasy where everything will turn out perfect and I can just get my job back for no reason if it doesn't turn out perfect? Life Doesn't work like that, son!"

"I know it doesn't, and I understand where your coming from. Look, i still have $320,000 left in my budget, I offer you that, you should, if your judicious in your spending, be able to get by off of your savings from that, at least until you get another job. And if you can't I offer you whatever financial support I can."

"God Dammit, I'm in, but I'm gonna regret it."

"Good, now that your on board can we talk about the team?"

"Of course, what about?"

"Well, for starters, what do we do about Josh Smith. I spoke with him yesterday and it is clear that his attitude will become a detriment to the team and that he wants out. LeAnna is shopping him to other teams, but the offers aren't great"

"First, who is LeAnna? And also, what do you want out of him?"

"She is my secretary and she is close with the ownership of the team, she knows her stuff when it comes to basketball, and she's really just making phone calls on my behalf trying to find interest in Smith. And I want a Big and a wing, one serviceable and the other talented. Smith wants to go to Houston, Milwaukee, Chicago, Phoenix, or an LA team. many other teams have expressed interest, however."

"Well Milwaukee has no good wing players, so unless we can get draft picks, they would be out, Chicago is interesting, as is Phoenix, if Houston was willing to give up Chandler Parsons then we could make something work, and the clippers seem to make sense if we can swing a three team deal where the clips get a center from another team, and they get Smith, we get Barnes and Jordan, and the third team gets bledsoe. But we have time, the deadline is months from now...."

We continued to go back and fourth on different topics for hours, from team players to opponents players to the Draft and the offseason. I got there at about 2 pm, and we finished talking after we had dinner at 9 pm.

"Well, we seem to have gotten a lot on our hands Mark,"

"That we do"

"When will you fly down to atlanta? because I can arrange for you to be flown down and get you a hotel room until you get situated in your new living arrangements."

"I'll be ready Friday Morning"

"good deal."

I left his house and got in my car. I drove down to my hotel room, packed my things, and went to sleep so I could catch my flight home.

Things are going great. I thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »