Home

Ready for Big Things: The Coaching Career of Luther Jones (CH 2K8)

This is a discussion on Ready for Big Things: The Coaching Career of Luther Jones (CH 2K8) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Ready for Big Things: The Coaching Career of Luther Jones (CH 2K8)

PANTHERS NAMED #5 SEED IN THE EAST

Eastern Illinois were projected to be a #5 seed in the West Regional but they will start the NCAA tourney as a #5 seed in the East Regional facing a very tough sleeper team #12 Nevada in the 1st Round.

The Wolf Pack won the Western Athletic Conference regular season title going 12-4 and also won the conference tournament title finishing the year 23-8 Overall. This is the schools 9th trip to the NCAA tourney. They enter the tournament with a 4 game win streak and are a 80 Overall. Their starting 5 boasts a 3 SR, a SO SF and a FR SG. SR C JaVale McGee (85 Overall) is their best player overall and averages 25.9 PPG, 8.2 RPG, 1.2 SPG and 2.3 BPG.

If EIU gets past Nevada, they will face the winner of #4 Creighton and #13 Saint Mary's in Round 2.

Also in the East Regional #1 Duke vs Winner of the Play-In Game between S. Carolina St. and N. Arizona, #8 BYU vs #9 UCLA, #6 Providence vs #11 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, #3 USC vs #14 Long Beach State, #7 Mississippi State vs #10 Wyoming, and #2 Villanova vs #15 Valparaiso.

Coach Jones: "This is a very tough region that we're in and I doubt to see any easy games from here on out. I look forward to facing the JaVale (McGee) led Nevada Wolf pack. They're gonna give us their best and we surely will give them ours. Nothing less."
Old 03-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Congrats on the amazing year. Top-25, some hardware for the trophy case and a little trip to the NCAA tourney. Now the question is does Coach Jones stick around or does he move on to bigger or better.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Congrats on the amazing year. Top-25, some hardware for the trophy case and a little trip to the NCAA tourney. Now the question is does Coach Jones stick around or does he move on to bigger or better.
Well this is possibly the best small school team I probably ever played with and I don't wanna leave but with what I've done I think I might. There's no definite answer its 50-50 right now. Let's play it by ear
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicebeliever42
Well this is possibly the best small school team I probably ever played with and I don't wanna leave but with what I've done I think I might. There's no definite answer its 50-50 right now. Let's play it by ear
Well I stayed at N. Colorado for 4 years because of Atkinson my 4* recruit I got in Year 1. With your current roster I could see you sticking around long enough to see Bosley graduate. Maybe that will translate into a Final 4 run with the Panthers. I actually sorta regret going to OSU so soon. There is a big part of me that really loves building up the small programs, and then landing Mid-Major offer and building them up too. Problem was the Mid-Major job I wanted (N. Texas came in Year 3 and I wasn't ready to move yet).
Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 PM   #37
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Well I stayed at N. Colorado for 4 years because of Atkinson my 4* recruit I got in Year 1. With your current roster I could see you sticking around long enough to see Bosley graduate. Maybe that will translate into a Final 4 run with the Panthers. I actually sorta regret going to OSU so soon. There is a big part of me that really loves building up the small programs, and then landing Mid-Major offer and building them up too. Problem was the Mid-Major job I wanted (N. Texas came in Year 3 and I wasn't ready to move yet).
Yeah I think it's gonna come down to if a school is available that I really wanna go to.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 AM   #38
Pro

PANTHERS MAKE IT TO SWEET 16!

If you thought the Panthers' hot run ended in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament you thought wrong. In the first round E. Illinois faced #12 Nevada, a team many experts picked to be a sleeper team and upset EIU, did not pull off the upset. In the first half Nevada looked to be a tough team to beat with EIU finishing the first half with a 6 point lead (42-36). Even with potential NBA lottery pick SR C J. McGee putting up a star caliber game the Panthers would put the Wolf Pack out their misery annihilating them in the second half (42-21). Coach Jones was through playing games and so was his players playing the type of defense that seemed to stop anything. All 5 starters of EIU scored in double figures contributing to this dominance in a big way. A. Bosley would be named Player of the Game with his all-around arsenal finishing with 11 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 6 steals.
Final Score: EIU 84-Nevada 57

EIU Key Performers
R. Martin 18 points, 50%FG (6/12), 3/7 from 3pt
M. Dorlack 17 points, 55%FG (6/11), 5/6 FT
D. Fox 16 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 88%FG (7/8)
A. Bosley 11 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 6 steals, 1 block
S. Goral 11 points, 9 rebounds, 1 block, 50%FG (2/4), 100%FT (7/7)

Nevada Key Performers
J. McGee 27 points, 13 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks
SR PG B. Fields 14 points, 9 assists

In the second round E. Illinois would face #4 Creighton who nearly came away with a win against #13 St. Mary's. This game was nothing like the Panthers' previous game this game was closely contested where there were moments either team could pull away. Creighton would finish the first half (30-34) with a 4 point lead. The Panthers' Big 3 each was playing possibly their worse game of the season at the same time, it was a nightmare to watch. In the second half the poor shooting from the Big 3 continued but S. Goral decided to step up showing that he was unstoppable this game. Being named Player of the Game Goral had a career night scoring 28 points and grabbing 12 rebounds (both career highs). Even though EIU's notable players (R. Martin, A. Bosley, and D. Fox) shot horribly they contributed in other areas mostly defensively. The Panthers would take the final lead with a minute left in the game while making their one & only three pointer of the game shot by K. Kemp. Even with the Blue Jays intentional fouling at the end EIU would hit all 4 free throws to seal the victory.
Final Score: EIU 76-Creighton 69

EIU Key Performers
S. Goral 28 points, 12 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block, 85%FG (11/13), 100%FT (6/6)
R. Martin 12 points, 5 steals, 100%FT (8/8)

Creighton Key Performers
JR SG P. Stinnett 17 points, 2 assists, 3 steals, 55%FG (6/11), 2/5 from 3pt
FR SF N. Penazola 13 points, 2 assists, 2 steals, 50%FG (5/10), 2/7 from 3pt
JR PF K. Walker 12 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 57%FG (4/7)

Coach Jones: This team is unbelievable...I am honored to be their coach. They'll tell you it was me that got them to the Sweet 16 but actually it was them who got me to the Sweet 16. Especially since this is only my 2nd appearance in the NCAA Tournament...Aaron (Bosley), Romain (Martin), and Darryl (Fox) had 1 bad game and we still won I doubt that happens again...To our next opponents look out the Panthers are coming."

Next Up: Sweet 16 vs Winner of #1 Duke/#9 UCLA at the Carrier Dome (3/26)

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 04-01-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #39
Pro

SWEET 16: #1 SEED DUKE GOES HEAD-TO-HEAD WITH #5 SEED EASTERN ILLINOIS

As the second week of the tournament begins everyone was all-in on the #1 seed Duke Blue Devils(28-5) to not only defeat the #5 seeded Eastern Illinois also to win this year's National Championship. With a 93 Overall with 5 former 5* Top 25 players on the team Duke looked like a project ready to win a championship. However before they can even think about a National Championship they have to first get through the Eastern Illinois Panthers whose making a lot of noise this season.

The first half was unexpected as the Panthers were able to go toe to toe with the highly predicted Blue Devils finishing the half (44-37) with a 7 point lead. EIU's defense is ranked 4th best in the nation and it was on show this game contesting every shot without fouling Duke shot 38% from the field (14/36) and 33% from three (4/12). EIU had the hot hand their offense were clicking they shot a scorching 50% from the field (14/28) and 64% from beyond the arc (9/14). With a bad outing last game the Panthers Big 3 showed up this game as A. Bosley was named Player of the Half with the game high 16 points (75%FG 3/4 from 3pt) and 4 assists while R. Martin added 13 points (3/5 from 3pt) and 3 rebounds and D. Fox hit 2 straight threes to close out the first half.

Things were tight again in the second half. Duke would go on a 7-0 run to tie the game but oddly the Panthers would never relinquished the lead. The Blue Devils were playing tough defense this time around causing EIU to shoot 42% from the field (13/31) and 30% from three (3/10) while they shot 45% from the field (13/29) but Duke could not hit from three the entire game (33% 8/24). Both teams looked even in every category besides the shooting categories where EIU would orchestrate a fluid offense finishing the game shooting 46% from the field (27/58), 50% from beyond the arc (12/24), and 94% at the line (16/17), the Panthers could do no wrong. E. Illinois led by their Big 3 would hold on to the lead till the final minutes even with Duke's late rally the Panthers would upset the #1 seed and now one step closer to the Final Four.

Final Score: EIU 82-Duke 73

With 23 points (62%FG, 67%3pt), 8 assists, 3 rebounds, and 2 steals EIU's freshman A. Bosley is the Panthers' top contributor and Player of the Game. SO SF K. Jones (Former Mr OH AA 5* #2 Overall/#1 SF) is Duke's top contributor with 22 points (44%3pt), 8 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks.

EIU Key Performers
A. Bosley 23 points, 3 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 steals, 62%FG (8/13), 67%3pt (4/6)
R. Martin 19 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, 3/8 from 3pt
D. Fox 12 points, 1 rebound, 1 block, 2/2 from 3pt
S. Goral 6 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 1 block

Duke Key Performers
K. Jones 22 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 44%3pt (4/9)
JR PG N. Smith 13 points, 3 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 steals, 63%FG (5/8), 60%3pt (3/5)
SO PF J. Pitta 12 points, 9 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block

Coach Jones: "Wow!...Wow!...If you told me that we would be in the Elite Eight at the beginning of the season I wouldn't of been able to fully believe it. We're taking things game by game and so far our hot run hasn't cool down yet and I'm looking forward to our next opponents. We upset the #1 seed in the East Regional the sky is the limit! Elite Eight baby!"

Next Up: Elite Eight round vs Winner of #3 USC/#7 Mississippi State in Carrier Dome (3/28)

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 04-01-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:50 AM   #40
Pro

ELITE EIGHT: #5 SEED EASTERN ILLINOIS DISMANTLED BY #3 SEED USC

There's not much to say about this game in EIU's eyes but in #3 seed USC's eyes this could possibly be there best game yet. The Panthers would allow USC to pass the century mark that 4th best defense in the nation was not stopping the Trojans. In the first half (45-53) USC would claim a 9 point lead. EIU couldn't matchup with USC their players would get into foul trouble mainly key players like R. Martin and D. Fox. A. Bosley was out there on his own and he was in a shooting funk.

Nothing different happened in the second half (35-4) EIU never would get the lead on narrowing it down to at least 3 points but after awhile the Trojans just were to much for the Panthers. 6 players out of Coach Luther's 10 man rotation were in foul trouble 4 of those players being starters. Martin, S. Goral, and M. Dorlack would barely stay on the court they couldn't buy their way out of foul trouble (23 total fouls). Then to make matters worse EIU would turnover the ball more than they should (19 turnovers). The Panthers were in arm's reach of making the Final Four but that dream was crushed in a disappointing 21 point loss to the Trojans.
Final Score: EIU 80-USC 101

With 6 players scoring in double figures for USC SR PG Daniel Hackett was named Player of the Game with a double-double (12 points and 10 assists), SR SG Dwight Lewis was the Trojans top scorer with 18 points. EIU's top contributor was A. Bosley who played his best with 22 points and 4 assists.

EIU Key Performers
A. Bosley 22 points, 4 assists, 1 steal, 67%3pt (4/6)
M. Dorlack 10 points, 9 rebounds, 2 steals
E. Gardner (bench) 5 points, 10 assists

USC Key Performers
D. Lewis 18 points, 3 assists, 71%FG (5/7), 2/2 from 3pt
T. Gibson 17 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks
S. Fullove (bench) 16 points, 5 rebounds, 100%FG (5/5)
R. Gill 15 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, 67%FG (6/9)
D. Hackett 12 points, 5 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 steals, 100%FT (6/6)
R. Smallwood 12 points, 2 steals, 50%3pt (3/6)

Coach Jones: "It's heartbreaking and it's disappointing. We were right there but the door was slammed shut in our face. The season was very successful ending with a appearance in the Elite Eight but we worked hard and we wanted to get to the Final Four for the first time in school history...Sorry Romain (Martin), (Ousmane) Cisse, and Justin (Brock) this was y'all senior year and I wanted y'all to be the first to strive for what y'all fought for. We had a good run...Good luck to USC in the Final Four.”

Even with a disappointing loss to USC in the Elite Eight Coach Luther was rewarded with Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year winning the Regular Season and Tournament Championships, a #5 seed and an appearance in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight. In his final season as a Eastern Illinois Panther SG Romain Martin was named to 2nd team All-Conference (averaging 16.3PPG and 1.1RPG) along with Matt Dorlack (averaging 9.1PPG, 5.6RPG, and 1.0BPG). Aaron Bosley was tremendous a force to be reckoned with in his stellar freshman year (averaging 15.9PPG, 5.0RPG, 4.7APG, and 1.8SPG). Arguably he should of won Ohio Valley Player of the Year (won by TSU's Gerald Robinson averaging 19.8PPG, 4.0RPG, 4.3APG, and 2.0SPG) but he was rewarded Ohio Valley Freshman of the Year, this will be the 2nd straight year a Eastern Illinois player won the award. Bosley's accolades didn't stop there he also earned a spot not only on the Ohio Valley All-Freshman Team with teammate Enrique Gardner (averaging 4.4PPG 1.1RPG, 3.5APG, 1.4SPG) but also 1st team All-Conference with teammate Darryl Fox (averaging 11.4PPG, 7.ORPG, 1.5APG, 1.4SPG).

2009-2010 Season Outlook

This season just one #1 seed made it to the Final Four (California) but it would be the #7 seed Syracuse Orange who knocked off #2 seed LSU (75-69) and #3 seed USC (86-82) in the Championship game to be crowned the 2010 National Champions with their JR PG Jonny Flynn being named Final Four MOP (highlight game: 30 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists, and 3 steals in the Championship game).

National Recognition

Congrats to LSU's 7'0 JR PF Anthony Randolph he was awarded with the NCAA Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year & Big Man of the Year awards averaging 24.4PPG, 8.5RPG, 1.3SPG, and 3.5BPG.

Mid-Major Player of the Year: SR C JaVale McGee (Nevada) averaging 25.9PPG, 8.3RPG, 1.2SPG, and 2.3BPG
Coach of the Year: Jim Boeheim (Syracuse)
Freshman of the Year: FR SG Charles Davis (UCLA) averaging 12.2PPG, 4.3RPG, 2.1APG, and 1.6SPG (Former MR CA 5* AA #2 Overall/#2 SG)

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 04-02-2015 at 12:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »