Home

Ready for Big Things: The Coaching Career of Luther Jones (CH 2K8)

This is a discussion on Ready for Big Things: The Coaching Career of Luther Jones (CH 2K8) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #49
MVP

pfeifere1's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Ready for Big Things: The Coaching Career of Luther Jones (CH 2K8)

I'm SO GLAD I was able to catch up in this. I'm digging this. Like Deuce references back a couple pages, it reminds me of his that unfortunately had to come to an end (or pause). This style is so fun to read because the reader really sees the important stuff like the major ups and downs of a season within a couple or even just one post!

On another note, I'm happy you chose to stay at EIU at least for another season. After that Elite 8 run last season, maybe you can find your way into the Final Four this season!

Best of luck, I'll absolutely be following!
Old 04-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #50
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeifere1
I'm SO GLAD I was able to catch up in this. I'm digging this. Like Deuce references back a couple pages, it reminds me of his that unfortunately had to come to an end (or pause). This style is so fun to read because the reader really sees the important stuff like the major ups and downs of a season within a couple or even just one post!

On another note, I'm happy you chose to stay at EIU at least for another season. After that Elite 8 run last season, maybe you can find your way into the Final Four this season!

Best of luck, I'll absolutely be following!
Yeah actually from when I first started posting I based how I do my write-ups to his and that's how I been writing from then on that man is a genius.

Yeah I was looking at just going to Northwestern but after really thinking about it if I can make the Final Four I can get offers from even more interesting schools next season but if nothing sparks my interest I don't mind staying for Fox's senior year.

Thanks for the follow nice to have you on board.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #51
Pro

Hanson: "Welcome back. I'm John Hanson, this is Dan Collins and Jeremy Wolfe. Now that we're back let's get into some real news."

Jeremy: "I think I know where you're going with this, John."

John: "What is going on at Eastern Illinois? This program has been making noise since the NCAA Tournament most of us thought they be gone the first round but they upset, who we thought seemed unbeatable, #1 Duke to make it to the Elite Eight."

Dan: "I don't know what Coach Jones is putting in those players head but it's working."

Jeremy: "I been watching Eastern Illinois when they were on that 16 game winning streak last season. The talent on that team is surprisingly good. I'm a fan and a believer of Eastern Illinois."

John: Well honestly we have no choice but to be believers, Jeremy. This program had a tough start to the season. I'm referring to their game against then #4 ranked Maryland Terrapins. What a game that was!"

Dan: "This game was nationally televised and Eastern Illinois came out with a 9 point win (79-70). I still can't believe it."

Jeremy: "I sure can. I been saying the Panthers should of been ranked from the beginning and they proved I was right that game. Aaron Bosley, their sophomore shooting guard, led his team to that victory. The man put up the game high 24 points shooting 53% from the field (9/17) against a team we considered to have one of the best defense in the college basketball."

John: "2 players scored in double figures; alongside Bosley; junior power forward Steve Goral (12 points 63%FG) and former Mr. Basketball of South Dakota the freshman small forward Derrick Simmons from off the bench (16 points 71%FG)."

Jeremy: "Don't forget about their pass-first point guard the junior transfer from UAB Aaron Johnson he dished out the game high 11 assists while only taking 2 shots the entire game. You rarely see that kind of player."

John: "On the other side of the ball the Terrapins played their best but Eastern Illinois was just to much."

Dan: "They were getting Eastern Illinois's bigs in foul trouble the whole game, John. The 6'8 287 pound senior center Braxton Dupree the recipient of all those fouls attempted 14 free throws making 10 of them. He finished with a double-double, 14 points and a career high 15 rebounds. Cliff Tucker, their senior small forward, added a team high 23 points shooting 47% from the field (7/15) and also the recipient of a lot of those fouls attempted 11 free throws making 7 of them. Maryland just didn't get enough contributions from the rest of the team to avoid a upset."

John: "They didn't stop there however they continued winning beating Kent State (83-70) and DePaul (76-73) before their Old Spice Deodorant Classic opening round game against then #4 ranked Villanova winning in a blowout (89-65)."

Dan: "This program continues to amaze me with these wins. I mean they really beat Villanova in a blowout?! They had 22 total turnovers, shot 31% from the field (17/55) and 63% from the line (25/40). They were worse than horrible."

Jeremy: "I saw this win coming but I didn't see a blowout. The Wildcats underestimated Eastern Illinois and before they played well it was to late the Panthers had this win in the bag. The top scorer of that game with 21 points was Eastern Illinois's first man off the bench the freshman Simmons. He shot 50% from the field (7/14) going 5/6 at the line and grabbed 7 rebounds. Bosley added 13 points, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals with junior small forward Darryl Fox added a double-double, 10 points and 12 rebounds."

John: "Well tomorrow they're in the Finals against #17 ranked Clemson Tigers (3-0) after beating VCU (78-61) in the semi-finals. Bosley finished with 23 points shooting 64% from the field (7-11) and 75% from three (6/8), 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals while Fox finished with a double-double, 20 points and 13 rebounds. Before we close, Dan, John; what is your final words or predictions for the Panthers?"

Dan: "I'm going to look like the bad guy here, John, but I think this is all a fluke and before long we won't be talking about this program for long they may have beaten 2 Top 25 teams in a row the streak stops against Clemson."

Jeremy: "Well I don't agree with not one thing you said, Dan. We're gonna be talking about this team all year and I'm rooting for a Final Four run this season. They played top tier talent and they're winning. I see them winning the Old Spice Deodorant Classic tomorrow."

John: "This will be an interesting year for Coach Luther Jones and his Eastern Illinois Panthers. Thank you for watching until next time."

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 04-04-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #52
Pro

CLEMSON TOPS EASTERN ILLINOIS, WINS OLD SPICE CLASSIC

Eastern Illinois (5-0) and #17 Clemson (3-0) both were coming in undefeated and on their own winning streak. This was the Final round of the Old Spice Deodorant Classic Tournament Clemson had to get through Rider(91-75) and Illinois(88-52) making the run look easy while EIU beating #4 Villanova(89-65) and VCU(78-61) had a tougher time. Both teams were not looking to lose this game especially Clemson since EIU has beaten 2 straight Top 5 ranked teams already. The Tigers were not gonna underestimate the upset-minded Panthers.

Even with FR C Angel McDonald out cause of a broken wrist he suffered last game the game was tight in the first half (39-44) with Clemson taking a 5 point lead at the half. Both teams were trading baskets neither team could establish a run until the final minutes where the Tigers finished with a 6-0 run to close out the half. Both teams were constantly getting into foul trouble but Clemson were winning the battle for the boards.

During second half play (37-38) the Panthers started on a 12-2 run looking impressive against the up tempo Tigers. However Clemson wasn't gonna fold over and let the Panthers upset them going on a 10-0 run of their own before taking the lead. Once Clemson had the lead they would never lose it again. Even with a late rally EIU couldn't get the lead back FR C L.T. McFarland fouls out and no one but D. Fox truly contributed and Clemson continued to dominate the boards. In the end EIU had to foul to stop the clock trying to play catch up but Clemson would make their free throws and secure the win and crowned Old Spice Deodorant Classic Tournament winners. EIU's win streak is snapped at 5.
Final Score: EIU 76-Clemson 82

3 players scored in double figures for the Tigers with JR PG Von Chandler being named Player of the Game finishing with 20 points shooting 83% from three (5/6), 6 rebounds, and 4 assists. With a poor showing from A. Bosley and D. Simmons D. Fox with a near double-double was EIU's top contributor with 20 points (47%FG-7/15), 9 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals.

EIU Key Performers
D. Fox 20 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, 47%FG (7/15)
A. Bosley 12 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals

Clemson Key Performers
V. Chandler 20 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, 50%FG (6/12), 83%3pt (5/6)
SR D. Stitt (bench) 12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists
SR T. Oglesby 12 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal

Next Up for Eastern Illinois: is a home game against George Washington (2-3) and Arizona State (6-1) before their Ohio Valley conference home opener vs Morehead State (2-3)

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 04-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #53
Pro

EASTERN ILLINOIS WINS 7 STRAIGHT!

After losing in the finals of the Old Spice Deodorant Classic against Clemson(76-82) the Panthers did not let that heartbreaking loss get to them. Without A. McDonald (out for broken wrist) they still went on to win 7 straight games before their streak was snapped in a devastating buzzer beater loss to#3 ranked Texas(74-75).

Eastern Illinois returning home faced George Washington and Arizona State. The Colonials of the Atlantic Ten conference was having the best start to the season (2-3) and with Eastern Illinois's topping them (84-74) things continue to look bad for them. A. Bosley of EIU was named Player of the Game with 19 points (50%FG-8/16), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1 steal. The Panthers only had first half troubles against the Pac-10 Sun Devils, who unlike George Washington is have a successful start to the season (6-1). The Panthers squashed Arizona State in the second half notching another big one in the win column (77-63). D. Fox of EIU was named Player of the Game with 13 points (7/10 FT), 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks.

Conference play opened up for the Panthers as they faced off against and defeated in dominating fashion Morehead State(2-3) (79-68) and Austin Peay(3-3) (91-69). Neither team could keep up with EIU the talent difference had to much of a gap. In both games A. Bosley couldn't be contained he was named Player of the Game at both showings. Against the Eagles A. Bosley had 19 points (53%FG-9/17), 5 rebounds, and 5 assists then against Austin Peay he scored a season high 29 points (43%3pt-6/14) to go along with 3 steals.

They're 4th straight game at home against Memphis(5-2) was no easy win this game went into overtime thanks to A. Johnson's clutch free throws during the closing seconds in regulation. EIU was down just one point in overtime but thanks to a buzzer beater three from A. Bosley the Panthers extended their win streak to 5 (90-88). 4 EIU players finished in double figures with L.T. McFarland, the starter while A. McDonald is out, was named Player of the Game with 16 points (50%FG-4/8), 5 rebounds, and 3 steals.

EIU's 6th and 7th straight win was against Tennessee State(3-6) on the road which was an absolute trashing (92-42) and Eastern Kentucky(4-4) at home which turned out to be a lot closer then predicted (67-65). The Colonels was giving EIU a hard time both teams shot atrocious percentages but the Panthers caused enough turnovers and hit a clutch buzzer beater shot made by bench player D. Simmons. A. Bosley would be named Player of the Game at both games. Against TSU he finished with 19 points (8/9 FT), 6 assists, a career high 6 steals, and 3 rebounds then against EKU finished with 19 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. The Panthers are now 4-0 in conference play.

The game where EIU's streak was snapped was against the #2 ranked Texas(7-2) on the road in Austin, TX. This game was tighter than the Memphis game 3 games ago. Neither team letting up playing hard and nonstop from tip-off trading baskets and getting on runs of their own until Texas would take a 2 point lead at the end of the first half (36-38). In the second half (38-37) EIU scored one more point than Texas but the Longhorns took the win (74-75). Eastern Illinois had the 2 point lead with only 5 seconds left in the game and just to make sure a man is on the player the inbounder gives the ball to they chose to full court press. Miraculously with just 3 seconds left Texas's SR PG Dogus Balbay
heaved the ball to SO SF Jay Parham (former 5* Mr. Arizona AA #4 Overall/#1 SF) and the considered top pick in the upcoming draft threw up a three pointer and the ball hit nothing but net. It was such a devastating loss Coach Jones and the EIU players didn't know how to react they were stunned. Gus Johnson was named Player of the Game with 21 points and 6 rebounds. A. Bosley was the top contributor for the Panthers with 19 points (46%FG-6/13), 6 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists, and 2 blocks.

Coach Jones: "The 7 game win streak is something to proud of but to see it snapped cause of a buzzer beater is heartbreaking. We wanted to make some more noise knocking off another Top 5 team but it didn't happen. We're not gonna hang our heads to long we still got a season to finish."

Eastern Illinois has a week off to recuperate before facing Samford (4-5) to continue conference play.

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 04-07-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:11 AM   #54
Pro

EASTERN ILLINOIS 3-PEATS AS OHIO VALLEY CHAMPIONS

Once again for the 3rd consecutive year the Eastern Illinois Panthers is crowned the Ohio Valley Regular Season Champions. Going 19-1 in conference play with their only loss just like last season coming from Murray State (67-72). Even with A. Bosley of EIU putting up the game high 23 points and grabbing 5 rebounds the Racers squashes the Eastern Illinois's hopes of going undefeated in conference play. EIU showed that they should be in everyone's talks finally being ranked in the Top 25 starting at 22nd going high as 10th before finally being ranked 14th prior to the Conference Tournament. EIU is #13 in the RPI Rankings and is looking at a #4 seed in the West Regional in the projected brackets for the NCAA Tournament.

This season has been going as good as it gets for Eastern Illinois. They are playing at a high level looking like they haven't missed a beat from last year. With the lost of their leading scorer all it did was give A. Bosley and D. Fox the nod to be the primary scorers. SO SG Aaron Bosley (79 Overall) is averaging 18.3PPG (leads conference) shooting 46% from the field(182/399) and 39% from three(69/179), 3.6RPG, 3.0APG, 1.6SPG with 27.8MPG. JR SF Darryl Fox (78 Overall). is averaging 16.3PPG shooting 43% from the field(161/379), 7.6RPG (leads conference), 1.4APG, and 1.7SPG with 29.0MPG. Though Bosley and Fox is the main guys JR PF Steve Goral (74 Overall) is having a solid season as well averaging 8.3PPG shooting 45% from the field(65/145) and 43% from three(16/38), 3.7RPG, and 1.0SPG with 25.2MPG and so is JR PG Aaron Johnson (75 Overall) . he's averaging 5.3PPG, 4.8APG (leads team), 1.7SPG, and 1.3RPG with 23.8MPG.

The surprise of the season is the play from this year's freshman class particularly former 3* Mr. Basketball of South Dakota SF Derrick Simmons (73 Overall). who's the first man off the bench averaging 11.3 shooting 50% from the field(110/219), 41% from three(39/96), and 82% at the line(81/98), 3.7RPG, and 1.0SPG with 19.2MPG. The starting freshman C Angel McDonald (75 Overall) who was out 4 weeks for a broken wrist is still having a solid freshman year averaging 6.1PPG shooting 58% from the field(33/57) with the other freshman the 7 foot C L.T. McFarland (73 Overall). is averaging 4.5PPG and 3.2RPG with 16.0MPG off the bench[/color][/b].

Some of the reserves that's getting plus 10 minutes on the court are playing solid providing the extra effort when coming off the bench. Former starter SR C Matt Dorlack (69 Overall). is averaging 5.6PPG shooting 49% from the field(53/108) and 3.4RPG with 11.3MPG. SO PG Enrique Gardner (71 Overall). is averaging 4.3PPG and 2.7APG with 14.5MPG.

Just like in the regular season the #14 Panthers 3-peat as Tournament Champions.

Only one team gave the 14th ranked Eastern Illinois trouble in the tournament and that was 8th placed Austin Peay (71-65). Austin Peay somehow managed to keep up with the Panthers never allowing themselves to be down more than 8 points. They were as close as 2 points in the final minutes of the game but a clutch 3 pointer made by A. Bosley would be the dagger that closed out that game. With A. Bosley and D. Fox the top contributor for EIU Fox was named Player of the Game with a double-double, 18 points (64%FG-9/14) and 11 rebounds adding 5 steals to his stat sheet.

The rest of the way the Panthers showed no mercy dominating 3rd placed Murray State (110-83) in the semi-finals with 6 EIU players scoring in double figures and D. Simmons being named Player of the Game with 18 points (50%FG-5/10) and 8 rebounds from off the bench. Then they annihilated 7th placed Tennessee Tech (101-65) in the finals. A. Johnson took his first shot in the game from three, fouled, made the and-one, but he fell flat on his back suffering a injury. By the end of the game he was diagnosed with a lower back strain he is out indefinitely for 2-3 weeks. Even with this heartbreaking injury A. Bosley got his PG spot back that he started last season and dominated recording a double-double, 19 points (8/12 FT) and 10 assists (1 turnover) adding 4 rebounds, 4 steals, and 2 blocks to his stat sheet. 6 players scored in double figures for the Panthers for the second straight game.

#14 Eastern Illinois finishes 30-3 (19-1), #15 RPI, 10th best offense and 7th best defense in the nation, while the projected brackets have the Panthers seeded #4 in the Midwest Regional. Things are looking up.

Coach Jones: "Happy to 3-peat as Ohio Valley regular season and tournament champions. The team is working harder this then the last season. Aaron (Bosley) has been great, Darryl (Fox), has been great, Derrick (Simmons) has been surprisingly great, heck this whole team has been great. We're still making noise and this is what we want...It sad to see A.J. (Aaron Johnson) get hurt but this team is capable of stepping up especially since we got Aaron back running the point again. Look for Derrick to be starting until A.J. gets back. This team will do well in the tournament."

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 04-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

Congrats on yet another solid year..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 03:04 AM   #56
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
Congrats on yet another solid year..
Thanks things are looking good and I'm pretty confident about this run to the Final Four.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »