Home

Second Coming: A SuperSonics Return

This is a discussion on Second Coming: A SuperSonics Return within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
The Best Sports Game of 2019: MLB The Show 19
The Best Franchise Mode of 2019: NBA 2K20's MyLeague
Worst Trend in Sports Games in 2019: Single-Player Modes Getting Shafted
Does the XFL interest you at all? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #801
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Second Coming: A SuperSonics Return

Just read this whole thing in the past two days and I have to say it's the best dynasty I've ever read on here and one of the best pieces of writing I've ever read. It's going to be interesting seeing the next 77 years of this dynasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #802
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

June 10th, 2018

The margarita was cold in his hands, but he ignored the urge to drink it. He wasn't here for pleasure. He was here for business. Setting it down, Ken Wertz surveyed the office of his current -- and only -- employer. "You really do have a nice layout." He took out a stick of gum and crammed it into his mouth -- it helped to distract him from the bull*hit he was spouting.

"Cut the crap, Wertz." Clay Bennett, empty glass in his hand, looked him over. "Been getting some sun?"

"You tend to do that in Texas. Lots of sun. And open land. And ... nothing. A lot of nothing."

Bennett refilled his glass and took a deep sip out of it. "Find what I wanted?"

This was the part of the job where he wished he could say no. Where, if he still had a conscience, he'd raise his middle finger and maybe even poke Bennett's eyes out with it. The man was a dbag of the worst kind -- a rich one.

But then, that was the whole point of their arrangement. Bennett was outstandingly, sickeningly rich. He could toss money into the crapper and piss all over it; wouldn't bother the man at all.

Ken though ... he had bills to pay. Debts to repay. Costs to cover. Care to provide for. He was a selfish *astard, he could admit that, but he wasn't so blind and so selfish that he'd leave the people that needed him out in the cold.

This was worth it. Plus, he really wanted that new fishing boat.

He took off his knapsack and pulled out a large envelope. He tossed it onto the bar. "There it is. Documents. Pictures."

Bennett's face lit up. "Proof."

"Proof." The word tasted foul. It was proof ... the kind that people wanted buried. The kind that people would pay good money to bury.

Luckily, if you could bury it with money, you could unbury it with it, too.

Bennett set his glass down and opened the envelope, peering into it, thumbing through some of it. "I'll say this for Hollins, he has good taste." He went over to his desk and set the envelope down. He opened a drawer and pulled out a small package.

Thick. Square. Full of cash.

Ken kept chewing his gum as Bennett walked back and handed him the payment. "Your usual fee, plus a little extra for the rush job."

Ken accepted the payment and didn't even bother to count it; the men had been doing this for many years now. Over a decade. Wouldn't do either any good to go screwing it up. He stuck the cash in his knapsack, spit out his gum, and then took a big gulp of his margarita.

He was glad he waited to drink until after they were done.

"I imagine you're going to use it soon."

"Tomorrow," Bennett announced with near-glee.

Ken knew better than to ask, but he asked anyway. "The man lost a baby. You really think he'll give a damn about anything else now?"

"Where it concerns the Sonics, the man will give a damn."

"Isn't it piling on?"

Bennett smirked. "Yes, it is."
Old 05-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #803
MVP

BlindSideNZ's Arena

So very glad to have you back Trek! Safe to say you've been missed greatly!

This just gets juicier though, I can't imagine what else is going to come the sonics way after this. Might Ray Allen garner some negative publicity aswell.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #804
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

Love this dynasty. I like how detailed it is and that you do a whole story like thing. I have not seen anyone who started a dynasty thread before do anything like this (been reading these forums a long time before signing up). I wish you had the time to update this more. Also, do you still plan on going the full 80 years like you said at the begaining?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #805
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket32
Love this dynasty. I like how detailed it is and that you do a whole story like thing. I have not seen anyone who started a dynasty thread before do anything like this (been reading these forums a long time before signing up). I wish you had the time to update this more. Also, do you still plan on going the full 80 years like you said at the begaining?
Yes, the full 80 years is happening, even if it takes 5 real ones (cause it looks that way at this point, lol). I wish I had more time, too ... work is crazy.

BUT, we have a three day weekend, so expect updates out sometime tomorrow or Monday to the story. Thanks for the read and the commenting, and thanks to all those who continue to keep the faith.

Stay tuned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #806
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

In a shocking twist to the offseason for the SuperSonics, head coach Lionel Hollins announced his retirement from the NBA, effective immediately.

“It's been my honor and privilege to guide the Seattle SuperSonics back into the NBA and to play a part in making them three-time NBA champions, but it's time for me to call it a career. I've coached many years in this league and this is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but my focus must shift from basketball to my personal life. I missed a lot of years with my family, with my wife, and my health has suffered along the way … so I'm stepping away now, while I can. I'm confident that this organization will continue to be the best in the NBA and a large piece of my heart will always reside here. Thank you.”

The announcement has taken the NBA by storm and, as fans, there's really only one thing to say:

What. The. *uck,

Now that that's out of the way, the crux of the matter is this: Hollins has every right to step away now and he also has precedent on his side. Phil Jackson did this after his ridiculous run with the Bulls in the 90s and, though he came back, he's done it twice more since. Coaches, like players, can reach burnout and Hollins wasn't showing many signs that he was going that route, but he was much more reserved in the press and on the sidelines this season than in past years. Maybe that had something to do with it, maybe not, but Coach Lionel Hollins is a clear Sonics' legend and will always be welcomed back in the city of Seattle.

Even though his seat is still warm, we, as Sonics fans, need to look forward. The organization needs to do the same, even though it's been a tumultuous few days for the Sonics.

It started at the top, with owner and GM Max Newman, as he and his wife suffered the crushing blow of losing their unborn baby – once again, all Sonics fans would like to extend their condolences to the family – and now things get worse on the business side, as Hollins is stepping away.

And there's no clear-cut answer as who to replace him with. The list of candidates on the Sonics' staff isn't particularly comforting, so you're not going to find the replacement there. That means the Sonics will have to take a ride on the coaching carousel and those candidates are interesting to say the least.

Immediately, two names come to mind: Frank Vogel (formerly of the Pacers) and Dave Joerger (formerly of the Grizzlies). Both coaches were let go at the end of the regular season and have patiently been biding their time. The market isn't huge this year – coach firings are down, but positions of interest could open up by midseason next year (teams to watch for midseason firings: Magic, Nuggets, Celtics).

Both coaches have their strengths and weaknesses. Vogel, for all his success early in his career, has struggled trying to get the Pacers back into the playoffs (and have failed to finish over .500 for three straight years). The last two years his teams have fallen apart after the ASB and there are rumors around the league that the players simply tuned him out. Highly respected and liked, Vogel is considering by some to be “soft” and unable to compel players to do what's needed to win when times get tough.

Then you have Joerger. The Grizzlies made the playoffs in the 15-16 season, but were injury riddled the next year and missed the postseason. This past year things were looking up for the Grizz with the return of Conley and Gasol from injury, but the team simply didn't gel. The new mix of young and veteran talent put Memphis in a bad position as their spacing suffered. Joerger was done no favors by his front office with his bizzaro roster – when a team is starting Tyreke Evans and Michael Carter-Williams with Mike Conley, Marc Gasol, and Jarnell Stokes, there's no reason to think they'll be league leaders in the pace and space game of today. Joerger gamely tried, though, but his time – and the time of the Grizzlies – is done. That said, Joerger replaced Hollins with the Grizzlies and he could do the same here, which would be a hell of an irony, even for the NBA.

Among the assistant coaching ranks, a few names also stand out: Ime Udoka (Spurs), Adrian Griffin (Kings), and Luke Walton (Warriors). All have had their names thrown into the mix the last few years, and any one of them could be primed to be a head coach in the NBA. The three men boast similar qualifications – each is a former NBA player, each has spent significant time around great coaches, each could be considered a “basketball lifer” by the outside world.

Udoka is a product of the Northwest, going to both high school and (a little of) college in Portland. He played for the Blazers for one year and was never more than a reserve/fringe rotation player for his career, but his clout with other players in the NBA is quite high thanks to his time with the Spurs.

Griffin wasn't even drafted and spent a few years overseas before starting his NBA career in the 1999-2000 season. Griffin was a hard-nosed reserve, known for his ability to get rebounds and mix it up. Effort was never a problem for him and he's been an NBA coach for nearly a decade now. He was also part of the last SuperSonics team in Seattle prior to the move to OKC, giving him a special perspective on things.

Walton, as many know (and remember) was the often heralded favorite-son of legend Bill Walton, and one of the 2000s Lakers most memorable players despite being only a rotation guy and a fan-favorite. Walton has spent the last six years in the NBA coaching ranks, gathering much acclaim for his work with the Warriors.

Between Vogel, Joerger, Udoka, Griffin, and Walton, the Sonics don't lack options. What they do lack is a clear-cut winner from this group. For a team and organization that's won three titles straight, whomever becomes head coach will inherit not only a great roster, but also great expectations – Seattle is, at minimum, expected to be a title-contender next year, one of the four or five elite teams in the NBA who could capture a championship. That type of expectation might be too much for a first-time coach and even then might be too much for an experienced head coach.

What Seattle does here will help define their season – for better or worse.

Who do you think should get the job? Let us know in the comment section. And, as always ...

Go Sonics.

Last edited by trekfan; 06-05-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #807
MVP

Rocket32's Arena

I would like to see Vogel or Walton get the head coaching job.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #808
Rookie

I think Dave would make a better story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »