Home

Second Coming: A SuperSonics Return

This is a discussion on Second Coming: A SuperSonics Return within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #185
Rookie

unkram's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Second Coming: A SuperSonics Return

This has been incredibly interesting (and has inspired me to try my hand at doing my own, relocating a team to Cincinnati...as soon as I have posting privileges).

Quick question; are you using a realistic draft class for the upcoming season, or a fictional one? Because I noticed Gary Payton Jr. was in one of the classes I used, and there's a zero percent chance you (or Max) could pass that up, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #186
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkram
This has been incredibly interesting (and has inspired me to try my hand at doing my own, relocating a team to Cincinnati...as soon as I have posting privileges).

Quick question; are you using a realistic draft class for the upcoming season, or a fictional one? Because I noticed Gary Payton Jr. was in one of the classes I used, and there's a zero percent chance you (or Max) could pass that up, right?
I'm using a real one for this season -- when I started there were only a few to choose from and I chose one that I hope is good. I need to research for what the one's next season might look like.

And Max could totally not pass up Gary Payton Jr.

Glad to have inspired you, I look forward to seeing what you do. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I always like a good 'chise.

All that said, Holy Mother of God did I just finish one of the best games ever. Game 1 of the OKC/Sonics series is an instant classic. Recap in the morning.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #187
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Sonics Overcome Thunder in OT Classic

April 26th, 2016

By Vonny Lee

The Seattle SuperSonics took Game 1 of this series despite blowing a seven-point lead heading into the fourth quarter. The savior of Seattle wasn't one of the usual suspects: not Noel, not Allen, not Jack, not Gortat, and not Crawford.

It was Jeremy Lin.

Heading into the fourth, the Sonics lead -- once sitting at 20 in the third -- had been trimmed down to just seven as the PAC held its breath anxiously, wondering if the Sonics collapse was going to be as thorough as it appeared. To the horror of everyone in the arena, it was.

The fourth saw the Thunder storm back and, within minutes of the quarter starting, they had taken the lead from Seattle. Fouls had been traded all game and Jarrett Jack had piled up plenty before the fourth; Westbrook wasn't having a great game (20 points on 9-of-23 shooting) but he was frustrating the veteran point guard.

With less than eight minutes left, Jack fouled out and Jeremy Lin entered the game. Through three quarters Lin had amassed 16 points and seven assists, helping the Sonics jump out to their lead in the third. But Seattle needed someone -- anyone -- to step up and prevent the collapse that would have defined this series for years to come.

Jeremy Lin did just that. Despite Seattle trailing by six points with less than five minutes to go, Lin rallied the troops and kept running the offense; rather than allow the Sonics bigs to roll to the rim, the Thunder kept them out of the paint.

Lin, however, was given space to run in and he took it. The aggressiveness, one of his defining traits (sometimes for good and ill), was on full display in the fourth quarter as Lin took it inside and got bucket after bucket.

With every make, the crowd roared, and somewhere in the universe Mike D'Antoni smiled.

The Sonics clawed back into the game, making it a three-point, one possession affair in the last two minutes as multiple players went to the line and multiple misses ensued, the pressure of the situation bearing down on everyone.

With less than 23 seconds on the clock the Thunder managed to eek out a three-point play on a Durant layup, foul, and free throw. The Sonics had the last possession and played it beautifully, calling for multiple screens and leaving the ball in the hands of Lin, who dutifully got the pick, stepped to his right and back, and drained the triple with 1.2 seconds on the clock.

The PAC exploded in a frenzy as the Thunder quickly took a timeout. Linsanity was in full effect and the Thunder, who had been spared the original occurrence of the sensation, were going to be its next victim.

It had taken over five years for Lin to recapture that magical moment, but it was finally here. The Thunder were unable to get a quality look in the 1.2 seconds left and the game went into OT, the first time for either of these two teams in the postseason.

Hollis-Jefferson had fouled out towards the end of the fourth, meaning Seattle had to insert Bogdanovic into his place as the OT period started. With a lineup of Lin, Allen, Bogdanovic, Noel, and Gortat, the Sonics were without two of its most important players.

The Thunder were without Enes Kanter, who fouled out himself, and Steven Adams, who's back injury -- initially diagnosed as minor -- was determined serious enough to hold him out of the game.

The OT period began as both teams traded buckets, but the Sonics locked down the Thunder on defense, preventing OKC from getting quality looks. Meanwhile, the Sonics continued to play their brand of patient pick and roll offense; the Thunder keyed off on Lin and the point guard dutifully passed the ball to the rolling man to the rim.

With less than three minutes to go, the Sonics were forced to sub Bogdanovic out after the player pulled up on the court, seemingly suffering from cramps, and rookie Chris McCullough entered the game. McCullough was forced to play the four against Ibaka as the Sonics rotated Noel onto Durant.

OKC attempted to take advantage of the matchup but found McCullough ready to play -- he prevented Ibaka from getting any good shots.

With less than 1:15 to go, OKC had a one-point lead and the ball after a missed Ray Allen triple. Coming up the court, they dished it to Westbrook, who was theoretically fouled with 49.7 seconds on the clock; the replay, however, showed that Noel did not make contact with Westbrook at all and the foul was a phantom.

Lionel Hollins chewed the referees out on the sidelines as Westbrook took his two free throws, the Thunder up 125-124. If he made either or both, the game could be over.

Westbrook not only missed the first, he missed the second as well, and the Sonics went back to work on the other end. Lin setup Noel for a pick and roll and Noel rolled to the rim, but passed out to Gortat who hit the floating layup over the outstretched hands of Ibaka.

The Thunder, down 126-125 with 33.7 seconds to go, had the ball again. With plenty of time left on the clock Westbrook brought the ball up the court. He dived into the Sonics paint, then passed out to McGary, but the pass was poor and Gortat came away with the steal.

Now with 27.9 seconds left and the lead, Seattle had the ball. Lin got it and again called for the pick and roll. Gortat set the pick, rolled to the rim, but missed the layup. As the arena held its breath, Ray Allen came up with the rebound, the bucket, and the foul. With 8.1 seconds left the Thunder watched as Ray Allen sunk the free throw, then called a timeout.

During their next possession Andre Roberson would get the ball at the high post and dive towards the hole; he was fouled by Gortat and went to the line, but missed one of his free throws. The Sonics got the ball back and it found its way to Noel, who was promptly fouled.

Noel, however, stepped to the line and iced the game by making one free throw.

The Thunder, with 2.4 seconds left, had no recourse. The game was theirs to lose after a remarkable comeback and lose it they did, in no small part due to the play of Russell Westbrook, who becomes the scapegoat of this game.

Seattle comes away with a very close Game 1 win and there's not a Sonics fan who feels even the least bit bad for OKC. Game 2 is just around the corner and OKC has to rebound after such an emotional loss ... and the Sonics have to remember that this series is a best-of-seven. One game doesn't undo years of trauma, but this was a big step towards that.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #188
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Pretty cool that Linsanity came back. What a turn of events!

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #189
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
Pretty cool that Linsanity came back. What a turn of events!
It was fate, I think. I was revisting Linsanity on Youtube hours before the game and remembering how unreal it was ... then Lin broke out and saved my bacon.

We almost choked it away but no one will ever remember that; they will only remember Jeremy Lin and Westbrook's two bricks free throws (and his horrible turnover) that gave us the win.

I honestly don't mind if I lose the series now, I got the epic win against OKC I was looking for. I would love to knock them out of the playoffs, though.

If we do that and I end up facing the Warriors, the Sonics will be screwed; we only won once all season against them and that was luck. If we get the Pelicans, I am much more confident we can win and get to the Finals ... I want the dream season, but I know the likelihood is that it all comes crashing down this round.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #190
Rookie

eyes of hazel's Arena

OVR: 2

Great read.

Just can't stand (jokingly) the obvious bias of Lin and the push he's getting. He's done and been done since Houston legitimately (Laker days if you want to put nail in coffin), but it is what it is.

I guess you gonna acquire Lance Stephenson next, er?
Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #191
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes of hazel
Great read.

Just can't stand (jokingly) the obvious bias of Lin and the push he's getting. He's done and been done since Houston legitimately (Laker days if you want to put nail in coffin), but it is what it is.

I guess you gonna acquire Lance Stephenson next, er?
Lance? Maybe. *shrug*

But honestly, I was planning on hiring Tim Tebow as head coach. TebowTime + Linsanity = 82-0!

(For real, though, big fan of Lin and Tebow.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #192
Rookie

eyes of hazel's Arena

OVR: 2

Can I ask what's Lin's contact?

Is he locked up for another year after this season, and is he a lifer in Seattle now?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »