Home

When the Stars Align - Jonny Boss GM Story

This is a discussion on When the Stars Align - Jonny Boss GM Story within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 2
When the Stars Align - Jonny Boss GM Story

DISCLAIMER: Possible long write up.

December 28, 2015
7:46pmMST

Somewhere outside Phoenix, AZ

His hands were sweaty as he grabbed onto his car keys. “Come on baby … just start,” he begged his car.

He cranked it.

It struggled, the engine in it slowly starting up, and then cuts off.

His fist collided with the steering wheel. “Dang it!” He got out of his car and stood off it, staring. “Just start already!”

His silver 1995 Honda Accord, with the backseat door dented on the driver's side, did nothing to answer him.

He began to pace, his eyes looking out into the distance. Nothing but desert and here he was, stuck on some abandoned back road, with a busted car.

He was late for a front office meeting and this was his first one ever … this was the thing he was looking forward to all week. Things were looking up.

He took out his Samsung Galaxy and grimaced. Still no service. Then suddenly thunder sounded and it was like boat load of water poured down on him.

He was dead out here unless he got his car to cooperate.

He hurried back into the car and shut the door, his hands firmly on the steering wheel. “All right…I’ll make a deal with you.” He caressed it for a moment, trying to relax his car or himself: most likely both. “If you start now we can make the meeting before it’s over…we’ll be late but at least we’ll be there. If you do this for me I promise you I'll finally get that dent out.”

He grabbed the keys again and reiterated, “I swear. This is no joke. You'll be pretty again.” He took a deep breath and started the ignition. Again the engine rumbled to life and then it started to struggle...

It pulled through.

DJ Snake's Lean On blasted through the speakers and he sighed in relief. He buckled up and stepped on the gas.

It wasn’t more than thirty minutes later when his phone got service back. He was already an hour late to the meeting so he figured he’d have some missed calls.

He didn’t figure he’d have 47 of them! Most from family and friends.

Fear rose up inside of him. Had one of his family members had an accident? Was someone in trouble?

He glanced at the clock and saw that he was going to be cutting it close. Making the end of the meeting didn’t seem important now.

He pulled off into town at a McDonald's, a place he hated but it was the first place he saw.

He called his Mom up.

“Oh My GOD!” She screamed into the phone. He recoiled but she kept on. “Are you all right?! What happened?! Please, tell me you’re all right!”

“Mom, mom, hold on,” he yelled into the phone, annoyed. What was she talking about? “Why are you and everyone else calling me all of the sudden? What’s going on?”

There was a strange silence on the other end of the line. His mother’s voice got very quiet. “You don’t know, where are you?”

He winced at her, “Mom, what is going on?”

“…a huge stormed hit Jonny…near the Suns arena…there was a tornado.”

Jonny’s eyes widened. “What?”

“They’re saying lots of people were dead or severely injured some are missing… it’s all over the news.”

His throat went dry. “Mom, I got to go.”

“I’m sorry, Jonny.”

He didn’t answer, just ended the call. He leapt out of the car and sprinted into McDonald's.

Everyone there was transfixed on the TV.

The volume was on.

“ …and recent reports have confirmed the deaths of at least a dozen individuals in the aftermath of a devastating tornado, with at least seven more critically wounded. For those of you just joining us, the developing story is that a severe thunderstorm hit in Phoenix and a huge tornado with record breaking winds emerged from it undetected and hit near the US Airways Center...though the arena was not severely damaged the surrounding area took the worse of it. Citizens were still on the streets trying to get to a safe place most of being Suns' front office officials...This will go down as one of the most destructive storm in recent history in the Phoenix area.

Jonny stared at the screen as the images of people crying filled the screen.

He slumped down in a nearby chair.

One Week Later…
11:23amMST

This was a disaster. Robert Sarver sat in his private jet, his plane flying into Phoenix. He hadn’t slept well in a week now…the storm continued to surface from his mind. He was supposed to make an appearance at the meeting but skipped so he could play some golf.

He missed the storm. He was lucky.

But the thought that he could be dead…that he could be in some afterlife or stuck in a personal hell right now…it kept him up at night. It kept him from sleeping much at all. He had to turn to pills in order to get his rest.

He rubbed his forehead and poured himself a drink. Maybe it was too early in the day for this but he didn’t care at this point. He needed this drink to calm his nerves and shut his mind up.

“You really should cut back on that.”

He glanced over at his personal assistant and frowned at her, “Don't go and tell my wife.”

“Do I tell her anything?” The lithe blonde responded back with a smirk.

He rolled his eyes. Youth…ignorant. Stupid. Cocky. They were good at only one thing: Wasting money.

Sitting across from him she brought out an iPad and began to scroll through it. “You need to make a decision on the front office.”

“What front office?” He shot back angrily. After a moment he sighed and rubbed his forehead again. “Sorry, Katherine.”

She stared at him. “Most of your front office is gone.”

“I know.”

“Dead from the storm.”

He gripped his glass tighter. “I know.”

She leaned forward. “So what do we do?”

He set his glass down and stared out the window. Phoenix was below them. They’d be landing in ten minutes or so. “We’re going to pay the contracts to all those that died in the storm…their families will get money.”

“Really?” She asked surprised.

He looked at her and nodded. “It’s not about the money…not this time. If we start citing clauses and try to cut costs on this the PR nightmare will kill this rest of this season. People are still up in arms over how poorly the team has played.” He sighed. “So we’ll pay that. We just need a stop gap measure for this year.”

Katherine scrolled through her iPad. “Paying out those contracts to the deceased is going to take a good chunk of this year’s projected budget.”

He had done the math. He was aware of that. Why did she assume he wasn’t? “And?” He asked, annoyed.

“And…well, hiring even a temporary front office staff at usual league rates, for only a year, will put us almost over budget.” She looked up at him knowingly. “You hate that.”

“I do.” He poured himself another drink and knocked it down in one shot.

“What about that scout…the one who lived I think he missed the meeting too?”

She scrolled through her iPad. “Boss, Jonathan… he’s actually still working.”

Robert looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Really?”

“He didn’t take the leave granted to him…odd.”

“Maybe…maybe he’s what we need.”

She chuckled, “He’s a scout, not a GM. We have others who survived the storm more qualified.”

Ignoring her response he continued, “He’s paid like a scout…we can give him a modest bump in salary, give him the reins to the team for the rest of the year.”

She stared at him. “You're not serious are you?”

“Couldn't be anymore serious, Katerine.”

She put her iPad down and pointed at him, “You can’t be serious! He’s only 26…he’s younger than me!"

“He’s a temporary measure…he’ll get paid cheap." He sat back in his chair, a feeling of satisfaction rising up in him. “We’ll let him hire some people…we’ll keep the staff small and keep them on one year deals. After the season we simply cut them loose and start the process of looking for real talent in the front office.”

She cast a glance out the window. “And the fans?”

“The media will eat this up…26 year old scout, one of a few survivors from a horrendous event, the least qualified, being put in charge of a team? They’ll love it. We’ll win the PR battle and by the time the season is over everyone will have forgotten about this.”

"And if he does a great job other teams will jump on him and we'll look like fools."

"That's a big if, Katerine." He poured himself another glass and smirked at her. “However if he is good I'll look like genius and we'll get good front office talent for cheap.”

“Cheap…your favorite word.”

He shook his head. “My dear, it’s not about cheapness…it’s about playing it safe."

“And this is safe?”

He drank from his glass and set it down. “It’s a win-win either way…this is as safe as it gets.”

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 02-06-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
Pro

Re: When the Stars Align - Jonny Boss GM Story

This is going to be a GM Dynasty (using MyLeague), focusing on all the personnel dynamics, off the court stuff, and pretty much everything else involved in running a team, originally inspired by trekfan’s Ronnie Gold ‘chise. I'm starting out with a team I’d like to stay with for the long term, but I won't rule out moving on to a different team should storyline dictate as such. I been so reluctant to start up a 'chise cause it seems like when I start one something happens and I have to stop it before it gets going. Hopefully things will be different this time for I love doing these write-ups so I hope y'all enjoy.

I'll be using CWSapp757/Dreece Fictional Draft Classes starting with draft class 1. These classes are freaking amazing!

I will only be doing 30 team control but the most I'll control is the draft the CPU will handle everything else for the other 29 teams while I will have complete control over my team. Using SimWorld's sliders and roster the A.I. has been doing surprising well with drafts and free agency sorta with trades but trade approval will still be on. I’ll be starting mid-season of the 2015-16 season.

I'll be playing about 2-5 games a month through the course of the entire season while playing every game of the playoffs, so I’ll actually be playing about 12-30 games a season adding with that however playoff games I play. The rest of the games will be simulated to keep things interesting. Any and all comments are welcome-bad or good (hopefully more good then bad haha). I can’t wait to begin this MyLeague hope you all enjoy.

Game & Console: NBA 2k16 (Xbox One)
Rosters: SimWorld Experience http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d.php?t=850108
Difficulty: Superstar
MyLeague Slider Format: SimWorld MyLeague sliders
Draft Class: SimWorld's NBA 2K16 Fictional Draft Classes (CWSapp757/Dreece) http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d.php?t=856216

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 02-05-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicebeliever42
This is going to be a GM Dynasty (using MyLeague), focusing on all the personnel dynamics, off the court stuff, and pretty much everything else involved in running a team, originally inspired by trekfan’s Ronnie Gold ‘chise. I'm starting out with a team I’d like to stay with for the long term, but I won't rule out moving on to a different team should storyline dictate as such. I been so reluctant to start up a 'chise cause it seems like when I start one something happens and I have to stop it before it gets going. Hopefully things will be different this time for I love doing these write-ups so I hope y'all enjoy.

I'll be using CWSapp757/Dreece Fictional Draft Classes starting with draft class 1. These classes are freaking amazing!

I will only be doing 30 team control but the most I'll control is the draft the CPU will handle everything else for the other 29 teams while I will have complete control over my team. Using SimWorld's sliders and roster the A.I. has been doing surprising well with drafts and free agency sorta with trades but trade approval will still be on. I’ll be starting mid-season of the 2015-16 season.

I'll be playing about 2-5 games a month through the course of the entire season while playing every game of the playoffs, so I’ll actually be playing about 12-30 games a season adding with that however playoff games I play. The rest of the games will be simulated to keep things interesting. Any and all comments are welcome-bad or good (hopefully more good then bad haha). I can’t wait to begin this MyLeague hope you all enjoy.

Game & Console: NBA 2k16 (Xbox One)
Rosters: SimWorld Experience
Difficulty: Superstar
Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Sim Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Draft Class: SimWorld's NBA 2K16 Fictional Draft Classes (CWSapp757/Dreece)

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk
I thought some of this looked familiar -- not from the Ronnie Gold chise, but rather from my Fate and Fortune one (that died sadly due to a bad save file). I don't mind being an inspiration for something, but I hope you make this your own thing as you go along. I found that first post a bit too close to the original source material for my tastes, but I understand you're using it as a foundation, not trying to straight-up copy what I had previous written (I hope you're not trying to do that).

Just make this yours, your voice and your words, is all I ask.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
I thought some of this looked familiar -- not from the Ronnie Gold chise, but rather from my Fate and Fortune one (that died sadly due to a bad save file). I don't mind being an inspiration for something, but I hope you make this your own thing as you go along. I found that first post a bit too close to the original source material for my tastes, but I understand you're using it as a foundation, not trying to straight-up copy what I had previous written (I hope you're not trying to do that).

Just make this yours, your voice and your words, is all I ask.
You're right it's Andy. Yeah I just needed the base the idea is in their I just didn't know how to write it but best believe the direction is completely different than Fate and Fortune. Hope you're still following. Sorry I put you through that
Old 01-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicebeliever42
You're right it's Andy. Yeah I just needed the base the idea is in their I just didn't know how to write it but best believe the direction is completely different than Fate and Fortune. Hope you're still following. Sorry I put you through that
Hey, as long as you're doing your thing, we're good. I look forward to seeing what you do with it all. I have a soft spot for the Suns, so I'd like to see them win something at some point. Maybe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #6
Pro

January 16, 2016
10:57amMST

US Airways Center

He took a deep breath as he stared out his window getting a beautiful view of the city. It still haven’t sunk in. He been sitting in this chair now for hours, it felt like days. The press conference that took place 3 days ago has come and gone. It was a blur really…there were hand shaking, words of support, lots of pictures and questions all while the owner of the team, Robert Sarver, sat beside him and watched.

He was named General Manager of the Phoenix Suns…he was the youngest GM in league history now. A 26 year old kid from the middle of Iowa and here he was in Arizona running an NBA team.

This was his moment…his opportunity. The stars were in perfect alignment. Though it came at a terrible price.

He leaned back in the chair and looked out into his empty office.

He knew a few people in the front office. Well until the storm now he just know a few a stranger in his own world.

Before this he was just a scout, he was on the road a lot, looking at players and teams. It wasn’t the greatest job not even the best well paying job but it was a job he liked. The travel was good, the work was good, and the ability to learn about the game he loved was there.

It’s why he had taken this job.

His parents had hated it. They didn’t think he would work so hard in college and get a degree then waste it by being a low level scout for an NBA team. However he had made the decision and he moved out here 3 years ago to be that scout. He did his job. He met some people.

And now he was one of the few left of the Phoenix Suns front office.

“You alright in here?”

He whipped his head around to see Mr. Sarver’s personal assistant,
Katerine, clipboard in hand in the middle of his office door. Everyone knew who she was. She was basketball smart, young, and don't forget drop dead gorgeous.

Looking back out his window he answered, “Just…thinking.”

“I’ve been standing here for nearly 10 minutes now, Jonathan.”

He smiled turning back around to look at her, “Call me Jonny.”

She smirked and sat down in one of the empty chairs in his office. “Okay...Jonny. How does it feel?”

“How does it feel?”

“How does it feel being GM?”

He sighed.

He didn't know how to answer that question. Part of him was excited while the other part of him knew that the only reason he got the job was because a lot of good people died…not to mention the team owner is cheap. He had given him a bump in salary but Jonny knew he was being paid like a chump. He's not stupid.

But that was okay honestly he didn't earn the real pay.

“Honestly, I’m not sure what to make of it,” trying to answer her question the best he could.

She nodded. “So what's the plan?”

“The plan?”

“What are you going to do first as GM?” she reiterated while giggling.

He leaned back, “Man, I need a staff.”

“We don’t have a lot of money to work with.”

“I know.”

“Then who are you going to hire?”

He looked at her surprised, “Me? Hire people?”

She smiled coolly. “You ARE the GM…you make the calls as to who’s on your staff.”

He didn't think of that. He knew he could suggest people but to have final say, clueless…“Actually I know some people.”

“Like who? Some other scouts you know?”

He nodded. Remember when mentioned she's smart that wasn't a lie. “I need people I can trust…I’ll contact them. See if they wanna join me.”

“Um, Jonny, don't...”

“Don't forget about our money issue, yes, I won't,” he said with a chuckle. “We have a owner to keep happy.”

She smirked and stood from her chair, “One more question.”

“Fire away."

“Do you really believe you can do this?”

Jonny nodded, “With the way this season is going I can't do any worse.”

That seemed to answer her question, “I see…good luck. I'm rooting for you.” She walked out of the room.

He got up walked over to get himself a drink but before he drunk his V8 Mango flavored juice he lifted it up, “Here’s to you my fallen comrades."

January 20, 2016
11:23amCST

Clear Lake, Iowa

“What the hell do you mean ‘I need you’?” The older man grumbled.

Jonny cleared his throat. “Mr. Mills, I need you. You’re the best scout I’ve ever known.”

He scoffed. “I taught you everything you bout know, boy.”

“Mr. Mills, you changed the whole scouting game,” Jonny insisted. “You told me you were near retirement.”

“Yeah, what's your point?,” he asked with a grimace.

“Well, don’t you want some more money to live off of when you retire?”

“I don't do this for money and I definitely don't plan on jumping back into some mess, kid.”

Jonny smacked his forehead. “I need an assistant GM, Mr. Mills. Someone who knows the league. I flew out here for you…you know just about everyone in this league.”

“Haven't even gotten a phone call,” he quipped, leaned back in his cozy lounge chair.

“But you know them,” Jonny reiterated. He put down the contract offer on the night stand.

Mr. Mills stared at it, “You’re serious?”

“I need you…Mr. Mills, I have ideas on how to do this but I’m over my head. Everyone knows this.”

“You couldn't be any more right.”

Jonny smirked. “I have a plan that will get this team on its feet."

“With the Suns? This team is having a identity crisis.” Mr. Mills shook his head, “Bledsoe is out for the season, your roster is...better than the 76ers and the Nets.”

"You're right this season is over so I have to make things look good at season's end or I'm done and I have a plan to pull this off."

"What kind of plan you have in mind, boy?"

"Like getting rid of that big contract held by Tyson Chandler or maybe get rid of Brandon Knight. I got all kinds of offers for them both involving some future picks. It's gonna take more than half a season to fix this team. You and me both know there's some monsters coming that can change that."

"Hm you have my attention. Continue."

Pulling a out a pen Jonny states, “I’ll tell you everything if you sign.”

Mr. Mills narrowed his eyes. “And if I choose not to?"

“Then I’ll buy you lunch and we can talk about other things I guess,” Jonny said with a shrug.

Mr. Mills stared at the contract for a moment before grabbing Jonny's pen, signing it, and sliding it towards Jonny. “Done. Now talk.”

And so it begins…

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 02-06-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:00 AM   #7
Pro

Suns Blog
The Arizona Republic sports staff brings Phoenix Suns fans the latest news, notes and analysis

New Beginnings for Suns Franchise

Charles M. Hunt

January 30, 2016

PHOENIX - After a tragic event the Phoenix Suns have continued their "life after the storm" chapter already shocking the country with Suns owner Robert Sarver promoting Jonathan Boss, a 26 year old low level scout, as their new General Manager. The league blew up after this hire and they should have because this was a out of the box decision. After the deadly storm that nearly killed the entire front office the youngest GM in NBA history was able to refill his staff including hiring a scouting legend by the name of Mr. Gerald Mills as his Assistant General Manager. After being silent for over a week Boss has made his first move by trading away starting forward Markieff Morris to the Indiana Pacers.

The trades became official this morning. The Phoenix Suns have sent Markieff Morris and a 2018 first round pick (via Miami) to the Indiana Pacers for Jordan Hill and Solomon Hill.

Honestly this trade didn't come as a surprise as the new Pacer previously mentioned he wanted out of Phoenix. He has played for the Suns for 4 and half seasons never getting a chance to play in the Playoffs. After playing in a Suns' jersey for 356 games averaging 25.2 minutes, 11.3 points, 5.4 rebounds, shooting 33% from three per game Markieff Morris will play his first game as a Pacer February 1st against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Morris has this to say when asked about the trade: "I enjoyed my time suiting up for the Suns but our time together is up and I'm ready to win now and compete for a title. I'm grateful Jonny (Jonathan Boss) came to me, sit me down, and hear me out before trading me. I did what I could for this franchise but its time to see if my talents can help out Paul George in Indiana."

Looking at this trade on paper the Suns get +2 points and +4.1 rebounds per game by adding Jordan Hill and Solomon Hill while the Pacers is minus that. However is a player Markieff Morris who can really contribute for his team by stretching the floor and opening the lane for Paul George to do his thing. Only the other side the Hills doesn't look like the pieces to fix this time but actually bodies that will be go after the end of this season both having 1 year contracts. The Suns also got rid of a 4yr/$32M deal getting cheaper contracts in return (Jordan Hill: 1yr/$4M, Solomon Hill: 1yr/$1.36M).

Following that, they signed 13 year veteran point guard Luke Ridnour to a one year contract for the league minimum. Ridnour has not played a NBA game since last season but with all-star guard Eric Bledsoe out for the season and veteran guard Ronnie Price out for at least a week this signing was necessary.

“Surprised,” said one NBA executive, who has chosen to remain anonymous. “I didn’t expect (Boss) to do anything besides sit the sidelines for the remainder of the season. Especially since this season is pretty much up in flames but he did something that needed to be done."

The Sun fans have to suffer through a terrible season with a 11-37 record, the second worse in the league only ahead of the Philadelphia 76ers, while currently on a 10 game losing streak as well. Nearing All-Star Weekend this team will look to hopefully rise in the draft so the can draft a piece to help make a difference next season when Bledsoe returns because without Brandon Knight and company can't seem to make a difference.

"Yes, this season is pretty much a done deal but I can assure you and the fans out there if I'm here long enough things will get better." This was the only comment Suns' General Manager Jonathan Boss had to say in the matter.

Only time will tell how this story will unfold.

Last edited by vicebeliever42; 02-06-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Unloading Kieff was totally necessary but I hated seeing that 1st rounder go with him (even if it was Miami's, so it's likely low). Still, you've ensured the team can move forward from that situation and get ready for the summer, where the draft will be huge for this organization.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »