Home

SimWorld Presents: The Race to Greatness (A SimWorld NBA2K Dynasty)

This is a discussion on SimWorld Presents: The Race to Greatness (A SimWorld NBA2K Dynasty) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:44 PM   #57
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

OVR: 21
May 26th, 2016

#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 03-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #58
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
May 26th, 2016

All That Delivers is Gold

By Adam Jones

It was ugly at times; it was beautiful at times. In the second-most-watched playoff game in NBA history, the reigning champion Golden State Warriors hung on—through luck, through the skin of their team, through their sweat-soaked uniforms—to beat the San Antonio Spurs and reach the NBA Finals. It was an affair that started perfect for the Warriors and finished far from it; it was a game that maintained their hopes of repeating, but one that also enlarged and gave life to the shadow of doubt that lurks over the Warriors.

For what a game it was. The Warriors led by as much as 15 points halfway through the first and finished that quarter with a 20 point lead, up 36–16. They stayed strong through the second quarter, relying on the abysmal shooting of San Antonio's Patty Mills (who finished the game with 2 points on 1-9 shooting) to go into the half up 53–38. But everyone knows that it isn't that easy against Pop and the Spurs; the Spurs clawed back, fought harder and harder until—with 3 minutes to play in the 4th—the was suddenly down to single digits, the first time since 4 minutes into the game. With just less than a minute to go, it was a two point game.

This game does not mark anything about the "demise of the Spurs." That phrase has been aired since 2013, when San Antonio lost to the LeBron James-led Miami Heat in the Finals. The next year, the Spurs won the Finals in a very convincing fashion. The phrase sprung forth again in 2015, when the 6th-seeded Spurs fell in seven games to the Los Angeles Clippers. The Spurs are resilient, far from death. Tim Duncan was the Spurs' best best player on the floor tonight. Manu and Tony looked solid. David West, the old, cagey vet, sparked more runs than LaMarcus Aldridge did. No, the Spurs are not dead. Their fighting back in this game is proof of that.

This was a Pyrrhic victory at its utmost for Golden State. They won, they've moved on. And they did so with Steph Curry scoring 10 points and Draymond Green consistently jacking up bad three-pointers. Harrison Barnes saw the Warriors through this game, proving once and for all that his offensive mettle is not to be questioned. But the Warriors barely won this game; the Spurs lost it more. Steph Curry cannot score 10 points against LeBron James and hope to win. This was a gruelling series, the toughest the Warriors have faced all year. That's why it was the greatest series of these playoffs and one of the greatest series of the past several years.

The clock ticked down. The Spurs had outscored the Warriors 30–18 in the 4th quarter, had stemmed the offense that seemed unstoppable after the first twelve minutes. The clock ticked down. Tony Parker brought the ball upcourt one final time, with 13 seconds on the clock. Golden State, as they had all game, was playing staunch defense. 9 seconds. Parker found Kawhi Leonard, MVP of the 2014 NBA Finals, who was shooting 8-19 at that point for 19 points, with 5 huge steals. The clock ticked down. Leonard turned, having backed down the game's highest scorer, Klay Thompson. He shot—

—and the ball clanged on the rim and fell to the floor, taking with it the Spurs' hopes and sending the Golden State Warriors to the Finals once again.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 03-03-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #59
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

May 27th, 2016

Clippers trainer Matias Testi has resigned from the team and has filed suit against the Clippers organization and Blake Griffin.

Chad Ford reports that Kevin Durant met with the Wizards GM last week and is very interested in the prospect of playing alongside John Wall & Bradley Beal.

LeBron James took to twitter and said "I am not concerned with anyone's preference on this year's finals I am only concerned with bringing a chip back to #TheLand" in response to Kobe Bryant's tweet late last night.

"Don't be surprised if you see the Celtics make a big splash this off-season" writes Sekou Smith.

Upstart basketball site SimWorld.com receives sponsorship from Nike for a featured shoe & sponsorship from 2Ksports and is looking for columnists.

Sources close to the 76ers organization say that Che'King looks to be their desired pick & that they are willing to trade up for him if the lottery does not go in their favor.

Chris Broussard says on show that he cannot see Golden State beating Cleveland in a 7 game series.

Stan Van Gundy admires how Spurs get quality players below market value. Says he plans to follow the same model.

Rockets in talks with Tom Thibodeaux as they are actively looking for a head coach and plan to return Bickerstaff to the AC role.

Last edited by ronyell; 03-03-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #60
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

May 27th, 2016

2016 NBA Finals Preview

By Adam Jones

Golden State Warriors. Cleveland Cavaliers. Steph Curry. LeBron James. Winner take all, best of 7 series.

Heard those before?

It's one year later, and the NBA Finals sees the same matchup. The top-seeded Golden State Warriors, this time, the record-tying Golden State Warriors, against the second-seeded Cleveland Cavaliers. Just like last year. The Cavaliers beat the Celtics in the first round on their way here, just like last year. The Warriors beat the Rockets in 5 on their way here, just like last year. It's all the same faces in all the same places—Oracle Arena for the first two, fifth, and seventh games, the latter two if necessary; Quicken Loans Arena for the third, fourth, and potential 6th game. Last year, it was Golden State hoisting the Larry O'Brien trophy in Quicken Loans. That's not such a certain result anymore.

A lot has changed behind the scenes from last year. Kyrie Irving figures to be healthy this time around; Kevin Love, sidelined from Round 1 onwards last year, most certainly is. Steph Curry is back to back MVP, and the Warriors as a team tied the NBA season record for most wins. The conference finals, this time around, was more of a slugfest: Golden State scraped by San Antonio in a tense game 7; Cleveland, who swept the upstart Hawks last year in the conference finals, needed 6 games to defeat this year's upstart top seed, the Toronto Raptors. Last year, LeBron came into the finals smoking hot; this year, he has—dare I say it—underwhelmed until now. Perhaps the Finals is just the switch he needs flipped to return to his elite level.

All of that backstory, each team's respective history, flies out the window in the face of the brutal, no-holds-barred, winner-take-all series that awaits. Performance good or poor in previous games matters not; the NBA Finals are not won with spectacular performances in the conference finals. They are won with talent, skill, and smarts. They're won with blood, sweat, and tears. Get the mops ready, because this series is primed to have all of them.

Why the Warriors Will Win
The Warriors will win because that's what they do. They do it better than all but one team in history, and there's a reason for that. The Warriors can score from any position on the court; every single starter can step up and take over a game if need be. They play tough defense, they shoot better than any team in history, they rebound well, they were the best-ever team at home during the regular season, they've beaten the Cavs in the same situation once already... as long as the Warriors stay the Warriors, they will win.

Why the Cavaliers Will Win
Last year, LeBron James gave the Warriors their best run for their money—without the Big 3 there to help. This time around, Kevin Love is playing very well, Kyrie Irving is fairly healthy (knock on wood), and the pieces the Cavaliers added in (sharpshooter Kyle Korver, staunch defender Thabo Sefalosha, and playoff veteran Tiago Splitter) have all performed as necessary. If Tristan Thompson and Matthew Dellavedova can recapture last year's playoff form, there's only one question mark left for the Cavs. And it's pretty hard to see LeBron James under performing this time, as he enters his 6th NBA Finals in a row.

By the Numbers
The Cavaliers enter the Finals with the best winning percentage, .800, in this year's playoffs (12-3). They also allow fewer points per game (98.5 to 102.1 for the Warriors). But Golden State scores at a far higher clip, averaging 108.9 PPG to the Cavaliers' 103.1. The Warriors are hauling in the more rebounds per game (49) and dishing more assists (~29). The Warriors are led in points by Steph Curry (24.2 PPG); in rebounds by Draymond Green (11.4 RPG); and in assists by Curry (6.2 APG). The Cavaliers are led in points by LeBron James (23.2 PPG); in rebounds by Kevin Love (12.7 RPG); and in assists by James (6.5 APG).

It's never an easy call when the NBA Finals come around. Two team who have worked hard to get here—Golden State has played 99 regular season and playoff games, Cleveland 97—and both deserve to win. But that's not how the Finals works. It's a competition, team on team, that produces one champion. Whether it takes 4 games or 7, in two weeks' time, we'll have either a new but familiar champion, or the same champion for the second year in a row. Despite their narrow escape to San Antonio and Cleveland's lack of health issues, this series is Golden State's to lose.

Prediction: Golden State Warriors in 7 games.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 03-03-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #61
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

May 27th, 2016

The last time these two teams met in the Finals... The Warriors took home the trophy. The last time these two teams met this season... it wasn't pretty. Let's take a look at what people are saying around the league.

David Aldridge: "I think Lue will have a plan in place on defense after seeing the Warriors last year for the Finals. Offensively I don't think the Warriors can lock in on the Cavs big 3 & Kyle Korver will be a key factor. I'm picking the Cavs in 6."

Steven A. Smith: "This series is all about LeBron James. There is NO way LeBron will allow his team to go down again like they did last year... that's it... bottom line. I'm going Cleveland in 6."

Anthony Davis: "I just think it's Golden State's year. They've been unbeatable all season. Warriors, but it's gonna go 7."

John Hollinger: "It looks like teams have been able to find a way to contain Steph this playoffs but I don't think the Warriors will be able to do the same to Cleveland's big 3. If Golden State isn't perfect & don't think they will be... I'm picking Cleveland in 7."

Greg Popovich: "If i'm forced to comment I'd say the Warriors. playing them first hand in a seven game series; I say they are hard as hell to defend because of how they spread you out & how smart they play. Kerr will have his guys ready & the Warriors will respond winning in 6."

Bill Simmons: "It's hard to pick against the Warriors after how they've played this season & how they overcame to beat the Spurs. I'm picking the Warriors in 5."

Kenny Smith: "Golden State is too balanced. Warriors win this series in 6. LeBron will play out of his mind but i'm still going with Steph & the defending champs in 6."

CWSapp: "I think Love is gonna step up big & be the key in this series. He's played like his former self thus far in this year's playoffs and a healthy Cleveland team with him playing well wins this series in 5."

Michael Wilbon: "The King will be leading his land to it's first championship but will need 7 games to get it done."

Magic Johnson: "I mean... Curry's game is crazy. Then you got Klay who's been stellar & of course Draymond... I hate to say it but I think Golden State will win in 5."

Ronyell Wilson: "The best player in the world vs the best player in the NBA today. That being said the better, more intelligent team will win this series. I'm going with Golden State in 6."

Skip Bayless: "Call me crazy but I can't see LeBron letting it slip by this year. I'd have to say Cavs in 6."

Jeff Van Gundy: "I used to say good defense beats good defense but CLEARY everything is different now! Good offense beat good defense all year & Golden State is GREAT at both. I'm saying Golden State in a sweep!"

Mark Jackson: "It's hard to disagree with coach Van Gundy but I just have to. It's gonna take 6 games before the Warriors take home the gold."

J. A. Adande "The Cavs pushed the Warriors last year behind stellar play from LeBron. A healthly locked in Cavs team will beat Golden State in 7.

Charles Barkley: "If I was a betting man... and I am. I'm going with the Warriors in 6 games."

Brent Barry: "Golden State. C'mon. The Warriors are just too consistent on both ends of the floor. Golden State over the Cavs in 5."

Be sure to tune in tomorrow at 12pm EST for Game 1 streaming live at: www.twitch.tv/simworldgaming

Last edited by ronyell; 03-09-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #62
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

May 28th, 2016

Old 03-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #63
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

May 28th, 2016

Old 03-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #64
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

May 28th, 2016

It's A Team Win, And It's A Player Loss

I'm not saying that Cleveland would have won, in the end. After all, there was plenty of time for the Warriors, probably the best shooting team in history, and Steph Curry, the best shooter in history, to drive up the court and score. But there's no doubt that Kyrie Irving and his two brutal, brutal turnovers, both coming with under 40 seconds to play, cost the Cavaliers a shot to win Game 1.

The Cavaliers had it going from the opening tip. They controlled the game's pace and they did a good job getting enough scoring and not giving any help to allow the Splash Brothers to heat up. Of course, playoff fortune and success is quite fickle: Draymond Green, who had been putting up bricks all throughout Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals against the Spurs, started balling. He hit 6-11 three pointers and scored 13 points in the 4th quarter alone. The Cavs ruled the Warriors' paint, far outscoring the Dubs in that area, but their own paint was more of a problem—the Warriors finished with 18 offensive rebounds.

Green and Klay Thompson, actually, led the Warriors with 8 rebounds apiece; Thompson only scored 11 points on 5-19 shooting, but added a game-high 4 steals. Steph Curry led the Dubs with 8 assists and added 28 points on 9-22 shooting. For the Cavaliers, Tiago Splitter hauled in a game-high 10 rebounds; J.R. Smith scored 21 points, and Kevin Love added 23. Kyrie Irving, despite 7 rebounds and 7 assists, only scored 12 points and turned the ball over an egregious 5 times. LeBron James led the Cavs with 28 points, 8 assists, and 3 blocks, and was responsible for 47 points, tying Curry for the most PRF in the game. It's not quite his performance from last year's Finals, but it's hardly a poor one.

Cleveland was in control for the long run; Golden State did not earn a lead until 5:12 to go in the game. In a game that featured a lot of and-1s, the Cavaliers always seemed to be one step ahead—when it was LeBron hitting a tough layup and the foul shot, Kyle Korver swinging around for a catch-and-shoot-three, Cleveland seemed on the path to do what they hadn't done last year. And then history kicked in, and the Warriors slowly pulled ahead, through Draymond Green's three-pointers and through—don't you forget about him—Steph Curry's three-pointers, the Warriors found themselves up 97-96 with just over 40 seconds to go.

Kryie Irving brought the ball up court. Through a pick, he found an easy mismatch on Andrew Bogut. Irving drove the lane right, and Harrison Barnes scampered away from LeBron in order to help defend Irving... leaving the King wide open in the corner. It was an easy pass, especially considering that Draymond Green had made a similar, yet more difficult one, earlier in the game. But Irving didn't pass, didn't even shoot. The ball rolled limply out of his hand and was picked up by Barnes. The Cavs raced back on defense, and Irving made a great play to nab the defensive rebound over several taller players.

And then he brought the ball upcourt again. LeBron's defender, Klay Thompson, anticipating a cut, had sagged off. But Irving didn't see LeBron until too late, until Thompson was sprinting back onto his man. So he tossed an easy chest pass right into the hands of Thompson, the man who had given Golden State their first lead of the game minutes before, now the man who would cement Golden State's lead for the rest of the game.

Sure, Andrew Bogut had made a big block on LeBron shortly before. Sure, Kevin Love took a very ill-advised three-pointer with 10 seconds left that didn't do Cleveland any favours. But negate one poor Kyrie turnover, not even both, and the Cavs are sitting very pretty. But twice, with LeBron watching in frustration, Irving, shall we say, dropped the ball.

That's not the way to win a championship.

Game 2 of the 2016 NBA Finals tips off Monday at 8 EST on SimWorldGaming.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 03-07-2016 at 08:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »