Home

Defiance: The Odyssey of Ronald Bazemore

This is a discussion on Defiance: The Odyssey of Ronald Bazemore within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #137
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defiance: The Odyssey of Ronald Bazemore

Heat complete sweep of T’Wolves with victory
By Helena Ramirez
January 21st, 1997

The Miami Heat continued their winning ways, beating the T’Wolves in a game that appears closer on paper than it ever was in reality. Miami, in their second matchup of the year with Minnesota, showed no mercy — they let Kobe Bryant shoot and shoot often. Bryant didn’t disappoint and, with the victory, Miami is now 30-12; the loss gives Minnesota the same record.

Early on, the game was put out of reach as the Heat went on a 14-4 run to open the contest, led by Bryant’s shooting. Bryant, who had heard chatter leading up the game about Ray Allen’s superior shooting, made this one personal from tip-off. Bryant kept Allen under wraps most of the game, holding his fellow rookie to just 17 points, while he himself scored 36 points on 13-25 shooting.

Young fella was feeling it tonight,” said Dominique Wilkins. “He came out, demanded the ball, and we let him have it … and he let the other side have it. Let me tell you, I was having fun watching him make it rain.”

The Heat jumped out to a 15-point lead in the first, maintained that lead at halftime, and continued to maintain the lead heading into the fourth quarter. With the game seemingly out reach, Heat coach Ronald Bazemore subbed the bench … and the bench promptly gave up a big run, putting the T’Wolves right back into the contest.

Trust — it’s about trust. I trusted the bench to do enough and they did enough,” said Bazemore. “Was I happy we gave up that run? Hell no. But I was happy the bench was unafraid to shoot back, to challenge them … ultimately, that’s all you can ask for.”

With the Heat lead cut down to just a precious seven points midway through the fourth, the starters came back in and battled it out for the victory. Led by Dikembe Mutombo, the Heat’s starting five shut down the passing lanes and forced Minnesota into bad shots.

It was one game,” said T’Wolves star Tim Hardaway. “We went down early and that’s on us, but we ain’t sweating it … they’re not even in our conference. We have better things to worry about.”

Last edited by trekfan; 07-01-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #138
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Heat victory spoils Glen Rice return to South Beach
By Helena Ramirez
January 29th, 1997

Glen Rice, taken by the Heat in 1989, returned to Miami to cheers from his previous team’s fans, but couldn’t get the win. The Heat pummeled the Clippers with ease, thanks in large part to an outstanding night from Dikembe Mutombo, sending Rice and the Clippers to 24-20 while the Heat moved to 32-14.

The opening quarter was a show from the floor as highlight dunks and layups were dotted amongst the play of both teams, but the foul-line ultimately became the sideshow to the contest, as neither team shot better than 50 percent from the free-throw stripe, despite the frequency of fouls.

Even with a disjointed flow to the game, the Heat got out on top thanks to the superb post play of Mutombo, who feasted on the Clippers’ bigs and was only slowed by the whistles of the refs. Mutombo had 12 points and six boards at the half, leading the Heat with his play. Miami had no further trouble from the Clippers, even after Glen Rice found his shot (said shot was completely missing in the first half).

It wasn’t a pretty game, but it was a win,” said Heat head coach Ronald Bazemore. “Some nights, getting the win is all that matters and tonight was one of those nights.”

With the win, Miami hangs onto its third place standing in the conference as the Magic sit just a game behind.

(Author's Note: Forgot to upload the box scores on the last few recaps, I've corrected that -- sorry!)
Old 07-01-2017, 04:23 PM   #139
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

1996-97 Regular Season Update: Valentine's Day Edition

All-Stars

Injury Report

Conference Standings

Things to watch

1. The Miami Heat have moved up to a three-way tie for first in the East, winning their last 9 out of 10 games -- their only loss coming to the Rockets. The Heat lead the league with their home record of 24-1 and are angling to secure homecourt throughout the playoffs.

"It's extremely rare for a team like theirs to be this good this soon," said one NBA executive. "The trade they swung for Bryant at the draft looks brilliant now."

2. Out West, the Timberwolves are doing more of the same, having just tied the Jazz for first in the conference. Riding the veteran playmaking and scoring ability of Tim Hardaway, the T'Wolves are taking the conference by storm -- it looks to be between them and the Jazz for the top two seeds, possibly setting up a very contentious conference finals between the two division rivals.

3. The rest of the West is making their way through the muddled field -- battling for third, fourth, and fifth are the Suns, Clippers, and Mavericks -- behind them, the final three playoff spots are some order of the Nuggets, Rockets, and Lakers. Many league scouts see Houston as a dark horse.

"They've done it before, they'll do it again," said one well-regarded scout. "It doesn't matter where they're seeded, if they make the playoffs they become an extremely dangerous squad."

4. "The Tank for Timmy" still has the Spurs leading the way, as San Antonio has only managed 11 wins all year. Behind them sits the Trail Blazers, Nets, Grizzlies, and Thunder.

"Wherever Duncan goes, that team instantly gets a great player ready to contribute a ton on day one," said former NBA coach Hubie Brown. "Mark my words: All-Star before his rookie deal is up, easily."

5. Detroit was pursuing a playoff spot but aren't any longer, as Grant Hill is injured and out for the remainder of the season. With Hill having his best year -- averaging 24.9 points, 7.7 boards, 6.1 assists and shooting 54 percent from the field, 40 percent from deep -- the Pistons were just a shade above .500. With Hill now gone, the Pistons are likely to try to play out the season by getting their younger players as much time as possible. Expect the trade markets for veteran Otis Thorpe and Michael Curry to heat up as the Pistons look to next season.

6. Big names are rumored to be on the move near the trade deadline, approaching next Thursday. Here's the latest:

- Shawn Kemp and the Sonics are likely headed for a divorce. Kemp wants to be the highest paid player on the team and is infuriated that he's not considered the Sonics best player already.

- Young big man Vin Baker has rejected the Bucks extension offer and will test restricted free agency; Baker has informed the front office that, if they don't let him sign elsewhere, he will accept the one year qualifying offer this summer and become an unrestricted free agent in 1998. Milwaukee is actively seeking a compromise both parties can live with.

- The Suns are sniffing around the trade market, trying to find an upgrade at center. Rumor has it that Phoenix is dangling role players and potentially picks, if the right offer presents itself.

- The Clippers are also looking to beef up their center position and are offering Rodney Rodgers and role players to any team willing to engage in a trade with them. So far, no bites, but Los Angeles is confident they can better their team before the deadline.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #140
Rookie

Maybe the Clippers and Sonics can find a deal somewhere? He'd be a solid addition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #141
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazershow
Maybe the Clippers and Sonics can find a deal somewhere? He'd be a solid addition.

The Clippers are interesting, it's a good destination. Their roommates, the Lakers, could also be intriguing if they have the cap space. Or maybe the Bulls. Pippen + Kemp would be pretty scary. Of course, so is Rice + Kemp and Zo + Kemp.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #142
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazershow

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
The Clippers are interesting, it's a good destination. Their roommates, the Lakers, could also be intriguing if they have the cap space. Or maybe the Bulls. Pippen + Kemp would be pretty scary. Of course, so is Rice + Kemp and Zo + Kemp.
The Clippers certainly could make a decent trade, but I think LAC and SEA aren't going to help one another -- LAC is going to have to pay Glen Rice in two years big money (as he's on a cheap contract now) and they already have a second star in recently signed PG Kenny Anderson (doing good work for them with nearly 18 PPG and 9 APG).

The Lakers are certainly interesting, but I think they're happy enough with their core at this point ... they need a better bench and maybe need to move on from either Eddie Jones or Cedric Ceballos, but I think they'll come together by the time the season ends.

If Kemp is going anywhere, Seattle is shipping him off to the East, where he'll be out of there way -- a number of East teams have decent assets they could send back Seattle's way. Seeing as Kemp wants to be the top dog (and be paid like it), it does limit his potential landing spots, but I have a few places he could go in mind.

As always, thanks for following and stay tuned. I've already completed one trade for the deadline and I think we'll have a few more deals go down before it's all said and done.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #143
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Ch. 14
February 17th, 1997

Phoenix, Arizona. If Ron wasn’t so used to the sand of South Beach, he’d consider this place a good landing spot for himself. But he already had a home … and he liked it there. Especially since he and the team were winning and winning well. They had just beat the Suns at home, 98-90, and the Phoenix crowd wasn’t pleased, but they couldn’t complain. The Suns were still 31-22, while the Heat had just moved to 41-15 — both teams were barely maintaining their spots in their respective conferences.

Throughout the game Ron caught himself remembering a much younger Charles Barkley running up and down the court, dunking on any fool who got in his way. Charles still that to a degree, but the years of wear and tear were beginning to show — if not in the stats, than definitely in the way the man carried himself. Charles just didn’t look like he was moving well out there, but he was still putting up All-Star numbers.

Eventually, that would stop at the rate he was going. The two had some friendly trash-talk before and after the game, but the Suns star didn’t have time to reminisce as Phoenix was heading out early in the morning for a three game road-trip. Life in the NBA rarely allowed for a moment to breath, but the break was coming soon.

And Ron was about to pull a trigger on a deal he’d been negotiating weeks for.

There was a knock at his door and Doc Kirby came in, eyes tired and his mustache a bit droopy. He wasn’t quite as lively as usual, but it had been a long day. “You need a housecall?”

Just an ear, Doc.” Ron shut the hotel door and pulled a bottle of cold-brew coffee from the fridge. “I could use something of a pick-me-up.”

Coffee? At this time of night?”

The bus is where I get most of my sleep anyway,” Ron said as he poured himself a decently sized cup. “Besides, I want to run a few things by you.”

You want to get my advice or have someone agree with a decision you already made?” Doc asked pointedly.

Ron let out a low whistle. “You are cranky.

Doc grumbled a sigh, then pointed at the coffee. “I need a glass and five minutes.”

Ron gave Doc ten minutes — mostly because he had to use the bathroom and regret his decisions from lunch — but when he got back, Doc didn’t look quite as tired. “Better?”

Marginally, but enough.” Doc scratched at his neck, his mustache twitching. “You wouldn’t have called me in here to tell me about something I won’t like, would you?.”

Ron shook his head. “In fact, just the opposite — you’ve been pushing for Rex to get more minutes. I agree, he’s better with starter-level minutes … so I found a place for him.”

Just not in your lineup,” Doc concluded, amused. “Amazing how you frame this as good news — you may have missed your calling as a spin man.”

The Pistons wanted to unload Otis Thorpe — they’re ready to promote Jermaine O’Neal to starter, especially now that Hill is out,” Ron continued. “They want their youth to get some experience, but they don’t want to punt on the season — so, I’m sending them Rex and Billy.”

You’re sending them Billy? I’m sure his agent will be pleased.” Doc shook his head. “Billy deserves some minutes, he’s worked hard.”

I don’t go that deep into my rotation unless I have to.” Ron sipped at his coffee. “I feel bad, don’t get me wrong, but Billy was there in case of emergencies. Well, the Pistons have an emergency — he’ll be the starter the rest of the year and get a chance to secure a spot on that roster long-term if he does well.”

And Rex will get his starter minutes, since he’s a far superior player to anyone they have at the two.” Doc held out his hand. “And what, pray tell, do we get?”

Not Thorpe — as much as I thought about it, he wouldn’t have worked here. He wants to be a starter and we have that locked down … so, I called Colangelo.”

You got Charles some help, didn’t you?” It wasn’t such much a question as it was a semi-serious accusation. “Ron, you didn’t have to. You probably shouldn’t have.”

Ron stared into his cup, shaking his head. “Look … he’s the only one of us to stick to the NBA all these years. You took a break, I was overseas, but he was here, fighting for the championship we could never get at Auburn. He’s 33-years-old now, he’s not getting any younger.”

You’re the coach of this team, not his,” Doc countered with a sigh. “I understand your position, however.”

I didn’t gift them anything — legitimately, I believe Thorpe is better off as a starter somewhere else. So, I took both the Williams’ from Phoenix and a 1999 first rounder. I sent them our first for this year to grease the wheels, something Colangelo can use to save face if he needs it.”

He’ll frame it as a win-now move with the core they have, but one that gives them hope in the future.” Doc nodded. “I can see where that might be useful.”

Detroit sent us David Wingate, too … they’ll meet us in Dallas tomorrow. I’m using them straight away.”

Doc stood from his chair. “I’ll get in contact with the teams trainers, get their records sent over. Both the Williams’ are beat up, but I think I can keep them walking.”

We’ll need them in the playoffs, Doc. From now until the playoffs start, it’s just practice … we’re guaranteed a spot at this point.” Ron leaned forward, hands clasped together. “I just hope I made the right call.”

For us or for Charles?”

Ron let out a deep sigh. “For everyone.”
Old 07-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #144
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Heat trade Chapman, Owens, in three-team deal
By Helena Ramirez
February 18th, 1997

The Heat are back in the news, the first team to consummate a deal prior to the trade deadline. Here are the details

Trade

Heat get: David Wingate (DET), Herb Williams (PHX), Hot Rod Williams (PHX), 1999 1st round pick (PHX)
Pistons get: Rex Chapman (MIA), Billy Owens (MIA)
Suns get: Otis Thorpe (DET), 1997 1st round pick (MIA)

Analysis:

The Suns have finally found a solution to their center problem, converting both the Williams’ (neither particularly effective as a starter) to veteran Otis Thorpe, who — in just a little over 26 minutes a night — was putting up 11 points and nearly eight rebounds. Thorpe was slowly being phased out as rookie Jermaine O’Neal was getting more minutes up in Detroit, but in Phoenix the starting job is his and his alone. Thorpe’s ability to man the middle will help Phoenix greatly as they prepare to go up against a gauntlet of big men during the stretch run that will likely see them matched up with one of those big men in the playoffs.

The Pistons were dealt an unfortunate bit of news earlier in the month when Grant Hill was ruled out for the remainder of the season with an injury — Detroit, only a few games over .500, decided to shift their focus on developing their young players and preparing for next year. The trade of Thorpe fully thrusts O’Neal into the starting role, a jump the rookie should be more than comfortable making after spending over half the season as the first big off the bench. Detroit got back Chapman, a bona-fide sharpshooter who excels far more as a starter than a bench player (as a starter, Chapman scored a little over 12 points a game on 45 percent from the field and 38 percent from deep — as a bench player, Chapman was only scoring four points a game on 37 percent from the field and 31 percent from deep). Billy Owens, buried on the Heat bench since the start of the season, will finally get to see some playing time on the Pistons and will likely secure a solid backup role for next season if he performs as expected.

For the Heat, this addresses the biggest concern on the roster — the center position. After the trade of Matt Geiger, Miami has thrived off running smaller lineups against other teams, but back-to-back losses against the Bulls and Knicks in late December may have prompted a rethinking of that strategy. Miami will have two more matchups with the Knicks, one more with the Magic, and one more with the Bulls to determine if the addition of the Williams’ will help or hurt the team. The addition of more big bodies should help Miami protect the paint better … assuming either of the Williams’ can stay on the floor. Phoenix managed to keep Herb Williams, 38-years-old, in good shape but Hot-Rod Williams has only played 12 games this season, largely due to the training staff’s insistence that he be placed on a strict minutes limit. For the Heat, the success of this trade may not even be known this year as Coach Bazemore continues to stockpile future draft picks — this one in 1999 — and, as such, judging the trade with that pick unknown would be somewhat unfair. Still, Chapman’s meager bench contributions should be easily replaced by either Herb Williams, David Wingate, or another Heat player and Bazemore has, once again, proven he’s unafraid to shake-up the team if he sees a weakness that needs to be addressed. It may not make any of the Heat’s players feel any safer, but the team, the organization, and the fans should take a measure of comfort in knowing Bazemore is willing to change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »