Home

You Don't Know Jack: A Pacers Story

This is a discussion on You Don't Know Jack: A Pacers Story within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #177
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: You Don't Know Jack: A Pacers Story

LOL, loving the Horizon tie-in!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #178
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

OVR: 0

Great to see this back in Action
Old 06-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #179
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

PTI: June 14th, 2019

W: Pardon the Interruption, but I’m Mike Wilbon — Tony, temperatures in DC are the hottest they’ve been in a decade! How are you coping with the heat?

K: I’m Tony Kornheiser, and I’m coping with it the only way I know how: I’m commando.

W: Please don’t. Our viewers don’t need that image in their brains and neither do I!

K: It works! It’s the opposite of layer dressing in the winter!

W: *laughter*

K: Welcome to PTI, boys and girls! In today’s episode, we talk NBA rumors, we revisit the NBA Draft order and we dish out some draft talk but we begin today with the news that’s caught a lot of people by surprise: the NBA is expanding. That, in of itself, was expected, but what wasn’t expected was the when: this year! The owners unanimously voted to move up the timetable of the new expansion teams — Seattle and Mexico City — from 2020 to the 2019 season. Wilbon, as our resident NBA insider and the last one of us who does any actual reporting, why the change of heart and how will this affect the offseason?

W: There’s a lot to unpack, but it boils down to a few things. One, the NBA Finals — the Warriors were swept and performed about as poorly as any team could against an underdog. The ratings for that? Through the roof. The numbers are staggering at how well the fall of the Warriors sold to the fans and the new, fresh blood pumping into the NBA — led by the youngest Finals MVP in NBA history, Mister Jack Tate — combined with the value of everyone’s franchises going up made the owners reconsider the timetable. If they waited a year, would things be even better? Maybe. But the overwhelming feeling was ‘strike while the iron is hot’ and the NBA is the hottest league right now. All that was holding it back was the monotony of yet another Cavs Warriors finals, but that was avoided. Enthusiasm for all teams is really high.

K: And the owners in the lottery were fine giving up the fourth and fifth picks to the expansion teams? I can’t believe that, I’d hate it!

W: Of course you would, because you’re a grouch — but the owners were okay with it and the reason why is singular — most front offices around the league believe there are only three players in this class who could really change your team’s fortune for the better. Three guys — the rest of the draft is, to quote one GM, ‘a bunch of role players and an occasional set of starters.’ The owners know this and they figured get the expansion teams in now, let them take their high picks, and get it over with. The 2020 class is where the superstar talent is in bulk — having a lottery pick in that class will be HUGE, but not this year.

K: Let’s just take a look at the revised pick order now.

K: Look! Look at where the Sonics and Aztecs are! Sitting above historic franchises like the Hawks and Celtics, even the Heat!

W: It’s only you and some fans who have a problem with it — the NBA is a league that’s looking ahead to the next big thing, Tony, and the next big thing is the 7’2” monster — and presumed first overall pick — Monty Fuller. The center from K-State is the big of the future, a shooter, a passer, a posterizer, a defender and the Suns aren’t even entertaining offers for him — with a frontline of their 2016 8th overall pick in Chriss and Kanter, whom they signed last summer, the Suns need what Fuller brings. But with a roster with so many young players already, should the Suns consider trading the pick — much like Danny Ainge did in 2017?

K: The Suns are STUPID for not trading this pick. He’s the best player — by a long way — in this class, right?

W: Very likely — lots of rawer players behind him that could make a difference in year one, but no one else is as polished as Fuller.

K: And the Suns have been terrible for years! It’s time for them to make a move towards winning some games, not staying in the lottery for the next decade! The team behind them, the Magic, is the team that Phoenix should look at and fear becoming. The Magic have been in the lottery for the last seven years and have been through so many coaches and scouts, you might as well call them the Browns of the NBA. The Suns have a history, a dedicated fanbase, and it’s time for them to cash in — how long will Booker stay there like this?

W: Not long if rumors are to be believed, Tony. Booker has made it very clear he’s not signing any long-term extension with Phoenix unless a big move is made to get him some legitimate help. He wants to play in the postseason, he wants to get a title, and the way the Pacers went out and built a title team in two years is very much on Booker’s mind; he saw what they did in Indiana and he wants the Suns to do the same. Young players across the league have taken notice of what the Pacers ownership and front office did and, sure, it’s a unique circumstance with Jack Tate’s grandfather owning the team, but it still shows the players on other teams what making moves to win looks like.

K: Absolutely! Which is why the Suns needs to go to Booker and say, ‘We’re trading this pick for a big star to help get you into the playoffs and to get this team competing!’ and if they don’t do that, then Booker will sign his QA this summer and go into next summer as a free man — he can go wherever he wants! Speaking of someone who wants to go somewhere else, the loser of the Finals, the Warriors, are a team that’s angry — and it’s not directed outwards. Reports out of the bay say that the exit meetings between players and the front office have revealed a divide in the locker room between certain players, though whom the players are remain a mystery. Wilbon, two part question: one, who do you think the divide is between and, two, is this the end of the Warriors as we know them?

W: This happens to every championship team — every single one. There comes a point where the pressure and the stress wear on guys and instead of going after the other team, they go after each other. If I had to take a guess as to who one of the parties is, I’d guess Draymond Green — he’s a passionate, high-energy guy who will light into someone he doesn’t think is doing their job; coaches, players, crew, whomever. I think Green is on one side of this, but I’m having a tough time thinking who’s on the other side. Whatever the case, this team will look different next fall — a lot different, I think.

K: I agree with your guess of Green and I think I got the other player in this: Durant. He’s the newest ‘big star’ Warrior and was brought in to get that ring. He got one, they lost to the Rockets in the 2018 conference finals and then they lost to the Pacers — the Pacers! — in this year’s Finals. I think Green’s turned on the guy he recruited because, like you said, he doesn’t think Durant’s done his job. Durant was good in Game 1 and Game 4 and was an absolute ghost in the other two games. You can’t be that passive in the Finals, Mike, you just can’t!

W: It might be Durant, but I could see it being Curry — frankly, he’s overshadowed on his own team by Durant and sometimes Green. I could see him chafing with that and, if that’s the case, I could see the Warriors and him parting ways now while they can get good value for them and he can choose his spot. Kemba is a free agent in Charlotte and you don’t think Michael Jordan wouldn’t love to get Curry leading that franchise? It’s be a huge win for him.

K: I still think it’s Durant. Let’s take a break … when we come back, we sit down with our dear friend Brian Windhorst to talk more NBA and the one person we haven’t mentioned yet: LeBron!

W: Are you gonna ask if LeBron will force his way to the Knicks?

K: We got the third overall pick and young talent! New York’s calling, LeBron, come to the big city!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #180
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

well look who the cat drug in
Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #181
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
well look who the cat drug in

I know, right? I'm not dead. Needed a break from 2K, so switched the Madden the last few months but now that basketball season is nearly over (please, Golden State, put Cleveland out of its misery the next game), I am regenerated and ready to go.

Lots of interesting moves that have happened in this offseason.

And I have a lot of catching up to do with your dynasty thread and a few others (will get to that soon!).

Stay tuned as I have the offseason done (big moves for some teams you wouldn't expect -- the luxury tax is a pain).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #182
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Taking a break like can really make things fresh so it doesn't get boring. Its nice to you and Jeremy back to close things out until 2k19 drops

I can't wait to read your offseason stuff and even with all the big $ off the books going forward for teams the cap thing wasn't quite as easy as I expected.

Good job on the PTI thing I still watch that show everyday
Old 06-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #183
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
Taking a break like can really make things fresh so it doesn't get boring. Its nice to you and Jeremy back to close things out until 2k19 drops

I can't wait to read your offseason stuff and even with all the big $ off the books going forward for teams the cap thing wasn't quite as easy as I expected.

Good job on the PTI thing I still watch that show everyday

Yeah, the break really helped reinforce how much I like this game. Not sure about 2K19 ... I've been buying the game for three years straight on launch, but man those microtransactions were INSANE this year and I'm really locked into this dynasty (so many future storylines to cover). Really wanting to take a pass unless there's a huge feature in 2K19 or they finally get around to fixing some lingering legacy issues. I can't complain, I've enjoyed each of the last three 2Ks a ton.

As for the team cap stuff, I saw the contract stuff in your 'chise and the game, on default, WAY overvalues contracts for a lot of players. Really only the LeBron/Harden/Curry/Durant/Westbrook types can get the $40M a year type of money, and the game doesn't do a good enough job of the players themselves understanding that if they take that money, they hamstring their team's cap to hell and back and make it hard for other talent to help them.

What I do for most players is switch their position to somewhere were they're weaker -- say a star center (almost all of them demand too much anyway) to a PF or a SF -- or if they're an older center (say, Dwight Howard) who have had a few down years and still think they're worth max money, I change them to a PG and engage in contract talks with them for extensions (in-season) or in free agency. This usually results in the "ring chaser" deal where they sign for the minimum (or much, much less than usual) with a good team to go after a ring (like David West).

Changing their positions during the offseason is harder for free agents, but you can find them as a player in the "All Players" tab of the team rosters in MyLeague (go one past the 76ers) and change them there. Their demands usually become much more reasonable. I tend to wait till after the player progression screen to do most free agent signings anyway as I only send the surefire guys to whatever team they need to go to (and player progression really should be before the draft/free agency anyway so you can properly evaluate your team's talent, but whatever).

ALSO, I figured out why the expansion teams draft automatically -- when you add them to the league, their team control settings are all set to auto even if your global settings for all the other teams are set to manual. I discovered that too with my expansion teams and restarted my offseason because of it (luckily I wasn't far into it) but, yeah, when you add expansion teams you have to set their settings to what you want manually -- they don't inherit the settings you have for anyone else.

And I still watch PTI too -- have been since 2002, LOVE that show. I hope it stays on forever.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #184
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

2019 OFFSEASON NEWS

Retirements:

Tate's Take:

Well, so ended the career of Vince Carter, Pau Gasol, and Manu Ginobli. Three guys, three different careers, but every one of them deserving of accolades. Also retiring official was Chris Bosh … *uck man, seeing Bosh’s career get derailed by blood clots (of all things) was something else. Seeing a great get sidelined like that just reinforced how short the career of a player — even in the NBA — was.

Carter and Gasol were sure-fire first ballot hall of famers. The league saw a lot of guys go that summer and with so many veterans retiring, it left the door wide open for young guys to make the rosters.

Expansion News:

Tate's Take

The expansion teams took two different tactics — Seattle wanted to be good immediately while the Aztecs decided to go slow and steady with youth and lots of expiring deals.

But the sweep of the Warriors — at our hands — set off a chain reaction within that locker room. Green and Durant became enemies, as Green blamed Durant’s defense as the reason they lost the series. Durant wanted nothing to do with it and forced his way out of the Warriors, telling them he’d exercise his player option next summer and leave them with nothing.
He wanted to go to Seattle and Golden State, forced to employ a feuding Durant and Green, agreed to trade him. Seattle knew it was coming — their expansion draft proved that, they went after players who could contribute immediately — and Durant was traded for a bounty.

Durant had worked his way back to Seattle and the Warriors, by virtue of that fourth overall pick and the lack of Durant’s salary, had a bit of breathing room. With Green’s extension coming up, they were going to need all the money they could to lock him down.

Durant got to go to a place he always loved and honestly, I was glad for him. The Sonics never should have left and it felt right that Durant got to go back there. Plus, he was no longer on the Warriors and had added another obstacle in their path back to the Finals. Good.

Coaches Fired:

Terry Stotts (POR)

Fred Hoiberg (CHI)

Frank Vogel (ORL)

Mike Budenholzer (ATL)

Coaches Hired:

Mike Budenholzer (POR)

Sam Cassell (CHI)

Terry Stotts (ORL)

Larry Drew (ATL) - Back as HC for a second stint

David Fizdale (MEM) - Re-signed

Pau Gasol — Assistant (MEM)

Monty Williams (SEA) - first HC job since being fired by NOLA

Jeff Horancek (MEX)

Hot Seat 2019-20

Nate McMillian (PHX) - Can the Suns get closer to .500? Progress needs to happen.

Steve Clifford (CHA) - An ECF appearance has bought him a bit of time but an underwhelming year could end him.

Stan Van Gundy (DET) - Another low-seeded playoff appearance and a roster that’s primed to be reshuffled next summer … can SVG survive long enough to oversee that?

Dave Joeger (SAC) - Kings ownership is growing inpatient as Sacramento continues to slowly build its way up.

Draft Lottery Results:

Tate's Take

The Suns got the top overall selection and for all the world looked set to take Fuller, and who could blame them? Enes Kanter wasn’t a long term answer at the five and it didn’t seem Bender was either. The players behind Fuller could be good ones, but there were a lot of question marks … once again, the Magic got slotted into the second spot and with the firing of Vogel and hiring of Stotts, Orlando was prepping for a playoff run or a mass rebuild. Stotts could probably get the most out of Dragic, but did Orlando really want to make the playoffs that bad? It sure seemed like it.

Meanwhile the Knicks got the third pick and they were, of course, trying to trade it for immediate help — ownership was inpatient as hell and after witnessing the Durant trade, New York was convinced they could trade that pick for LeBron (spoiler: they don’t).

The draft was pretty weak outside the top-ten and the Celtics were desperate to unload Marcus Smart to some team for cap relief or a star player. Irving missing nearly 30 games the year before wrecked their season and it was clear that Gordon Hayward couldn’t carry a team by himself — he needed Irving and Irving was a free agent … would he bolt Boston? The Celtics weren’t sure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »