Home

One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter.

This is a discussion on One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter. within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #65
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Knicks Van Gundy Resigns.

Jeff Van Gundy resigns from Knicks.

December 23rd, 2001 | by espn.com

Jeff Van Gundy resigned unexpectedly today as head coach of the New York Knicks, in the midst of a 4 game losing streak.

The stunning decision came a day after Van Gundy angrily ended practice early because he thought his players lacked intensity. He said he had been considering resigning since the summer and finally decided to do so because he had "lost focus" as a coach.

"In my heart I knew what was right, but it was still a difficult decision to come to," Van Gundy said at the team's practice facility.

"I didn't feel my focus was at its best. I didn't want to hurt our team. I certainly don't regret the effort I put forth. I just think it's time to step back and let the team move on."

Van Gundy said he had spoken with team president Scott Layden several times since the summer to express how he was feeling and that he decided Wednesday -- the day after a 99- 75 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers that enough was enough.

He is the first NBA coach to resign or be fired this season.

"I'm going to step back and exhale for the first time in 13 years," Van Gundy said. "When I told my daughter today, she said: 'Does this mean you get to have lunch with me?' So that's cool."

Van Gundy told the players of his decision at their morning shoot-around.

"We were all shocked. I didn't see this coming at all," guard Mark Jackson said.

Van Gundy took the Knicks to the playoffs in each of his first six seasons, including a trip to the 1999 NBA Finals and two trips to the Eastern Conference finals.

Assistant Don Chaney will take charge of the Knicks Christmas day game against the Bulls.

The Knicks have lost 7 of their last 8 games, with only a solitary win over the Supersonics to show for a horrible last two weeks. The Knicks now are 16-17 and are still in the playoff hunt in 8th place. They are being hunted down by the Milwaukee Bucks and 76ers who are almost back to full health.

Van Gundy, 39, had been a member of the Knicks' staff since 1989, serving as an assistant under Pat Riley, Don Nelson and Stu Jackson.

Van Gundy's only other head coaching job was at McQuaid Jesuit High School in Rochester, N.Y.

He leaves as the third-winningest coach in team history with a record of 248-172, including 10-9 this season, his seventh.

"He said he wanted to spend more time with his family. He's a little burned out," guard Howard Eisley said.

Van Gundy had two years remaining on his contract and was due to be paid about $7.5 million. He said he had no idea what his future holds but added that he loves coaching in the NBA.

Jeff Van Gundy is the third-winningest coach in Knicks history, with a 248-172 record in six-plus seasons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #66
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Knicks Van Gundy Resigns.

Nice to see the Wizards continuing their winning ways -- Jordan continues to look good in his late age.

JVG resigning is something I totally forgot about -- he and his brother both just seem to have a limit on how long they can coach before they need to step back. I'd love to see JVG and SVG on the same broadcast team at some point in the near future.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #67
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Re: Knicks Van Gundy Resigns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Nice to see the Wizards continuing their winning ways -- Jordan continues to look good in his late age.

JVG resigning is something I totally forgot about -- he and his brother both just seem to have a limit on how long they can coach before they need to step back. I'd love to see JVG and SVG on the same broadcast team at some point in the near future.
Yeah he's playing well almost every night. Roster really clicking now. Nets and Pacers are hot on my heels. Had a nice run of winnable games and took advantage luckily.

Yea JVG resiging was a shock, but standing at 16-17 it made sense to include it now. There is a developing storyline there to keep an eye out for, just like with Hornets and Sonics.

Yea Van Gundy bros would be great on broadcast together!!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #68
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Game 33 Wizards @ Celtics

'The Truth' Leads Celts to win over Wizards.

December 25th, 2001 | by NBA.COM

Christmas came early for the Celtics as Paul Pierce won the first match-up against Jordan this season. With it the Celtics close ground on the Wizards. Behind Pierce, and Antoine Walker, the Celtics have been playing better each week. Pierce hit 32 points on 20 shots. That included an impressive 5-9 from threes. Jordan was matched up on Pierce for most of the night, but he couldn't slow him down. Pierce was too strong and too athletic for him.

Antoine Walker also had a great night for the C's with 22 points, 11 rebounds and 9 assists. He hit on 4-8 three pointers as the Celtics big two outgunned the Wizards big two in Jordan and Hamilton. Hamilton did his best to keep pace with 22 points but his 7-18 shooting shows just how well Boston defended him. Jordan shot well but he didn't get much space to operate all night as Pierce was determined to keep him quiet.

This was a big statement win for the Celtics, who have been buoyed by the played of rookie Joe Johnson. With Johnson, Pierce and Walker as the 2-3-4, the Celtics have a nice young core to possibly develop. The Wizards downfall was their poor shooting and poor defense. They did not deal with double teams, as Celtics Coach Jim O' Brien gave Jordan and Hamilton tough looks all night.

Patrick Ewing and Christian Laettner battled hard in the post, but Vitaly Potapenko and the mobile shooting machine Antoine Walker gave them fits defensively. The Wizards will have to dust theirselves down for a tough matchup against the Hawks who have a similar team to Boston, with a shooting 4 in Abdur Rahim, and a high scoring machine in Jason Terry.

Box Score
Spoiler
Old 07-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #69
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Games 34 - 36

Jordan's 26 tame's the Bulls.

December 31st, 2001 | by NBA.COM

Box Score
Spoiler

Box Score
Spoiler

Box Score
Spoiler
Old 07-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #70
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

January 1st 2002 Standings

Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #71
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Fast Forward to February 1st - Simmed Month

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #72
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Grant Hill done for season.

Grant Hill injures ankle, out for season.

February 1st, 2002 | by espn.com

Fleeting comments can have lingering implications, so when word came Tuesday that Grant Hill's latest ankle injury would sideline him for the remainder of the season, the buzz of Charles Barkley's comments two weeks ago was still in the air.

Hobbled by ankle injuries, Grant Hill has been a rare sight on the court for the Orlando Magic. "When you're wearing cheap shoes, and you don't wear Nike, it's going to happen. They gave him all that money to wear those cheap Filas," Barkley, the NBA star-turned-basketball analyst, said during TNT broadcast in January when Hill was sidelined then for a fourth consecutive game after a short-lived comeback from offseason ankle surgery.

Hill signed a seven-year, $80 million endorsement deal with Fila in September 1997 and remains among the company's highest-profile pitchmen. But since signing a seven-year, $93 million player contract as a free agent this season, Hill has played only 18 games with the Orlando Magic. Ankle problems, to be sure, have cost him the bulk of his playing time. Hill has had three surgeries in a 20-month span on his left ankle -- the first in April 2000, a second in January and a third Wednesday morning.

According to the Magic's team physician, Dr. Joe Billings, Hill could resume physical activity in the summer. Wearing Fila shoes, his agent, Lon Babby added.

Babby takes exception to Barkley's comment: "Grant's been wearing Filas since he's been a rookie in the league and he first broke his ankle in the sixth season. That's why it is pretty unfair and dangerous to make that connection."

Barkley, it should be noted, wore Nike shoes during his 16-year NBA career, and he remains a paid endorser to this day.

"I wouldn't take too much stock in Barkley's offhand comment," said Howe Burch, senior vice president of sports marketing for Fila USA, who pointed out that Hill's shoes are custom made.

Connection or not, news that Hill will be sidelined for the remainder of the season wasn't what Fila executives wanted to hear either. Since Hill entered the league in 1994, Fila has designed and named a shoe for him each season.

"Grant Hill is certainly one player who transcends play on the court, but him not playing doesn't help Fila too much," said Frank Vuono, a partner of 16W Marketing, a sports marketing firm. "If he were endorsing a cologne or credit card or something to do with lifestyle more than something to do with basketball, it wouldn't hurt so much."

The Magic are currently bottom of the East and have the worst record in the league. Not exactly what the Magic pictured when they almost signed a big three of Hill, McGrady and Duncan. McGrady has had to lead his roster in scoring, assists, steals and blocks every night. Even with Hill the roster was not as strong as first hoped. The only silver lining is the Magic could be earning a golden ticket to the 2002 NBA Draft jackpot, and a chance to draft Chinese sensation Yao Ming. The most touted International prospect ever. The Magic need all the help they get, and will try to make the best of a bad situation.

Last edited by RMJH4; 07-18-2018 at 06:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »