Home

One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter.

This is a discussion on One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter. within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
Operation Sports Is Looking for Folks Who Want to Create Great Videos
WWE 2K21 Needs a True MyGM/Booker Mode
FIFA 20 CONMEBOL Libertadores Impressions: A Missed Opportunity
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 06-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Retro NBA Nut

seaboh's Arena

OVR: 19
One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter (Wizards get #1 Seed!)

One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter.
September 25th, 2001

WASHINGTON -- The worst-kept secret in sports is out: Michael Jordan will play again in the NBA -- and not just for one season, but two.

After months of hints, smiles and winks that kept his fans on edge, Jordan finally announced his comeback Tuesday, saying he would play for the Washington Wizards through 2003 and donate his salary the first year -- $1 million -- to victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"I am returning as a player to the game I love," said Jordan, 38 and three years removed from what seemed to be a storybook ending to an unparalleled career. "I am especially excited about the Washington Wizards, and I'm convinced we have the foundation on which to build a playoff-contention team.

"The opportunity to teach our young players and help them elevate their game to a higher level, and to thank the fans in Washington for their loyalty and support, strongly influenced my decision," he said in a statement issued through his management agency.

The five-time league Most Valuable Player, who retired for a second time in 1999 after leading the Chicago Bulls to their sixth title of the decade, made it official after clearing up a licensing issue with one of his sponsors -- a disagreement that delayed the announcement by a day. NBA rules also required Jordan to sell his ownership stake in the Wizards.

Jordan never completely ruled out a comeback when he retired in January 1999, hedging his bets with the statement that he was "99.9 percent" certain he would never play again. Leaving the door open, even by one-tenth of 1 percent, meant Jordan could slip back into a uniform without going back on his word.

Now, he has.

"I am happy to welcome Michael Jordan, the player, back to the NBA, although, as commissioner, I am sorry to lose him in the board room," NBA commissioner David Stern said. "Michael has always brought joy to basketball fans around the world, and, in these difficult times, we can all use a little more joy in our lives."

Jordan's announcement was sure to hearten a city -- and entire country -- shocked by terrorism. Washington's economy has suffered since the Sept. 11 attacks, with Reagan National Airport remaining closed and hotel bookings far below capacity.

"This is certainly an extremely important moment in the history of our franchise, however our excitement is muted by the world events that surround us," Wizards owner Abe Pollin said.

"The greatest player in the history of the game is joining my team, and for that I am extremely honored and pleased."

Jordan will be in the unusual position of playing for the coach he hired, Doug Collins, who joined the Wizards in April and also coached Jordan for three seasons with the Bulls in the 1980s. Jordan will share the court with players he signed, drafted and traded for, including high school sensation Kwame Brown, selected No. 1 overall by the Wizards in June, and veteran forward Christian Laettner -- a graduate of Duke, the archrival of Jordan's alma mater, North Carolina.
Platform:NBA 2K18 PC
Rosters: 2001-02 In Progress (My Own )
Seaboh13's 2001-02 PC Roster

Last edited by seaboh; 08-13-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
Retro NBA Nut

seaboh's Arena

Schedule and Recaps

2001-02 Season
Game 1 - 76ers vs Wizards
Game 2 - Pistons v Wizards
Game 3 Wizards @ Nuggets
Game 4 - Wizards @ Lakers
Game 5 - Wizards @ Warriors
Game 6 - Wizards @ Kings
Game 7 - Wizards vs Suns
Game 8 Wizards v Cavs
Game 9 - Wizards @ Raptors
Weekly Roundup, November 5 - 12.
Mid November Roundup
Game 17 - Wizards @ Bucks
Game 18 - Wizards @ Hornets
Games 19 thru 25.
Game 26 - Wizards @ Clippers
Game 27 - Wizards @ Nets
Games 28 - 32
ame 33 Wizards @ Celtics
Games 34 - 36
Fast Forward to February 1st
Wizards @ Magic
Wizards go 0-3 heading into All Star Break
Games Thru March 31st
Games 77 - 79
Wizards clinch #1 seed in Eastern Conference

All Star Weekend.
2002 All Star Weekend

NBA Playoffs.
NBA Playoff Schedule
Wizards take Game 1 in Style
Hamilton hits game Winner.
Magic bounce back.
Jordan wins it in OT.
Round 1 Results
Wizards take Game 1.
Nets blowout win ties series at 1-1.
Nets grab Game 3, take 2-1 lead.
Kidd hits 32 as Nets Grab 3-1 lead
Wizards hang in, grab Game 5.
Jordan forces Game 7.
Wizards win Game 7, head to Eastern Conference Finals.
Round 2 Results.
The Truth hurts, as Celtics take Game One.
Jordan still has that Magic, Wizards tie series 1-1.
No through path for Jordan and Wizards.
Pierce buries Wizards with 44.
Celtics win Eastern Conference Title.
Round 3 Results.

2002-03 Season

Last edited by seaboh; 08-13-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Retro NBA Nut

seaboh's Arena

Wizards Sign Patrick Ewing

Wizards sign Patrick Ewing.

September 26th, 2001 | by espn.com

WASHINGTON, DC. The Washington Wizards, hoping Patrick Ewing can solve their problems in the post, signed the free agent center to a contract Wednesday. "It wasn't a money issue," Ewing said. "It's about being somewhere where you're wanted, somewhere where you can make a difference, somewhere where you can be happy. After all those year's playing in Georgetown, I'm finally home."

Shortly after signing Michael Jordan, it was of no surprise that Ewing, 38 followed suit. Ewing is an 11-time All-Star and has been a past teammate of Jordan's with the Dream-Team in 1992 being the highlight. "We have a lot of young talent on this team, but we did need some experience. For Kwame Brown, Patrick can be instrumental to his development. Ewing is a pro's pro," said Wizards coach Doug Collins.

"We needed guys who have gone through the wars of the playoffs, who could tell our young guys what it's going to be like. In adding Michael and Patrick this week, we couldn't ask for better." Ewing played with the New York Knicks for 15 seasons before being traded to Seattle last summer.

With the Sonics, the 7-foot Ewing posted averaged 9.6 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game and shot 43 percent. Ewing said his advanced age won't be a liability. "Age is a state of mind," said Ewing, who turns 39 on Aug. 5.

"Naturally, I'm not the same athlete I was when I was younger, but in some ways I think I'm better than I was then. I know the game better; I'm mentally stronger." said Ewing.

"Watching the Wizards play last season, I'm like, 'This team, it needs more help in the post'" Ewing said. "I think I will fit in good on this team." On draft night, the Wizards selected High Schooler center/power forward Kwame Brown, a 7-footer, with the #1 pick in the draft. Joining them in a 3 man center rotation is 3rd year pro Jahidi White.

The Wizards need a lot more than a center this year. But with Jordan and Ewing's experience, they may help guide the Wizards in the right direction this season. Christian Laettner resigned with this Wizards this summer to a 4 year deal. The Wizards don't seem to be finished reshaping their roster yet. Watch this space.

Last edited by seaboh; 06-19-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #6
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Wizards Sign Patrick Ewing

Oh hell yes! This is a great foundation for a story, love the idea of Jordan getting with Ewing -- Jordan never had a dominant post player to work with during his prime years and though the two vets are well-past that, their combination might bring out the best in them.

Count me as a follower, interested to see where you take this.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #7
Retro NBA Nut

seaboh's Arena

Re: Wizards Sign Patrick Ewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Oh hell yes! This is a great foundation for a story, love the idea of Jordan getting with Ewing -- Jordan never had a dominant post player to work with during his prime years and though the two vets are well-past that, their combination might bring out the best in them.

Count me as a follower, interested to see where you take this.
Thanks trekfan! Got a lot of stuff lined up for this. Heavily inspired by your stories, especially Saving Seattle. 👍
Old 06-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
Rookie

Stout's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: One Last Shot: Jordan's Final Chapter.

Really excited to see what you can do with these final years and how you can change NBA history. So is the idea to just play MJ's final seasons, or to play those and then build the Wizards after?

Yankees, Jets, Nets, Orangemen, #RollOwls.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »