Home

Unfinished Business: The Story of the New York Knicks.

This is a discussion on Unfinished Business: The Story of the New York Knicks. within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
Back to the Future: The Vince Carter Story

Vincent Lamar "Vince" Carter is a former American professional basketball player who last played for the Atlanta Hawks in the 2019-20 season. He was a shooting guard and small forward early in his career but finished as a power forward.

After winning the 1v1 series versus Grant Hill this week, Carter was crowned the Back to the Future series Champ. What's the prize? An opportunity to get in the DeLorean and go back to any point in his career and start from there.

RMJH: "Vince congrats on your victory, how does it feel?"

VC: "Great man. It was worth entering to see all those old dudes again, and great to have that series against Grant. It was tough going but I did enough to get the W."

RMJH4:" It sure gave the fans a great few moments to remember and reminisce about Vince." Now onto the order of the day. Where and when do you want to go back to?"

VC: "Well I have had an incredible career man. So hard to narrow it down, I have been going back and forward for the last week. Eventually I narrowed it down to two years really after a lot of soul searching.

Option 1: 2009-10 season when I joined the Magic and teamed up with Dwight Howard. We were so close to making the finals. I am darn sure if we did it again we would have beat the Celtics.

Option 2: 2000-01 season. This was the year Tracy left to join the Magic. We made it to the Eastern Conference Semi Finals where I missed that shot vs the 76ers. Philly would go on to make the finals. A different day, I make that shot and we reach the finals. But that's not all I'd change. I'd go back to the offseason before it and beg Tracy to stay."

RMJH4 "Wow two great options Vince! So what's your final decision?"

VC "It's got to be Toronto man. I'll make Tracy stay this time around. He's already told me how I could have changed his mind. He regrets leaving. I can do it. I pick Toronto in 2000-01 offseason for my back to the future series."

RMH4: "Thanks Vince. I think we will all agree that no matter what you chose it would be great, but this has the potential to be an all time great story. Good Luck Vince."

System: NBA2K20 PC Player Lock - Vince Carter
Rosters: 2000-01 In Progress (RMJH4)
Sliders: 2000s (RMJH4)
Quarter Length: 10 Minutes
Draft Class: 2000 and 2001 Drafts (RMJH4)
Season Length: 82 Games
Playoff Format: 5-7-7-7
Injuries: On
Progressive Fatigue: On
Player Roles: On
Team Chemistry: On
CPU Trades: On
Trade Override: Off

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Storylines and News Articles

Vince Carter Career Retrospective.

Mainland High School (1991 - 1995)

North Carolina Tarheels (1995 - 1998)

Toronto Raptors (1998–Present)

Awards.

It should come as no surprise that "Vinsanity" is one of the more decorated players in league history. In 7 seasons he has received the following awards:

1x NBA All-Star (2000)
All-NBA Third Team (2000)
NBA Rookie of the Year (1999)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1999)
NBA Slam Dunk Champion (2000)
Olympic Gold Medal (2000)

Rookie Sensation.

Debuting in the NBA's lockout-shortened 1999 season — the fourth for the fledgling Raptors — Carter quickly became a fan favourite with a soaring offensive game that earned him the nickname "Air Canada." He won rookie of the year honours after averaging 18.3 points and throwing down countless highlight-reel dunks.

Slam Dunk Champ.

Carter ascended to full-fledged stardom in his second season, when he scored 25.7 points per game (fourth-highest in the league) and lifted Toronto to its first playoff appearance in franchise history. But his most memorable moment came at the Slam Dunk Contest during the NBA's All-Star Weekend in Oakland, where Carter delivered perhaps the greatest performance in the history of the event.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #3
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Schedule and Recaps

2000-01 Schedule.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Team Roster

Depth Chart.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Los Angeles Clippers hire Phil Jackson

Depth Chart.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Knicks trade for Crawford and Pippen

Raptors draft Primoz Brezec with #21 Pick in 2000 Draft.

June 28, 2000

Toronto -- The Toronto Raptors selected Primoz Brezec in Round 1 with Pick 21 in the 2000 NBA Draft. With an aging frontline of Charles Oakley, Kevin Willis and Antonio Davis, it was wise of the Raptors to draft a young big man. Particularly one as promising as Brezec. Brezec played for Union Olimpija for the last two seasons and has integral to Slovenia's underage international set up.

With the trend starting to go towards drafting Europeans prospects, The Raptors have taken a leap of faith that the 7'2" Slovenian will adjust to life in the NBA. Under the tutelage of Oakley and Willis he is sure to add some toughness to his game. Brezec is a sweet shooter who has been efficient from midrange in the EuroLeague so far.

He has been known to show a nice touch around the basket too, and is surprisingly mobile for somebody his height. Rebounding is another developing skill Brezec has shown, with his large wingspan enabling him to reach over most players. Brezec will probably not play much this season as he will be behind Kevin Willis and fellow European Alek Radojevic in the rotation. But that could change quickly.

With the future of Tracy McGrady up in the air, the Raptors were keen to select some wing depth in the second round. If McGrady re-signs, the Raptors could have plenty of depth. Ime Udoka will be a solid swingman who has seen his role increase in recent seasons with Portland State.

He has good size, length and strength for the small forward spot. Displays decent athleticism, but his physical tools aren't the best. Can knock down shots from the perimeter and put the ball on the floor with decent effectiveness. Has become a solid perimeter defender whose intensity allows him to use his size and strength to his advantage. Gets in a low stance and shows good footwork.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

NBA Draft Review - Knicks

Butch Carter out, D'Antoni in, as Raptors change Head Coaches.

July 3rd, 2000

>Toronto -- Butch Carter was fired Monday as coach of the Raptors after disagreements with some of his star players.

The Raptors are expected to again compete for the playoffs this season with or without the re-signing of Tracy McGrady. After helping to nurture McGrady and teammate Vince Carter to near superstar status in the National Basketball Association and directing the Raptors to their best-ever season, Butch Carter was abruptly fired as the Raptors' head coach yesterday morning.

The news was delivered to Mr. Carter during a meeting at Toronto's Air Canada Centre by Raptors general manager Glen Grunwald, Mr. Carter's friend of 20 years. Mr. Grunwald told reporters later that he is intent on restoring a sense of stability to the franchise.

"The off-court distractions were disconcerting to fans and the organization and there was no other alternative," a visibly uncomfortable Mr. Grunwald said. "This was the final option."

Mr. Carter, who addressed the media later in the day, said he could see his job in danger even before the season had ended.

"I did not want out of Toronto," said Mr. Carter, who got a three-year, $6-million contract. Carter tried to instigate a power coup in Toronto, and also advocated to trade Vince Carter to the New York Knicks.

D’Antoni began his career as head coach for his most loyal club, Olimpia Milan. He remained there for four seasons, from 1990 to 1994, leading the club to a 1992 FIBA EuroLeague Final Four appearance, and a 1992–93 season FIBA Korać Cup title. He was then chosen to coach Benetton Treviso, another major Italian league basketball club.

During his tenure with Treviso (1994–1997), the team captured the FIBA European Cup (later renamed Saporta Cup) and Italian Cup (in 1995), and won the Italian national domestic league title in the 1996–97 season. Coach D’Antoni's Italian club teams went to the Italian League's playoffs each season.

D'Antoni's first NBA coaching job was with the Denver Nuggets in 1997–98 as the club's director of player personnel. He also did some broadcasting work with TNT that season. The next year, he became the Nuggets' head coach, but was fired after a poor performance during the lockout-shortened 1998–99 season.

However the opportunity to jump to an up and coming franchise like the Raptors was just at the right time for D'Antoni. D'Antoni being a younger coach is being brought in to grow with the young superstar Vince Carter and hopefully McGrady too. D'Antoni will appoint Dwane Casey as Assistant Coach.

"I think we have to focus on maximising our offensive talent," D'Antoni said. "I believe offense wins games, coupled with solid defense. We have some superb offensive players and I hope to really unlock them. Hopefully we can retain Tracy and he can become a dual threat with Vince. It's time for him to start if he re-signs."

Carter, in his third year with the team, is the sixth NBA coach to be fired this off season. He was in the final year of his contract. Darrell Walker - Wizards, Lionel Hollins - Grizzlies, Don Casey - Nets, Jim Todd - Clippers, Garry St. Jean - Warriors were also fired within the last month.

"The Raptors can be an even better team than their current record," GM Glen Grunwald said. "We are committed to helping this team achieve its true potential this year as the Raptors have some of the best talent in the NBA.

"Butch Carter is a good person and a fine coach. But we felt that a change was necessary to help the Raptors achieve their goals for the season." NBA writers are sceptical that D'Antoni is the right hire, as NBA coaching legend Lenny Wilkens was also rumored to have interviewed for the role. D'Antoni is unproven in the NBA, but a winner in Europe. Perhaps Primoz Brezec and Radojevic may get more playing time than expected this year.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:34 AM   #8
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

1999-2000 NBA Season Preview

McGrady re-signs with Raptors.

August 1st, 2000

Toronto -- The Toronto Raptors' plan to resign Tracy McGrady has succeeded.

Tracy McGrady called a news conference at the Raptors' practice facility at the Air Canada Centre for 3:30 p.m. EDT Wednesday at which time he was expected to commit his future to Toronto in a six-year contract extension worth around $67.5 million US.

The news was trumpeted in Toronto newspapers Wednesday.

"This could be our lucky day," added the tabloid.

McGrady, 21, wasn't speaking Tuesday and Toronto GM Glen Grunwald, saying he was in the dark, could only wait and hope.

After wavering between Orlando, Chicago and Miami during the past week, McGrady has settled on re-signing with the Raptors, his agent said Wednesday night.

"Blood runs thicker than water, Vince convinced Tracy to stick it out with him in Toronto for another few years.” Tellem said.

"We've been talking to Tracy about our desire to make sure he's happy here, and we want him to be a Raptor for life. We have the potential to become one of the best teams in the NBA with Tracy and Vince as our young emerging stars. We have hired a new forward thinking coach in Mike D'Antoni who see's Tracy as an instrumental part of the Raptors future." said Grunwald.

McGrady's extension will be the maximum allowed under NBA rules. He is a three-year veteran of the league.

With his rookie contract expiring today on his existing deal, the extension should keep him in Toronto until he is 27.

After a season spent dodging rumors and questions about his future plans, and giving no inkling to which way he was leaning, McGrady's camp suggested Monday he may be close to signing with the Magic. The Raptors hiring of D'Antoni seemed to be the turning point as D'Antoni impressed McGrady in a 3 hour meeting late last night. D'Antoni's insistence that McGrady is a key starter was apparently the turning point.

The Raptors are coming off their most successful season in franchise history, losing to the Knicks in the First Round of the Eastern Conference playoffs after a 45-37 record in the regular season.

Despite being swept 3-0 the series was a lot closer than first meets the eye.

The Raptors are still looking to fine tune their roster this offseason.

Last edited by RMJH4; 03-07-2021 at 04:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »