Home

The Bulgarian Brothers – A College Hoops 2K8 & NBA 2K20 Dynasty

This is a discussion on The Bulgarian Brothers – A College Hoops 2K8 & NBA 2K20 Dynasty within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2022, 12:21 AM   #593
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Bulgarian Brothers – A College Hoops 2K8 & NBA 2K20 Dynasty

You had a difficult time moving the ball, so a great win. Good game from Baynes off the bench.
The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990), Arsčne Wenger: Invincible (2021) ×
Old 01-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #594
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolePlayer
That's a great win for Stetson, Davidson is a quality program and beating them isn't ever an easy task. Tough shooting night for Evertson but have to respect him for continuing to hoist it from deep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibaxx7
You had a difficult time moving the ball, so a great win. Good game from Baynes off the bench.
Yeah, the win showed some determination and character, because the team certainly didn't play to their potential.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #595
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Drago Derby #4 – Preview

We’ve had three Drago Derbies and three thrashings by Kostadin’s team over twin brother Ognyan. With wins of 16, 16, and 17 points, the games haven’t even been close so far. Oggy’s feeling of living in his brother’s shadow has been exacerbated by Dinko’s two straight March Madness upsets, making him a national media darling. However, this fourth iteration may provide Oggy with his best chance yet to beat his brother.

At 1-4, it’s been a rough start for the Red Flash, who are struggling to shoot as well as they did last season; most clearly seen in their 31% shooting from three. It could be argued that the Red Flash are much better than their 1-4 record given the tough competition they have faced so far, but anyone who has watched their games can see that they don’t look as settled and steady as past Dinko teams. They struggle more than usual to get open looks and often look a bit discombobulated on defense.

Oggy is not thrilled with his start either despite being 3-3 and having an RPI of 32. However, the game freshest in his mind is a 93-55 thrashing at the hands of South Florida. However, there have been some positive signs for the Hatters as three of their freshman are already settling into the pace of college basketball and making a meaningful impact. Their height is also showing up in the stat sheet as they average 6 blocks and 30 rebounds per game.

As the two brothers face off in Florida, Oggy’s formula for winning will be to control the paint and kick it out to Evertsen for open looks from three. Deron Wagner, Jerimie Scott, and Adam Baynes all have a size and experience advantage over St. Francis’ entire frontcourt and it will be a great disappointment for the Hatters faithful if they cannot impose their will on the game.

On the other hand, Oggy’s guards and wings that will have their hands full. The Red Flash’s backcourt is experienced and talented and Dinko can throw 5 different players at Brendon Pocius, all of whom are just as big and strong. For the Red Flash to come into DeLand and get a win they’ll need to start hitting their outside shots and will need one or two of their young big men to step up and make big plays. Perhaps that player will be New Zealand’s Chris Thompson, who has shown his soft touch with a 25 point outing against Rutgers.

How are the fans feeling about this matchup? Sentiment is trending Oggy’s direction. One of the indicators for this is seen in general sentiment from surveyed fans across the country. After a near 50/50% split two years ago, sentiment tanked as Oggy’s move to Stetson was viewed very negatively across the country. However, he seems to have redeemed himself in the eyes of fans in the past year, as well as picked up new fans in central Florida.

More relevant to tomorrow’s game is how people are predicting this game to go: the vast majority think this is the year that Oggy finally beats his brother. In our survey of the same audience, 87% of those surveyed felt that Stetson would best St. Francis. One respondent summed it up by saying “I think coach Ognyan has the better roster this year, has the game at home, and even won the alumni showdown this summer. If not this year, then when?”

However, that bullish-ness for Oggy in this matchup has not translated to being favored in the bigger picture. This includes the general sentiment about which brother is more likely to win a title first, as we’ve seen the numbers flip with each other. This season we see a 64-36 advantage for Dinko after it was a 61-39 advantage for Oggy just 1 year ago. However, fans overwhelmingly felt that Oggy had a better recruiting class this season, which perhaps is contributing to the predictions that he will win the Drago Derby this year.

Question
Dinko
Oggy
Which brother will be the first to make the sweet 16?
77%
23%
Which brother will be the first to win an NCAA or NBA title?
64%
36%
Which brother had the better recruiting class?
13%
63%
Note: 24% of respondents said the recruiting class advantage was “too close to call”

Through three-and-a-half years, the two brothers have taken markedly different approaches to their careers. Oggy is viewed as a mercenary type, taking any job that is even slightly better than his current job as he looks to climb the ladder and meet his ambitions to win multiple championships. On the other hand, Dinko’s family focus – at the expense of his career – is viewed admirably by many. As part of the survey, we asked a question about each brother’s career. First, we asked about how Oggy’s job move from Northern Colorado to Stetson was viewed. While opinions were mixed, it was viewed far more positively than last year, where only 4% of responses were positive. After a year, an NCAA tourney berth, and a good recruiting class, Oggy now has nearly 60% of respondents viewing his move in a positive light.

For Dinko, fans were asked about what they think he should do with his career. Like Shaka Smart 10 years ago, Kostadin has seen his name linked with nearly every open job the last few years. However, he’s turned down every single offer that’s come his way. In the survey, four different options were given to fans:
  1. Turn St. Francis into the Gonzaga of the East
  2. Stay at St. Francis until a job at his alma mater (Duquesne) or Pittsburgh open up
  3. If he can get a Pittsburgh-area job, take it but keep his eye on a top tier job in the NBA or NCAA
  4. His philosophy is wrong
As a sign of respect, no respondents disagreed with Dinko’s coaching philosophy. However, most fans only hold onto his Western PA roots loosely and feel that a top tier job is worth him moving his family.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2022, 03:38 PM   #596
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

Always love seeing the results of the Drago Derby survey! Pretty sure my answers landed in the majority of each questions' results, and I'm even more confident in Oggy finally getting one over on his brother this time around based on Stetson's start.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:21 PM   #597
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
Always love seeing the results of the Drago Derby survey! Pretty sure my answers landed in the majority of each questions' results, and I'm even more confident in Oggy finally getting one over on his brother this time around based on Stetson's start.
Yeah, this game should at least be much closer than before. I think it will be bitterly disappointing for either brother to lose. Dinko because it will sink him to 1-5, and Oggy because he needs to finally beat his brother and should be able to mostly control this game.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:43 PM   #598
MVP

studbucket's Arena

Drago Derby #4 – November 24, 2022 at DeLand, FL

Drago Derby #4 is here. The annual showdown between the twin brothers Ognyan (Oggy) and Kostadin (Dinko) Dragomirov is visiting the campus of Stetson University in DeLand, FL for the first time. After three years of thrashings at the hands of his “younger” brother Dinko, “big brother” Oggy is ready to finally put one in the win column, and many believe this is the year it will happen. The St. Francis Red Flash come in at 1-4 and are clearly still working through their new rotation and all the freshman on the roster. The Stetson Hatters are 3-3 and have seen their three new starters much more seamlessly slot into the lineup.

Ahead of the game, we caught up with the extended Dragomirov family, including parents Dragomir and Zhivka, as well as Dinko’s wife Stephanie.

Edgar Thompson, Orlando Sentinel: “Dragomir and Zhivka, how has it been for you as parents seeing your sons rise to such a level of fame and attention?”
Dragomir: “Ha ha. I tell them that nobody knows them. I try to keep them humble. I don’t want them to think they are important. Much of life happens in ways that are not in our control. I did not make my sons into giants. They did not make themselves giants. God did that. We are in America because they are big and they are good at throwing a ball. I do not let them forget it. I am happy they are doing well and using their brains too, but they aren’t big deals. They are just my little boys.”

Edgar Thompson, Orlando Sentinel: “You mention being in America, can you tell us a bit about your experience moving here and settling in?”
Zhivka: “Oh my. In some ways it is so different than Sofia. There is so much more money and it is so much safer. That is nice. Changing languages can be hard, but there are kind people here, and others from Bulgaria. However, we do miss some things about Bulgaria very much. It is warmer there and there is more of a family and community among neighbors. Pittsburgh has been very nice, but people are very busy.

Edgar Thompson, Orlando Sentinel: “Have you always liked basketball, or have you learned to like it because of Dinko and Oggy?”
Dragomir: “I liked it from the day the boys started playing. I see much of soccer in it. Teamwork is good. The boys were so big they could never be as good at soccer as they are at basketball.
Zhivka: “I just like seeing my boys do well. I like it a little bit now, but more I like to support my sons.
Stephanie: “Oh I love the sport. That’s what makes this” [Stephanie motions to her injured legs and the wheelchair] “so much harder. I played in high school, I couldn’t wait to get season tickets at Duquesne. And then I got to date a basketball player…wow!”

Edgar Thompson, Orlando Sentinel: “Stephanie, what is it like for Dinko to play against Oggy?”
Stephanie: “Oh, it tears him up inside. He strives for excellence in all he does, but he doesn’t want to do it at the expense of Oggy. As you know, it’s been pretty lopsided the last few years. Dinko can’t, and won’t, take his foot off the gas pedal, but it doesn’t mean he enjoys the final score. Well, except for the first season. Oggy was talking a big game before that year.

Edgar Thompson, Orlando Sentinel: “What’s it like for Oggy when he plays Dinko?”
Zhivka: “I think it is the same as any other game: Ognyan always wants to prove that he’s the best. Just this time he has to prove he is the best brother, not just the best basketball coach. We tease him about this, but it’s part of what makes him so special. Dragomir and I aren’t like this, Oggy is more like his uncle, my brother, always wanting to prove what he can do. As he grows and gains wisdom, I think he can do very big things.

Edgar Thompson, Orlando Sentinel: “How about a score prediction before the game?”
Dragomir: [laughs] “We can’t do that. It’s best that we just enjoy the game.”
Stephanie: “I have no qualms giving a prediction! I think Oggy has a much improved team this year, but I’m always going to back the Red Flash. Let’s say 77-65. I think Vern Quick leads the way with his hot hand.

Oggy was bouncing with anticipation as he waited for the game to start. This wasn’t normal for him, but this game meant so much more than usual. He had hugged his brother and loved playing against him, but he also didn’t want this monkey on his back to turn into a gorilla. Winning here could be the kind of win that catapults the Hatters to a great season.

The teams showed none of the nerves that Oggy felt as they started the game with tons of energy and a red hot pace. Vern Quick opened the game with a three and the teams had combined for 15 points after just two minutes. Stetson pulled ahead 16-15 and Dinko called timeout to make some substitutions and settle his team. The fresh legs paid off immediately as the Red Flash got back-to-back layups from Taj Hailey and Willis Holman to put them up 19-16.

A few minutes later, we saw an interesting tactical move from Oggy. After Dinko subbed on two sub-six-foot point guards (Djordjevic and Houston), Oggy decided to counter by putting all three of his big men on. Stetson now had the three tallest players on the floor, all 6’11” or taller, and could hopefully dominate the paint and glass.

The two brothers strategize with their teams during a timeout.

The substitutions didn’t meaningfully change the scoreline of the game but they did change the pace and flow of the game as the scoring slowed down and saw Stetson with a 24-22 lead after the big lineup was switched out with a few minutes left.

The end of the second half gave the Hatters faithful a reasonable amount of hope as a few key three points and several offensive boards saw them grab a 34-26 lead with a minute left. This led to a 36-30 lead at half. The Red Flash are actually shooting quite a bit better (by percentage) than the Hatters, but they find themselves down by 6 because they can’t get the rebounds and have only made 2 free throws to Stetson’s 9. It’s Oggy’s team who is playing the smart, hard-nosed basketball this year, not Dinko’s. Lennox Evertsen leads all scorers at the break with 9 points.

Things started to click for Stetson in the second half, as they started it on an 11-7 run to bring the lead to 10 at 47-37. This forced Dinko to call a timeout and regroup his team. They were playing hurried and needed to play a bit slower and smarter. Coming out of the timeout, Stephane Diakite scored two quick buckets to get the game within 6, but then Stetson went on a 6-0 to extend the lead to 12. The Red Flash were back to playing undisciplined.

However, Stetson was not quite able to put away the game, and the Red Flash found themselves within 5 points, 67-62, with 1 minute left in the game. It’s a solid lead, but Oggy was nervous and needed to see his team put away the game. Arnaud Dahi managed to break the press, get the ball all the way to the baseline, and then made an unnecessary bad pass to give the ball back to SFU. Floyd Akindele made a free throw to cut the game to four and then St. Francis started fouling immediately, trying to get Stetson to the line. This strategy looked to work at first, as Marko Neville absentmindedly dribbled out of bounds as he was trying to waste time and gave the ball back to the Red Flash. However, the Red Flash missed a three pointer and Lennox Evertsen and Brendon Pocius managed to seal the game at the free throw line as the game ended 71-63.

The Hatters celebrate while Dinko ponders what’s gone wrong this season.

After the game, Oggy was all smiles. Dinko was happy for his brother, and not terribly upset about the loss. Instead, he was trying to figure out how to turn around his season. 1-5 is easily his worst start ever, and far worse than was expected for this team coming off two straight years of major upset wins in the NCAA tournament. But that didn’t matter to the Hatter faithful, as they paraded a “Drago Derby Championship Belt” around campus, singing and drinking for hours after the game.

Freshman Lennox Evertsen was the star of the game with 22 points as he shot 5-11 from three. It’s a huge game and great poise from the freshman.

The Red flash only shot 30% from three, which was a big reason for loss. Gerardo Bethel was 0-4 and Cassiano Djordjevic was 0-3, which hurt them a lot. On the glass, they were dominated 27-15 (7-2 on offensive boards). That’s due in large part to Chris Thompson, Stephane Diakite, Willis Holman, and Taj Hailey combining for only 5 rebounds. That’s terrible output from the SFU power forwards.

Old 02-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #599
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

Great job there. Love the gifs.

The Pigeon Tunnel (2023), Kindergarten Cop (1990), Arsčne Wenger: Invincible (2021) ×
Old 02-21-2022, 09:49 PM   #600
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Oggy finally does it! I knew that when he won the alumni challenge this Summer he probably had something up his sleeve. I'm sure when the Red Flash got up 9-2 early he got a little nervous, however.

For Dinko, he was probably less worried about beating his brother and more worried about getting a win to get the team back on the right track. 1-5 is a very disappointing start for a squad of Dinko's talent even after losing some key players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »