Home

Another Person Who Can't Give up a Decade Old Game

This is a discussion on Another Person Who Can't Give up a Decade Old Game within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

OVR: 0
Another Person Who Can't Give up a Decade Old Game

P.J Valentine Signs With Morehead State
May 7th, 2007

MOREHEAD -- In a suprising announcement, Morehead State fired first year head Coach Donnie Tyndall after a dissapointing season coaching the Eagles. The team which was led by Senior forward Shaun Williams finished an abysmal 12-18 losing in the first round of the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament by twenty points to Eastern Kentucky.

P.J Valentine just 33, has excelled Coaching the high school ranks. In four seasons as the head coach of New Milford High School in Rockford, Illinois he was 99 - 29 with three regional titles and two state championships. Valentine prided himself on his team's shooting ability and their hustle. In what Valentine himself admitted is a coaching cliche he would constantly tell his team "They may have more talent than us, but they will never out hustle us."

Valentine was a high school basketball standout, at 6'7 with great handles Valentine was rated a four-star recruit his Senior year. However, Valentine opted to skip the NCAA instead heading to Europe to play for the "Nürnberg Falcons." In seven years in Germany, Valentine was a two time all-star with a lot of potential. Several serious leg injuries cut his professional career short and he was quickly back home in Illinois. After spending two years working at a car dealership Valentine was offered a job coaching his old high school team after their old Coach Brian Rosen retired. Valentine turned the school around from a consistent middle of the road team to a powerhouse.

It's been 23 years since Morehead State has last made it to the NCAA Tournament and the school's athletic director has become restless. Valentine won't be working with much, the only notable recruit was two-star power forward Kenneth Faried and last years two leading scorers are gone. In a press conference, today announcing his signing Valentine said "Firstly, I want to that all the great young men I coached at New Milford High School. You guys are what led me to this great opportunity. Hopefully, soon I'll be Coaching some of you all again if I'm lucky. It was a dream of mine to play in the NCAA, I've always wanted to hear the roars of the student section or stand under the bright lights of the Final Four. I never got that chance as a player, I had to head to Europe to take care of my sick mother financially. So I'm so honored to be able to achieve that dream as a Coach fifteen years later. I won't deny that this program here at Morehead State hasn't fallen on tough times, but I believe, hell I know we can build something here."

Last edited by RolePlayer; 12-04-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Re: Another Person Who Can't Give up a Decade Old Game

Overview:

For those curious, I'm going to be using a custom 2007-2008 roster that I found online. The schedules and conferences are accurate to the 2007 season. I'll be playing on 14 minute quarters and all-conference difficulty at the start but changes may be made if things feel off. I plan on using a formula of simming and playing games as I feel needed. Some of you may have been around for my Jabari Underwood Coaching Legacy, I plan on this being an improved version of that.

Special thanks for the inspiration to Trekfan, focer4, LopaKa, Xanax, SeaBoh, Studbuckets and superjames1992

Career Legacy

Seasons:

Conference Championships:

National Championships:

Tournament Bids:

Coaching Awards:

Player Awards:

Points Leaders:

Last edited by RolePlayer; 08-21-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #3
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Morehead State 2007-08 Season Preview

New Coach, Same Results?

For Morehead State, a change of Coach likely won't mean a change of fortune. Last season the Eagles finished 12-18 under first-year coach Donnie Tyndall. In an unprecedented move, the school decided to fire the first-year coach hiring another young first-time head coach in P.J Valentine. However, Valentine will be entering into this season with even less then what Tyndall had. Five of the top seven scorers on last year's team are gone.

Valentine will be coaching an incredibly young squad with eight of the team's thirteen players being either Freshman or Sophomores. There is a lot of unexpected on this team and that typically doesn't lead to success.

In terms of notable recruits, Junior College forward Leon Buchanan will be coming in as a junior. Buchanan has an all-around well-skilled game and is the type of player who can score at all three levels. Buchanan could be the centerpiece on a team that has lost so much scoring.

The Eagles interior play could prove to be a problem, the team lacks height with their tallest player being 6'8 freshman Kenneth Faried. Along with a lack of height, there is no veteran leadership in the post. The team's big men are all incoming freshmen or Junior college transfers. That lack of height and chemistry could lead to issues inside. The team also does not have a solidified point guard. The Eagles will be relying on their wings heavily to make up for their losses in the post and at point guard as it is the only true strength of the team.

The holes on the inside, the lack of a true point guard and little veteran leadership all point to Morehead State having another disappointing year. For an athletic program seemingly so desperate to find success we here at CBS doubt it will be coming this year.

Morehead State 2007-08 Roster:
  • L.Buchanan SF JR 6'5 200LBS (66 OVR)
  • K.Faried PF FR 6'8 215LBS (62 OVR)
  • L.Simmons PF JR 6'7 205LBS (62 OVR)
  • R.Gaye SG JR 6'5 195LBS (61 OVR)
  • T.J Clark SG FR 6'2 190LBS (61 OVR)
  • J.Steward SG SR 6'3 185LBS (61 OVR)
  • M.Stallworth SG SO 6'4 205LBS (60 OVR)
  • N.Stojakovic PG SR 6'2 195LBS (59 OVR)
  • J.Lamb SG FR 6'1 180LBS (59 OVR)
  • C.Brown PG SO 5'11 185LBS (58 OVR)
  • D.Penick PF FR 6'8 240LBS (56 OVR)
  • A.Coleman PF FR 6'7 215LBS (55 OVR)

Last edited by RolePlayer; 03-13-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Hell yeah, excited for your new project man. Looking forward to seeing what Coach Valentine can do here.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:29 AM   #5
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Published: November 6th, 2007 12:20 pm

Freshman Kenneth Faried Gets the Start Opening Night

By Antonio Roe-Nose - Staff Writer

Morehead State Men's Basketball Depth Chart - 2007-08
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGJ.StewardC.BrownN.Stojakovic
SGR.GayeJ.LambT.Clark
SFL.BuchananM.Stallworth
PFL.SimmonsD.Penick
CK.FariedA.Coleman

Tuesday morning, new Morehead men's basketball coach P.J Valentine released his line ups for the season opener versus Houston. With so few returning players the entire line up seemed up for grabs which made for a competitive preseason.

Kenneth Faried, the 6'8 freshman was able to beat out two other freshmen for the starting Center job. Faried is an athletic big man with natural shot-blocking abilities. The other notable was P.J Valentine's option to play Jamyron Steward whose listed as a shooting guard as the team's point guard. Morehead doesn't have a clear point guard outside of Cecil Brown whose only a Sophmore, having Steward who is a Senior run the offense could add some needed leadership on a team full of new players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2020, 02:30 AM   #6
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Hell yeah, excited for your new project man. Looking forward to seeing what Coach Valentine can do here.
Thanks so much Trekfan.

I am too, really been wanting to do a dynasty the past few months but just hadn't been able to figure out what exactly I wanted it to be. Something drew me back to this classic I hadn't played in a few years.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:32 AM   #7
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Want to give credit to LopaKa and his amazing legacy, this box score template is heavily inspired by his old one.

Last edited by RolePlayer; 12-04-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
MVP

RolePlayer's Arena

Preseason Top 25 AP Poll
1. Kansas
2. North Carolina
3. Memphis
4. Michigan State
5. Louisville
6. Georgetown