Home

The Last Stand: A Seattle Sonics Story.

This is a discussion on The Last Stand: A Seattle Sonics Story. within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

OVR: 19
The Last Stand: A Seattle Sonics Story.

Welcome to my dynasty story based on the Seattle Sonics franchise starting in the offseason of the 2007-08 season.

I always wondered what would've happened if some events had gone differently before that season.

We all know how it ended in real life, Seattle packed their bags and moved to Oklahoma City after the 2007-08 season and became the Thunder. They drafted one of the best young core's in the NBA, and despite one NBA Finals appearance squandered or lost every one of those players.

But what is often forgotten now were the battles that ensued for months on end over the ownership, the court battles, the battles with Seattle City council etc. There was a brief time where Seattle thought they could save their Sonics, and just as quickly the opportunity vanished again.

But the final seeds were sown in the offseason. So here is my take. My alternate reality. This is the Last Stand.

NBA2K20 - Kevin Durant Player Lock.
Rosters: 2007-08 In Progress (RMJH4)
Sliders: 2000s (RMJH4)
Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Sim Quarter Length: 12 Minutes
Draft Class: 2007 and 2008 Draft (RMJH4)
Season Length: 82 Games
Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Injuries: On
Progressive Fatigue: On
Player Roles: On
Team Chemistry: On
CPU Trades: On
Trade Override: Off
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Roster and Depth Chart.

Seattle Supersonics Depth Chart - 2007-08
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
PGLuke RidnourEarl Watson
SGWally SczerbiakDelonte WestDamian Wilkins
SFKevin DurantJeff GreenMickael Gelabale
PFChris WilcoxKurt ThomasNick Collison
CRobert SwiftMarc GasolSaer SeneJohan Petro

Last edited by RMJH4; 02-12-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Seattle Sonics Schedule.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Sonics name Spurs assistant Presti new GM.

Sonics name Spurs assistant Presti new GM.

Jun 7, 2007.

SEATTLE -- Sam Presti owes becoming the youngest general manager in the NBA to a homesick teammate at Emerson College.

Eight years ago, Presti, captain of the basketball team at Boston's renowned school for communication and the arts, talked the discouraged player out of quitting and going home to Colorado.

The teammate's father, the superintendent of schools in Aspen, was so appreciative that he invited Presti to coach at a summer basketball camp that happened to be run by R.C. Buford, the general manager of the San Antonio Spurs.

"Fortunately, I somehow endeared myself to them," Presti, now 30, said Thursday of Buford and the Spurs, who entered Thursday four wins from a fourth NBA title since 1999.

By the next summer, Buford had hired Presti as a $250-per-month intern. Seven years later, after establishing himself as a scouting guru and salary cap wizard, San Antonio's former assistant GM is in Seattle.

"Once he was in San Antonio for a month, I think we realized that it was going to be important that we not let him leave," a "crushed" Buford said Thursday from the NBA finals. "Now who knew that seven years later he'd still be with us and continue to grow and turn into one of the outstanding front office talents that I've ever seen, especially when you consider the age."

His mandate as he replaces Rick Sund: Lead the Sonics' search for a new coach, then their return to relevance after their worst season in 21 years.

"I view the San Antonio Spurs as the premier franchise in our business. And Sam Presti had clearly had an important role within that organization, contributed to their winning and how they do business," Sonics owner Clay Bennett said. "But that is not why he got the job.

"He got the job because of who he is, how he does things. ...He is thoughtful. He is methodical. He is measured."

Lenny Wilkens will return to his role as vice chairman. Wilkens, the 70-year-old Hall of Fame coach, had been the president of basketball operations and Bennett's point man on team matters since last fall.

The Sonics own the second pick in the June 28 draft. Seattle's first-round selection is expected to be easy: Kevin Durant or Greg Oden, whomever Portland doesn't take with the No. 1 pick.

Days after that, the Sonics must decide how much money and effort to direct at Rashard Lewis, the team's second-leading scorer, who opted out of the last two years of his contract to become a free agent.

The Sonics still don't have a coach after firing Bob Hill on April 24, the same day they demoted Sund to consultant.

Presti spoke in generalities about his vision for the Sonics, including on the hiring of a coach. Former Sonics assistant Dwane Casey has said he is interested in the job after getting fired last winter in Minnesota. Rick Carlisle, the former coach with Detroit and Indiana who was a Sonics broadcaster in 2000, is another possibility.

Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo, the former coach at Portland and Golden State, instantly becomes a more viable candidate because he worked with Presti the past five seasons.

About the only thing Presti committed to was saying that his Sonics will not try to become Spurs West on the floor. But he will address what has been one of the league's worst defenses in recent seasons.

"That's San Antonio. It's a special situation with some special, special talents," Presti said. "That's not what we are trying to recreate here."

Presti is currently the league's youngest GM -- but not the youngest in NBA history. A 28-year-old Jerry Colangelo became GM of the expansion Phoenix Suns in 1968.

"I wanted a candidate on the way up," Bennett said, "who perhaps in their youth perhaps would not hesitate on certain decision-making processes or ideas or concepts that an older candidate might, because he's tried that or thought he's tried that or seen that."

In San Antonio, where the Spurs were preparing to host Cleveland in Game 1 of the NBA Finals, coach Gregg Popovich wasn't surprised by Presti's departure .

"He has been a key component of the success of the Spurs organization and, although we hate to lose him, we knew it was a matter of time before a team came calling," Popovich said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
炭治郎

kibaxx7's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sonics name Spurs assistant Presti new GM.

Oh seaboh, it's you! I'm gonna follow for sure then. Good luck!
Blazing Saddles (1974), Signs (2002), The Other (1972) ×
Old 02-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

SuperSonics name Jeff Van Gundy as new head coach.

SuperSonics name Jeff Van Gundy as new head coach.

June 14, 2007

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Jeff Van Gundy, who was only recently fired from his last NBA head coaching job in Houston, was confirmed as the new head coach of the Seattle SuperSonics on Thursday.

Van Gundy, the Head Coach with the Houston Rockets the last four seasons, takes over from Bob Hill, who was sacked after the SuperSonics finished in last place in the Northwest Division with a record 31-51.

It is the third head coaching job for Van Gundy since he left the Knicks (1996-2001) six years ago where he was famously stepped down mid season. The move was unexpected, as the Knicks were on a winning streak, and coming off a 14–point victory against the Milwaukee Bucks. Van Gundy also led the Knicks to an NBA Finals appearance in 1999 as an 8 seed.

In June 2003, Van Gundy was named head coach of the Houston Rockets, replacing Rudy Tomjanovich. In his first season as the team's head coach, the Rockets finished with a 45–37 record, and qualified for the playoffs for the first time in five years, but they were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Los Angeles Lakers. In his second season with the Rockets, Van Gundy guided the team, led by the Yao Ming / Tracy McGrady duo, to a 51–31 record, which was their first season with more than 50 wins in eight years. The Rockets once again lost in the first round of the playoffs, this time to the Dallas Mavericks.

McGrady and Yao missed a combined 70 games due to injury in the 2005–06 season, and Van Gundy did not make the playoffs for the first time in his NBA head coaching career.

The injuries and disappointments continued for the Rockets into the following season, with injuries limiting Yao to just 48 games played, and McGrady also not fully recovered from his injuries. The Rockets went on a late season run, on the back of a resurgence from McGrady, but another first round playoff loss, this time to the Utah Jazz, sealed Van Gundy's fate as the team's head coach. At the conclusion of their decisive Game 7 loss in the first round of the playoffs, Van Gundy was fired, and has been replaced by Rick Adelman.

“I am really excited with the opportunity to come to the Sonics,” Van Gundy said on the Sonics Web site. “We have a talented nucleus returning and an outstanding draft class awaits us later this month.”

Sonics chairman Clay Bennett said: “We believe Jeff is absolutely the right person for the job and is more than ready for the challenge. He will bring on our defense in leaps and bounds.”

Last edited by RMJH4; 02-08-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
Retro NBA Nut

RMJH4's Arena

Re: Sonics name Spurs assistant Presti new GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderxx7
Oh seaboh, it's you! I'm gonna follow for sure then. Good luck!
Yep, changed to match my steam, twitter and NLSC name all the same.

Glad you're following!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »