Home

Undrafted: Underrated x Underestimated

This is a discussion on Undrafted: Underrated x Underestimated within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #9
MVP

infamyice's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Undrafted: Underrated x Underestimated

Old 02-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #10
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Old 02-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #11
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #12
MVP

infamyice's Arena

Old 02-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #13
MVP

infamyice's Arena

THE PREQUEL PT.3: PIPE DREAM

After defeating the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, USC would taste first defeat at the hands of the Texas Longhorns. Through the next five games, they would end up with a 10-3 record, losing to Baylor and Virginia as well. Nevertheless, they remained on top, still ranked #1 around the nation.

Next upcoming game was a national game, heading out to play OSU Cowboys to close out the year. That game is tomorrow, well, at least for most of the roster in attendance...
Over at Keck Hospital of USC, Clinton and Khyri rushed over to meet Coach Enfield along with Recks' parents and a little boy. Giving the circumstances of the pandemic, Coach Enfield and Recks' crew were given limited visitation time, allowing the parents to stay longer.

After some time, the little boy rushed to Recks' bedside with the parents pursuing, "Daddy! Daddy!" The boy was elated to see his father, but quickly sadden by the state his father was currently in. "Heeeey, what's up baby boy!" The boy climbed up bedside with the help of Recks, nestling next to him. Kairos was his name. Six years old to be exact, and from a relationship prior to meeting Khyri.

"Be careful now, don't move to much son", Recks' father spoke gingerly. Recks' mother was lost for words, seeing her son laying in a hospital bed, almost being over dramatic about it. "Hey Mom, hey Dad." "How are you baby? What happened?" His mother asked worriedly as she looked over his body.

Recks went on to explain how he blew his knee out during practice. Dislocating his left patella and tearing his left ACL. One twist of the knee during a suicide exercise and it was all she wrote.

"Daddy, are you going to be okay? You going to get better?" "Yeah, baby boy, Daddy is going to be just fine in no time." "How long did the doctors say it'll take for you to get better?" Recks' father asked. "Well, they were looking at 6-8 months, but being so severe, they're thinking a year, year and a half maybe." "Damn, it's that bad?" "Yeah..."

A silence dropped on the room for a moment or two. "Don't worry son, as bad as it looks, we know you'll find a way to bounce back, you always do." "Yeah, I know." "I remember in little league, you caught a pitch to the arm. Doctor said it was broken in three different places. After you healed up, you signed up for next year and came back stronger than before. Stronger, faster, more determined." "I remember Mom. I know it'll be alright, but it's not that." "What do you mean? His mother asked with a slight confused facial expression." "... Doctor said I might not be able to play basketball again." "What?!" What do you mean? Son, today's medicine is so advance than before, lots of players get hurt and comeback" his father retorted. "Yeah, I know, but, it's bad." "So what now?" "I don't know... Think this is it for me. Career's over before it even started."

Recks hugged his son closer, sulking inside as he tried to hold back the tears. His dream was taken from him and it was nobody's fault. Things just happened and played out this way. Recks wasn't happy about it, but it was something he'd have to accept, move on, get better, and focus on being a father to Kairos...
Old 02-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #14
MVP

infamyice's Arena

THE PREQUEL PT.4: MORAL SUPPORT

It's been three months and the USC Trojans carried on the will and fire of Recks Black through the season, through March Madness. They ended up 25-8 for the year, and making it to the Elite Eight, only to lose to Gonzaga. This year would mark the Trojans' second-most wins in a season in the school's history.

After it was all said and done, Recks headed back home to Fresno, where his parents and his son resided. All that was left to do was repair his knee, rebuild him-self for a normal life. Recks was never fond of living the 9-5 life. Recks' father ran a now downsized IT company while his mom worked at a bank. She needed not to work, but her parents' instilled the value of hard work and she was proud of it. It was the backbone of their household; everyone earns their plate at the table.

With a knock at the door, Recks hobbled to answered. "Hey Khyri, what you doing here?" "You surprised to see me?" "Well, yeah, kinda." Recks gave leeway, allowing Khyri to step in. "How you doing Recks? How's your recovery?" Khyri checked out Recks' leg as he supported himself on crutches. "I still can hardly walk, but progress is progress, even if it's slow progress." "I can imagine it being tough, just stay strong though." Khyri leans in, kissing him on the cheek and gingerly hugging him. "Thanks Ky. Alright, back up, six feet, you don't got no mask on" Recks jester. "You know what, you're something else" Khyri shot back with a look. "I should take your crutches from you and let you hop on" "You gonna violate a cripple man like that?" "Yup!" "Still evil as ever."

Recks starts to make his way to the kitchen, offering beverage. "How's Mr. and Mrs. Black doing? And that cute little boy of yours?" "They aight. Dad's at work, Mom and Kai doing some grocery shopping." "And you're good home alone?" "I mean, I'm not completely hopeless-" "Boy, you been hopeless!" Khyri cuts off Recks with a jab. "Says the woman who still holding onto old glory of one victory." "Well, since you're out here bummy on these streets of Fresno, that glory don't hold too much weight now" Khyri shrugs with a laugh. "Oh, you really just trying to destroy me aren't you?" "Done it before" Khyri shot back with a smirk. Recks rolls his eyes with no response.

"So, what's up? What you got for me today?" "Well, I got some good news." "Okay, let's hear it. Which unlucky man crossed your path into oblivion?" "Boy, shut up. I came by to tell you that I'm declaring for the WNBA." "Word? Seriously?" "Yeah." "Wow, that's a waste." Khyri curiously asked, "What? You don't think I can do it, I can't make the team?" "No, that's not what I'm saying." "So, what are you saying?" "I'm saying that you're a second round pick with third round skills!" Recks let out a big laugh mocking Khyri. Khyri stood there stone face. "What? You don't get it? "Yu-gi-Oh"? Kaiba?" Tough crowd."

"Anywaaaay! That's the big news. But apparently you got jokes all of a sudden." "Aight, aight, my bad. I'm happy for you, honestly. You going pro is the best thing and whoever take you got a real gem on their hands." "Thanks Recks, see, I knew you could be nice." "Don't push it. But seriously though, I'm happy for you. Live your dream, and wherever it takes you, you know you got my support." "Even if it takes me to the other side of the country?" "Definitely. no limit to my support. We out here since day one, you had my back when I was done and out plenty times. It's my turn to repay." "Thanks Recks. I know you wish it was you going pro, I do too. I'm really sorry about how things turned out for you." Recks took a moment to gather his words as he still sore from losing everything. "Yeah, I know. But, it's your turn. You gotta go out there and do your thing. You the only woman who can say they beat the #1 in the nation, 2x All-American. Show them what you got to make it big and make a difference."

Khyri let out a big smile, latching onto Recks, hugging him tightly. "You may be a pain in my ***, but you know I'll always love you, despite all we been through. I know I can always count on you." The two have a moment, gazing into each other's eyes. Khyri reaches out for a kiss and Recks complies just to pull back at the last second. "Six feet. No mask on." Recks reiterated. "You know what? I'm so done with you." Khyri mushes Recks' face jokingly...
Old 02-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #15
MVP

infamyice's Arena

THE PREQUEL PT.5: THE BALLAD OF KHYRI

The 2021 WNBA Draft night had came and Khyri and her family, along with Recks and Clinton via zoom have endured the moments of anticipation, hoping to hear her name be called. As Khyri had dreamed big to making it in the professional league, the picks and names announced grew weary by the selection. 35 names were called, one spot left on the board and the house grew silent. Khyri anxious to hear the announcement, she takes her family in hand and prayed.

"And with the final selection of the 2021 WNBA draft, the Las Vegas Aces have selected... Kionna Jeter, out of Towson" the Commissioner of the WNBA announced just before congratulating the selected draftees and exiting the podium.

"Aw! Come on! This is that bull****!" Clinton shouted out loud. The atmosphere around Khyri fell into disappointment as her family hugged her, trying to cheer her. "Hey, I'm sorry you didn't get your name called, but it's okay. We all, your familia and friends, know how good you are, how hard you worked at basketball. Don't look at this as the end of the world. You just keep at it and you will find your way in there." Khyri's mother soothes her. "Yeah, your mom is right Ky" Recks co-signed. "You keep putting in work and stay ready. Play overseas, get your name up and they'll come to you." "Exactly. You go overseas, ball out, take them fools for every nickel and dime and the WNBA will be begging to sign you, Khyri Blu, International Superstar." Clinton followed up with support. "Thank you guys. I know you mean well." Just as Khyri drops her head, releasing a deep sulking sigh, her father's finger gently rises her head back up. "Niña, escúchame. Eres un guerrero. Te caes, te levantas y sigues luchando. Saldrás victorioso mi ángel. (Baby girl, listen to me. You are a warrior. You fall down, you get back up, and keep fighting. You will be victorious my angel)" "Gracias Papi (Thank you, Papi)." "Si quieres jugar al baloncesto, coges la pelota y disparas. Solo pierdes las tomas que no haces, especialmente en la vida. (If you want to play basketball, you pick up the ball and shoot your shot. You only miss the shots you don't take, especially in life)" Khyri hugs her father tight as he kisses her forehead. "I don't know of that what was said, but I totally agree with him 100%" "Yup, yup!" Both Clinton and Recks input.

At this point, Khyri was a free agent. She was free to go wherever she wanted. Women's basketball has picked up over the time and flourished in some countries overseas. For Khyri, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a gander what the world had to offer, but she was determined the WNBA is where she belong.

It's been two weeks since the draft and Khyri has been putting her agent to work, getting whoever in the league who'll answer there phone to listen. The first to respond was the Phoenix Mercury. Clinton tagged along with Khyri, courtesy of Recks for the trip to Phoenix, Arizona. Unfortunately, the try-out was not a success as Khyri learned the pressure wrecking the nerves, along with the competition. This would only serve as a notion of what to expect. The next to answer were the New York Liberty, but their roster were overextended. Los Angeles Sparks didn't have the fund to give way to any interest. Indiana offered a try-out, but went to another with their contract. After that, no other teams had taken an interest for her. With each bail out, Khyri grew more and more uncertain. Fortunately Clinton was there to have her back and keep her focus. Clinton wasn't no big time athlete as Recks was, but his days of play in high school never left his bones. With each passing day, Clinton would be helping Khyri train and run sets with the locals between trips.

Two weeks later, Khyri's manager urgently gets in touch, informing her about the Seattle Storm's situation. There being a fall out with one of their players, it left an open spot and they offered a private try-out. Hours later, Khyri and Clinton were on the next flight out to Seattle. Try-outs came, with Clinton hanging back outside the premises, anticipating the outcome, Khyri finals makes her exit from the facility.

"So? How'd it go K?" Khyri took a moment to gather her-self, rousing the cliff hanger. "I made the cut! I made the team!" Khyri jumps for joy and excitement. "Yoooo! You did it girl! Congrats! Aw man, this is big! Wait til Recks and the fam hear about this, gonna blow their heads off!" Clinton couldn't contain him-self, overjoyed to see a good friend achieve their dream. "It's been a hell of a ride these past few weeks, ain't it?" "Absolutely. I haven't even taken all this in yet, I just wana scream!" "Let it out then!" Khyri complied and let off her loudest shout, loud enough for one of the staffs to poke his head out the main door to see what was going on. They both laughed. "Hey, lets get back on the road home and tell the big news" "I can't wait!"

It wasn't long after the private try-out that Khyri had signed off on her newest professional career in the making. Khyri is now a official employee of the WNBA, affiliated with the Seattle Storm ball club. With the league's season opener literally just a couple weeks around the corner, there was little time for Khyri to transition her-self properly. Everything was up-and-go fast pace, learning new things, trying to integrate with the team as smoothly as possible. Majority of the team welcomed Khyri with opened arms. One of the WNBA's active legends, Sue Bird, was high on Khyri. After watching her tapes in USC as well as her try-out, Sue immediately took Khyri under her wing. Not everyone was happy with Sue's gesture, particularly Jordin Canada. Khyri would soon learn that you can't make friends without enemies. In this line of work, life is competition...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #16
MVP

infamyice's Arena

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »