Home

Boxing videogame campaign, do you want another boxing game?

This is a discussion on Boxing videogame campaign, do you want another boxing game? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Boxing videogame campaign, do you want another boxing game?

Nothing is worse than losing to someone you know is awful but knows how to play the game. Guy beat me throwing all jabs & straights moving around with block up all game. Missed Well over half his punches.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 2
Icon1 Re: Boxing videogame campaign, do you want another boxing game?

I have to agree that boxing is not as popular a sport as it used to be in the past. Here's what I think is hurting the sport right now. First and foremost, it HAS to be that there are 12 rounds instead of 15 in champoinship fights. The reason being is mostly because of the heavyweight division. If they brought back 15 rounds today, the heavyweight division would actually "shrink" over time. Meaning, the big bahemaths of the division would have to come in, in better shape in order to endure those last three rounds, if nessessary. In turn, heavyweight would in fact be more skill and endurance driven; so you probably would see fighters with size a skill sets like a Chris Byrd, or a Ken Norton, a Muhammad Ali, or a Sonny Liston in thier prime being champs today. The only reason why you have huge fighters bulking up and dominating is because of 12 rounds instead of 15 in big fights, if you think about it. That's not even an opinion, it's a fact. 12 rounds killed heavyweight boxing slowly since the late 80's.

Which leads me to this:... They should bring back weigh-ins the morning of the fight. A fighter like Alexis Arguello carried the lower divisions below welterweight in the 70's. He.. was.. awesome. But he would be nowhere near the fighter he was back then, if he fought now with these rules because he had small bones. Fighters that kill themselves, and starve themselves to make weight should be pentalized for doing so, but are rewarded by bulking up somtimes over 10% of thier body weight, sometimes even PAST the next weight class after the weigh-in, which makes no sense to me. When you starve your body, your metabolism (which is the efficiency that your body breaks down fat) slows down and stores fat much easier, and that makes a weight-drained fighter bulk up after the weight-in. They should learn how to eat like the legends did in the past.

Imagin Alexis Arguello fighting Arturo Gatti at 140. That is a DANGEROUS fight! But why? Because when fighters bulk up they can't move around as much and have more concussive power per punch because of that added weight. That's why we have weight classifications in the first place. All they have to do is bring back weigh-ins the morning of the fight with 15 rounds. What would the "Explosive Thin Man", Alexis Arguello, be in this sport today with these rules they have now? No where NEAR as great! And that is a shame because he was such an ambasadar to boxing and stood for doing things the right way, and he would get penalized because the rules just don't make sense. He actually was thin on purpose to just show that you don't have to be bulked up to be doninant. And some fans actually think that most of the new crop of fighters are actually better becuase of that added power. What if they didn't get to bulk up before the fight, how much better would they be then? They wouldn't be better! I give fighters like Floyd Mayweather credit for being one of those fighters who doesn't have to bulk up after the weigh-in to be great. What About Zab Juda vs. Kostya Tszyu? Tszyu was way too bulked up for that fight, that's why HE won so easily.

And what about fights lasting 60 minutes before (15, three minute rounds, plus one minute corner work after each round) as aposed to 48 minutes now, or 12 rounds. One hour of fighting is acually perfect to me, and is much more of an event. So why did they change that? My only answer is because some fighters don't want that because they bulk up so much after the weigh-ins. And there's no way to stop that from happening unless the boxing commision actually stops that and actually regulates what they are eating and drunking no matter when the weigh-in is in the future somehow.

What about this!? What about what fighters wear now in boxing that makes people not want to watch as much? Fighters fighting with two different style gloves most times, that don't even match! And companies make sure that they put big logos right ON those gloves to advertise the brand just so people can see the brand that fighters are using. Do they even care about the history of the sport anymore?? What about trunks all the way down to their knees now, with some of the ugliest boxing shoes and boxing attire I've EVER seen! I'll tell you why they shouldn't wear those atrosious long baggy shorts.. Because fight fans actually tune in to the weigh-ins before the fight just to watch their muscularity to see who's ready to fight. And I think fighters acutally HATE their bodies after they bulk up so much, as to why they wear their trunks all the way down to their knees, with the cup protecter over their stomach. It makes sense what i'm saying, because they just started doing that in the 90's, AFTER they changed the weigh-ins so fighters can bulk up. Or unless fighters just do that just to be disrespectfull to the sport and it's history.

I'm saying if they bring back all these things boxing will eventually be back as the number 1 sport in the world again, because it's the most pure, and the most tactical of all sports when everything is right with boxing!... And one more thing they should do; get rid of the cruiserweight division and keep just 2 belts per weightclass. Because it makes no sense to have a division between lightheavy, and heavyweight. The sport of boxing is a game and that game is being messed up and I want to see some things change. I didn't want to say any names but I had to just to makes my point. So am I right or wrong?? What's your take on this, guys??

Last edited by gravity62; 02-03-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #59
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity62
I have to agree that boxing is not as popular a sport as it used to be in the past. Here's what I think is hurting the sport right now. First and foremost, it HAS to be that there are 12 rounds instead of 15 in champoinship fights. The reason being is mostly because of the heavyweight division. If they brought back 15 rounds today, the heavyweight division would actually "shrink" over time. Meaning, the big bahemaths of the division would have to come in, in better shape in order to endure those last three rounds, if nessessary. In turn, heavyweight would in fact be more skill and endurance driven; so you probably would see fighters with size a skill sets like a Chris Byrd, or a Ken Norton, a Muhammad Ali, or a Sonny Liston in thier prime being champs today. The only reason why you have huge fighters bulking up and dominating is because of 12 rounds instead of 15 in big fights, if you think about it. That's not even an opinion, it's a fact. 12 rounds killed heavyweight boxing slowly since the late 80's.

Which leads me to this:... They should bring back weigh-ins the morning of the fight. A fighter like Alexis Arguello carried the lower divisions below welterweight in the 70's. He.. was.. awesome. But he would be nowhere near the fighter he was back then, if he fought now with these rules because he had small bones. Fighters that kill themselves, and starve themselves to make weight should be pentalized for doing so, but are rewarded by bulking up somtimes over 10% of thier body weight, sometimes even PAST the next weight class after the weigh-in, which makes no sense to me. When you starve your body, your metabolism (which is the efficiency that your body breaks down fat) slows down and stores fat much easier, and that makes a weight-drained fighter bulk up after the weight-in. They should learn how to eat like the legends did in the past.

Imagin Alexis Arguello fighting Arturo Gatti at 140. That is a DANGEROUS fight! But why? Because when fighters bulk up they can't move around as much and have more concussive power per punch because of that added weight. That's why we have weight classifications in the first place. All they have to do is bring back weigh-ins the morning of the fight with 15 rounds. What would the "Explosive Thin Man", Alexis Arguello, be in this sport today with these rules they have now? No where NEAR as great! And that is a shame because he was such an ambasadar to boxing and stood for doing things the right way, and he would get penalized because the rules just don't make sense. He actually was thin on purpose to just show that you don't have to be bulked up to be doninant. And some fans actually think that most of the new crop of fighters are actually better becuase of that added power. What if they didn't get to bulk up before the fight, how much better would they be then? They wouldn't be better! I give fighters like Floyd Mayweather credit for being one of those fighters who doesn't have to bulk up after the weigh-in to be great. What About Zab Juda vs. Kostya Tszyu? Tszyu was way too bulked up for that fight, that's why HE won so easily.

And what about fights lasting 60 minutes before (15, three minute rounds, plus one minute corner work after each round) as aposed to 48 minutes now, or 12 rounds. One hour of fighting is acually perfect to me, and is much more of an event. So why did they change that? My only answer is because some fighters don't want that because they bulk up so much after the weigh-ins. And there's no way to stop that from happening unless the boxing commision actually stops that and actually regulates what they are eating and drunking no matter when the weigh-in is in the future somehow.

What about this!? What about what fighters wear now in boxing that makes people not want to watch as much? Fighters fighting with two different style gloves most times, that don't even match! And companies make sure that they put big logos right ON those gloves to advertise the brand just so people can see the brand that fighters are using. Do they even care about the history of the sport anymore?? What about trunks all the way down to their knees now, with some of the ugliest boxing shoes and boxing attire I've EVER seen! I'll tell you why they shouldn't wear those atrosious long baggy shorts.. Because fight fans actually tune in to the weigh-ins before the fight just to watch their muscularity to see who's ready to fight. And I think fighters acutally HATE their bodies after they bulk up so much, as to why they wear their trunks all the way down to their knees, with the cup protecter over their stomach. It makes sense what i'm saying, because they just started doing that in the 90's, AFTER they changed the weigh-ins so fighters can bulk up. Or unless fighters just do that just to be disrespectfull to the sport and it's history.

I'm saying if they bring back all these things boxing will eventually be back as the number 1 sport in the world again, because it's the most pure, and the most tactical of all sports when everything is right with boxing!... And one more thing they should do; get rid of the cruiserweight division and keep just 2 belts per weightclass. Because it makes no sense to have a division between lightheavy, and heavyweight. The sport of boxing is a game and that game is being messed up and I want to see some things change. I didn't want to say any names but I had to just to makes my point. So am I right or wrong?? What's your take on this, guys??
Everything you mentioned has nothing to do with why the Fight Night series isn't doing well. The reason it isn't doing well is because the game doesn't capture boxing realistically. MMA is said to be taking over boxing but they can outsell a boxing game or keep it numbers up.
It's about making a game that represent a sport realistic with all the depth and details you see happen for that sport.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #60
Rookie

Does anybody know what's different about the sport as to why it's not ther number 1 sport on the planet like it was to be in the past?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #61
MVP

Quote:
Does anybody know what's different about the sport as to why it's not ther number 1 sport on the planet like it was to be in the past?
We live in a microwave generation for one. Mike Tyson spoiled fans. This is why the Klitschkos will never get a true fan-base in America. The Heavyweights always ruled in boxing and boxing isn't interesting without a spectacular heavyweight(American) making noise.
We had boxing in other weight classes making noise, but heavyweight(American) caught the fans attention.

*I'm not being biased. It's true if you follow boxing history.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #62
Rookie

Hmm... the only reason the Klitschkos are, and were dominant is because of 12 rounds and not 15. Fights would be fought much differently if there's 15 round and not 12 rounds. So you're saying that Mike Tyson meant instant gratifacation in boxing, and now we're spoiled ?? Now people think UFC is better because of that ? I don't think that's the case. The reason Why there are no more great American heavyweight champoins is because people are less willing to call a man "Champ" when he fights for 12 rounds, unlike the champions of the past who fought 15. Actually people are more sarcastic toward boxers now because of the condition of the the sport now. If this was the 60's, 70's, or 80's, would UFC even matter? No, it would! Ill tell you why. People actually want to punish boxing for having to pay money to see less of an event; 12 rounds instead of 15! If fights were 15 rounds like it was in the past, with all those changes I mentioned above, plus more compatent judges and referees, would you watch pay to watch a big Mega Fight?? I would! That needs to happen to save the sport.

*They didn't even let Larry Holmes beat Butterbean for 12 rounds. There needs to be 15 rounds for David to beat Goliath in heavyweight boxing. And that's what we need to see happen for the sport, as well as all those things I mentioned above.

Last edited by gravity62; 02-05-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #63
MVP

Quote:
Hmm... the only reason the Klitschkos are, and were dominant is because of 12 rounds and not 15. Fights would be fought much differently if there's 15 round and not 12. So you're saying that Mike Tyson meant instant gratifacation in boxing, and now we're spoiled ?? Now people think UFC is better because of that ? I don't think that's the case. The reason Why there are no more great American heavyweight champoins is because people are less willing to call a man Champ when he fights for 12 rounds, unlike the champions of the past who fought 15. Actually people are more sarcastic toward boxers now because of the condition of the the sport now. If this was the 60's, 70's, or 80's, would UFC even matter? No, it would! Ill tell you why. People actually want to punish boxing for having to pay money to see less of an event; 12 rounds instead of 15! If fights were 15 rounds like it was in the past, with all those changes I mentioned above, plus more compatent judges and referees, would you watch pay to watch a big Mega Fight?? I would! That needs to happen to save the sport.
I grew up on boxing and actually boxed over 13 years. I have been around a lot of trainers, some known. They used to love hearing them debate. Eras and time periods made boxers train differently according to what had to endure.
You ask anyone which heavyweight or boxer period that brought them excited about watching boxing. They are going to say Tyson. The amount of rounds a boxer box's has become boring to this generation unless it's an all out slugfest.

Last edited by SHAKYR; 02-05-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #64
Rookie

^What year were you born?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »