Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #2993
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
In fact, I think will outsell both of them combined by a million buys. That isn't impressive?
It's not impressive. Instead, it proves P.T. Barnum was right -- "There's a sucker born every minute."

The popularity of the Mayweather-McGregor fight will prove you never can underestimate the stupidity of the American public.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #2994
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
My friends are not boxing fans. My little brother wanted to see Floyd-Pac so I got my other brother to come in to get my cost down to $33. I really didn't want to see it at that price.

It will be a last second decision for me.
I hear ya brother

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #2995
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Not by comparison with the numbers that Floyd's fight generate, and Kovalez-Ward 1 did only 160,000. Even 300,000 PPV buys is optimistic.

Since when are pound for pound fighters necessarily PPV draws?

Dude, I'm not arguing with you about this charade generating lots of money, but why do MMA fans want to see their guy get his behind handed to him?

EDIT: Don't mean to be coming off as contentious aholbert. As an MMA fan will you get this fight?

This isn't contentious. Just two fight fans discussing the business.

My point about the buys is hardcore fight fans complain about circus fights like this but they give promoters no incentive to put on great fights. Ward and Kovalev are two top 5 p4p fighters. They have been promoted heavily by hbo and showtime on the past. But as U said, that fight will be lucky to do 300k. On the other hand a Circus fight is going to do 2 million.

I think you are overestimating how much interest mma fans have in this fight. It's really not that high. Hardcore MMA fans would rather Conor defend his belt than watch him box Floyd and lose a decision.

What's funny is I'm thinking about going to the fight but I probably won't buy it on ppv. I've been to three Conor fights and Vegas is going to be insane that week. The Irish always come out strong for Conor and they are always great. I would go for the spectacle just like I did for Canelo/Chavez.

If I don't go, I'm going to watch the fight on a stream. I ain't paying 75-100 bucks for a one sided beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #2996
MVP

OVR: 6

I will probably try hit up a bar to check it out. No way am I shelling out that type of money for this exhibition.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #2997
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

good fight, but how do you call it on body shots? weird to me, it would have been fun to see what would have happened.

Those were low. I don't want to take anything away from SoG, but those were low, I'm not sure why hbo guys were so adamant that they were ALL (borderline).

I didn't like the finish - I thought Kovalev clearly won the 1st fight, and I thought Ward was winning this one for sure AND Kovalev looked tired, but come on. those were a bit low, AND I thought the stoppage was strange given that I didn't think there was immediate impending danger to Kovalev, but anyway, it will be 2-0 WARD in the history books and there will never be a rematch at this point.

Just to say, I think Ward would have won anyway, but that doesn't mean I like the call.

Last edited by allBthere; 06-18-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:13 AM   #2998
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
Just to say, I think Ward would have won anyway, but that doesn't mean I like the call.
I saw ONLY the last 43 seconds of the fight (Twitter) and Ward was working Kovalez over with mostly body shots but working him over nonetheless. In that 43 seconds I saw no offense from Sergio.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 AM   #2999
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

It was a bad stoppage IMO, but it was also academic after that round 8. Ward and his team had a great strategy for this fight. He beat up the bigger fighter.

You could see that Kovalev was gassed at the end of round 7. He was hurt at the end round 8 and would've been done in round 9 or 10. Would've liked to see the ref let it go just to see if Kovalev would've answered the 10 count in round 9 or 10 when a body shot dropped him see if he's really as tough as he claims.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 06-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #3000
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Referee Meeks dismissed a clear low blow complaint by Kovalez near the end of the 7th and did the same in the last round with Sergio wincing (8th). Before I saw the fight I dismissed Kathy Duva's low blow complaints as partisan comments but they did happen. Despite what you think the effect of those blows were or how they factored in the ultimate outcome of the fight, at the very least the referee has to give the fighter time to recover.

Andre clearly hurt Sergio with a right hand and landed some good shots as the round progressed.

I just saw the BBC call of the fight on YouTube with Paulie Malignaggi as analysis. He made a good point when he said, "How much more hurt was he than Ward in round two last fight. Let's put it that way."

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »