Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #3025
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Kovalez hasn't been the luckiest "near great" boxer. He got a bad decision (IMO) in the first fight and got screwed in the negotiations for the second fight (Ward $6.5 million, Kovalez might not make $one million). The problem is he is not a major draw and he is in a rough and tumble division headed by King Ward and including pile driver Beterbiez, Adonis, Joe Smith and up and coming Gvozdyk who won't even fight Sergey because they are good friends.

He is expected to fight in November but Adonis Chickenson will wait for Ward and Beterbiez is too dangerous and not known well enough. He will either fight Joe Smith to eek out a million or someone else for scraps.

Andre will fight a non-serious guy to close out the year and weigh his options for 2018.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #3026
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
One thing on the low blows that RJJ mentioned after the fight, both fighters but he pointed out Kovalev wore his cup above the belly button. He mentioned that being a reason that some of the "low" shots from Ward wern't called low by Weeks. Not sure if that is true but it offered a reasonable explanation in my mind. It was a bad stoppage in a championship fight at least give the man a standing count and warn him to show you something....
EXACTLY. Too many people automatically think the belt line is the demarcation point between a legal blow and a low blow.

No, no, no.

I've seen many fights in which the fighter wears his cup high as a tactical ploy, and the ref clearly shows a spot 3 inches below the top of the shorts as the border line.

I must watch Tony Weeks' instructions again to see where he marked that line.

Quote:
Not sure what Kathy Duva is really hoping for with the appeal. Even if the NSAC throws out the fight the market for a 3rd has all but dried up, given how Kovalev looked at the end of rounds 7 and 8. Ward has nothing left to prove against him and there wouldn't be much money. Kovalev needs to get to Stephenson before Ward can if he wants another shot at him.
I like Kathy Duva a lot, but her protest is based FAR more on financial reasons than ethical reasons. Kovalev is the only major bread winner in the Main Events stable, and a decline in his career severely threatens Main Events as a major promotional firm.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #3027
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
I like Kathy Duva a lot, but her protest is based FAR more on financial reasons than ethical reasons. Kovalev is the only major bread winner in the Main Events stable, and a decline in his career severely threatens Main Events as a major promotional firm.
I like her too, but she needs more and better fighters.

Kathy Duva Fighters
Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #3028
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

just watched two youtube videos of jim lampley and teddy atlas on their thoughts about the conor-floyd "fight".....they were both spot on. lampley's was recent and atlas' was from november of last year. p.s. ice cube hit the lottery with this fight without even having to bet on it.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #3029
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
One thing on the low blows that RJJ mentioned after the fight, both fighters but he pointed out Kovalev wore his cup above the belly button. He mentioned that being a reason that some of the "low" shots from Ward wern't called low by Weeks. Not sure if that is true but it offered a reasonable explanation in my mind. It was a bad stoppage in a championship fight at least give the man a standing count and warn him to show you something....
Just to go the other way a bit, kovalev doesn't wear his trucks super high like some dudes in the past I've seen where it's a blatant strategy thing - to me he looks pretty normal in there, in fact DLH looked like he wore his trucks a bit high in some fights.

But just to continue - even if they are a bit high, the ref usually allows shots ON the belt-line to be legal (and most if not all belt-lines are huge!) and there were at least a few shot completely below the bottom of the belt-line which were obvious low blows to me. The glove was touching the black part only, not the frilly lighter waistline area - no ref imo would say it's ok to hit below that line lol

As I said before I have no doubt SoG would have won anyway, it's just a shame that the history books look how they look in that it's 2-0 ward when clearly Kovalev won the first fight and I would have been down for a trillogy - but there is NO way that will happen now because of the decision in fight #1.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #3030
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
As I said before I have no doubt SoG would have won anyway, it's just a shame that the history books look how they look in that it's 2-0 ward when clearly Kovalev won the first fight and I would have been down for a trillogy - but there is NO way that will happen now because of the decision in fight #1.
Yeah, the only way a third fight happens is some wild scenario where Ward loses to someone else and Sergey KOs Stevenson. It will be very interesting to see who each fighter gets as their next opponent.

Although Ward deserves credit for this victory it was still an excellent fight.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #3031
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

guess we can look forward to garcia-broner now....interestingly enough, no trash talking from broner for this fight while it's business as usual for garcia. also, there is no cash penalty clause if broner does not make 140, according to garcia, if he doesn't make weight, there will be no fight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #3032
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
guess we can look forward to garcia-broner now....interestingly enough, no trash talking from broner for this fight while it's business as usual for garcia. also, there is no cash penalty clause if broner does not make 140, according to garcia, if he doesn't make weight, there will be no fight.
The only one I'm really interested in seeing before that is Joe Smith vs Sullivan Barrera July 15th on HBO. Not a total make or break fight for Smith but considering his spectacular back to back victories over Fonfara and B-Hop it would be a major momentum breaker if he were to lose.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »