Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #4473
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Just saw highlights of some brutal shots that Bellow landed against Haye.

Leaves Bellow to "bellow" about how good he is when he actually just beat a washed up fighter who was never really good as a heavyweight. Haye's optimum weight class (cruiser-weight) just happened to be the most ignored division in boxing.

It's kind of irritating to hear him call out the pound for pound king (Andre Ward) when he got manhandled by Adonis Stevenson at 175 and had a loss to Nathan Cleverly in that same weight class. I realized he's proposing a cruiser-weight battle with Ward but I agree with Paulie Malignaggi who said he couldn't beat Ward or the top cruiser-weights.
Guess Bellew missed the memo that Ward is retired.

Ward, unlike most fighters, has managed and saved his money VERY well. He doesn't need to comeback fight to ensure a solid retirement plan for himself and his family. Plus he has the HBO analysis gig for additional income.

No amount of sh*t-talking from a clown like Bellew will draw a Hall of Famer like Ward back into the ring. Bellew is a nobody. A Ward-Bellew fight might attract less than 100K PPV viewers in North America and definitely less than 500K on regular HBO.

Last edited by pk500; 05-07-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #4474
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
A Ward-Bellew fight might attract less than 100K PPV viewers in North America and definitely less than 500K on regular HBO.
I wonder if Sky TV receipts would make it worth Ward's while? Bellow and Haye reportedly split almost $7 million for this fight and Sky Sports Box Office estimated between 500K-800K buys although there sale at rate is around $25 unlike the $70 for a USA PPV bout.

Probably not as Ward would have to be guaranteed $10 million to consider it, and they couldn't reach that number.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #4475
All Star

Quote:
I wonder if Sky TV receipts would make it worth Ward's while? Bellow and Haye reportedly split almost $7 million for this fight and Sky Sports Box Office estimated between 500K-800K buys although there sale at rate is around $25 unlike the $70 for a USA PPV bout.

Probably not as Ward would have to be guaranteed $10 million to consider it, and they couldn't reach that number.
I know it's hard to believe about a boxer, but Ward doesn't need money. He apparently has managed his purses VERY well, much like Larry Holmes, who invested his money into real estate and now owns about half of his hometown, Easton, Pennsylvania.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 PM   #4476
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Just saw highlights of some brutal shots that Bellow landed against Haye.

Leaves Bellow to "bellow" about how good he is when he actually just beat a washed up fighter who was never really good as a heavyweight. Haye's optimum weight class (cruiser-weight) just happened to be the most ignored division in boxing.

It's kind of irritating to hear him call out the pound for pound king (Andre Ward) when he got manhandled by Adonis Stevenson at 175 and had a loss to Nathan Cleverly in that same weight class. I realized he's proposing a cruiser-weight battle with Ward but I agree with Paulie Malignaggi who said he couldn't beat Ward or the top cruiser-weights.
it would be nice to promote the creed tie-in as well....maybe ward can use this fight to gauge how well he would do against heavyweights.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #4477
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
I've watched the fight several times and when a friend of mine accidentally damaged a VHS tape of that fight that I loaned him it became the final straw.

I was in awe of the fight and the result-it was clearly the greatest upset in boxing history. What did Larry Merchant say? "It makes Cinderella look like a sad story."
the hbo legendary nights piece on this fight is excellent as well.....still can't believe they never released that remarkable documentary series on dvd. or even added more fights to series for that matter.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #4478
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredia
the hbo legendary nights piece on this fight is excellent as well.....still can't believe they never released that remarkable documentary series on dvd. or even added more fights to series for that matter.
I think most of them are on YouTube. For such a short documentary (I think all ran under 30 minutes) they managed to analysis the buildup, the prefight, the actual bout, and the post-fight very thoroughly.

I've seen it several times and I still get a quick out of Don King trying to take away Buster's belt because of the "alleged KO" in round eight.

Last edited by JayBee74; 05-10-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #4479
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Tomorrow night will be a good time to marvel at the extraordinary skills of Vasyl Lomachenko when he takes on tough veteran and current champion Jorge Linares.

Of note; Lomo's last four opponents have quit in their corner, including his last victim Guillermo Rigondeaux (ABOVE^^).

ERROR ERROR
EDIT: LOL, as many of you know including PK that's not Rigondeaux.

Last edited by JayBee74; 05-11-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #4480
All Star

Good call on the Walters GIF. Loma will do the same to Linares.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »