Home

Old 12-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #4873
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

I got a newbie question. Tyson Fury vacated the lineal heavyweight champion in 2016. So is this fight NOT for the lineal heavyweight championship? because then it kiiiinda is, right?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #4874
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
I got a newbie question. Tyson Fury vacated the lineal heavyweight champion in 2016. So is this fight NOT for the lineal heavyweight championship? because then it kiiiinda is, right?
The lineal heavyweight championship only exist as a public idea and who thinks Fury retains that mythical title after he relinquished his official heavyweight championships in 2016? He stalled the Klitschko rematch, did cocaine, and allegedly was doping his way out of any hold on anything.

But if you want to technically apply something that doesn't exist (the idea that the champ must be "the man who beat the man") than you could make a case for Fury still being the lineal champ reducing this "ghost belt" from somewhat relevant to absurd.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #4875
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

So Wilder wins 115-111 with two knockdowns including one in the last round. Read the recap of each round but didn't watch the bout-it seemed like a very good fight.

WOW...I read before everything was in-it was a Draw!!

EDIT: LOL, I somehow concluded that Wilder won by a single score of 115-111.

ESPN scored it 114-112 Wilder.

CBS gave Fury 9 of 12 rounds and a 115-111 margin.

EDIT 2: Adonis Stevenson is in critical condition after being KOed by Oleksandr Gvozdyk. He was up on two of the scorecards and drawing on one before the stoppage. I hope he recovers.

Last edited by JayBee74; 12-02-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #4876
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
So Wilder wins 115-111 with two knockdowns including one in the last round. Read the recap of each round but didn't watch the bout-it seemed like a very good fight.

WOW...I read before everything was in-it was a Draw!!

EDIT: LOL, I somehow concluded that Wilder won by a single score of 115-111.

ESPN scored it 114-112 Wilder.

CBS gave Fury 9 of 12 rounds and a 115-111 margin.

EDIT 2: Adonis Stevenson is in critical condition after being KOed by Oleksandr Gvozdyk. He was up on two of the scorecards and drawing on one before the stoppage. I hope he recovers.
I hate that for stevenson he took some brutal.shots at the end. Fury did a great job boxing and avoiding the right hand..if he had any power and sat on his punches he would be a real double threat..he looks slow and easy to hit but he has awkward head movement and deceptively quick hands..Wilder at this point is getting by on athleticism and that right hand..his actual boxing skills are suspect at best..I had Fury 7 out of 12 but that last knockdown hurt his chance at a unanimous decision..Both showed heart though..I know Wilder needs to get to the Joshua fight and earn that payday..he was close to blowing it yesterday and every fight exposes his skills..
Old 12-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #4877
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
I hate that for stevenson he took some brutal.shots at the end.
That was tough to watch (on replay). As most of you know he was put in a medically induced coma as a preventive measure against a possible brain hemorrhage. His career is over but hopefully he'll pull through with minimal damage.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #4878
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
That was tough to watch (on replay). As most of you know he was put in a medically induced coma as a preventive measure against a possible brain hemorrhage. His career is over but hopefully he'll pull through with minimal damage.
Yea his career is definitely over..it's sad but I saw him get hit and hurt more and more particularly his last 3 fights..His reflexes were diminished which is not a good thing for your health in boxing..He held on to that title as long as he could..but it's sad to see a fighter go out like that..He was competitive in the fight but those shots caught up to him..the head can only take so many shots before it reaches a limit..prayers up for him..
Old 12-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #4879
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 20

I had it 115-111, Fury. The Gypsy King won every round except the second, ninth and 12th. He was knocked down in the ninth and 12th by Wilder, so that accounts for the closer score.

Fury is a superb boxer for such a large man. I'll go so far to say I've never seen a man of his size with such deft head movement, feints and footwork. He's a marvel. Unfortunately, he has ZERO power for a man who is 6-9, 280.

Wilder is such a one-trick pony. He has a solid left jab and massive overhand right, and that's it. But when that right connects, as it did in the ninth and 12th, look out. The most detonating punch in boxing, and it's not close.

But Wilder is NOT a good boxer. His footwork is terrible. His head movement is almost non-existent. His tactical nous is a joke. He doesn't move in and out at angles. He is SO easy to hit.

A rematch should be next. I thought this would be a crap fight, but it ended up being compelling as hell. Wilder's utter lack of boxing ability but a punch that could shake tectonic plates is a perfect foil for the quirky boxing skill of Fury. Plus both guys drip with charisma.

I've seen thousands of fights in my life, and I've never seen a man rise from the canvas after taking the kind of atomic bomb that Fury absorbed from Wilder in the 12th. Wilder had every right to dance and do the throat slash after landing that shot. NO ONE on Earth besides Fury thought he would arise from that punch.

It was an incredibly thrilling spectacle to see Fury rise from the deck in the 12th. One of the reasons I love this sport so much.

One of the reasons I don't love this sport all the time happened earlier in the night in Quebec City. Light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson was knocked out by Ukrainian crusher Oleksandr Govozdyk and is in stable condition in a medically induced coma due to a brain bleed. I've never been a Stevenson fan and am well aware of his past, when he served four years in prison for pimping women, but no one wishes this kind of injury on anyone.

Get well soon, Superman.

Last edited by pk500; 12-08-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #4880
Pro

steelcityjames's Arena

OVR: 5

RIP HBO Boxing. Thanks for the memories.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »