Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
College Football Mod 19 for Madden NFL 19 PC Interview
What Trends Will Dominate Sports Games in 2019?
Voting Now Open for the 2018 Sports Game of the Year Awards!

Old 01-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #4889
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Saw the movie "Bleed for this" which is Vinny Pazienza's story.

I forgot the movie came out and was pumped for it, but for me it fell short in many areas which is unfortunate. Even as a life-long boxing fan I didn't know the extent of Vinny's great career and didn't know about his injury either.

So the actual story is utterly amazing, but the film-making falls flat in many areas - not all - but enough that for me the movie was just 'ok'.

That said, the movie is sort of for boxing fans because they don't explain a ton and just kind of expect you to know - for example - kevin rooney I know who he is, but watched with my wife who knows almost nothing about boxing. She didn't realize he trained Mike Tyson, and although they mention it in the movie it's glossed over and won't really hit home with non-boxing people. There is a lot of that there where you just are supposed to know. Another example is Roberto Duran, Vinny moving up 3 weight classes in 2 fights, and post-accident is a fabrication because he fought a few times before Duran - but they don't let the viewer know how famous and HOF material Duran is...it's for the middleweight title in the movie, but they don't create the mystique required to introduce someone like Duran.

The film-making also fell flat on highlights, emotional moments and crescendo's .. maybe just trying to be different? Sometimes the tried and true is that way for a reason.

The actual boxing? No movie has really done it that well and my favourite is still Gladiator (the boxing one from the 90s) ... loved that lol ... but here it's not terrible - it's better than southpaw (terrible) and sort of like Creed (decent) but with less haymaking connects.

Finally, it's a bit strange they used poetic justice for in-ring performance and less for out of ring. Example; his first fight at jr middle they had him KO his opponent in round 1? In real life it was a 11th round tko that was kind of strange. I understand keeping the film run-time down but there is other pots they could have condensed, could have used montage etc...

Vinny is/was sort of a weird guy - like living at home while being a 2 time world champion? not drinking alcohol, but having a gambling problem? lol

If nothing else it made me look him up - all I really saw of him growing up was his later career fights, I didn't realize how good he was, and how much power he had for a smaller guy. Later in his career he avoided engaging too much and did that whole walk sideways and fix his shorts thing - lots of flash w/o too much sizzle.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #4890
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 20

I met the Pazmanian Devil about seven years ago at the Boxing Hall of Fame Induction Weekend. He was a fun ball of energy -- greeting fans, taking pictures and signing autographs non-stop while working the crowd with constant chatter peppered by profanities.

Vinny Paz posed for a picture with my then 11-year-old son that I still cherish to this day, with his arm wrapped around his neck while hurling about four F-bombs in normal conversation.

He's a piece of work!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #4891
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Homerism by the announce teams is a big problem with all of the new TV and streaming alliances for boxing.

The commentators for DAZN, ESPN+, Showtime and FOX are total shills for the "house fighters," which last Saturday night were the Charlos. It was no different in the final years of HBO Boxing, during which the formerly excellent and objective Max Kellerman became a total shill for the predetermined HBO narrative, regardless of what was unfolding in the ring.

It's no coincidence that Max's conversion to shilling sellout occurred right after Larry Merchant retired. Merchant NEVER toed the company line. He was a true reporter.
I'd have to agree with this. I hate Max Kellerman and of all the things to regret about HBO leaving boxing, his not being on TV on an additional forum is certainly not one of them. But he did used to actually have some reasonable criticisms of the coziness of certain promoters to certain networks (including his own), and would at least on occasion call out some less-than-above-board judging for house fighters. But that hasn't been true in 10 years, as pk500 notes.

Re: Showtime, I'm not sure I would agree that their announcers are homers for the network fighters, but I think it's more of a function of there not being a whole lot of competitive fights on the network due to promoter-induced mismatches or whatever else. I'm kind of a Showtime announcing crew homer myself, though, since I just enjoy Mauro, Al, and Paulie (and Steve Farhood) as an announcing team.

ESPN has got to get rid of Mark Kriegel and reinstate Teddy Atlas to the analyst chair. But of course they won't, for exactly the reasons pk and allBthere described. Atlas, while over-the-top and excessive at times, will call a spade a spade when the situation arises. He will criticize fighters, promoters, cards, judges, colleagues, and anyone else, regardless of political or financial allegiances. It would not surprise me if Top Rank had something to do with getting Atlas out of the analyst chair directly, given how unpredictable he can be and how he has a rep for not being a company guy. But ESPN's boxing telecasts are so much the worse for not having Atlas doing the fights.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #4892
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Re: Showtime, I'm not sure I would agree that their announcers are homers for the network fighters, but I think it's more of a function of there not being a whole lot of competitive fights on the network due to promoter-induced mismatches or whatever else. I'm kind of a Showtime announcing crew homer myself, though, since I just enjoy Mauro, Al, and Paulie (and Steve Farhood) as an announcing team.
Showtime's top team is definitely in the can for the "house" fighters. They're just not as adamant about it as HBO's team, especially Max. But the house fighter can be getting pummeled, and Mauro Ranallo -- whom I think is quite overrated -- will still talk up the fighter as if he was the love child of Ray Leonard and Willie Pep.

Regarding Mauro, if not for the stupid puns and WWE-style inflections of his delivery, would we even know or like him? Probably not. He's too much sizzle and not enough steak.

Showtime's best team is its "B" team, the ShoBox team. Barry Tompkins is now the best active PBP announcer in the sport since Lampley is (hopefully only temporarily) on the shelf. He just calmly calls the fights and points out what he observes, deftly passing it to his color team of the excellent Steve Farhood and Raul Marquez. Farhood and Marquez deliver the same kind of understated, studious observations as Tompkins. They're an excellent trio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
ESPN has got to get rid of Mark Kriegel and reinstate Teddy Atlas to the analyst chair. But of course they won't, for exactly the reasons pk and allBthere described. Atlas, while over-the-top and excessive at times, will call a spade a spade when the situation arises. He will criticize fighters, promoters, cards, judges, colleagues, and anyone else, regardless of political or financial allegiances. It would not surprise me if Top Rank had something to do with getting Atlas out of the analyst chair directly, given how unpredictable he can be and how he has a rep for not being a company guy. But ESPN's boxing telecasts are so much the worse for not having Atlas doing the fights.
No, no, no. Can't disagree more. Teddy won't toe the company line. Refreshing, no doubt. But he has transformed his iconoclasm and strong observations into a ranting crusade in which the end result is more food for Teddy's ego. The guy bursts blood vessels just far too often, and it detracts from the broadcast.

I would love to see another trainer fill Teddy's role in more of a role like Emmanuel Steward on HBO. Manny forgot more about boxing than anyone on the broadcast team, but he shared his knowledge in a congenial fashion. Still, he was pointed when needed. He was pure class on the air, while Teddy is becoming more and more pure crass.

Joe Goosen was a very pleasant addition to the latest DAZN shows. He knows his stuff as a trainer and made some really good points during the telecast without forcing the viewer to ask, "Did this guy forget to take his meds today?"

It's a shame DAZN continues to extend the charade that Ray Leonard is a good announcer with something to say. Ray Leonard is the light beer of boxing analysts -- less filling, tastes like sh*t.

Last edited by pk500; 01-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:12 AM   #4893
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
No, no, no. Can't disagree more. Teddy won't toe the company line. Refreshing, no doubt. But he has transformed his iconoclasm and strong observations into a ranting crusade in which the end result is more food for Teddy's ego. The guy bursts blood vessels just far too often, and it detracts from the broadcast.

I would love to see another trainer fill Teddy's role in more of a role like Emmanuel Steward on HBO. Manny forgot more about boxing than anyone on the broadcast team, but he shared his knowledge in a congenial fashion. Still, he was pointed when needed. He was pure class on the air, while Teddy is becoming more and more pure crass.
Can't agree more. My opinion of Teddy has gone from irritation to repulsion.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #4894
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Showtime's top team is definitely in the can for the "house" fighters. They're just not as adamant about it as HBO's team, especially Max. But the house fighter can be getting pummeled, and Mauro Ranallo -- whom I think is quite overrated -- will still talk up the fighter as if he was the love child of Ray Leonard and Willie Pep.

Regarding Mauro, if not for the stupid puns and WWE-style inflections of his delivery, would we even know or like him? Probably not. He's too much sizzle and not enough steak.

Showtime's best team is its "B" team, the ShoBox team. Barry Tompkins is now the best active PBP announcer in the sport since Lampley is (hopefully only temporarily) on the shelf. He just calmly calls the fights and points out what he observes, deftly passing it to his color team of the excellent Steve Farhood and Raul Marquez. Farhood and Marquez deliver the same kind of understated, studious observations as Tompkins. They're an excellent trio.
I'd have to agree that Mauro is a bit of a lightweight (with apologies to Sweet P) when it comes to actual boxing, but his rapport with his colleagues is what makes the team enjoyable for me. It's a good mix of excitability (maybe over-the-top in Mauro's case) tempered by the avuncular Al Bernstein and with some inside-baseball analysis from the good-on-the-mic Paulie. But I would agree that the ShoBox Next Generation crew of Tompkins, Farhood, and El Diamante is as good or better. That crew is also beyond reproach.

Quote:

Joe Goosen was a very pleasant addition to the latest DAZN shows. He knows his stuff as a trainer and made some really good points during the telecast without forcing the viewer to ask, "Did this guy forget to take his meds today?"

It's a shame DAZN continues to extend the charade that Ray Leonard is a good announcer with something to say. Ray Leonard is the light beer of boxing analysts -- less filling, tastes like sh*t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Can't agree more. My opinion of Teddy has gone from irritation to repulsion.
I totally understand your points of view and I am definitely in the minority about Atlas. Your criticisms are completely accurate, and I do think sometime in the past 5-10 years he went off the rails into self-caricature. Having said that, if my alternatives are Mark Krieger or Teddy, I'll take Teddy every time. Teddy at least occasionally has good insights, and even if the cartoonish rants bug you, at the end of the day it's entertainment and Atlas at least has the potential to make an otherwise boring fight interesting by just hammering the fighters, card, matchup, effort, or whatever else.

I think Atlas is like Don Cherry (for you "Hockey Night in Canada" aficionados); everyone knows he's sort of a joke at this point, but if you're entertained by him, so much the better. For what it's worth, I still enjoy "Coaches Corner", although maybe that says more about me than about Cherry or Atlas...
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 AM   #4895
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
It was no different in the final years of HBO Boxing, during which the formerly excellent and objective Max Kellerman became a total shill for the predetermined HBO narrative, regardless of what was unfolding in the ring.
I don't know that Kellerman does that. I thought homerism was most prevalent on HBO when Lampley was cheerleading Oscar and Arturo Gatti. I think Max's need to be right is his biggest vice which is really showing itself with his continued diagnosis that Tom Brady is severely diminishing ("falling off the cliff" in his words), a point that he started over two and a half years ago ("Brady is a bum") and continues even after Brady's very recent dissection of his pick in the AFC (Chargers).

My most recent memory of a Max boxing call is Kovalez-Alvarez with Max giving Alvarez more credit than he deserved up until the final round when he concedes Kovalez's power was turning the fight. Shortly after that "Storm" stuns "Krusher" with a windup right to the temple that stuns the boxing world. I did think that he was pro-Canelo in the second GGG fight.

About five weeks ago ESPN signed Kellerman to a multiyear extension that runs through 2025 that includes his current First Take gig, a weekly boxing show, and a "prominent role" in ESPN's boxing coverage where he will preside over the broadcast desk position in the arena, rather than as an infight boxing analyst.

Last edited by JayBee74; 01-15-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #4896
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Dmitry Bivol-Joe Smith March 9th on DAZN.

Artur Beterbiev leaving DAZN to sign with ESPN.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »