Home

Boxing Off-Topic

This is a discussion on Boxing Off-Topic within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #5049
All Star

OVR: 20
Re: Boxing Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Didn't see the fight but my guess is that he quit.

Quit or not, Hunter was right to ask the question. And I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if he decided to end it, not Khan, because Khan was getting pummeled.

This fight bore out my new policy regarding boxing PPVs: If the fight is not a 60/40 or 50/50 fight on paper, then I will not spend money on it. Showtime, ESPN+ and DAZN already are getting enough of my money per month for boxing. I'm not paying for the privilege of seeing a match for which we already know the outcome before the opening bell.

Crawford-Khan was a 95/5 fight on paper, and it was a 100/0 fight in the ring. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. Found a good stream on Periscope, watched it to admire Bud's abundant talent and snicker at the fools who spent $75 on a card with horrible mismatches from top to bottom.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #5050
All Star

OVR: 13

I'd be interested on the buy numbers/profitability of that Crawford-Khan "fight", but if they made any money at all (and I'm sure they did), it's a horrible precedent going forward. Obvious mis-match of a main event in a fight that absolutely had no business occurring in the first place, with a string of poor undercard bouts, for $75. I'd blame the promoters and the biz, but if they're able to make money doing this, hard to argue with their approach....
Old 04-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #5051
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I'd be interested on the buy numbers/profitability of that Crawford-Khan "fight", but if they made any money at all (and I'm sure they did), it's a horrible precedent going forward. Obvious mis-match of a main event in a fight that absolutely had no business occurring in the first place, with a string of poor undercard bouts, for $75. I'd blame the promoters and the biz, but if they're able to make money doing this, hard to argue with their approach....
The only argument about the approach is boxing's continued disregard for its fans. There may be no more loyal fanbase in all of sports. If almost any other sport treated its fans with this much disregard, those fans would flee by the ship load.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #5052
All Star

OVR: 13

GGG and Abel Sanchez are Splitsville.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/new...gg-over-money/

Abel Sanchez dismissing with the niceties and putting GGG on blast. Juicy.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:35 PM   #5053
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
GGG and Abel Sanchez are Splitsville.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/new...gg-over-money/

Abel Sanchez dismissing with the niceties and putting GGG on blast. Juicy.
That's what led to Ray Leonard and Angelo Dundee splitting up. Dundee initially made a hefty 15% of Sugar's purses but generously released Ray from that contract with two years left when he started making millions. For the Hagler fight, he worked without a contract and made $150,000 which came out to 1.2% of Ray's take ($12 million). When he insisted on a contract for the Lalonde light heavyweight championship fight Leonard got upset that he wouldn't take whatever he was offered and that was it for the union.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #5054
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Wow, getting 7-2 on Jacobs?

Although I think Canelo will win it's quite a challenge early in his DAZN career.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #5055
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I'd be interested on the buy numbers/profitability of that Crawford-Khan "fight", but if they made any money at all (and I'm sure they did), it's a horrible precedent going forward. Obvious mis-match of a main event in a fight that absolutely had no business occurring in the first place, with a string of poor under card bouts, for $75. I'd blame the promoters and the biz, but if they're able to make money doing this, hard to argue with their approach....
150k PPv buys for Crawford-Khan which is horrible. I am encouraged because fans voted with their wallet but I am also dissapointed that Crawford wasn't showcased on TV as this would have been an ideal natural buildup for an eventual fight with Spence. He just isn't a fighter at this point that can carry a PPV card with a lackluster opponent. This was an obvious money grab and it was destined to fail because Khan doesn't have the fan base that he used to have which I am sure Arum banked on. You combine that with a horrendous undercard and you have the ingredients for a fail. I am actually surprised they fleeced 150k buyers. Boxing has an opportunity to showcase, showcase, and showcase, the money will come if the sport is properly promoted and fans respected.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #5056
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
This was an obvious money grab and it was destined to fail because Khan doesn't have the fan base that he used to have which I am sure Arum banked on.
Yeah even Sky Sports set this one out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »