Home

Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

This is a discussion on Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Floyd Mayweather v. Canelo Alvarez 9/14/2013 MGM Grand

Honestly nobody should be sayin any of that its clear that this is a great matchup for Floyd on several fronts. I don't see why Floyd would duck him for any reason
Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Canelo better start working on his cardio. Part of me thinks he's going to lose too much weight or try to hard to build his speed to match Floyd's which he can't. Only shot I see Canelo having is if he lands a shot that rocks Floyd bad. Otherwise it will be a Mayweather clinic as usual.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
All Star

OVR: 13

Yep, I see it the same way as everyone else here. The Trout fight really suggested to me that Canelo has trouble against slick, skilled boxers who are the same size, and has really relied on just being bigger than his opponents and bullying them in the ring. He fights in spurts (short ones, at that), and his stamina is suspect. He does have a lot of power, and if he can catch Floyd that could change everything, but I'd be surprised if Floyd didn't just clam up during Canelo's 35-40 second onslaughts, then pot-shot him to death while Alavarez is catching his breath.

Having said that, you never want to count a guy out with Canelo's power, and he has more craft than I gave him credit for. I don't know if anyone else has heard some (likely completely unfounded) rumors that he has had increasing difficulty making weight at 154 or if I just made that up, but it may explain his fighting in spurts and lack of stamina.

Anyway, I'll check back in with y'all in September!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marq
I think Floyd beats Canelo as well. Against Trout, Canelo was visibly tired for most of the last half of the fight. That will be the difference here. I see Canelo getting gassed early and Floyd firing away using Canelo for target practice. It will be entertaining nonetheless and is the best possible fight to be made right now.
what about matthysse? he's 30, more experienced - he's 2inches shorter than Mayweather ...

I agree with others, I think Alvarez it just might be too soon for him? I think the one thing that is actually over-hyped about Canelo IS his power - it's not doomsday 1-punch crusher "I'm peeing my pants" power... He's very good, I'm not really seeing him KO May even if he catches him though. He's 22, I guess for him, losing a decision will allow him to learn tremendously and become better and be a champ AFTER may retires (unless they get a rematch)

would anyone else rater Matthysse? I would, I know the weight is off, but I just like it better...maybe I'm wrong.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm glad Mayweather is giving the public the fight they want to see. Canelo is the underdog for sure. I hope he improves his endurance and doesn't run out of gas like he did against Trout. Maybe Canelo lands a big punch like Shane did. We'll see...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
would anyone else rater Matthysse? I would, I know the weight is off, but I just like it better...maybe I'm wrong.
I'm leaning that way too. The way he dismantled Peterson was epic. He looks so much stronger than he did before. Maybe if he keeps KO'ing the competition we'll see it happen.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
what about matthysse? he's 30, more experienced - he's 2inches shorter than Mayweather ...

I'd be up for that for sure. Both fights are good, and both could potentially happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
would anyone else rather Matthysse? I would, I know the weight is off, but I just like it better...maybe I'm wrong.
I would after the Peterson fight. Matthysse should adjust to 147.

Have to give props to Floyd for taking this fight. I think this bout will be tougher for Floyd then some people think.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »