Home

The Return To Prominence? 49ers Dynasty

This is a discussion on The Return To Prominence? 49ers Dynasty within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: The Return To Prominence? 49ers Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
Luck I guess. I didn't even bother getting O'Sullivan, my 3rd QB is Michael Robinson. (Who was very good in the preseason at QB lol)

Are you able to run at all with Gore? That's my biggest issue.
I wrote this in another thread and I am going to write it here too, whatever you do, do not run counter running plays! I get a huge loss almost every time I run them. I HATE COUNTERS.

Anyway. The running game is VERY hard to establish in HC 09. But when you do, it is incredibly rewarding. In order to get it to work, you have to be really smart with playcalling, and unfortunately a bit lucky as well. The luck comes in with exactly what you stated, often backs in this game will not go through VERY obvious holes. Heck even a rookie can run straight ahead. I can understand the occasional bonehead backwards juke, but not every second or third run.

Try and be patient with the run and make sure to MASTER some inside running plays. On blitzing defenses like the eagles, for example, go outside. they often (read: almost always) blitz up the middle and often running to the outside will work.

However, against tampa 2 defenses (which many teams are) pitch plays and outside runs are murder. The LBs will easily catch you and you just wont have the room. Your only bet is to run up the middle as much as you can.

In summary, make sure you master some inside running plays and outside running plays. Make sure those exact plays are the ones being called (the OC can be dumb). Run to the outside on high blitz middle teams, and inside on tampa 2 defenses. Lastly, and this is obvious, get a offensive line that can maul over defenders and get to the second level. I also found I-formation running plays work well (I love fullbacks). But since you are SF, I can only assume you probably dont even use a FB, so thats out

Last edited by chickenhed; 11-25-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhed
But since you are SF, I can only assume you probably dont even use a FB, so thats out
Actually, my playbook is a balance of I, Singleback, and shotgun. My FB is Dan Kreider, who is a blocking machine.

The bad thing is, even runs up the middle don't work for crap for me. If their isn't a defender in the hole, Gore decides to completely ignore it, dance outside, and get tackled for a loss. My line isn't bad either, 4 starters are 85 or higher overall. My left guard isn't great, but he doesn't cause problems by himself.

I do have a good number of runs mastered, and a variety, and they all seem to usually suck. It could be a dive, slash, counter, stretch, off-tackle, they ALL just don't work for me.

Sadly, one of my best runs is a created triple option, and Alex Smith has NEVER pitched it to Gore. That one at least probably averages 4 a run.

Last edited by MrNFL_FanIQ; 11-25-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNFL_FanIQ
Are you able to run at all with Gore? That's my biggest issue.
In my first year, I had no running game. Gore would routinely get stuffed in the backfield and was averaging like 0.5yd per carry. And like you say, it didn't matter if the play was up the middle or outside, or if it was mastered or not. Nothing worked, period. So eventually I began to throw the ball on almost every down, even in situations where it didn't make sense to do so. The less I tried to run the ball, the better off I was. A typical winning game for me would have only 5-10 rushing attempts all game.

At the end of my first year, the owner wanted me to fire the RB coach and O-Line coach. I did that and the running game was a little better in year 2. But my third year with the Niners is where the running game really started to develop. By that point I had put lots of points into my RB and O-Line coaches, so Gore was performing way better than he ever did in year 1, even though his personal attributes had decreased a bit over the years.

Last edited by sixtydashone; 11-25-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #20
MVP

I can officially say that after this last game, I'm done with the run. I've always believed in pounding the rock inside, and setting up playaction. But I am sick and tired of failed runs. I've come the conclusion that trying to stay with the run is only detrimental to me team.

I didn't get any offense in my 24-17 loss to the Giants until the 4th quarter, where I didn't call a single run. I came into the quarter down 24-3. Drove with passes, got a key 4th down conversion, and scored with about 11 minutes left.

Then, my D made a stop, I passed like crazy again, got another key 4th down conversion, scored a TD with like 5 minutes left.

Then, my D made another stand, and I got the ball back with about 2 minutes left, and my timeouts. Of course, I began to think "I might win this..." which you should never do. Smith got sacked twice, and I was left with 1:20 and a 4th and 19. Of course, to crush my dreams, Avery got open past the LOS, and just flat dropped the ball.

I still had timeouts, so I MAYBE had a chance to get it back with 30 seconds left. But on 3rd and long, they ran it outside for 25 yards to end it. (Ray Rice, I held Jacobs to 18 yards)

The running game sucked balls. Gore had 20 yards, only 10 carries this week. (A long of 9, telling you how many losses I had) Also, it said I had 27 yards after first contact, when I only had 20 yards. Yikes.

Apart from Avery's 3 drops, once again, no turnovers on my end. (No takeaways either, can't get pressure, it's brutal) 22-34, 237 yards and two TDs. With no run game, of course they can rush freely, 9 sacks were allowed. Willis had 12 tackles, 2 sacks, 5 TFL.

Pass D was still mediocre, 339 yards, 23-36, and 3 TDs for Eli. I simply can't generate pass rush. I have a bunch of runs stopped in the backfield, but few sacks. (Terrell Suggs has 2 all year, brutal) For the 4th time, a QB facing me is the offensive player of the week. Yikes.

Next I face I host Seattle with my 3-4 record. They lead the division at 4-2 (Rams, Cards are 2-4) so this is a game I can't afford to lose. Bober and Lawson both are out again. It kills me, I trade Spitz, his replacement goes down for 4 weeks. Lawson is less, but I don't have much behind him, and little is out there. Those two, along with Pears and Okam, are the injuries.

At least my approval only dropped to 16. The media, Owner, and fans all hate me, they're 0. They've lept from the cliff.

I'll post some midseason stats after my game with Seattle. This will be the last game I play before Thanksgiving, I doubt I'll do another one until Monday.

(Also, it KILLS me that you can't make staff changes during the season. I would love to replace my D-coordinator for Singletary...)

One last rant, Ken Dorsey's overall is 83 and he's the Dolphins starter. WTF???
Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtydashone
In my first year, I had no running game. Gore would routinely get stuffed in the backfield and was averaging like 0.5yd per carry. And like you say, it didn't matter if the play was up the middle or outside, or if it was mastered or not. Nothing worked, period. So eventually I began to throw the ball on almost every down, even in situations where it didn't make sense to do so. The less I tried to run the ball, the better off I was. A typical winning game for me would have only 5-10 rushing attempts all game.

At the end of my first year, the owner wanted me to fire the RB coach and O-Line coach. I did that and the running game was a little better in year 2. But my third year with the Niners is where the running game really started to develop. By that point I had put lots of points into my RB and O-Line coaches, so Gore was performing way better than he ever did in year 1, even though his personal attributes had decreased a bit over the years.
I hope I can get it to work eventually. I'll probably try with coaches and see where I can improve on the line, even though my line is solid for the most part. (LG is weak, that and CB are my main scouting focus right now)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #22
MVP

My second battle with the Seahawks went as bad as the first. You could tell it was going to suck just by the first few minutes. They moved effortlessly and scored in the first 2 minutes, and then my first offensive play was a pick 6.

I got within one possession in the 2nd quarter, but never caught up. After a safety in the 3rd, it was 27-15, and my offense struggled more. I had a missed FG in there from about 48, which would've been important. I scored a TD, but gave up a FG, and because of the earlier miss, I was down two possessions. I ran out of time and lost 33-22.

My run game was better, I had 2 or 3 really good runs. But I fell so fast that I only ran 11 times with Gore, for 52 yards. Alex Smith was awful, throwing 3 INTs on 24-42 passes. What made it worse is that my backup tackle got hurt. I was already down 2 linemen, and things were awful, 10 sacks allowed. Granted, some of that was Smith's general sucking, but some was O-line.

Both Furrey and Daivs had over 100 yards receiving, but my D allowed 332 yards passing. I stopped the run for the most part, Mendenhall only got 50 yards. Patrick Willis continued to show why he's the greatest player in the history of ever. 13 tackles, 5 for a loss, 3 sacks, 1 FF and 1 FR. Beast.

With that, and with Kyle Brady going on IR, I made roster moves. I cut Nedney, and picked up Alexis Serna so I have a kicker with some leg strength. I added Jeff King at TE, and Landon Johnson at LB (more injuries at OLB)

Amazingly, my approval ended at 16, about the same, it was as high as 58 during the game via defining moments.

3-5 is a brutal record, and Seattle is now 2 games up plus the tiebreaker, so the division is probably out of reach. I'll post standings and stats on the next post.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #23
MVP

Alright, here's the standings (Went through my bye at week 9)

NFC West
SEA 5-3
SF 3-5
STL 3-5
ARI 2-6

NFC East
PHI 6-2
DAL 6-3
NYG 5-3
WAS 1-8

NFC South
TB 9-0
NO 4-4
CAR 3-5
ATL 2-6

NFC North
MIN 7-1
DET 5-3 (WTF???)
CHI 1-7
GB 1-7

Currently the lowest WC is 5-3, so I really have a lot of work to do. I pretty much have to win out, or go 7-1 to have a chance.

AFC North
PIT 6-2
CIN 5-3 (LOL)
CLE 3-5
BAL 3-6

AFC South
JAC 5-3
IND 5-3
TEN 4-4
HOU 4-4

AFC East
NE 6-2
BUF 5-3
NYJ 3-5
MIA 1-7

AFC West
DEN 5-3
KC 5-3
SD 4-4
OAK 3-5

Player stats
Alex Smith 14 TD, 8 INT. 2117 yards, 146-226 (64%) 35 sacks

Frank Gore 372 yards on 114 carries (3.2) 2 TD, 3 fumbles
Michael Robinson 40 yards on 26 carries (1.5) 1 TD
Alex Smith 31 yards on 31 carries (1.0) 1 TD
Dan Kreider 10 yards on 5 carries (2.) 1 TD

Mario Maniningham 31 catches, 493 yards, 2 TD
Donnie Avery 26 catches, 466 yards, 3 TD
Mike Furrey 24 catches, 426 yards, 2 TD
Vernon Davis 24 catches, 390 yards, 2 TD
Frank Gore 22 catches, 175 yards, 1 TD
Next higher WR had 6 catches, although 4 TD's are spread between Kreider, Brady and Scaife.

Defense
Patrick Willis 95 tackles, 25 TFL, 8 sacks, 1 INT, 3 FF, 3 FR, 1 TD
Gibril Wilson 55 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 PD, 3 FF
Nate Clements 45 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 INT, 2 PD
Terrell Suggs 40 tackles, 12 TFL, 2 sacks,
Dashon Goldson 44 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 2 PD, 2 FF
Calais Campbell 24 tackles, 6 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 PD, 1 FF
Colby Bockwoldt 24 tackles, 10 TFL, 2 sacks, 3 PD
Antwan Odom 20 tackles, 8 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 PD, 2 FF, 1 FR, 1 TD
Walt Harris 20 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack, 1 PD,
Ty Law 19 tackles, 4 PD
Parys Haralson 18 tackles, 3 TFL
Dre Moore 15 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack, 2 FR, 1 TD
Manny Lawson 15 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, 2 PD

Joe Nedney 9-11, only 4 touchbacks.
Andy Lee, 40.5 avg, 34.8 net

Kick Returns
Josh Cribbs 30.2 (22 returns) 1 TD
Donnie Avery 33.7 (22 returns) 2 TD

Punt returns
Cribbs 9.8 (12 returns)

Right now, Willis leads Defensive Player of the Year standings, and is 4th in MVP voting. Alex Smith leads QBs in Pro Bowl voting. Vernon Davis is 2nd with TE's, Antwan Odom is 3rd with DEs, Willis leads MLBs, Gibril Wilson is 2nd with FS, and both Avery and Cribbs top the KR standings.

My team is 8th in Points per game, but is 3rd worst in points allowed. The game is wrong in a few spots, it says I allowed 675 passing yards a game. My pass D is awful, but not THAT bad. 41% 3rd down is mediocre. I have the 5th lowest number of Red Zone attempts and 2nd worst allowed. My turnover difference is -4.

Lot of work to do...
Old 11-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #24
Pro

OVR: 8

you've had a couple tough losses. hopefully you can bounce back and get some wins have you scouted any players for the draft?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »